Some interesting pics for you wingnuts

Opus

I got these pics in an email this morning. Thought you guys might enjoy em.

Here's what the email said:

"Last week one of our planes flew into a US operated airfield in Iraq during the day and saw there was construction equipment on the runway. Yet there was no NOTAM (notice to airmen). A trench was being dug in the runway, and it was not marked. It's a long runway and they just landed beyond the construction. They filed a safety hazard report that was immediately forwarded to our higher headquarters and to the Air Force wing based here. Well, it seems the construction continued and still was not marked or NOTAMed or anything. A C-130 landed on the runway the night of the 29th and didn't see the construction. C-130 was totaled, several injuries to the crew and the few passengers but nobody was killed."

post-26-1105050349_thumb.jpg

It sometimes seems the US suffers more casualties from training exercises and "accidents" in Iraq than in the actual war itself. <_<

It was ever thus... its been estiamted that in previous conflicts, enemy action was third on the list of causes of crew/aircraft loss, behind accidents, and - most lethal of all - weather.

It sometimes seems the US suffers more casualties from training exercises and "accidents" in Iraq than in the actual war itself.  <_<

It was ever thus... its been estiamted that in previous conflicts, enemy action was third on the list of causes of crew/aircraft loss, behind accidents, and - most lethal of all - weather.

For war in general, the 20th century was the first time in which actual combat became the main cause of death. Previously, more people died of disease and malnutrition in wars.

That flightline should have been shut down to any and all traffic. it shows a huge lack of ORM(Operational Risk Management). that base commander will be strung up i think. accidents like this are becoming more common lately because of the OPS tempo that has not slacked off since 9/11 .

Edited by HWR MKII

well i mean no offence to anyone in the Tsunami countries but our tax dollars are being thrown over there to help yet noone outside the US lifted a finger to help out in florida after 3 hurricanes hit basically the same spot in one month. the money sent to other countries could have had that flightline fixed weeks ago.

my heartfelt sorrow does go out to tsunami victims in all countries hit by it. i wish anyone here the best and speediest recovery if affected by it. i have donated money myself toward relief efforts.

Edited by HWR MKII

yeah im incliened to agree with HWR, my thoughts and hopes are with the Tsunami victomes, but HWR has a point, no one outside the US helped when florida got hit so hard, but when the president gave the countries aid, he was basicly called a stingy bitch and basicly guilted into giving more money, when that money could have helped fix that airstrip so we wouldnt have lost a million dollar peice of equipment and risk more live, or hell help half of central kansas who is still whithout power due to an icestorm.

Bureaucracy + Morons = stupid ass choices. [/rant]

these pics are a testament to the design of the herky jerk though. the airframe design is almost 50 years old and is showing no sign of being retired anytime soon. anther thing is that there was no loss of life(thank god) to add to that class A mishap.

HWR, Major

People there in Asia/Africa don't have a single dime, except for a very small

percentage in high places

Now look at how much money can be found just in florida

The US (like my country) is wealthy, don't expect any help when you do get hit

by disaster, unless it takes out 90% of your nation

(No offence, I just meant that the strong always have to do things on their own

because others assume they can handle things themselves)

Edited by Nightbat®

i didnt mean that is to not give anything. id just rather see supplies and construction materials and food going in there. also otherthings that could be of immeadiate on site help not just money that tends to disappear and not make a difference to the homeless once the recieving government gets it. look at the food riots some places are having. give them more food distribution centers from the red cross not money from our government that will disappear. thats why i donated at my squadron the red cross works on donations not on government allotments.

well i mean no offence to anyone in the Tsunami countries but our tax dollars are being thrown over there to help yet noone outside the US lifted a finger to help out in florida after 3 hurricanes hit basically the same spot in one month. the money sent to other countries could have had that flightline fixed weeks ago.

my heartfelt sorrow does go out to tsunami victims in all countries hit by it. i wish anyone here the best and speediest recovery if affected by it. i have donated money myself toward relief efforts.

Politically, yes, they should shut their mouths for that reason, but the difference between our hurricanes and the tsunami is the lost of life - the death toll was nothing here compared to what it will be over there, and that's the main thing.

Onto the topic, yes, I'm supprised the plane handled it so well. What moron dig this ditch and didn't think it important to notify anyone? It doesn't even look like there were any visual markers identifying the runway as closed. This was just stupid. :angry:

It's crap like this that makes me wonder how much of my tax dollars are actually being used efficiently.

Your tax dollars *are* being used efficiently. Just for who and what are none of your business. You are a member of the "have-nots", not "haves and have-mores" as Bush said at the Oct. 19, 2000, Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner.

:)

However, for now, you have the right to complain, or "move on".

:)