YF-19

EXO

It would be nice if Liquid Stone offered a special small sale to MW...anyone know how to ask them?

IIRC Seichi contacted them before to arrange just such a transaction for the Koenig Monster resin kit. But doing so would be a violation of their limited licence. If word got out to Big West of another transaction like that they could loose the ablility to make any more Macross kits in the future. Which I think would be a big loss to variable resin kit fans worldwide.

Understand...but from what I understand the limited license does not preclude them from buying more limited licenses (for other WF's) and they can sell some outside of WF as long as at least more then 1/2 are sold at WF. Youve had contact with them in the past...would you consider asking them? It would be a nice olive branch for them to extend to us.

Where have you heard that about the limited licence? That is very different than what I have heard. Since Rob has actualy aquired a WF licence I would tend to believe what he has said.

Wonderfest kits have always been strictly event only items. Specificaly the licence is only good from 10am to 5pm of the event day. Any unsold items can not be sold by the original maker untill the next wonderfest. Look at Patemori-Soba for an example of that in their current release schedule. Of course there are sellers that break that rule, and they do so at risk of loosing future licences.

I was able to chat with them at the last wonderfest like Rob and Noel have done in the past, but that in no way gives me the ability to ask them to break wonderfest rules and risk loosing their licence. As far as olive branches go they probably are looking for one from macrossworld. They probably arent too happy about their kits being recast here. And already people have put up the recast call on their newest YF-19. Its not even out, wasnt there a rule where no recasts unless its out of production? Liquid Stone is not likely to go out of buisiness any time soon, and the YF-19 proves they are willing to redo old kits that people want, so nothing from them is out of production.

There has been a recent change to the rules though, the Big West hard cap of 20 kits per WF has been lifted so Liquid stone can request to make as many kits as they can make. I would assume they are limited by time since they have to hand make each kit by hand. And of course they have to make other kits to sell as well, at the same time produce prototypes for various toy companies. But of course they can probably make more for the next wonderfest.

This limited licence stuff is getting ridiculous IMO.

Way to piss off your fanbase by releasing a product 99.9999 of your most ardent supportors will have no chance in hell of buying. 10. Measly frigging 10. Companies could make a fortune mass producing stuff like this. Why the hell does Big West love these damn Wonderfest exclusive one-day only licence BS. :angry:

I wish at least Yamato would get off their ass and do something. At least the VB-6 is a start. They could do so much more though with their real licence.

Edited by Anubis

This limited licence stuff is getting ridiculous IMO.

Way to piss off your fanbase by releasing a product 99.9999 of your most ardent supportors will have no chance in hell of buying. 10. Measly frigging 10. Companies could make a fortune mass producing stuff like this. Why the hell does Big West love these damn Wonderfest exclusive one-day only licence BS. :angry:

I wish at least Yamato would get off their ass and do something. At least the VB-6 is a start. They could do so much more though with their real licence.

While the limited licence system isnt perfect, it allows for regular people to make licenced kits. People who would not be able to afford a real licence. I`m sure Big West would rather have more major toy companies pay megayen for a real licence, but they make do with what they can get. People arent exactly lining up to produce Macross products that dont sell in large volume.

Liquid Stone, Patemori-Soba, Gokigen-Seimetsu, and UNbalance are not trying to piss people off by releasing limited numbers of kits. They are trying to serve the Macross fanbase to be best of their limited monetary and time resources will allow.

Liquid Stone has done their part to attempt to release their items in a mass produced fashion through Yamato. The VB-6 is an example of this. They provided a YF-19FP prototype long ago, its in Yamato`s ballpark now. All indications are that they will continue to provide as many variable resin kits as they can make.

• 1 month later...

Liquid Stone just updated their site, with some new pics of the 1/100 scale pre-built YF-19 resin kit, including pics of the decal sheet. Thanks to Bariaburu Faita for news of the update.

Now if only Yamato would buy the rights from Liquid Stone and release this as an ABS toy.......sigh.

Gotta love this pic of the three modes.

Graham

looking at the pics of the unassembled shoulder and wing in the link I posted, I love the ingenuity of the designer(s), how they have used seperate black pieces for the wing and shoulder stripes rather than having them painted on and how it fits together like a jigsaw puzzle. Sheer genius.

Graham

Yamato have got to realize that there is a huge demand for a nicely sculpted YF-19. It's been what 5 or 6 years since Yamato released their original YF-19 and these are long sold out and hard to find now. When they can be found, they command pretty high prices, US$200 here in HK.

If Yamato put the 1/100 Liquid Stone design into mass production, I'd buy half a dozen at least. I bet many MW members and Japanese Macross Plus fans would buy multiples as well.

Given that the Liquid Stone design is fairly small and could probably be made all in ABS, except for screws, the retail price point probably wouldn't be too high, ¥5000 or less I'd say.

Another good thing about the Liquid Stone design, is that as it is molded in 3 colors already, it wouldn't require much paint application if made by a toy factory, basically, just the red trim, the green visor and the black canopy frame.

Come on Yamato, give the fans what they have been clamoring for for years.

Graham

i honestly would buy at least 3 myself :ph34r: it looks nicer than the 1/72 scale -19's yamato made...and hey, they can mess around in a couple areas and make M7 versions of the 19 :ph34r: if that was to happen i'd buy 3 of each kind and in every color :ph34r: and no i'm not lying either...i really would buy 'em up

The LS version doesn't look or pose as great as the other blue transformable model kit down this thread. The LS like ewilen said lacks rotating joints on the hips. I also doubt that it can hold the gun with both hands in front of its chest in a classic gun firing stance. Looks like it breaks easily too.

The LS version doesn't look or pose as great as the other blue transformable model kit down this thread. The LS like ewilen said lacks rotating joints on the hips. I also doubt that it can hold the gun with both hands in front of its chest in a classic gun firing stance. Looks like it breaks easily too.

This looks like a job for the new Yellow Sub Kansetsu-Waza ball joints

Liquid Stone just updated their site, with some new pics of the 1/100 scale pre-built YF-19 resin kit, including pics of the decal sheet. Thanks to Bariaburu Faita for news of the update.

Now if only Yamato would buy the rights from Liquid Stone and release this as an ABS toy.......sigh.

Gotta love this pic of the three modes.

Graham

It looks very good in fighter mode.

Yamato do a 1/100 VF-19A toy!

That blue & white transformable YF-19 as featured in the June 2002 issue of Model Graphix magazine was a one-off custom job, using the Hasegawa kit as a base and would be just as or even more fragile than the Liquid Stone YF-19 IMO. Although the larger scale (1/72) does allow for better articulation. More importantly, the custom, scratch built nature of the blue and white YF-19 makes it not really suitable for translating into a mass production toy.

While the Liquid Stone 1/100 may have less articulation (hey it is a smaller scale), what really impresses me about it is that it seems to have been designed with an eye to turning it into a toy. I would think that the relative simplicity of the design and modular nature of the parts would readily lend itself to mass production if Liquid Stone (or Yamato) were to have some steel molds cut and make it in ABS.

Graham

That blue & white transformable YF-19 as featured in the June 2002 issue of Model Graphix magazine was a one-off custom job, using the Hasegawa kit as a base and would be just as or even more fragile than the Liquid Stone YF-19 IMO. Although the larger scale (1/72) does allow for better articulation. More importantly, the custom, scratch built nature of the blue and white YF-19 makes it not really suitable for translating into a mass production toy.

I don't get it. Aren't all "prototypes" a scratchbuild anyway? Why can't they take that "one off custom job" blue white YF-19, make moulds for it and make it in ABS/Die cast? It looks pretty solid to me for a model.....imagine how durable it'll be when its casted in ABS. That Hasegawa custom would make a better mould IMHO.

While the Liquid Stone 1/100 may have less articulation (hey it is a smaller scale), what really impresses me about it is that it seems to have been designed with an eye to turning it into a toy. I would think that the relative simplicity of the design and modular nature of the parts would readily lend itself to mass production if Liquid Stone (or Yamato) were to have some steel molds cut and make it in ABS.

Well simplicity is one thing. But I'm sure we all want something more detailed and articulate ala 1/48. Otherwise we'd all be harping for more Bandai reissues. ;)

I don't mind the LS version....but if Yamato has to choose between LS mould and others, I hope they don't get the LS one and close the macross plus franchise forever.

Well since it is modded off from a 1/72 hase, that would mean when taken apart, not every piece would stay as one piece as it should when creating the tooling. It was a custom modd, not something where it was intended as a toy to begin with. Models and toys are designed very differently. Note the yammie 1./72 YF19 was based on the SHE but it was not made from an upsized and modded SHE mould. Toys based on models almost all the time need their own mold and toolings. UNless they are based off models made from scratch from the start to begin with, like the liquid stone one is. THe liquid stone one is an all original mold, no other parts from other models like the hase. Least from what I can tell. Not to mention some of the pieces from the hase kitbash might have been thin styrene sheets and at that point, no matter what material, some parts extremely thin wouldn't cut it. Hence the need for a mold built from scratch from the start. This is not to say it CAN'T be based on a model ala the yammato based on SHE, but rather the actual mold has to be one that can be made from scratch, molding from a customized already built model is very hard to do and not to mention take apart for casting.Heck, what if the IHP hase kitbash is the ONLY YF19 variable they did? That would mean taking apart that prized model would mean destroying their notorious masterpiece, and I am sure the dude who made that would not be happy. But to make a mold from that that is what you have to do. Now if someone makes a mold BASED on that, thats when something can happen.

Graham, I can't tell, is the liquid stone YF19 Perfect variable or swap? And if so which parts swap?

Goodness that's IT? WHOA!! Man they even incorporated the landing gear!FOLDING!!! The intelligient badass @liquid stone who sculpted and engineered this gets the grand no prize and respect from me for today.

Can we get confirmation about thhe LS sculptor working for yamato though sithlord? Perhaps he was a freelancer just for the garland.

I don't get it. Aren't all "prototypes" a scratchbuild anyway? Why can't they take that "one off custom job" blue white YF-19, make moulds for it and make it in ABS/Die cast? It looks pretty solid to me for a model.....imagine how durable it'll be when its casted in ABS. That Hasegawa custom would make a better mould IMHO.

Well simplicity is one thing. But I'm sure we all want something more detailed and articulate ala 1/48. Otherwise we'd all be harping for more Bandai reissues. ;)

I don't mind the LS version....but if Yamato has to choose between LS mould and others, I hope they don't get the LS one and close the macross plus franchise forever.

What a lot of people don't understand is that there is a huge difference in the design of a toy and the design of a plastic model or resin garage kit. Converting a model design to become a toy, is not simply a case of just injecting ABS into the model molds instead of resin or model-grade styrene, then drilling a few holes and adding a few screws. Sorry, it just doesn't work like that.

Generally with toys, you are have thicker plastic walls than with model kits, the locating pins are much bigger and not just used for locating, but actually holding parts together. Then of course, joints have to be more durable and of course, there is the issue of screws and rivets which toys use a lot and the space they take up.

You can't for example simply take the Hasegawa YF-19 steel molds and use them to make a toy without extensive retooling. All you would end up with would be a thin walled, fragile YF-19 that would still need to be glued together. Basically, you would have to design the thing from scratch and have all the tooling cut from scratch. Same situation applies with most resin kits,w ith a few differences in that most resin kits use big chunky resin parts that have to be glued together and are made using silicon molds, which deteriate very quickly.

Converting a scratch-built custom into a toy is often even harder as athough many of the sculptors are very talented, they often don't understand the limitations of toy tooling (something Yamato used to complain a lot about when searching for good sculptors for variable toys).

What impresses me a lot about the LS YF-19 is although it is a resin kit, it seems to have been designed more like a toy rather than a typical resin kit, so if steel molds were to be cut for it, it could be put into production with little to no time spent on modifying parts because of tooling limitations.

Yes, of course I to would love a larger scale perfect variable YF-19 with better articulation and more detail. However, I think the LS would be a perfect candidate for a lower cost, smaller budget version, priced somewhere in the ¥4000 to ¥5000 range (similar to GFF pricing).

Graham

Hi all,

I know this is a wonderfest exclusive but how are some of you that plan on getting one getting one????????? Cuz I want!!!!!!! Any chance you could help me out......??

Get in line buddy! There are tons of MWers and other Macross fans waiting for this.

There will be a limited number of them at WF and I'm sure we'll see it up for auction soon enough. :p