War Of The Worlds Trailer is OUT! Summer 2005!

UN Spacy

i just saw the new trailer for War of the Worlds during the Super Bowl it looks ok so far, it was a quick commercial and they do not show any of the aliens or ships. i am hopeful though, it is one of the movies i want to see most this summer.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

do u know if that new one is online already?

I know the new batman one is already up.

i have not checked yet, i saw the batman one to. this movie, batman and star wars are the movies i want to see the most right now.

chris

i just checked it looks like it is there for download now so if anyone wants to check out the TV Trailer go to the official website located on the first page

:lol: I still have an old LP of the Orson Wells WOW radio play ...

I would rather see something closer to the book then the Spielburg/cruise film seems to be...so the Pentdragon flick is on my list to watch...

And seeing how the book is well over a hundred years old now (copyright was 1886 IIRC)...it should be in the public domain...meaning the public holds the rights to it, not a private entity/individual...Pentdragon would no more need to license it then spielburg/cruise...and no need to buy a printed copy to read, cause you can get it legaly for free...

Anyway way back when the spielburg/cruise version was first announced I drew up this concept for the martian walkers basied on the book (and trying to get away from the "steampunk" covered with rivits look many others have come up with)...very Nagano-ish, and a bit crude...but would be cool I think :)

post-26-1107748879_thumb.jpg

Nice sketch MSW its kind of what i envisioned too just with a little steam punk but not much. I know the story is public domain but its the title that counts to the movie companies because it is copyrighted as a movie once released. Paramount tried a few times to trip up pendragon along the way and has admitted to it though they wont state exactly what.

Speilberg didnt have anything to do with trying to trip them up. i think if he were allowed to he would have helped pendragon out of his own pocket. He is very much on the side of indie directors. i will see both movies but im looking forward to the true to book one more since it is what i have read since i was 7.

• 2 weeks later...

found one new pic of the speilberg movie , not much but it is something, has anyone found anymore pics yet? we already got tons of Star Wars pics but i would love to see alittle more of this one.

I know the story is public domain but its the title that counts to the movie companies because it is copyrighted as a movie once released.

Not quite true...

For example:

Crossroads: A movie about a young Blues guitarist with classical training who ends up playing against the Devil in a guitar face-off.

Crossroads: A pathetic Britney Speares movie with no real discernable plot.

On the other hand, if the title includes any copyrighted character names, then yes, it's protected by copyright. For example, Godzilla and Shaft.

Or if any other intellectual property is included in the title - like, well, Gundam or Macross.

Thats what i was getting at. both these ideas are the same essentially ,Martians attack the earth. the only reason there was no real copyright issues was the fact that the rest of the story outside of the martians attacking the earth are nothing like each other. Both movies are telling 2 very different stories set in the same way.

Edited by HWR MKII

• 2 months later...

looks like they finally updated the site with a second teaser trailer which i have yet to see until now. there is a scene close to the end of the trailer that looks like it shows the alien ship but you only get a quick glimpse it looks like they are on a ferry at night and it is in the background slowly bumping into the boat. it does not look like the original 1950's version or the mech walker from the original novel. the other big movie i want to see this summer.

chris

I'm shocked that nobody is talking about the Pendragon Pictures version of WOTW. Could it be that the trailers showed just how awful this movie will be? It barely qualifies as a direct to video movie. Besides, for all the venom that the Spielberg/Cruise version seems to get in some geek circles (Cruise I can understand, but Spielberg?! ) it actually seems to be fairly true to the original story, outside of the 21st century update.

Really, I was actually wanting to see the Pendragon release since it was suppossed to be almost the book 100%. If, as you say, the S/C version is true the story, just moved into the modern era I might actually see it then. SO long as a movie stays true to the book I will watch it, not like I Robot and Starship Troopers, which were totally off the mark.

Things being the way they are--what with this marketing driven consumer culture of ours--if anybody wants to know what the badguys look like BEFORE the movie comes out, just check your local Toys R Us. Back when I was in college, I worked at a TRU, and they more often than not started getting toys/merchandise in well before the movie hits theaters. That's how I knew what the aliens/ships were gonna look like in Independence Day, about a month or more before I could've gone to see it (which I didn't; I STILL think that movie blows donkey's balls. EXCEPT for Vivaca Fox's scene "at work." GOOD GAWD! DAS A BA-DUNK-A-DUNK BOOTAY! :lol: )

• 1 month later...

does not sound to good about the pendragon version :( which is sad because it was supposed to be accurate. looks like the Alien Tripods are in the Speilberg version as well. at least that is what i am seeing so far it could turn out well i am keeping my fingers crossed that it will.

chris

I hate to admit it, but I've never read the book yet. I know, I know; how hard is it to get a library card, right? I'm no masachist, but I'm almost tempted to paruse the Wal Mart aisles for a copy of this Pendragon ver. of WoTW. I consider myself a B-movie fan, and according to the review linked above, this film could set some sort of new precedent for cheesy suckiness. :p Why willingly subject myself to such a potentially harmful assault on the senses and good taste? I don't know--I just think they're good for some laughs, depending on the mood. I don't know which ones are more amusing: the B-movies that suck donkey's balls and [whose creators/producers] have the nerve to take themselves seriously, or the ones whose casts/crews know [seemingly from the start] that they've got a lame duck on their hands, and just roll with the punches, so to speak...

Too bad Mystery Science Theater 3000 isn't still on the air [meh, it just wasn't as funny after Joel left, anyway]. This WoTW sounds like perfect fodder, from what I've read so far...

Edited by reddsun1

i knew nothing about this other version of WOTW, the picture of the person getting disintigrated from the back and flying forward as a little red skeleton is funny though, brings back mamories of Tim Burtons Mars Attacks :lol::lol:

Edited by zeo-mare

:( t hat's honestly too bad that Pendragon's version turned out so bad, I was really hoping since its more accurate to the book that it'd be pretty good...oh well that's really too bad. Guess all we can do is "count" on speilberg and cruise.

Saw the Pendragon version yasterday. I AM SO VERY LET DOWN. Is it 100% by te book? Yes it is. Unfortunately thats where the goodness ends. The acting is worthless. I dont think these people in the movie have even heard a real english accent to save their A$$ES. tHE ONLY PERSON THAT WAS A REAL ENGLISHMAN WAS THE ACTOR WHO PLAYED OGILVY. Sorry for yelling but thats how bad is it. The others cant even keep their accents in the right part of the country. They go from west end to posh to country in one sentence.

The effects would make Rodger Coreman look up and say wow those suck and Coreman is the Bad B Movie King. Well the king just lost his crown. In the thinderchild scene it was like they didnt even know how to do the action they just threw together a quick scene. The boats look like they are floating ABOVE(as in 6 feet) the water. They didnt even put in the simplest of wakes. The martians look like some childs attempt at stop motion. None of the scenes even look like they were fully rendered.

I forced myself to sit through this film as punishment for buying it. Shortly after it made its way to the Microwave.

As the reviews on amazon.com say AVOID LIKE THE PLAUGE! The Martians are coming all right AND THEY SUCK :angry::angry:

I hope the Speilberg version can redeem this story.

Those giant "fingers" [in the 2nd and last pics] look like those on the hands of the Martians in the original George Pal ver. of WoTW. A little nod to the original film on the part of Spielberg et. al? Is it just me, or is the finger picking up that dude in the last pic slightly transparent?

I simply cannot get over my predictions of failure for this picture. I am usually not this skeptical, especially for a Spielberg flick. I enjoy a lot of his work yet every new image and news item I read about this film does nothing to overcome this sense of disappointment growing inside me. I sure hope this is another "Jurassic Park" scenario, which is to say I hated the idea of the film and was dragged to the theatre kicking and screaming. In the end, I enjoyed it. I can only hope I'm mistaken about War of the Worlds.

As for the media frenzy about Tom, I really don't care. Cruise is a freak for that silly star-religion scientology and I've always known he has been. He's also been an over-the-top personality and kinda goofy. Knowing that about him still does not harm my appreciation for Cruise as an actor. Hell, I adored Marlon Brando as an actor, but the guy was the most messed up human being I've ever read about in modern times. Besides, I tend to ignore most of what the media attempts to promote with their articles. It's more enjoyable to read between the lines and laugh at reporters that try to make a story out of "news' that you know is garbage. Or trying to make some big story out of some idot whose in love, like being an idot when you're in love is anything "new" to the average human being.

I've never really had a beef with Cruise as an actor. He's essentially just a character actor, after all. That's not such a big deal as long as you understand that. Hell, Clint Eastwood once referred to himself as a character actor, and nobody in their right minds will call his filmography "teh sux." But Cruise as a person...?I'm sorry, but he seems to have gone right off the deep end and he's going to drag Katie Holmes with him.

Tom Cruise, as a person, is a nut job.

But like you guys said, that has nothing to do with Cruise as an actor. Love or hate it, he was good in Minority Report, and excellent in the Last Samurai. Not to mention that Dakota Fanning is shaping up to be quite the actress in her own right.

Anyway, yeah, there are updates to the story. The main character was seperated from his family early in the novel, but it looks like Fanning will be tagging along with Cruise for the duration. And, obviously, it's set in modern America instead of 19th century England.

Despite the updates, from what little we can gleam from the trailers, it does look to be close to the book. The Martians do seem to drive tripod devices with tentacles. The seen with Cruise in the wreckage of the house is out of the book, as is the seen with the Martians knocking over the ferry.

All-in-all, I have pretty high hopes for the film.

What is the "Thunderchild" sequence I read mention of? Forgive my ignorance, if you will.

I'll put a little faith in Spielberg to come through on this one. His movies--although they all seem to follow basically the same strict narrative format/layout--do tell good stories.

First "War of the Worlds" Review

Posted:  Thursday June 16th, 2005 1:31am

Source:  Dark Horizons

Author:  Garth Franklin 

I'm not into posting early reader reviews as much as I used to but this couldn't wait - the first review ever for "War of the Worlds" from a trusted source who must go under the name of 'Noodle':

"It's fantastic. Spielberg is back to the type of films we love him for. No cute teddy bears, or candy-munching aliens to be seen here. This film is an outstanding return to form. Aside from the special effects, which were as good as you could hope (more on them later) Spielberg has come up with some fantastic set-pieces including an almost silent game of hide and seek in a waterlogged basement.

The destruction of buildings by the tripods is top notch. The film kept a real sense of B-movie charm, especially when you see how the tripod's laser disposes of humans. There is also one long shot where Spielberg has the camera pan around a speeding car, all the while following the conversation between Tom and his kids. This shot blew me away. Cruise does play a pretty shitty Dad, and he doesn't try to save the world. His mission is to save his daughter and son - though he does get one hero moment involving a Tripod cage.

The film is just what I wanted. It's got humor, horror, and amazing effects. By the way, fans of the book will NOT be disappointed. Considering BATMAN BEGINS, SIN CITY, and EPISODE III have all been so good, we're on track to have one of the most memorable geek summers ever."

Thanks again to 'Noodle'.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump: i saw it the day after it came out, i loved it what did you guys think? i thought the Alien tripods were excellent and would have made HG Wells proud

chris