War Of The Worlds Trailer is OUT! Summer 2005!

UN Spacy

I hope its not more of the same in terms of invasion cliche. Modernized tripod alien attack vehicles with disintegrator rays will be great though.

"They're already here" - I hope doesn't mean they're disguised as human (like the TV show from years ago). It also has Dakota Fanning in it, so hopefully it won't have the overused wise-beyond-their-years-child syndrome and Speilberg doesn't carbon-copy the kid from Close Encounters.

One of the cool things about the movie is that parts of it were filmed near where I live in NJ. So far, the movie seems to be a remake of the 1953 film directed by George Pal

:angry::o:( man i was really hoping this was going to be an accurate adaptation of the book, and not based off the 1950s version....

ive been following this movie since 2001. it was supposed to be set in present day NY like it is nowbut then 9/11 happened so they couldnt blow up the WTC like they wanted. PENDRAGON studios had the rights at first. with the present day option gone at the time they were going to do a word for word scene for scene remake from the book. PENDRAGON still has the rights but is taking forever to release the movie. BOBE is the speilberg one the same as this i havnt seen the speilberg preview yet but the pics at pendragon pictures show nothing of tom cruise and the story is definitely set in the right time period and country. now speilberghas it set in the present day again and in NY and NJ.

wasnt there a movie back in 1996 that was a retelling of the war of the worlds? OH YEAH IT WAS INDEPENDANCE DAY! lets see alot of aliens show up and destroy the earth and a VIRUS winds up being the answer to stopping them.

GIVE ME MY PERFECT BOOK TO SCREEN CONVERSION!

for anyone who has read the book youll know what i mean.

Edited by HWR MKII

hold the phone i just checked. pendragon pictures actually did finish production. heres a link

http://www.pendragonpictures.com/WOTWKEY.html

hmmm childhood may not have been raped! says there it has a march 30 2005 release date. and production values look good on it. if this comes out befroe the speilberg version(if the 2 arent the same movie) then speilbergs will flop. why go see the remake set in modernday after you have seen the truer to book translation.

Edited by HWR MKII

I won't write off the Spielberg movie quite yet, but I was not a fan of the 1950's version and I was really looking forward to a faithful adaptation of the book. I'm more looking forward to seeing the Pendragon pPictures version that HWR pointed to.

However, you give too much faith to the viewing public. They're less likely to watch the faithful version BECAUSE they want to see it take place in modern times, because they want to see a famous studio and director listed in the credits, because it will have big budget blockbuster special effects, and because it will get more media attention.

wasnt there a movie back in 1996 that was a retelling of the war of the worlds? OH YEAH IT WAS INDEPENDANCE DAY! lets see alot of aliens show up and destroy the earth and a VIRUS winds up being the answer to stopping them.

GIVE ME MY PERFECT BOOK TO SCREEN CONVERSION!

for anyone who has read the book youll know what i mean.

yup I would love to see a old school adaptation. I think Sky Captain and the world of tommorrow showed that setting people in a previous time period can put people in the seats.

As it stands, from the short trailer that showed me nothing at all except some explosions far far away, and from the voice over it does sound like a Independence day knock off. I actually liked the old WoW...

i understand what your saying radd but at the same time most people who know the story well are in my age group and make up a large percentage of the viewing audience. after the 1950s version and a poorly made tv series back in the early 90s i just want to see the book i have read so many umpteen times made into a faithful film. from what i just saw on the preview at pendragon pics it will be good.

also with the rush of book and mercahndaise sales that will happen before the speilberg release alot more people will probably read the book and want to see the book version instead of speilbergs well made but yet not true to book version.

maybe speilberg is telling the radio show from the 30s version. it took place in NY,NJ. iv just been a fan of the story forever.

right now it seems like the same thing that happened with dawn of the dead and 28 days later. two movies with really similar stories released very closely to each other.

looks like speilberg is remaking the 50s movie and pendragon is doing a ture to book version. i have to say that for the first time i dont want to see a spelberg movie. given the choice id take my chances with the underdog and see what ive been wanting. pendragons comes out first as well.

Edited by HWR MKII

sounds like they are trying to incorporate the THUNDERCHILD scene from the book into the movie. in the book the thinderchild was a pre ww1 dreadnaught which rammed a couple of the martians while the martians were trying to destroy fleeing ferrys on the thames leaving london.

when i read the book that scene is memorable now next year ill be able to see it in 2 different formats. origional and speilberg. ive got a pic of how one scene looks remember this is a production photo. IIRC in the book this scene was 1 day before the martians emerged from the pit in their machines. this summer i want to try to follow the "narrators" journey from woking to all the places he went to over here in england.

post-26-1102736401_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

I plan on seeing both versions! My first exposure to The War of the Worlds was the 1953 film, which happens to be one of my favorite classic science-fiction films along with Forbidden Planet.

I also read the book, which I also loved and have been wanting to see a film that follows the book's storyline.

The only incarnation of The War of the Worlds that I did not like was the 90s TV series. I mean come on, the Martians practically wipe out all life on Earth and only a few people remember that it even happened???

the director for the book version is timothy hines. one film he has done is the 1998 version of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" which again followed the william shakespear story from the book.

this is an old quote from hines the rest of the article shows basically how cruise wanted to do either version of the story. he had been interested since 2001 pre 9/11. Hines went on to say, "I am now convinced that the only way to make WAR OF THE WORLDS is to be one hundred percent true to the book. In the light of current world events, Wells' vision is more timely than ever and it needs to be translated to the big screen intact. If that's the kind of production Tom Cruise is interested in doing, then we may have common ground to talk."

paramount had rights to do a WoW movie but pendragon had the rights to do the book version. i may go see the the speilberg version if he keeps the pace and mood of the story as well as the book version.

Edited by HWR MKII

Wow. Another needless big-budget remake.

It's been a long, long time since anyone in Hollywood had an original idea, but maybe Speilberg will put a twist into the plot. Like the aliens are E.T. and his flat-headed, long-necked cronies. Several million have been hiding on this planet in stuffed animal collections across the globe until they were ready to strike. When their leader, Alf, arrives from Melmac and begins transmission of another needless talk-show, the squat bastards rise up and begin their reign of terror. They don't fly around in ships, but ride in milk crates strapped to the handlebars of bicycles driven by human children taken as slaves. They ride around the suburbs melting their targets with laser beams from their glowing fingertips until they find their objective: Reese's Pieces, which the flat-heads eat not for their peanut-buttery goodness, but for the strong narcotic effects to their flat little brains. A rag-tag group of survivors, led by Cruise, band together and initiate a daring plan to save Earth using re-colored M&Ms to "bum out their high". Do I smell an Oscar?

Nope, just poop.

I don't typically like to bash a film based off the trailer, but I'm not getting a good vibe from this film at all. I'm doubtful that this film will actually do that well. Last time Speilberg and Cruise teamed up was Minority Report. While I enjoyed the film, it was a box office dissappointment.

As usual, only time will tell.

It's been a long, long time since anyone in Hollywood had an original idea, but maybe Speilberg will put a twist into the plot. Like the aliens are E.T. and his flat-headed, long-necked cronies. Several million have been hiding on this planet in stuffed animal collections across the globe until they were ready to strike. When their leader, Alf, arrives from Melmac and begins transmission of another needless talk-show, the squat bastards rise up and begin their reign of terror. They don't fly around in ships, but ride in milk crates strapped to the handlebars of bicycles driven by human children taken as slaves. They ride around the suburbs melting their targets with laser beams from their glowing fingertips until they find their objective: Reese's Pieces, which the flat-heads eat not for their peanut-buttery goodness, but for the strong narcotic effects to their flat little brains. A rag-tag group of survivors, led by Cruise, band together and initiate a daring plan to save Earth using re-colored M&Ms to "bum out their high". Do I smell an Oscar?

Nope, just poop.

sounds good! B))

well i just saw full theatre previews for both speilberg and pendragon versions and they both look good. speilberg keeps in with the 53 version very well and pendragon has nailed the book version dead on from what was in the preview even down to the heat ray and how it looks( in the book it was described as a giant camera looking box). still no full images of the martians. i cant wait to see which way speilberg will go with these, big walking tripods or big hovering manta rays.

• 1 month later...

New preview out for the pendragon pics release. There is a sneak peek at the tripods legs and the "cage " they keep their human "food" in. It also shows the top of Big Ben getting blown off and crashing into the london bridge. its a rough cut preview but from what is there i really cant wait to see it.

• 2 weeks later...

what year does the movie take place in? is it accurate to the book? i am highly anticipating this movie. love it or hate it i have always been a fan of the original i am highly looking forward to this version.

chris

1889 right in the books set time period. even filmed in Woking england and surrounding areas. release date March30th, indie film though so it wont get too wide a release but we might be able to buy it through the pendragon website after a bit on DVD. I know i will

Nope, just poop.

Sounds great to me! Go and pitch that as the movie and see if they will change it! :D

Considering that pendragon is an independant film studio with no major backing and actually getting held up by paramount during production i think the fact they were able to pull it off period speaks volumes. I dont care if the effects are perfect or if the acting is the best i just want to see the book itself made into a movie.

Speilbergs movie may have all the money behind it but in the end it is just a remake of the 50s version taken in modern day. in this day where so many are wanting an origional movie i think pendragon has done well to take on the version they have.