best mecha titles for ps2

Feyd-Rautha

I really like the Gundam series. Especially the last 2 for PS2. Zeonic front is cool if your into a more cotrolling thing. Its like Rainbow 6 for gundam fans.

Macross for PS2 is awsome. But you'll need a fliptop to play it.

Amored core isn't bad.

RT battlecry sucks

All the Transformers games blow.

There's Gigantic Drive AKA Robot Alchemist Drive (i think that's right) but its *(!&@(! hard to look for it. I've been trying to get it for AGES! :angry:

YOu play a kid who inherited his dad's super robo and u control the robo from outside it via remote control. It sounds fun!

There's Gigantic Drive AKA Robot Alchemist Drive (i think that's right) but its *(!&@(! hard to look for it. I've been trying to get it for AGES!  :angry:

YOu play a kid who inherited his dad's super robo and u control the robo from outside it via remote control. It sounds fun!

Oh I have that game a copy though. Its fun but gets boring fast. Pm me if you want a copy. It sfor PSX not PS2, Unless you are talking about a sequel.

oh back to topic Rockman Power Battle Is fun for PS2. It is the arcade fighter many people have on mame and such. Well they made it for PS2 Power Battle and Power Fighters all in one disc.

Edited by Solscud007

There is also the Zone of the Enders series. Both were really good I feel.

There is always Front Mission 4 but its more of a turn based RTS. I didn't care for it myself from the demo, I did like Front Mission 3 though.

Edited by Effect

I also like the Zone of the Enders series. some of the newer Gundam titles are good, not perfect but they are good.. i do not know if he counts but ( I saw megaman mentioned, so.....)Astroboy from sega looks pretty good.

Yup, Front Mission 4 is tops in my book. While the plot may be a lot more simplistic than FM3's, the mecha designs and overall gameplay is excellent.

For a much faster paced game, try out the previously mentioned ZOE games and Gungriffon Blaze. GB plays more like an FPS and plays a lot faster than any of the Armored Core games (should be fairly easy to find and cheap too).

There's also Virtual-On Marz, but its just not that good compared to the previous games.

Macross for PS2, definitely!!!

Any Armored Core is fun...

Transformers isn't so bad, actually good, and quite challenging...

There's Gun griffin Blaze, really early PS2 launch title, it's ok...

Any of the Gundam games made by Capcom (EFSF VS ZION), and MS Z Gundam (same engine)...

I have Steel Battalion, but too bad it's only on Xbox, they should make something like that for PS2, possible pilot Destroids or something :-)

Edited by vfxraven19

There's Gigantic Drive AKA Robot Alchemist Drive (i think that's right) but its *(!&@(! hard to look for it. I've been trying to get it for AGES!  :angry:

Oh I have that game a copy though. Its fun but gets boring fast. Pm me if you want a copy. It sfor PSX not PS2, Unless you are talking about a sequel.

I could've sworn it was PS2. I saw the Gigantic Drive games for the PS2, but couldn't find the english version Robot Alchemist Drive.

Anyway, how does Armored Core play? I always heard the name but have no idea on the game play.

My first reaction to AC2 was that it was awesome. And it is, in many ways. But I am currently very frustrated by two factors:

1) The control scheme, which is exclusively button-based (no use of the analog sticks except as L3/R3 buttons). Mostly this is okay since I'm used to playing first-person shooters on the computer using just a keyboard. But the default scheme uses the L2/R2 (or is it L1/R1?) as look up/down. And even though you can completely reconfigure the controller, I can't seem to find an alternate scheme that works any better.

2) The game lets you buy & sell parts of your mech to try to come up with the best combination on your budget. In principle, this is great. In practice, it's a huge bore because of the interface. They have one subsection where you buy/sell parts, and another subsection where you assemble your mech. So you have to go back and forth between them constantly. Instead, they should just let you buy parts and equip/unequip "on the fly". I could understand why they would do things the way they did if selling parts earned you less money than you originally bought them for, but that's not the case.

The good news is that from what I hear, both of these defects have been addressed in later Armored Core games. So if you want to get into the series, it might be a good idea to find out which ones those are and just get them.

Another issue about the game which isn't quite as bothersome is that there's an economic system whereby you get money for completing missions, but regardless of whether you complete the mission or not, you have to pay the cost of the ammo you use and the repairs your mech. Makes sense except that (of course) you can always refuse to save the game after a mission that doesn't go very well. I understand what they're going for here but, so far, I don't find this aspect very satisfying.

Anyway, AC2 blows Battlecry out of the water.

[Edit: I originally wrote AC3]

Edited by ewilen

Gee... granted it wasn't a PS2 title, but what about Polyphonic Digital's Omega Boost game... yes the same creators that did Gran Tourismo... and the music and intro was certainly good.

I also recommend the Official Playstation 2 Magazine's Macross VFX II, it has a movie on one disc and demo on second disc.

oh back to topic Rockman Power Battle Is fun for PS2. It is the arcade fighter many people have on mame and such. Well they made it for PS2 Power Battle and Power Fighters all in one disc.

The one for the PSX was Remote Control Dandy, and I don't think it got translated to English.

The sequel for the PS2 is Robot Alchemic Drive and has what is probably the worst dubbing in the history of gaming. Its so bad its hilarious. The game itself is fun though.

Yeah RAD was 'fun' to play and it was really something once you understood and could manage the control scheme well enough. Theres just something soooooo right about watching a Semi truck sized Rocket Punch fly right over your head! :D The rest of the game was crappy though.

The first ZOE had iffy graphics, but had a better story. While the second had better game play it's story was nearly total suckage, it's ending was neat though! The glaring problem was that the series was like chinese food! By the time your done eating your hungry again!!!

RT Battlecry was pretty fun to play as long as you didn't game online through to PC. For all it's hits and missing it was a solid game that actually had a semi-good story to tell. It was fine to either buy or play, but it wasn't a keeper.

Front Mission 4 is one of the best examples of talented, highly skilled people making complete and utter fools of themselves. The game not only had a dry and EXTREMELY boring story, oh geeze we're in the midddle of a Cold War and someones trying to start a world war!!!, but the game play is unorginal, haphazed and very very very boring. It's like watching paint dry! Chess is more entertaning. Add in the idiot bound story delievery method and this games not even a 2 dollar rental and I made the sad mistake of buying the damned thing too!

Transformers is one of the best examples of console mecha that's out there. From massive level and well designed environs to excellent and varied gameplay. Throw in the incredibly well done video footage and it rocked!

It's largest problem was that it's basically like RoboTech. A game made for selling toys. No real story depth, only 3 playable characters outta dozens of designs, and 0 multi-player OR online capability. Sure the Mini-Cons helped to extend gameplay as did the difficulty levels, but neither were helpful because both ended up being the exact same.

Best Graphics: a split between ZOE2 and TRANSFORMERS with RT:BATTLECRY second

Best Story: a split between RT:BATTLECRY and ZOE

Best Gameplay: TRANSFORMERS

Best Fun: RAD of course!

Edited by chrono

My quick comments on the mecha games I own, in no real order.

Armored Core 2. Awful control system, too hard.

Zone of the Enders. Kinda fun, but repetative. Buy the prequel DVD and ignore the game.

Gungriffon Blaze. Stingy time limits on missions and magic power ups ruin this game. The Saturn Gungriffon game was better.

Transformers. Rather hard, but gorgeous as all getout, and very fun. The boss fight against Tidal Wave is almost worth the price of admission alone. Get it unless you are a G1 only loser still stuck in 1984 and 1985.

Robotech Battlecry. Stupidly hard, but with a little bit of sneakiness and gaming the system its a fun little game. Unless your hate of Harmony Gold knows no limit, its worth picking up. A lot better than most of the Macross games I have played. Ok.. its better than ALL of them that I have played. Combined.

Front Mission 4. This game rocks on toast. It does some things much better than FM3, it does a couple things worse, but overall its a far better game than the long drawn out ass ugly FM3.

Gundam: Encounters in Space. Picture a crappier, less controllable version of Zone of the Enders. With incoherent storylines since they figure you pretty much know Gundam by heart which makes it all the more annoying. Its the second worst game on this list. Only Armored Core 2 sucks more.

Gundam: Zeonic Front. This game controls poorly and is way too hard for its own good. Yet it kicks so much ass its worth the hassle. Zakus and Doms all under your control as you beat Feddie ass. Or try to as you replay each mission a few times. The trick is to realize you really DON'T want to actually control your troopers all that much and play it more like a very tactical real time strategy game. If you do this, you will achieve Zeonic Front zen and thus can play it properly and enjoy it.

RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive. The most brilliant idea for a robot game ever (you ARE the creepy Japanese kid in shorts who gets a giant robot to break stuff with!) the problem is the game sucks ass. Its a videogame version of rockem sockem robots except with a horrible framerate and a camera you have to move around so you can see what the hell is going on. That can die since you play the game from your viewpoint and not from the robot. Who is controlled with both analog sticks as fist controls, and who needs to have shoulder button presses for each step it makes. This game is raw sewage and is quite possibly one of the worst games I have ever played, especially since the concept is so fuggin awesome.

Overall, Zeonic Front, Front Mission 4, and Transformers are must plays, with Gungriffon Blaze and Robotech Battlecry being decent if flawed. Gundam Encounters in Space, RAD, and Armored Core 2 suck ass and should not be played.

well i belive its time for me to add my $0.02

I can only speak for my self, but the Armored Core series is one of my favorites.

the Controls may be hard to pick up at first (were for me) but then they became very comfortable, and while the stories may be a bit dry, its a great game if you like to stomp around blowing things up in your cusomized mech. and its a blast in vs if you have a compatent adversary.

Next on my list

Front Mission 4, awsome game, great story chalenging, just a good game.

MSG: Journy to Jabouro (Sp?) this game was well Gundam..... dunno what else to say realy

anyway thats all for now, is 6 am here and i need sleep :p

Just FYI to those complaining about Armored Core's control scheme... AC: Nexus switched over to dual analog sticks, with firing moved down to the triggers. In short, much more fluid than the old scheme. Give it a try.

Shame that Nexus jumped the shark by getting rid of OP-Intensify and punishing you for boosting, though. I might rent it eventually, but I sure as hell won't blindly buy it like I did the last 8 games. :(

Macross for PS2 is awsome.  But you'll need a fliptop to play it.

Kinda OT: How easy is it to mod the newer smaller PS2? I've been wanting to play Sega's Macross like forever.

Try forums.afterdawn.com and search on "slimline" or "pstwo". Looks like there's at least one modchip as well as some homebrew modifications, but also some reports of less than 100% success and some risk regarding the laser burning out (which may or may not just be a factor of the PSTwo itself having a lesser-quality laser).

Also see: http://www.modchipman.com/newsdesk_info.ph...&newsdesk_id=10

I can't vouch for any of the methods mentioned as I haven't tried them myself. Merely summarizing what I just read.

Just FYI to those complaining about Armored Core's control scheme... AC: Nexus switched over to dual analog sticks, with firing moved down to the triggers.  In short, much more fluid than the old scheme.  Give it a try.

Shame that Nexus jumped the shark by getting rid of OP-Intensify and punishing you for boosting, though. I might rent it eventually, but I sure as hell won't blindly buy it like I did the last 8 games. :(

Who ever used OP-intensify anyway? I never have...seemed kinda cheap to me. Even when just playing against the AI/missions I only used it if I couldn't get a secret part and needed an unfair edge.

My personal choices would be Macross, the two Capcom Gundam games (Federation vs. Zeon and AEUG vs. Titans), and ZOE. I also LOVED the Transformers game. Sure, it's Armada, but you could do what I did and play the entire game as Prime. There's plenty of stuff in it from G1, including several lines in the opening movie lifted from the G1 Transformers movie.

Just FYI to those complaining about Armored Core's control scheme... AC: Nexus switched over to dual analog sticks, with firing moved down to the triggers.  In short, much more fluid than the old scheme.  Give it a try.

Who ever used OP-intensify anyway? I never have...seemed kinda cheap to me. Even when just playing against the AI/missions I only used it if I couldn't get a secret part and needed an unfair edge.

But that's just it.

It was a part you could use or leave behind.. hell, you needed to go out of your way and preform specific tasks to even unlock its abilities. It's existed, either as Human+ or OP-Intensify since the first game.

Why the hell should a bunch of people whining that it 'unbalances the game' despite them NEVER BEING FORCED TO USE IT. They did not have to use it, they did not have to face it in human versus (just bitchslap the fool if he refuses to fight without it), etc. Yet FROM SOFTWARE took it out just to satisfy the whiners.

Hell, it's not like it changed the 1-player game.. the AI players STILL have Human+/OP-I abilities.

AEUG vs Titans is awesome, but you need a means of playing imports.

The graphics, while they won't astound you, are certainly good enough to be playable. They defenitely seem better than Renpou vs Zeon. (Federation vs Zeon)

The gameplay is what really matters, though. Somehow, everything just seems so dynamic. Missions will flow so well, jumping up and diving down on opponents to slaughter them with a meele combo, then wheeling around and transforming to blast off toward the next target, and shooting it down in a hail of beam fire.

Rarely have I ever played a game and wished I could replay a mission, but there's nothing like being on the surface of the moon, piloting a Marasai, in a fast paced battle with oncoming hordes of GMs and Nemos, all set to "Believe in the Sign of Zeta".

But that's just it.

It was a part you could use or leave behind.. hell, you needed to go out of your way and preform specific tasks to even unlock its abilities. It's existed, either as Human+ or OP-Intensify since the first game.

Why the hell should a bunch of people whining that it 'unbalances the game' despite them NEVER BEING FORCED TO USE IT. They did not have to use it, they did not have to face it in human versus (just bitchslap the fool if he refuses to fight without it), etc. Yet FROM SOFTWARE took it out just to satisfy the whiners.

Hell, it's not like it changed the 1-player game.. the AI players STILL have Human+/OP-I abilities.

I see what you are saying...but to me OP-intensify was never a big part of the game...and I just find it difficult to believe that it is singled out as a significant change/drawback of Nexus.

No biggie really. I certainly didn't see it as being any bigger than weapons needing to reload or being inaccurate. THOSE change the game and the experiance much more than OP-I, at least for me.

The graphics, while they won't astound you, are certainly good enough to be playable. They defenitely seem better than Renpou vs Zeon. (Federation vs Zeon)

The gameplay is what really matters, though. Somehow, everything just seems so dynamic. Missions will flow so well, jumping up and diving down on opponents to slaughter them with a meele combo, then wheeling around and transforming to blast off toward the next target, and shooting it down in a hail of beam fire.

Rarely have I ever played a game and wished I could replay a mission, but there's nothing like being on the surface of the moon, piloting a Marasai, in a fast paced battle with oncoming hordes of GMs and Nemos, all set to "Believe in the Sign of Zeta".

sounds killer.. :o

is the game based on an anime series..?

and a...................variable mech in this game??? :rolleyes:

It's based on Z Gundam.

It's a lot better than Federation vs. Zeon. The sub weapons like head vulcans are actually useful, the missions are more interesting, plus the music is better and there are a lot more (and IMHO, cooler) mobile suits. Missions flow better, and you earn points you can use to repair mecha. That way, instead of playing as a GM 99% of the time and using Gundam in maybe 3 missions like in the first one, you can use the "hero suits" from time to time, and near the end of the game, just keep repairing and reusing them. Fans of FvZ should definately check out AEUG vs. Titans (as long as they have a way to play imports).

Speaking of imports, there's a mecha title coming out in January... I can't remember the name, but I think it's being developed by From Software, and it has a variety of mecha from a variety of different shows, including several mobile suits from various Gundam series. If anyone remembers what it's called, please let me know, because the game looked great and I definately want to import it.

Edited by mikeszekely

It's based on Z Gundam.

It's a lot better than Federation vs. Zeon. The sub weapons like head vulcans are actually useful, the missions are more interesting, plus the music is better and there are a lot more (and IMHO, cooler) mobile suits. Missions flow better, and you earn points you can use to repair mecha. That way, instead of playing as a GM 99% of the time and using Gundam in maybe 3 missions like in the first one, you can use the "hero suits" from time to time, and near the end of the game, just keep repairing and reusing them. Fans of FvZ should definately check out AEUG vs. Titans (as long as they have a way to play imports).

Speaking of imports, there's a mecha title coming out in January... I can't remember the name, but I think it's being developed by From Software, and it has a variety of mecha from a variety of different shows, including several mobile suits from various Gundam series. If anyone remembers what it's called, please let me know, because the game looked great and I definately want to import it.

Yeah, I remember it, the ACE game.