PSP Official Discussion thread.

bandit29

I just went to best buys in san jose near wester field mall/santana row and the the display where they keep the psp game had a advertise ment says buy any 2 psp soft ware(games) and get 15 dollars off.  So I got hooked up but they made me fill out this weird form like the advertise ment shouldn't be there but if your lucky maybe you guys can get the 15 bucks off.  Okay guys I order the 1 gb from dell it'll be here some time soon I hope.  I downloaded the psp9 movie converter but like one 20-30min episode of anime is like 250 mb how do you guys fit like 4 episodes in a 512 mb?  Do you guys use a movie compressor?  My cousin told me that a 2 hr movie is 1gb and a half but the compressor gives you a choice to convert it into a 250-512 or 750 mb quality movie.  what settings do you guys use to get a good quality and where can I down load the movie compressor?  Also I picked up hero at target for 25 buck ever where else is like 30bucks crazy huh  :p.  Also my gf pick up a psp but no spider man movie she said  :( .  Can anybody recommend a website that sell umd movies for the psp. 

from Rich

:D

Change the settings to either anime 0-2 hours or movie 0-2 hours. I use the movie settings. For some reason when I use the anime setting it throws the voice off. You should be able to squeeze down a 23 minute episode to 83-86 MB. I can get 5, 23minute episodes on a 512MB card

You can also download DVDshrink to shrink the orignal VOB file down and then run it through PSPvideo9. The file will be the same size (83-86MB) it just won't take as long. For example an episode of Last Exile is about 1.5 GB I shrunk it down to 500MB and then ran it through PSPvideo9. The quality was the same when compared to an uncompressed version.

Edited by dejr8bud

seems like the spiderman 2 movie only came with the first shipments of the psp... my friend got a psp at bestbuy like 3 weeks after launch and he didn't get the movie either...i did suggest just lyin' his ass of and tellin' sony it was supposed to come with it and it was advertised on the box...i even went as far as suggesting he use my serial to get it! :lol: ahh well, he has that movie anyways, dunno what he's trippin' on <_< ...

seems like the spiderman 2 movie only came with the first shipments of the psp... my friend got a psp at bestbuy like 3 weeks after launch and he didn't get the movie either...i did suggest just lyin' his ass of and tellin' sony it was supposed to come with it and it was advertised on the box...i even went as far as suggesting he use my serial to get it! :lol: ahh well, he has that movie anyways, dunno what he's trippin' on <_< ...

Spiderman 2 was only supposed to come with the first million units...so I guess that means the PSP has sold over a million?

The PSP is completely gone in my area, 20 minutes outside of Chicago.

Well they may not have sold a million, but they shipped out the first million units the first twoweeks of release, so.... The major cities sold out of their stock and got second shipment units with no Spiderman UMD. Out in bumpkinville, like my town, you can still find first shipment units on the shelves of some Target and WalMart stores and they have the spiderman UMD.

Those will get increasingly rare over the coming month or two till thye sell them out.

I expect that the occasional first shipment unit will still pop up every once in a while though.

thanks dejr8bud for the info :lol:

Some people got he logitech play gear pocket and notice the lose fit if any one still has the blister packaging for the logitech play gear pocket you will notice 4 little oval black sticky foam pieces becareful when peeling those off becasue they will rip in half. Than place them on outer rim of the of the rubber lining of the inside of the logitech play gear pocket. The psp should fit snugly in the play gear pocket now. You may only need 3 of the 4 black foam pieces it varys. You can also trim the black foam pieces to get a cleaner fit. When peeling the 4 black oval pieces off the blister package you might notice the white sticky piece left behind you wont need it trust me the black oval foam pieces will still be sticky.

from Rich :)

Out in bumpkinville, like my town, you can still find first shipment units on the shelves...

Is that near Podunk?

Pretty close, The Town of Soddy Daisy, Tennessee has one grocery store, a few used car lots and a mexican restaurant, ....Oh and a Super Walmart:

post-26-1115413551_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ghadrack

Out in bumpkinville, like my town, you can still find first shipment units on the shelves...

Is that near Podunk?

Pretty close, The Town of Soddy Daisy, Tennessee has one grocery store, a few used car lots and a mexican restaurant, ....Oh and a Super Walmart:

I was just wondering because I live in BFE. :D

I jsut got hotshots. fun game. need to learn it more.

I tried it. I like the games cute and carefree style, but I absolutely can't stand it's outdated gameplay. I mean, golf games with swing meters have been around since at least when I was in 6th grade (I've been out of college for three years, for reference). If they took the style of Hot Shots but used the analog stick to swing ala Tiger Woods, Outlaw Golf, or Links, it'd probably be my favorite PSP game. As it stands, I'll stick with Tiger Woods.

Hot Shots rocks. I traded in half a dozen games at Gamestop saturday the extra 40% credit really helped btw B)) and used the credit to get it (plus I gotta cool Yu Yu Hakusho backpack next door at the Ross). I've played the series since it's PSX/PSone days and it still plays great like it's PS2 counterparts (3 and Fore). I'll be playing the hell out of it this week :D !

Fox Jumps on PSP Bandwagon

Twentieth Century Fox has joined Sony and Disney in releasing movies for Sony's new PlayStation Portable device in the UMD format in July. The studio's home video unit said today (Monday) that it plans to release I, Robot, Napoleon Dynamite, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, Super Troopers, and Predator. In a statement, Fox said it had "a burgeoning catalog of releases immediately scheduled for subsequent waves."

well seein' studios step into the psp is both good and bad...good that we're getting more of a selection of movies but bad if you already owe the dvds and don't have a computer to encode or afford a memory stick large enough to put videos on...it would be good for those of us who don't own many dvds or travel a lot...dunno tho...i think the FF7 movie is gonna be the only movie i get for my psp

I really need to get one of those gig sticks or something when I make enough bling :p then I can put on some anime like Macross Zero oooorr uuuuuhhhhh Gundam SEED or something like that, that'd be cool!

45 minutes of BSG took up about 375MB. It looked freakin' awsome too.

BSG? Whats that? Anyway if you are using PSPvideo9 to convert to MP4 you should be able to get lower than 375MB for 45min. I got Macross Plus episode 1

(about 40 minutes) to 141MB and the quality is pretty good.

BSG: Battlestar Galactica. 375 megs doesn't sound very impressive though, barely 3 episodes on a 1 gig card... I want Sony to release UMD writers and UMD discs damnit!

Anybody care to say a few words on the Bleach game? Between that, Lumines, and another game I might actually jump onto the PSP bandwagon... maybe a Naruto or SRW game... yeah.. :drool:

haha so true haha.

The annoying thing about the onscreen key board is that it is styled like a phone key pad. so you have the hit the same button a bunch of times before getting the letter or number you want. and the number zero is a pain in the butt as there are a slew of characters preceeding the actual number.

I can't wait to see what key board options will be shown at E3

Oh I got the logitech case at Target and they have this cardboard advert for the PSP with a 1:1 scale punch out card of the PSP So I took a bunch and punched one out and used it as my picture for the case.

post-26-1115828798_thumb.jpg

Oh I got the logitech case at Target and they have this cardboard advert for the PSP with a 1:1 scale punch out card of the PSP So I took a bunch and punched one out and used it as my picture for the case.

That was freaky! I almost thought you'd found a clear case!

The annoying thing about the onscreen key board is that it is styled like a phone key pad. so you have the hit the same button a bunch of times before getting the letter or number you want. and the number zero is a pain in the butt as there are a slew of characters preceeding the actual number.

That's really weird, considering it's an onscreen keyboard anyways. I wonder if they did it like that instead of a QWERTY style because they though it'd be easier to use, don't have to kee scrolling around for keys spread out over a full sized keyboard.

I'm surprised no one on this thread has talked about the emulators currently being developed for the PSP.

post-26-1115842417_thumb.jpg

From what I have heard and read, a couple people have cracked the basic game encoding system that is used on PSP games, this discovery will allow them to duplicate the startup programs that interface with the PSP OS. They have only got it to work on the japanese PSP version 1.0 with no firmware upgrades, but essentially this is the first step to being able to "Mod" psp's to run non'official software.

It is still early, and only works on japanese PSP's with the version 1.0 un-upgraded OS so there hasn't been a lot of fanfare but we are right around the corner from Emulators for our PSP's. As soon as someone fingers out how to get a portable mini-hd hooked up to the PSP we will be able to carry around every video game ever made up to about 1999 in a couple 40 gig mini-drives.

Just give it a year, enterprising individuals will be selling portable HD's pre-loaded with the history of video games for your PSP.

As soon as someone fingers out how to get a portable mini-hd hooked up to the PSP we will be able to carry around every video game ever made up to about 1999 in a couple 40 gig mini-drives.

Just give it a year, enterprising individuals will be selling portable HD's pre-loaded with the history of video games for your PSP.

I don't think any kind of hard drive attachment for the PSP is necessary. The PSP is designed to be able to execute software from the Memory Stick. The idea is that you'd be able to download demos and what not.

Considering that most roms are rarely more than a few megabytes, even the 32mb stick that comes with the PSP would be able to store your game saves, the emulator, and a handful of roms.

The trick, at the moment, seems to be getting the PSP to recognize the emulators as executable.

Personally, I can't wait for a GBA emulator for the PSP...

Considering that most roms are rarely more than a few megabytes, even the 32mb stick that comes with the PSP would be able to store your game saves, the emulator, and a handful of roms.

But what good is a PSP that can't run Killer Instinct and Cruisin' USA?

</sarcasm>

But what good is a PSP that can't run Killer Instinct and Cruisin' USA?

</sarcasm>

I'm not sure what you're thinking, and I refuse to believe your mixing megabits with megabytes... but I have Killer Instinct for the SNES clocking in at 4mb unzipped.

well it would be cool to play mario 3 or mario all-stars on my psp or even if the n64 games are playable i'd just love to play golden eye or mortal kombat 4 or even that one perverted beaver game :p