STAR WARS EP III PICS

Mechleader

Is it just me or does something about Vader's helmet look a little off to anyone else?

No, you're right, it is a new helmet. If you watch the darth vader feature on disc 4 of the trilogy DVDs, you will see what changes they made to it.

I like the old one better... Vader's armor in general just looks better in the OT... but in a way that's good.. cause he could have got better armour by then.

I hope at least some of the Clone Troopers in ep # 3 are going to be actual people in armor, rather than CG constructs.

Graham

Why, does it really matter? Does it make the movie horrible if you can tell? I just asked everyone in my office and they all thought the Storm Troppers were real actors.

Vader's outfit from helmet to boot was recreated and at least the helmet was made perfectly symmetrical (frankly, never realized the old one wasn't and maybe that was part of its charm...it looked more natural).

But, I think the big problem with the Vader armor isn't the armor itself, per se, but the person inside it. The old Vader was filled in by David Prowse (or, in some promotional stuff, at least someone of a build Agent One would approve of). This Vader either has Hayden's body inside of it or someone of a similar, smaller build. That why I think he looks wrong. His head looks big, his hands look small, and he generally just looks less impressive....plus we're not used to seeing Vaders so...lively.

This movie is going rock just on the principle of seeing Vader on the big screen again.

I'm too young to have seen the OT in the theaters the first time around, so my first exposure was on VHS tapes waaaaay back when. When the SE first came out, it was nice seeing Vader et al on screen, but it was nothing new.

This is going to be a great thing for me, and if only for that alone, this movie will rock.

now that you've called attention to it.. his hands do looks small. ridiculously small.

muahahaha.

no wonder he has to force choke people... no way he could get those hands around a man's neck.

Lets compare shall we?

Episode 3

episode3_sithclan_vader4.jpg

Episode 5

Vader4.jpg

Yeah... vader's got bigger hands in Episode 5.... one can assume he's spent the last 20 years bulking up.

So that he can indeed get his mits around Rebel's throats, without having to use the force.

choke2.jpg

The old Vader was filled in by David Prowse (or, in some promotional stuff, at least someone of a build Agent One would approve of).

Except for when he was played by Bob Anderson, which was nearly any time Vader swung a lightsaber in ESB and Jedi. ;)

Is it just me or does something about Vader's helmet look a little off to anyone else?

No, you're right, it is a new helmet. If you watch the darth vader feature on disc 4 of the trilogy DVDs, you will see what changes they made to it.

I like the old one better... Vader's armor in general just looks better in the OT... but in a way that's good.. cause he could have got better armour by then.

Vaders helmet looked better in ESB and Jedi, but the original ANH helmet was ass. Take a look at it again if you don't believe me. Remember that ANH was a low budget movie that nobody thought would succeed. For ESB and Jedi they had more money, and got better results in the Vader costume. The new Vader suit approximates the look of Vader's mask from ANH, but with much better workmanship.

The old Vader was filled in by David Prowse (or, in some promotional stuff, at least someone of a build Agent One would approve of).

Except for when he was played by Bob Anderson, which was nearly any time Vader swung a lightsaber in ESB and Jedi. ;)

True. And in some still photos, Vader does have the same 'big head' issue to some degree (most notorious is probably that one profile shot of Vader and Luke crossing sabers low from ROTJ). Still, back then Mr. Anderson still had a more athletic build (although not bulky) than an actor's, so you rarely noticed anything awry in the action. Since Prowse did the slower paced scenes and most of the promo shots, that's often the image people get in their minds.

The problem I have is that this 'skinny Vader' syndrome not only looks 'off' in stills, but looks like it does carry over into the moving pictures, if the trailer scene is to be accepted as how Vader will look in the movie. Maybe instead of keeping his actuators and joints updated, Vader spent the years between the PT and OT buying bigger hands and broader chest components and that not only explains the bulking up, but the lack of motion (since, as someone pointed out, there should be no reason Vader shouldn't be able to move around at least as well as Grievous).

im going to miss david prowse in the costume. he is a great man and i have talked to him a few times since arriving in england. these days he physically is not be able to play vader anymore.

hayden on the other hand may give his best acting since we dont have to look at his face. :p:D.

im going to miss david prowse in the costume. he is a great man and i have talked to him a few times since arriving in england. these days he physically is not be able to play vader anymore.

hayden on the other hand may give his best acting since we dont have to look at his face. :p:D.

Or hear his voice -- thank God for James Earl Jones. B))

Oh, the untold millions Lucas would make replacing Ewoks with Wookies in Jedi, and releasing this "Very Special Edition" to DVD. I can't believe with the technology they have now, they couldn't pull it off, with some editing and omissions of certain scenes (along wth additions of new ones).

For those curious as to what Doug Chiang has been doing since Ep. 2, here ya go:

http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=3718

Pfft....McQuarrie would have drawn a train that looked 10X better and more believable.

:lol:

speaking of that site (www.cgchannel.com) I looked around it a bit and found this....

personal1.jpg

it's by an Artist named Emmanuel Shiu...pretty cool!!!

Is there a bigger shot of that picture?

They have been known to do that. ;)

Then, I suggest to Palpatine a new strategy: Let the Wookies win.

Everytime I see pics of those Wookies from Ep 3 I get that damn Christmas Special popping up in my brain and expect to see Bea Arthur come running out and start singing a song about General Grievious or something. Please, Ep 3, please wash away the pain.

Edited by Sarensaas

Everytime I see pics of those Wookies from Ep 3 I get that damn Christmas Special popping up in my brain and expect to see Bea Arthur come running out and start singing a song about General Grievious or something. Please, Ep 3, please wash away the pain.

Nothing will ever wash that pain away. Your only chance to lead a normal life is to trick or force others into watching the Holiday Special, so that your pain will be shared with as many people as possible. I know, that's how I've managed to cope with it all these years. I can even ride a bike again.

coota0

in the DVD box set for starwars on the special features disc there is a photo gallery with a pic of the executors bridge. underneath the pic there is a caption saying that the bridge had to be reconstructed for filming in episode 3.

Edited by HWR MKII

coota0

in the DVD box set for starwars there is a photo gallery with a pic of the executors bridge. underneath the pic there is a caption saying that the bridge had to be reconstructed for filming in episode 3.

But the Executor bridge set was the same as that used for the other Star Destroyers seen in ESB.

only certain sections. the actual wide pan shots of the bridge were mattpaintings in ESB and a fully realised set in ROTJ. the caption also says it is executor. the main matte paintings were for the foreward section with the windows when vader was in front of them. they may have actually built those this time.

Edited by HWR MKII

coota0

in the DVD box set for starwars on the special features disc there is a photo gallery with a pic of the executors bridge. underneath the pic there is a caption saying that the bridge had to be reconstructed for filming in episode 3.

Thanks I hadn't heard that.

hey man...bea auther is my MOM!!!! ....and shes a fabulous singer :p

OMFG Vader's hands are too small. I've put up with Lucas up until now... but this will not stand. The whole series revolved around the size of the characters' hands and now we're left with nothing. CURSE YOU LUCAS! CURSE YOU!

Sounds like somebody needs a Prozzac salt-lick installed next to his computer...

OMFG Vader's hands are too small. I've put up with Lucas up until now... but this will not stand. The whole series revolved around the size of the characters' hands and now we're left with nothing. CURSE YOU LUCAS! CURSE YOU!

and the shade of black for his costume is off! WTF! My childhood has been raped!