TV Max Custom 1/48

Godzilla

Yup. Don't be too modest! It looks good, but at least from the pictures it looks a little too glossy. Also, personally, I'd prefer a slightly less intense shade of blue. I forget if I read it here or somewhere else, but airplane colors should be made slightly less vivid than "real life", because when you see a 1/48 model from 1 foot away, it's like looking at a full-scale plane from 48 feet away. And at that distance, atmospheric haze will deaden the colors slightly.

Edited by ewilen

Looks beautiful! Make me want to pull my 1/60 outta the closet I started a year ago. I'm not so sure it's needs a dull coat. It looks like the flash from the camera is bouncing back pretty hardcore. I know with my camera I have a hard time representing colors as they truly are.

As for the weathering, I sorta like the clean "toy" look. I've seen to many toys that are weathered and panel lined and they are just too over done. Now, if you can work some magic like jung, Anasazi, or WM_cheng, by all means go ahead.

Edited by scand

I think it looks great. I bet some panel lining would really finish it up. You could go with strong black panel lines to keep with the anime look or some subtle grey panel lining and it would look more realistic. Anyway, nice job. :D

Looks ok - is it hand painted or spray painted?  A dull coat would really help it out...

Both. Blue was hand painted. White was sprayed.

if you're going to hand paint, may I suggest next time thinning the paint more than it is now. Seems like the paint went on kinda thick, and shows the brush strokes. Typically when I am hand painting large areas, I like to have a pallet - a little piece of styrene or something. I'll have a little puddle of thinner on it. I'll dip my paint brush in the jar of paint, and then bring the loaded brush to the pallet, and brush it in with the thinner. You don't need that much thinner, and then you take what's left and brush it on. By thinning the paint slightly, it allows the paint to flow a little better, go on thinner, and helps to eliminate brush strokes in the final paint job...

I put the dull coat on but due note guys, my camera has the flash on. Also, I only spray painted the white and hand painted the blue because there was no can of spray on the blue color. One of these days I will buy a airbrush but I will need to justify it. Well, I can justify it if I am painting 3 Low vis (1S and 2x 1Js) and TV Kakazaki. The Minmay Guard would be a different matter.

Oh, yes I used masking tape. I have learned alot on how to use making tape. FYI, use the blue scotch painting masking tape from your local hardware store. It works much better than the model masking tape I found in HobbyTown USA.

Pretty sweet job there Godzilla... I like that scheme as well... I may have to get me an extra VF-1A to do one myself...

Oh, and I can attest to the value of the Blue Scotch tape... That stuff rules... Masking just plain sucks anyway, but the blue tape does make life a little easier. ;)

Actually not a bad job. Was this a Max 1A/1J mix? Looks accurate.

I would say use a semi-gloss coat to tone it down. You can keep that 'freshly waxed' fighter look and still keep the toy shine there to match the rest of your Valkyries.

It has been sprayed with the semi gloss. I just used the dull coat. I just took a VF-1J Hikaru, replaced the head with VF-1A and just painted it.