Star Wars Battlefront

Druna Skass

What's the best bang for your buck guys?

I can either get the PC or PS2 version? :lol:

I'm with you, I'd like to know as well. Gamespot said that the PC and Xbox versions would obviously be faster with less lag but that the PS2 version was most surprising...whatever that means?

Chris

Also, is the first person mode the same as the one in the PS2 demo? Because that one was an over the shoulder ghost helmet view not a true first person view? Gamespot said that the game is improved upon the version that they played....not sure if that means the demo that we got with the PS2 magazine.

Chris

Uhhh,

I just got my hands on a Errr, "hot" copy of the PC version (full) and I can say this game is amazing. I will, for certain, run to the store to get a legal version as soon as it's here just because it's that good and you really want to play it in multiplayer mode.

Trust me guys, the Hoth battle with the gigantic AT-AT is simply strunning.

Ok, I've been playing the game on and off for about four hours now, and am halfway through the SP portion of the game. I'm not much for shooters, but I've been having fun. Once I get used to the running and gunning, I'll give the online portion a try.

Guys. Do you know if the PC version will have a montly service fee?

If that's the case I'd rather go with the PS2 version.

I also hope my system is good enough.

What do you think?

Recommended

Operating System: Windows XP

Processor: CPU Pentium 4 2.4GHz or Athlon 2200

Video Card: Geforce FX 5700 or Radeon 9600 or higher

CD-ROM: CDRom 52x or DVD Rom 16x

RAM: 512 MB RAM

Minimum

Operating System: Windows 98/2000/ME/XP

Processor: Pentium PIII 800 MHz Processor or AMD Athlon

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForceâ„¢ or ATI Radeonâ„¢ 7000 or higher

CD-ROM: 4X or Faster

RAM: 256 MB RAM

MY SYS:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+

1.53 GHz, 640 MB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 w/ AGP8x

UN Spacy, you're a little shy on the video card front, though your CPU and memory should be just OK for this one. You can buy an ATI Radeon 9800Pro now for well under $200, which would allow you to play this and other DX9 titles fairly well.

With your existing config, I wouldn't bother. Sorry :(

It's using the BF1942 engine, isn't it?  :blink:

And for some reason, that picture with the guys in costume playing it cracks me up.  :lol:

:p I would be the knuckle head in the biker scout outfit playing Battlefronts. I belong to a costume group called the 501st Legion, who has chapters all over the world. We dress up as the villians from the Star Wars films for media and service events.

The Bay Area chapter and my group from the Sacramento dressed up for a Lucas Arts media promotions for video game press. The funny thing is that all of us were hesitant to play the game at first as we did not want to be unprofessional (ie we were there to work and not fool around). However, Lucas Arts staff and reporters thought it would be cool to have those in costumes play out the characters in the video game. Along with event for Lucas Arts, our group also did a little play acting for an Electric Playground piece. Check out the following links.

Lucas Arts Star Wars Battlefront media preview

Electric Playground and Lucasarts video shoot

"Battlefront" segment on Electric Playground

Aren't you a little short for a Storm Trooper?

Just in case anyone was still on the fence about this game, here's my opinion about the PC version: don't buy it, at least not yet.

When I came home with my new copy, first thing I did was play a single player map, and my initial impression was "hey, this is great! it must be incredible when you're playing with people!" The game ran at a very smooth 80 fps or so and I was quite happy. Jumping online tho, to play the exact same map I had just played in single player, was a very disappointing experience. My framerate had become incredibly choppy, and it was very difficult to aim. Looking around online, I found out the framerate for multiplayer games is LOCKED by default at 20 fps!! You can bump it up to 30 fps, but it's still quite choppy. I can't imagine why they'd do such a thing, it's very annoying. Rumors are saying that they'll eventually release a patch to unlock the framerate, and I advise any would-be buyers to wait til then.

If you say you just want this game for the single player, well, while single player is fun, this really is a multiplayer oriented game. You won't get $50 worth of single player fun =P. And with the way the game is now, I won't be getting $50 worth of multiplayer fun either.

Just in case anyone was still on the fence about this game, here's my opinion about the PC version: don't buy it, at least not yet.

When I came home with my new copy, first thing I did was play a single player map, and my initial impression was "hey, this is great! it must be incredible when you're playing with people!" The game ran at a very smooth 80 fps or so and I was quite happy. Jumping online tho, to play the exact same map I had just played in single player, was a very disappointing experience. My framerate had become incredibly choppy, and it was very difficult to aim. Looking around online, I found out the framerate for multiplayer games is LOCKED by default at 20 fps!! You can bump it up to 30 fps, but it's still quite choppy. I can't imagine why they'd do such a thing, it's very annoying. Rumors are saying that they'll eventually release a patch to unlock the framerate, and I advise any would-be buyers to wait til then.

If you say you just want this game for the single player, well, while single player is fun, this really is a multiplayer oriented game. You won't get $50 worth of single player fun =P. And with the way the game is now, I won't be getting $50 worth of multiplayer fun either.

Thanks for the advice. Battlefield 1942 was frustrating, I can't stand lag and choppy graphics.

Generic Rebel fighter is definitely the best of the bunch. I have more success with them than the others.

I like the regular Storm Trooper. I'm more evil empire than righteous rebel anyway.

Is anyone actually going to bother to play as the Republic or Seperatists?

Oh, and is anyone playing this on Xbox Live? I will be, my gamertag's PharaohMan.

I played single player mode. Missions seem to repeat themselves. There are little actual goals but to capture the command posts and with little if any narrative it gets very boring after a while. I would like a little bit more of a story. I don't like the spawning feature it's BS. There I am as Storm Trooper I rush the rebels position kill four of them. I'm then trying to hold the check point and what happens? A rebel spawn right next to me. I'm dead!

PS: Jedi allies block shots to the back with their sabers. I was trying to kill both Darth and Luke.

I played single player mode. Missions seem to repeat themselves. There are little actual goals but to capture the command posts and with little if any narrative it gets very boring after a while. I would like a little bit more of a story. I don't like the spawning feature it's BS. There I am as Storm Trooper I rush the rebels position kill four of them. I'm then trying to hold the check point and what happens? A rebel spawn right next to me. I'm dead!

PS: Jedi allies block shots to the back with their sabers. I was trying to kill both Darth and Luke.

That sounds so lame.

Got it. Played it. Wasn't impressed. Went back to Call of Duty: United Offensive and I'm waiting for Rome: Total War later this week.

I'm not going to rag on the game. I'm sure some people will love it. I never liked BF1942, so I'm not sure why I thought I might like this one. I'm more into FPS games that require squad tactics and precise aiming (Call of Duty, Soldier of Fortune II). But, to each their own.

But, to answer some of the questions:

The PC version does both (true) 1st person and 3rd person views.

I didn't notice a 20fps lock. That would truly be odd.

Yes, you can pilot X-Wings (and snowspeeders on Hoth!).

I'll probably end up giving it a try when I get bored of all the other great games with which we're suddenly being deluged.

H

I was all set to go out and buy this game but got sidetracked with a slight ohhhhhh flight to LA and hullabaloo with a client for the last 48 hours... :blink:

Anyway I got back a while ago and went to the office just to check in and make sure nothing was on fire and some of my team had a copy of the game and were playing it. It did not impress me... it almost felt like a level/skinpack for BF1942. I thought it was going to be so much more... then again I seem to have this habbit of expecting so much out of things that all along come off as so simple. Oh well, after reading about the problems with the DVDs and now the game not grabbing me I guess I can keep this franklin away from king george for another year or so again.

Just in case anyone was still on the fence about this game, here's my opinion about the PC version:  don't buy it, at least not yet.

When I came home with my new copy, first thing I did was play a single player map, and my initial impression was "hey, this is great!  it must be incredible when you're playing with people!"  The game ran at a very smooth 80 fps or so and I was quite happy.  Jumping online tho, to play the exact same map I had just played in single player, was a very disappointing experience.  My framerate had become incredibly choppy, and it was very difficult to aim.  Looking around online, I found out the framerate for multiplayer games is LOCKED by default at 20 fps!!  You can bump it up to 30 fps, but it's still quite choppy.  I can't imagine why they'd do such a thing, it's very annoying.  Rumors are saying that they'll eventually release a patch to unlock the framerate, and I advise any would-be buyers to wait til then.

If you say you just want this game for the single player, well, while single player is fun, this really is a multiplayer oriented game.  You won't get $50 worth of single player fun =P.  And with the way the game is now, I won't be getting $50 worth of multiplayer fun either.

Now he tells me!

Well I bought one for the Xbox and PC. Yes I am that crazy. :lol: Remember, you are talking to a guy who has 41 1/48s with 9 LVs. Yeah, yeah... just shut and listen. :p Oh yeah, I got a free scout figure for the pre-order on this game. Actually I got 4. Those guys at EB are a little clueless. :lol: Oh yeah, I got my pre-order of the DVD that came the day before. :D

I played the Xbox version last night. Stayed up till midnight. Reminds me back in the days I was playing XvT. Anyways, on to the review. It was fun. Of course I keep losing more than winning. Why? I set the sucker on hard, not the default medium. I played a variety of sides. I like the Tantooine mission where you have kill rebels and Tuskan warriors. The damn Sarlacc pit is a nice touch. I also played as the clone warrior and droid army. Now I have yet to explore flying the vehicles.

Graphics: A+ Looks great on the Xbox and I have it on HDTV for the 480 DPI. Enough said.

Music/Score A: Music is great. Running the optical cable to my receiver is great. The only probem is that the music gets little choppy when loading missions and menus.

Sound FX: A+: Man, I love the blaster sounds from your rifle, your droid guns and the AT-ATs. The sounds are authentic to the movie. Droid sounds like in Episode 1 are just as authentic. It is like you are in the movie.

Gameplay: A I am still getting use to the Xbox controls since I am so use to the PC games. I love the way you can jump into a AT-ST, gun positions, Droid tank... But I was able to keep up. I was able to get a lot kills. I was the top killer but why did I lose? Hmmm... Read the next topic and you will see why.

AI: B Ok, the AI isnt bad like some games I use to play but still I will rack up 30 plus kills and still lose. Friendly fire sucks. I get shot up by my guys and I would kill my guys because they run in my way. The commands works like Rogue Squadron where they can follow, hold, Etc. Your guys are intelligent enough to capture the command posts. If you have your guys follow you, you are far more effective as a group shooting the enemy but they they get in the way and you shoot your own guy. What really is cool is that your allies will drop health for you when you need it. Still the AI needs to tweaked to be better.

Replayability: B+ Why a B+? The repetitiveness may get old. The objectives are straight forward. Still I miss a storyline like Rogue Squadron for single player. Capturing and decimating may get old after a while probably after the nastaglia of you running thru the forests of Endor or sloshing thru ice on Hoth or shooting the gunghans on Naboo in Epsiode I. Still there are plenty of missions.

OVERALL: A I love this game. Yes I miss a storyline but still I had tons of fun. My only gripe I have is that you can't run over ppl with vehicles. Well I noticed it didnt kill ppl outright like in MOHAA where the sherman tank will run you over if you accident run across its paths.

I dont have an XBox live but I can imagine how great it is to run around and shoot the crap out of ppl.

I was all set to go out and buy this game but got sidetracked with a slight ohhhhhh flight to LA and hullabaloo with a client for the last 48 hours... :blink:

Anyway I got back a while ago and went to the office just to check in and make sure nothing was on fire and some of my team had a copy of the game and were playing it. It did not impress me... it almost felt like a level/skinpack for BF1942. I thought it was going to be so much more... then again I seem to have this habbit of expecting so much out of things that all along come off as so simple. Oh well, after reading about the problems with the DVDs and now the game not grabbing me I guess I can keep this franklin away from king george for another year or so again.

yeah but BF1942 rocks! i mostly like it because you get to ride in armored vehicles and airplanes that actually existed in the war.

from my experience, game console FP games kind of suck. it takes too much time to look, aim and shoot unlike PC where it just point and shoot. plus console games don't have a quick save option so what they end up doing is splitting up what would be 1 level on PC, into 3 or 4 ala max payne and hitman, thus making the game far too easy.

i only buy console games that anyone can toss in and play, like tekken tag, racing games, things of that nature. that way when friends come over they can easily figure out the controls and we can all have fun....nothing worse than watching someone play a console game that you don't know how to play. :rolleyes:

anything beyond that i just buy the PC version.

yeah but BF1942 rocks!  i mostly like it because you get to ride in armored vehicles and airplanes that actually existed in the war.

Hey man! Go get CoD: United Offensive! It has all the "more realistic" combat of Call of Duty. . . but the expansion adds vehicles.

And they are authentic vehicles. T-34 and Sherman tanks. . . light trucks and jeeps. Tiger heavy tanks. It's a blast. Cruising around in a jeep with two other passengers (one manning the MG and the other mounting his own light deployable MG from the passenger seat) is a helluva good time.

And, then of course, you and I could shoot each other. . . figuratively. :p

H

yeah but BF1942 rocks!  i mostly like it because you get to ride in armored vehicles and airplanes that actually existed in the war.

Hey man! Go get CoD: United Offensive! It has all the "more realistic" combat of Call of Duty. . . but the expansion adds vehicles.

And they are authentic vehicles. T-34 and Sherman tanks. . . light trucks and jeeps. Tiger heavy tanks. It's a blast. Cruising around in a jeep with two other passengers (one manning the MG and the other mounting his own light deployable MG from the passenger seat) is a helluva good time.

And, then of course, you and I could shoot each other. . . figuratively. :p

H

i get to shoot you? i'm getting the game today. :D j/j

COD?, haven't heard of it yet, since i let most of my gamer friends buy them, then i come over to borrow/copy them. i'll ses if my boys picked it up and maybe we'll finally get to meet on the battlefield mono-a-mono. :ph34r::lol:

yeah but BF1942 rocks! i mostly like it because you get to ride in armored vehicles and airplanes that actually existed in the war.

A game has to do a lot more than that to get my interest nowadays... having been playing games since the days of pac man and moon patroll all the way up to today I find myself so disenchanted with most games. It takes a real genre twister or an advance in the feel, look or play mechanics of a game to make me sit up and take notice. BF1942 to me was just Quake 2 with trucks. One big "meh". Now SW:BG seems like BF1942 with AtSt's. Once again, "meh". Yet again I have the typical whiny fanboy reaction of "they could have done so much more with the game than they did" but it is what it is, a simple shooter with trucks featuring SW things.

A game has to do a lot more than that to get my interest nowadays... having been playing games since the days of pac man and moon patroll all the way up to today I find myself so disenchanted with most games. It takes a real genre twister or an advance in the feel, look or play mechanics of a game to make me sit up and take notice. BF1942 to me was just Quake 2 with trucks. One big "meh". Now SW:BG seems like BF1942 with AtSt's. Once again, "meh". Yet again I have the typical whiny fanboy reaction of "they could have done so much more with the game than they did" but it is what it is, a simple shooter with trucks featuring SW things.

i see your POV but your describing every single game out there, they're all the same, especially any/all the FP shootem ups. if it ain't a shotem up, its some sort of building game like kohan. so if thats the case, you'll never be happy. :p

slightly off topic,

but if you're a old school video game fan, you might want to get some ROM's and hook up your PC. i'm sure you already have but my friend just constructed his own little video game machine(mostly for street fighter B)) ) he went to some video game repair place and bought a set of joysticks and some buttons and hooked up a 2 player coffee table. it sounds silly but its kind of sick if you like the old school games. :)

Recent games that have wowed me are GTA, Doom 3, Max Payne and a few others... they all brought something "fresh" to the table I felt. Doom was all atmosphere, GTA was freedom you rarely see or experience in a game and Payne was your typical game with your typical plot but for some reason it was a blast to play.

Most of the games that hit the shelves are me too titles, offering nothing more than a themepack revision on an exsisting gameplay to squeeze another fifty bucks out of the fanbase... now take a game like Knights of the Old Republic. THAT was an innovative SW game... and yet it was just an RPG rehash. But it did it so well and it mixed themes and elements to make an engrossing game that was not just another Final Fantasy or DnD with a skinpack.