The NEW Star Wars on DVD thread

Anyone know if the extras will contain all (if not most of) the scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor?  It would be nice to see Luke "Wormy" Skywalker with his pals at Anchorhead and what they were like.  Or see the Snowtroopers get mauled by the captured wampa!

no it doesnt have the deleted scenes re-added :( i myself would have wanted to see the supposed scene where luke is on dagobah training and slices up trees, etc.

You're kidding, right? :( What's the matter, George too stingy about us seeing those lost treasures?

Actually, most of that stuff was missing and presumed lost until just this summer. Word is that they found tons (and I mean TONS) of this stuff, but it won't be in this set. All of this footage is (supposedly) going to be cleaned up and will likely appear in a future DVD release. Could it be the mythical 2007 uberboxset?

Probably.

Anyone know if the extras will contain all (if not most of) the scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor?  It would be nice to see Luke "Wormy" Skywalker with his pals at Anchorhead and what they were like.  Or see the Snowtroopers get mauled by the captured wampa!

no it doesnt have the deleted scenes re-added :( i myself would have wanted to see the supposed scene where luke is on dagobah training and slices up trees, etc.

You're kidding, right? :( What's the matter, George too stingy about us seeing those lost treasures?

Actually, most of that stuff was missing and presumed lost until just this summer. Word is that they found tons (and I mean TONS) of this stuff, but it won't be in this set. All of this footage is (supposedly) going to be cleaned up and will likely appear in a future DVD release. Could it be the mythical 2007 uberboxset?

Cash in the bank for Lucas and co. Cha--chiing!!! :lol:

Cash in the bank for Lucas and co. Cha--chiing!!! :lol:

Perhaps, but in this case I'll glady "donate" my cash to the cause. This is stuff I've wanted to see for nearly 25 years. Scenes like the Wampa attack on Echo base, or the initial rebel assault on the shield bunker on Endor, or Vader choking Moff Jerjerrod.

Just watched the Vader/Emperor scene. Hey. . . isn't Vader already pursuing "Skywalker" according to the opening "crawl" of ESB?

I always assumed that Vader had somehow "felt" (or heard through spies) that "Skywalker" was the name of the pilot who destroyed the death star. And, I always wondered if Vader was pursuing Luke in order to turn him to the dark side without the Emperor's knowledge (so that they together could supplant the emperor). A lot of the (excellent) RotJ novelization has these elements in it.

They seem to go out of their way in this re-done scene to explain how Vader comes to know about Luke. Yet, I don't ever remember anyone wondering about it. Seems like yet another case of Lucas fixing something that isn't broken. . . removing subtlety from the narrative, and perhaps contradicting other previously established plot points.

I'd have to hook back up my VCR to check the opening crawl of ESB. But. . . well. . . it's really no bid deal either way. I sorta like the new scene. And Vader could still just be playing poker face with the Emperor. But it seems like yet another case where things could have just been left alone (replace the chimp, but use the old dialogue).

It's cool to see the consitency with the actors. . . but I'll miss the line:

"The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."

:)

H

Edit: On further reflection. . . it actually does seem likely that Vader already knew he was Skywalker and is trying to protect his son from the Emperor. Hence his suggestion that he be turned rather than killed. So, I guess no harm done at all. Ignore me. :p

Edited by Hurin

It's cool to see the consitency with the actors. . . but I'll miss the line:

"The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."

Uhh...you'd better watch that scene again. I'm pretty sure that line is still there. The only omission is the line "Luke Skywalker" which gets replaced with that whole "Young rebel who destroyed the Death Star" business. To me, the expanded dialog seems like an opportunity to have the Emperor say the line "Search your feelings, you know it to be true," which of course is repeated by Vader himself later on.

Edit: On further reflection. . . it actually does seem likely that Vader already knew he was Skywalker and is trying to protect his son from the Emperor. Hence his suggestion that he be turned rather than killed. So, I guess no harm done at all. Ignore me. :p

For an excellent third-party observation of this scene, take a look at the prologue/first chapter of Shadows of the Empire, one of the novels. Heck, just read the whole book. A very entertaining read, and the only EU novel set during the actual trilogy.

It's also the only EU novel with Vader, still alive and wheezing :)

For an excellent third-party observation of this scene, take a look at the prologue/first chapter of Shadows of the Empire, one of the novels. Heck, just read the whole book. A very entertaining read, and the only EU novel set during the actual trilogy.

There is also Splinter of the Mind's Eye

Uhh...you'd better watch that scene again. I'm pretty sure that line is still there.

Darn it! My mistake. I should watch something twice before opening my pie-hole. :)

Thanks!

H

Given that Boba Fett is an unaltered clone of Jango, that is actually a proper edit to have the voice replaced with the right guy, even if it does sound a little funny after all this time with the old ESB voice.

So...since they changed boba's voice and boba is a clone of jango and the stormtroopers are all jango clones, does that mean they've redubbed all the stormtrooper voices too? I know that in general they probably don't have a lot of lines in the OT, but I was just wondering...

No, by the OT all the 'Troopers are cloned from some other source. I doubt this will be adressed in ROTS, but I'm sure that the EU will go into the details

Has GL stated that, or are the fans and fanboys supposed to assume that considering how dumb and wimpy (losing to ewoks, hello???!!)the 'troopers are by epIV. Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, I'm just curious.

No, by the OT all the 'Troopers are cloned from some other source. I doubt this will be adressed in ROTS, but I'm sure that the EU will go into the details

Has GL stated that, or are the fans and fanboys supposed to assume that considering how dumb and wimpy (losing to ewoks, hello???!!)the 'troopers are by epIV. Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, I'm just curious.

the episode II/III batch of clones would be pretty old by the OT....

The comments about the OT clones was made sometime last summer during primary shooting for Ep III. It was apparently in one of the set diaries available thru Hyperspace. THis wasn't any sort of "official" press release, but I'd imagine that it will be the path that EU will eventually follow.

In regard to clones of clones, there was some deleted dialog in Attack of the Clones that specified that they couldn't do such a thing, or else the quality of the clones would plummet. Hence, that's why they had to keep Jango there to supply fresh DNA. But of course, this doesn't actually appear in the film, so you really ahve to make up your own mind if this is an applicable explanation.

Did they fix R2-D2's download of the Death Star? I mean thos "Logo" graphics were cool back when I was using an Apple II back in elementary school, but a little dated for today's standards.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I'm sure some folks are going to have a problem with THIS, but here's another clip. While the changes sound weird at first, I think its ultimately for the best.

Edit: it'd help if I included the link, wouldn't it?

The link doesn't seem to be working.

Besides, by the time of episode IV, with no Jedi left to fight, it would probably be cheaper to use subjigated citizens as soldiers.

That's one thing that's disappointed me about the Stormtroopers=clones information. Logically, if you were a dictator of an expansive empire, you'd almost certainly WANT to draw upon your population for the army, whether be it from direct draft or making it seem like the 'cool' thing to do.

First of all, you eat up a good chunk of the energetic, able bodies young men (and maybe women) who are bound to be a troublemaking part of the population. Secondly, you then get to all but brainwash them through drills and emphasizing the 'nobility'of their cause and loyalty to their nation. Thirdly, you can glorify the military to the point where those who don't serve are considered less worthy and even unfit to hold office or even be listened to, which weakens the effect of dissidents who don't go 'through the system'. Fourthly, you're providing jobs and pay to the lower classes of the population. Fifthly, you're making anyone who rebels forced to fight their own sons, nephews, and husbands, which can easily eat at their heart.

I could go on, but my point is that by making your army an outside entity with no attachment to the populace, you strip all that away. You provide no extra jobs, you let the young and reckless run rampant, you alienate the people from their troops, giving them no incentive to root for them or reason to not kill your men. All you have is fear and while time has proven again and again from the earliest days to the present that fear can control and manipulate the masses, it's not deep rooted and can easily be overturned if the people are ever given something to doubt the validity of what they fear.

So it's not entirely logical that the Emperor would employ clones in the OT. Then again, it's also not logical that someone would hire a thug that can't accurately shoot someone who's sitting across the table, so I suppose it fits in the Star Wars universe...

"Shooting at the same time" I can deal with. Way better than Greedo shoots first at least. An acceptable comprimise.

I'd forgive the Greedo scene if they just added the Star Wars Christmas Special as a bonus. :D I've been trying to get ahold of a bootleg of that one on dvd.

more news on the dvd sets:

http://cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_i...52&obj_id=42455

The only question is now, is it good news or bad news? Can't they just put it back the way it was???

Which reminds me. I recently got a hold of some HK's of the original versions on DVD. Video quality is a bit grainy, but nothing too terible. Looks like they were made from the laser disc definative collection.

http://www.dvdbulksale.com/dvd/DVDSF05041003.shtml

Took about a week to ship, and they come with covers & no cases. I've already picked up some double disc amaray's to pack them together with the box set when it comes out.

I'd forgive the Greedo scene if they just added the Star Wars Christmas Special as a bonus. :D I've been trying to get ahold of a bootleg of that one on dvd.

You'd definitely forget all about the Greedo scene because then you'd be overwhelmed with bile at having not only seen but actually paid to see that godawful nightmare.

Now, if they just took the Boba Fett cartoon from the Holiday Special and added it as bonus footage, that'd be pretty cool. It's the only decent few minutes in the whole thing, and it's still crappy by today's standards. The rest of it... you just want to forget you ever saw it.

New scenes look fine to me. No worse than the last round of "fix-ups". Ultimately I'd just like to have whatever version Lucas settles on and the original side by side on my DVD shelf. Maybe in 2007. ;)

The only question is now, is it good news or bad news?  Can't they just put it back the way it was???

Which reminds me. I recently got a hold of some HK's of the original versions on DVD. Video quality is a bit grainy, but nothing too terible. Looks like they were made from the laser disc definative collection.

Took about a week to ship, and they come with covers & no cases. I've already picked up some double disc amaray's to pack them together with the box set when it comes out.

I have an HK boot of the original ESB. Its not bad. It was taken from the LD. The only bad thing is every 2 chapters there's a slight pause(kinda like a layer change).

It has some extra behind the scenes piece. I bought it off of ebay like 3-4 years ago.

I did see some new bootlegs of the originals at Wizard World Chicago. 50.00 a set with cases artwork.

I'm looking forward to the new set though. Not exactly thrilled about some of the changes but the restored video looks awesome.

you guys realize that if enough people DIDN'T buy this, they'd be much more likely to release the OT in it's original form. oh well. i'm not buying.

it's good to see that they are kind of trying to listen to the fans a little this time around. changing some of the really crappy stuff.

i've never heard of all that extra footage they found, luke killing trees and stuff like that. i'd be intrested to see some of that stuff.

The only question is now, is it good news or bad news?  Can't they just put it back the way it was???

Thanks for the link, just ordered one myself, so now I can have both versions.