not like last time [shudder]

kanata67

before this ends up in another 4 page debate on why something sucks and why it doesn't and who is an idiot because of whatever I ask that people respond to my two questions...

1. Which valks [and mecha] are macrossII specific? By this I mean which valkyries and mecha appeared either only in, or for the first time in, macrossII?

2. Is the giant floaty head a reference to the giant floating SDF-1 head in macrossII or is it a reference to some other giant floaty head I am unaware of?

all mecha and valks in macross 2 are macross 2 specific. the destroids as shown do not appear in any other macross series.

floating head is in reference to pics of shoji's head cropped and dropped into photos or on page layouts, making comments...

[sorry! You beat me to the post!]

VALKYRIES:

The Metal Siren Valkyrie, VF-2, and CV (Civilian Valkyrie) totally have their bases in Macross II, and as far as I know, have never appeared in any other shows.

MECHA:

All of the Zentraedi mecha shown in Macross II is pretty much specific to the show, as the Zentraedi therein possess mecha specially made for them by the Marduk. As is such, all of the Marduk mecha are exclusive to the show. The language translator used by Ishtar is specific to Macross II, and I believe that a lot of stuff in Hibiki Kanzaki's room (like the television and toaster) are also mecha that don't appear in any other Macross story.

FROATING HEAD:

The head is a reference to Shoji Kawamori, and thus, has absolutely nothing to do with Macross II. Pity. :p

Edited by Kamjin 639

The Focker locked it. :(

'The Focker'... Is that like 'The Donald'?

...Sorry for that utterly useless & out of place comment. Couldn't resist.

At any rate, the fact that the UN uses a fighter called the VF-2 in 2080 shows how off the official timeline MC2 is...

I agree with Keith. While the plot has more problems than my ex-girlfriend, there are a lot of things about MII to appreciate.

The music was most excellent, I guess it must've impressed someone because almost without exception it all made it into Macross 7

The character designs for the most part are pretty well done, Hibiki's producer (the fool with the shades) never looked very well drawn, but most everyone else looked pretty good at points. Feff would've been badass as a Zentraedi commander in the real timeline (lol, I mean c'mon... the guy flatlined his own science officer when he wouldn't shut the hell up)

I'm in a love-hate classification when it comes to the Macross II Mecha. Some designs are really well thought out while others just didn't make the grade to me.

-The VF-2SS Space Valkyrie has all of the makings of a really sweet valkyrie... but we get to see very little of the base-model VF-2S... in fact, except for the opening and the commercial breaks, I can't recall a time in the animation where you see a VF-2S without it's SAP augmentation armor. I'll call that "wasted potential", because I think the base-model in itself is a pretty hoss design and was worthy of more screentime/action.

-The VF-2J Icarus is likewise really well drawn. I have a personal distaste for the really long forward-swept ventral fins, but they're well animated... again, more screentime would've been nice.

-The VF-MS Metal Siren got the worst luck of all the variable fighters in the series. Poorly drawn from the get-go, the only real moment where the craft doesn't look poorly drawn is the sequence where Nexx removes one of the BC-50s (the MS derivative of the standard BC-60 beam cannon in Macross II) from the wing of his own MS and begins firing.. and THAT sequence is poorly lit! From what I've seen, the jury (among MII fans) is still out on whether or not this really IS a cool design... I won't make a huge statement on it, but I think they could've done better WITHOUT the energy-spear (seems rather un-macrossish)

These valkyries, without exception are exclusive to the OAV series... they've yet to come up anywhere else and they probably never will (which is either a good or bad thing, depending on who you talk to), some minor design elements of the VF-2S can be seen in the VF-0 "Phoenix" from "Macross Zero", but no one really thinks they were inspired from there.

We never see enough of the Ground-Based mecha enough to really appreciate or criticize them... again, they're all exclusive to MII, although design elements of the Tomahawk Mk. II have shown up in "Macross Zero" on the Cheyenne destroid.

While I understand that all of the zentran mecha are supposed to be offshoots/evolutions of older designs, they don't really appeal to me. Zentran/Marduk mecha and spaceships look (strictly to me) as though they were designed over the course of one weekend. Other's opinions my differ, though.

The Macross suffered from one main problem... it NEVER LOOKED THE SAME. Seriously... compare any two screenshots of the macross (the frontal view often seen, the cannon firing, culture park shots, in the air). Despite the fact that all the pictures of the Macross were pretty well drawn (in fact, most of my favorite SDF-01 Artwork is from MII), it was never consistent. People largely dislike the additions to the main cannon seen in the last fight (the focusing units on the legs and the underside of the ARMD platforms) and I'm inclined to agree. At the beginning, when the Macross fires (just prior to "Operation 200"), we get a textbook look at what the Macross should look and sound like when the cannon goes off.... it kinda goes out the window at the end, but then... so does the Macross :(

Edited by Skull Leader

I've seen a lot of Macross II topics started...this makes me happy. :D Macross II DOES 0wn.... This thread will probably be closed cause I threw in some "nonsense"...but ah well. I just need to state my two cents.

Personally, I really like the mech designs in Macross II. I liked it a lot more earlier, before I saw M7 (still not done yet). The Metal Siren in concept is great. I really wish it was drawn better and the same for the VF-2SS.

I would love to see scans of the Mechs from TIAS : Macross II and really see how it SHOULD have looked.

I loved the Music. Kicks Ass.

I like the Character designs, cept for Hibiki who was annoying as fawk in the beginning. I actually liked Basara more than Hibiki! (Hides from Agent One - heh) but near the end, Hibiki began to grow up.

Silvie Gena, Nexx and Ishtar were all great characters. Feff rocks as an opponent. The story line of the Marduk controlling the Zentradies... awesome... I want to see the Marduk go up against Bolzer's fleet and the Varutians from M7. Would make a great war story. I would feel sorry for the UN Spacy Fleet caught in the middle of that 3 way rumble.

The Macross there rocked too.

The things I didn't like were the inconsistencies in the drawings from scene to scene. To me, M2's mechs looked like Jack Kirby drew them, which stood out against the more anime'ish backgrounds and characters.

When compared to M+, the budget obviously shows and is typical to any OVA during that time. Quality wise, it was not as good as DYRL, M+ , or M:0. Its about on par or less than M7s OVA quality (not the Movies).

If Kawamorie had blessed M2 and did a remake of it the story under his own direction, I can see it rocking pass even DYRL but not M+.

For now, I would love it if The_Major and his team working on the Homeworld 2 Macross mod to incorporate some of the mechs into that game.