Harmony Gold & Toynami releasing DYRL? Toys

Duke Togo

**sigh**

Here we go again. You know what, let save you guys the trouble and just compress what will likely happen for the next 5 pages into one nice post.

Next wrylac will bring out that one report he like to cite so much and say Yamato should make a deal with hg, and everyone else says how stupid that will be for Big West to allow that because it would be saying the hg really does own more than what Big West says. Then wrylac will say something to the extent that the fact toynami is makeing DYRL toys shows that hg has the rights to that, and everyone else will say they're just pushing the line to see ho far they can go. All the while with nothing new comming out of Japan (meaning repeats of past arguments), toynami still ripping people off and me having to pay for the damn shipping chrages and having to sit here a wait when ever I want a VF that isn't crap.

LOL! Bonus points to Druna Skass. :lol:

You know... without an official announcement from all parties invovled.... putting DYRL SPs for preorder means nothing. After all.... I think everyone here remembers the Macross Plus toys and the Sunward valks. :rolleyes:

And I'm not talking about HG saying "We own the world", because everyone here gives HG as much credibility as I give the Brazilian government. <_<

I don't see what the travesty is.

The Japanese companies couldn't market their products in the U.S. before. Still Can't.

Harmoney Gold can't market its products (Macross Saga) in Japan before. Still Can't.

Ay-ay-ay...

That's what everyone always assumes, but it's just NOT true.

Look hard enough and YES, there ARE Toynami valks on the shelves of stores in Tokyo. And it pisses me off.

I want to know how the hell they're getting away with this.

LOL - funny how some people reacted to this.  You would think their lives depended on what one toy company does.  It is interesting to say the least.  I don't see how Toynami can make them without some sort of agreement.  Toynami did get permission to use the superposeable design in the first place so it's not like they always steal designs.

Could you point out your source on this?

At first I had heard that Toynami had compensated the creator of the Wonderfest kit for using the design as their SuperPoseables. But then someone told me that he wasn't compensated, and wasn't asked, although they did officially credit him in some way.

I'm just curious what the actual story is behind this.

I know for a fact that Toynami didn't have Banpresto's permission when using the Banpresto SD Keychain designs, nor did they have Bandai's permission in using their designs for the MPC (as much as people say it isn't a copy, it is. just deal with it.)

So I'm curious what the actual story is between the Wonderfest kits and the SuperPoseables*?

I don't have any sources, just a good memory. I don't remember any talk of Toynami actually paying for the designs - just getting permission to use the overall design. It would make sense that if they got permission there would be money involved but it would not be in Toynami's character to pay for designs.

As far as the MPC, it is not just a straight copy of one thing. They took design elements of all VF-1 toys (Bandai, TT, Yamato) and funked it up a bit to make it different.

Look hard enough and YES, there ARE Toynami valks on the shelves of stores in Tokyo.  And it pisses me off. 

Now that is interesting. I wonder how that works. :huh:

do they have the HG ("Blows") logo on it... or the BW logo?

The Japanese companies couldn't market their products in the U.S. before.  Still Can't.

Harmoney Gold can't market its products (Macross Saga) in Japan before.  Still Can't.

Ay-ay-ay...

Look hard enough and YES, there ARE Toynami valks on the shelves of stores in Tokyo. And it pisses me off.

imports? same can be said about yamato toys here.

The Japanese companies couldn't market their products in the U.S. before.  Still Can't.

Harmoney Gold can't market its products (Macross Saga) in Japan before.  Still Can't.

Ay-ay-ay...

ya but we're talkin about "store shelves". You can't find Yammys on Toys R Us stores in the US, all because of the HG "Blows" license thingy

you ever check out the other items on HGs Website Catalog

HG Catalog

other than the anime... its basically all crap!  I see a few things I remember, most of this stuff looks like the "straight to video" crap you find at Blockbuster.  I'd love to see HG, a hack of a company, be bought out by a company like Bandai ;)

do you hear a "blowing sound" oh wait... its HG

I was looking around that site and i found this

"One of Harmony Gold's flagship titles is Robotech, the Japanese anime franchise that includes a groundbreaking TV series originated in 1985; two feature films, novels, comic books and toy"

What exactly are the 'two feature films'? I hope they dont cound DYRL? as one of them

Hybridchild

That's just their domestic cataloge, they're more of an international distributor.

HG Catalog

other than the anime... its basically all crap!  I see a few things I remember, most of this stuff looks like the "straight to video" crap you find at Blockbuster.  I'd love to see HG, a hack of a company, be bought out by a company like Bandai ;)

"One of Harmony Gold's flagship titles is Robotech, the Japanese anime franchise that includes a groundbreaking TV series originated in 1985; two feature films, novels, comic books and toy"

What exactly are the 'two feature films'? I hope they dont cound DYRL? as one of them

Hybridchild

That's just their domestic cataloge, they're more of an international distributor.

Doesn't answer the question at all.

HG Catalog

Hybridchild

Sorry, I was actually only commenting on what Southcross said. But, I think the answers to your question are The Sentinels and Robotech: The Movie.

Ay-ay-ay...

ya but we're talkin about "store shelves". You can't find Yammys on Toys R Us stores in the US, all because of the HG "Blows" license thingy

Can you find Toynami MPCs on TRU shelves in Japan? I doubt so.

Assume HG never interfered, and Toycom is able to distribute Yamatos freely in the US. I doubt we'll see them on US TRU shelves still. To date I have yet to see any toys distributed by Toycom on TRU shelves. I've only seen their products at comic stores.

Ay-ay-ay...

Can you find Toynami MPCs on TRU shelves in Japan? I doubt so.

Assume HG never interfered, and Toycom is able to distribute Yamatos freely in the US. I doubt we'll see them on US TRU shelves still. To date I have yet to see any toys distributed by Toycom on TRU shelves. I've only seen their products at comic stores.

I've seen them in game stores too.

Haven't actually CHECKED toy stores...

In case anyone is still wondering:

Tom Bateman 

Subject: teckmanfs...

Posted On: February 11, 2004 - 7:52:45 PM

Yes, there are plans for Series 2.

Why stop with Series 1?

Tom Bateman

ROBOTECH.COM

Spotted here.

He also corrects another RT.com member who thinks that Max didn't have a 1S in DYRL. To me, that's a very gentle hint that a Max 1S is planned for the SP line.

LOL - funny how some people reacted to this.  You would think their lives depended on what one toy company does.  It is interesting to say the least.  I don't see how Toynami can make them without some sort of agreement.  Toynami did get permission to use the superposeable design in the first place so it's not like they always steal designs.

Could you point out your source on this?

At first I had heard that Toynami had compensated the creator of the Wonderfest kit for using the design as their SuperPoseables. But then someone told me that he wasn't compensated, and wasn't asked, although they did officially credit him in some way.

I'm just curious what the actual story is behind this.

I know for a fact that Toynami didn't have Banpresto's permission when using the Banpresto SD Keychain designs, nor did they have Bandai's permission in using their designs for the MPC (as much as people say it isn't a copy, it is. just deal with it.)

So I'm curious what the actual story is between the Wonderfest kits and the SuperPoseables*?

I don't have any sources, just a good memory. I don't remember any talk of Toynami actually paying for the designs - just getting permission to use the overall design. It would make sense that if they got permission there would be money involved but it would not be in Toynami's character to pay for designs.

I can back up Jawjaw on that, I definitely remember reading an official statement that Toynami did get permission to use the Wonder Fest kits as Super Posables.

If the DYRL Super Posables actually get released, could they be paving the way for DYRL MPCs in the near future?

Toynami MPC VF-1S Hikaru Strike Valk anybody?..............something to think about.

Graham

Yeah, I was wondering about that.

Be really bizarre if they decided to do something like import Yamato under the Toynami name.

If the DYRL Super Posables actually get released, could they be paving the way for DYRL MPCs in the near future?

Toynami MPC VF-1S Hikaru Strike Valk anybody?..............something to think about.

Graham

I see it putting pressure on BW to finally let Yamato deal with HG to release their DYRL? merchandise internationally.

Edit: shoulda' read the next post.

Edited by wrylac

Graham

the real question is what are they going to call it? Macross DYRL? or Macross : Clash of the Bionoids? That would suck!! :p:D:lol:

Graham

the real question is what are they going to call it? Macross DYRL? or Macross : Clash of the Bionoids? That would suck!! :p:D:lol:

It's already been established that HG is using the 'Do You Remember Love' name.

Here.

Graham

I see it putting pressure on BW to finally let Yamato deal with HG to release their DYRL? merchandise internationally.

Sure, because by doing this, HG simply has PROVEN to Bigwest that they must have the rights to all of Macross outside of Japan. And therefore, BigWest must cower and allow Yamato to work with HG, because we all know that Yamato SO DEARLY wishes it could. I'm sure you know this because you've heard so many stories about Yamato's exec's crying in their hot sake because evil BigWest won't let them play with the superior American companies.

It's my opinion, but I highly doubt these are the companies that BigWest or Yamato would would choose to deal with.

Dude, neither Toynami, nor HG can even get the "UN Spacy" on the gunpod going the right way.

:D

Also notice, as was pointed out earlier by Graham and others, that the FASTpacks are not DYRL design, except for the Strike guns. So, in reality, these aren't even DYRL VF-1's. But they are, once again, crappy Toynami/HG knockoffs.

Put that in your pipe and sell it for a tuppence*!

*this phrase doesn't make any sense.

Way ahead of you, G. When the proto pics of the MPC armor first showed up, I mentioned that their booster tips were meant to come off for a reason. Toynami's probably had the Strike Cannon done for a long time now. I guess that they were just too scared to release it before, or they decided it would be better to milk the armor some more with a v2.0 release.

Edit: Pic taken from http://www.valkyrie-exchange.com Kevin, if you've got any problems, just PM me and I'll remove it.

post-26-1076650262.jpg

Edited by TheLoneWolf

Sure, because by doing this, HG simply has PROVEN to Bigwest that they must have the rights to all of Macross outside of Japan. And therefore, BigWest must cower and allow Yamato to work with HG, because we all know that Yamato SO DEARLY wishes it could. I'm sure you know this because you've heard so many stories about Yamato's exec's crying in their hot sake because evil BigWest won't let them play with the superior American companies.

According to VEX, Toycom did put forward a proposal which would have had them paying both BW and HG to allow the Mac Plus toys to be released in the U.S.

See http://www.valkyrie-exchange.com/newsarchive.html News entry for October 30, 2000.

Whether Yamato had an opinion of this action by their partner is not recorded.

The M7 Trash situation was probably similar.

On the other hand, I don't think BW was remotely mistaken to scotch either deal--assuming they did.

It's one thing to prevent Macross derivatives from coming into the U.S. But I doubt HG are dumb enough to think they can "pressure" BW by stealing BW's intellectual property.

Well they did make Posables figures based on the Macross TV series including Max and Kikazaki`s blue and brown VF-1A !

That still means nothing.

It is widely accepted (although not by as many people as the "distribution of the TV series") that HG does have the right, through Tatsunoko, to develop merchandise based on the TV series.

Once again, does that mean that HG, or any company they use for toy manufacture, can simply use existing designs from other companies?

No.

But it didn't stop them with the MPC, the SD Keychains or, possibly, the Superposeables (I've heard so many stories about the use of the design for these I don't know what to believe anymore*). I haven't seen the MPC "Alphas" but I wouldn't be surprised if those are knockoffs of the Gakkens as well.

Edited by the white drew carey

OK, I admit, I have pretty much speed read the last 18 pages of this :blink: .

That being said, I apologize if someone has made this comment already....

All I have to say is this...

Like AgentONE, I could care less who owns what.

However, I would rather see DYRL and all of it's associated merchandise NEVER hit US shores, than to watch DYRL and hear good ole Lick Hunter (big fat Tony Oliver) 's voice come out of that sacred piece of film. Furthermore, I would rather NEVER see a Yamato valk hit US shores, than to see one at TRU sporting the Robotech logo.

:D I'm not giving my opinion unitl someone puts up a new Holy Floating Head photoshop. A good one.

Or some new Toycom/HG vs. Yamato propoganda.

Maybe a photochopped Hikaru 1S MPC styled kind of like the old national security poster of the F-16 with Soviet emblem on the tail. The froating head saying "WTF is this?" would be bonus.

HG Catalog

Hybridchild

Sorry, I was actually only commenting on what Southcross said. But, I think the answers to your question are The Sentinels and Robotech: The Movie.

oh... I understand that... still... its all CRAP!

Y'know... all of this has me remembering...

Does anybody here remember on the old boards when Jerry from VF1X (correct me if I've got the customizer wrong, but I thought it was him) customized all of those series 1 superposeables as DYRL variants?

He made kick ass renditions using model kit armors of the Super valk, Strike valk, Ostrich, and Elint... I tried to find pics, but vf1x.com is down now.

I just remember us laughing that HG would never ever be able to do any DYRL valks.

Apparently HG saw them too. ;)

Graham

If that equals to cheap Yamato toys with Macross on the box.... then it equals to happy fans.

Now... if that means Yamato toys with Robotech on the box.... then it equals to fans carrying pitch forks and torches. :lol:

The question for most fans is not if HG has the rights or not.... its wether HG is willing to bring that stuff over without changing it into RT or messing around art work and such. And as long as BW and SK are getting some of the dough.... no one here will complain about anything.

Edited by Abombz!!