TomyTec GIMIX Macross Delta 1/144

seti88

yea that would be perfect to customise burner colours. I only got 1 set of the op11 tho cos it's not exactly cheap ... Hopefully there would be cheap and easy diy led lighting solutions popping up to help save some cost..always wanted to light up models but it seems quite complicated...

Edited by seti88

2 LEDS and a connection point is all you need really.

Source the LEDS from the N and Z scale rail geeks - They sell 1mm SMD ones like the one on the OP11 that are prewired and cost a few bucks for a bundle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-x-Pre-Wired-warm-white-0805-SMD-led-street-Lights-Pre-soldered-lamps-HO-N/151930417334?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D34a379cf3d944718b659d2e6ba77dfbd%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D151930687374

Edited by NZEOD

Cool thanks for the link on the Led. I normally stuck at how do you hook it up to a switch and battery, without soldering as i haven't used a solder before.

I also don't have knowledge on capacitors or resistors to get.

Tho the led page you posted did have a nice link to a easy to use DIY board...http://stores.ebay.com/WEHONEST/InstructionOfPowerDistributionBoard.html maybe i will try to digest that...

I'll try it myself first to see how awkward it is or isnt. Wanting to put lights into the gerwalk engines so have a bit of drilling and hollowing to do. Want a Gerwalk with engines lit on the Ocean diorama bases I've been making.

Edited by NZEOD

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhhh finally!!! Wondered when that was arriving! That should torpedo the stupid $150 Fighter only ones I've been seeing on Yahoo JP

Bugger... that's not the VF-31A 3 mode set...

Edited by NZEOD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Graham said:

Has anybody heard any news whether there will be any Super Pack versions of the VF-31 from TomyTec?

37 minutes ago, NZEOD said:

well...as they haven't done a VF-1 Superpack set yet I don't expect one this year.

25 minutes ago, seti88 said:

They havent announced the gerwalk sets for mirages and the 31A either, despite them fighter modes coming out before arad's complete gerwalk set.

https://twitter.com/tomytec_gimix this is my source of updates for Tomytec.

Does the VF-1 battroid backpack have any indentations or otherwise indicate mounting points for Super parts? For that matter, what about the arms and legs? I can't imagine they would create entirely new molds just to accommodate them. (Then again, it would be easy enough to simply glue them onto the existing kits.)

10 hours ago, Andy NYK said:

https://twitter.com/tomytec_gimix this is my source of updates for Tomytec.

yeah that's the oone I use too.

Posted a note on the mismatched coloured LEDs I got in my Engine light up kit but no response.

I finally got a few of these. Got the vf-31j, 31c, 31s fighter modes and the J battroid. Also picked up the op11 lighting set. I'm a total noob at building these. Can anyone let me know everything  (glue, masking tape, knife etc) that i need to complete this build? I hate starting a job and finding out that i need to buy something to finish it off especially if it's something i have to order online. Thanks in advance.

43 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I finally got a few of these. Got the vf-31j, 31c, 31s fighter modes and the J battroid. Also picked up the op11 lighting set. I'm a total noob at building these. Can anyone let me know everything  (glue, masking tape, knife etc) that i need to complete this build? I hate starting a job and finding out that i need to buy something to finish it off especially if it's something i have to order online. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a modeler too, and I was able to assemble these with just a nipper, a knife and glue. Maybe some clothes clips to hold glued parts together to dry. Macro-able eyes and small fingers needed too, the parts could be very small, haha!

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

make sure you test the OP11 led unit BEFORE installing it as once its in you cant get it out and I've had a set with one white and one blue LED.

You'll also need a small piece of aluminium tape to line the inside of the leg seams to make them light proof on both the VF-1 kits and the VF-31 kits.

Edited by NZEOD

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is all very helpful and appreciated.

7 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Super glue, because model cement will only dissolve the paint but not really affect the plastic.  

Will super glue affect the paint in any way? I already have this Tamiya liquid glue. I suppose that's not good to use? Is there a particular brand of super glue that is best to use?

6 hours ago, NZEOD said:

make sure you test the OP11 led unit BEFORE installing it as once its in you cant get it out and I've had a set with one white and one blue LED.

You'll also need a small piece of aluminium tape to line the inside of the leg seams to make them light proof on both the VF-1 kits and the VF-31 kits.

Great suggestion about the op11 unit. The would be annoying to complete the model to find out it didn't work or had two different colours.

Is aluminum tape something I can get from a Walmart or Home Depot, or do I need to order it from an hobby shop?

The Tamiya glue will work if you sand away the paint from the areas to be glued first. It's supposed to work with bare plastic, so obviously the paint will get in the way of that. As for type of super glue, I'm partial to gel-form super glues that have a slightly longer work time than the 20 microseconds you get with the watery variety. Brand doesn't matter too much, I think.

I wouldn't want to offer advice without having tried it myself, but I imagine (thin) aluminium foil glued to the walls of the kit would work just as well... NZEOD?

10 hours ago, Sandman said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is all very helpful and appreciated.

Will super glue affect the paint in any way? I already have this Tamiya liquid glue. I suppose that's not good to use? Is there a particular brand of super glue that is best to use?

Great suggestion about the op11 unit. The would be annoying to complete the model to find out it didn't work or had two different colours.

Is aluminum tape something I can get from a Walmart or Home Depot, or do I need to order it from an hobby shop?

most hardware and auto parts outlets would have it

Aluminium-Foil-Tape.jpg

The Walmart Versions...

eacaa968-67be-4512-96e5-3b9416231557_1.6bf78b71b-dc80-4f77-824c-2083d685d3a6_1.9bc9f2efe-13ba-4a69-b1dc-14d98967ac7a_1.4

Edited by NZEOD