Did you guys know that Johnny Blaze is back as ghost rider? Don't know what happened to Danny Ketch, but Blaze is back in the new ongoing series thats coming out soon.

I just picked up Wolverine:Origins 1 and 2. I got the variant covers, didn't really care for the michael turner version cover to #1, but it was all they had left. The Bryan hitch cover(the guy who drew ultimates) to #2 is AWESOME!!

Basically if your an old school wolvie fan who liked the first ongoing series in the late 80s, chances are you'll like origins. Story is intriguing and shows some of Wolverine's past as a CIA watchdog or in his words "dog handler".

Picked up Wolverine 42 today mainly because Humberto Ramos drew it. Story seems good too and it ties into Civil war. Wolvie is trying to hunt down Nitro even though a lot of people are against him doing so. My kinda book! He disobeys Cyclops and calls him out. EVen though it seems Wolvie doesn't really have many of his teammate's support, as usual he doesn't give a shi*t and goes on on his merry way to kick ass.

I also picked up Ion #1. Kyle Rayner's new identity. Interesting, least theres life left for him after being replaced as GL by Hal.

Also got Secret 6#1. KICK ASS. I highly reccomend it. Villain team starting to fight another villain team, and a villain's perspective in comics is always cool too.

Gi joe vs tf is surprisingly good....way better storyline than whats going on now in gi joe:american elite. For some reason the feel of the joes is captured better in the crossver book...HMMMM!!

Moon Knight is BAD ASS! Artwork is awesome Im so happy marvel brought back this obscure character!

And to those into Halo, the graphic novel is due out soon. Not sure when. Also one of my teachers/professors is in there(George Pratt). From VCU as well is Sterling Hundley.

The new Batwoman that'll debut in a july issue of 52 is...............................KATHY KANE! Yes, Kathy Kane the same as the 1950's Silver Age character that was retconned out of existance because of the original Crisis. DC describes her as a buxom lipstick lesbian with ties to fmr. Gotham City Detective Renee Montoya.

BatwomanColor.jpg

Edited by terry the lone wolf

"buxom lipstick lesbian"?? Never mind, I don't want to know. She's "built like a brick s--thouse," very sexy. And pretty tall too--always had a thing for tall chicks, for some reason. Or to quote one old-timer's description of a hot chick I've heard that's stuck with me: now that there's a 40-dollar mule!

She's a Brick House, oww! She's migh-tee migh-tee, an' she's lettin' it all hang out! :p

DC comics in promoting more diverse characters in their expanding universe will debut Great 10. A Chinese goverment super-team whose first appearance will be in the 52 mini-series.DCnews

Here's a few of the members of Great 10:

G10mother.jpg

Mother of Champions- able to give birth to a litter of Super Soldiers every three days.

G10thundermind.jpg

I laughed my ass of reading this article from I-Mockery about the Frank Miller/Jim Lee Batman.

Anybody reading that comic? I didn't know it even existed (I'm pretty out of the comic books industry nowadays). Can't help but wonder what was the editor thinking when he let that crazy book slip.

That was one of the greatest articles I have read. LOL.

One of my friends told me that all star bats is actually good and not to listen to the naysayers(everyone except him has told me it sucks, I have yet to pick an issue up). Somehow I think Frank Miller's got a reason for the mayhem but I am not sure.

Anyone care to elaborate on the story?

That was one of the greatest articles I have read.  LOL.

One of my friends told me that all star bats is actually good and not to listen to the naysayers(everyone except him has told me it sucks, I have yet to pick an issue up).  Somehow I think Frank Miller's got a reason for the mayhem but I am not sure.

Anyone care to elaborate on the story?

405199[/snapback]

I like All-Star Bats; it's really a prequel to the Dark Knight Returns/Strikes Back. It's a really a slow pace story but enjoyable. The first arc's about the origin of the Batman & Robin team. Just after the deaths of Dick's parents Batman rescues him from dirty cops trying to shut Dick up because he's a witness. So Bats & Dick are in a high speed chase with the police enroute to the Batcave.

Miller has really dropped the ball on ASBAR (All Star Batman and Robin). the first four issues have been Batman and Robin driving to the batcave. thats it. Miller has fell off, but Lee is still kicking butt. the book may be bad, but its got some great Jim Lee art to keep me buying it. the All Star books have been chronically late (All Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely has been really good, whenever it comes out). The line was designed to be an ultimate DC line, like Marvel's, but that has failed. Bendis and Bagley have been kicking ass for a while on Ultimate Spiderman, and are rarely late, with no fill in artists.

DC's one year later stuff has been pretty strong on the whole. Ion has been moving slow, but Kyle is my favorite character, so i'll bear with it. Teen Titans has been good so far. the undisputed champs, however, are the batman books by James Robinson (of starman fame) and the superman books by Geoff Johns (who writes everything DC puts out, almost) and Kurt Busiek (Marvels, Astro City, Arrowsmith). These arcs have been superb. check em out. 52 started slow, but i'll still be seeing where its going. Reboots are due for JSA, JLA, the Flash and Wonder Woman which should all kickass. Marvel kinda sucked it up with House of M (which has ASBAR-like pacing, really slow), but Civil War seems to be picking it up. I'll see what Millar has in store for Marvel.

Again, if you are not reading DMZ, Fables, Queen and Country, Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes, Supergirl, Invincible, the Walking Dead, Green Lantern, Ion and Powers, check em out. all are pretty worth it.

BTW, Dynamite Press released a BattleStar Galactica comic #0 for 25 cents last week. I'll be checking it out. its based on the new series, not the OG.

Edited by Isamu Atreides 86

LMAO that was pretty hilarious. The whole time I'm thinkin "this has got to be a spoof; somebody has to have Photoshopped those pages, right?"

Oh, and if you don't check any other page on that site--you have got to see Riki-oh: The Story of Ricky. It's Fist of the North Star meets Lock Up. Live-action. Words. Can. Not. Describe.... :ph34r:

Oops; maybe the X-films followed the comics closer than I thought? What's with this "Heroes & Martyrs" storyline? It's touted as "the final tale of the X-men." It's been years since I've bought any comics. So perhaps Cyclops and Xavier are among the fallen in this storyline? I like the cover artwork that I've seen so far. They've even gone so far to make Wolvie look much more like H. Jackman.

On a side note: I also have always like the pencils of Jim Lee--but I have always wished he'd tone down the characters' musculature a bit; that was the only unrealistic thing about them to me. His char's tend to be so outrageously ripped, they look like they're wearing inflatable rubber muscle suits or something; they seem to defy human physiology/anatomy. Turn down the air pressure, dude! :lol:

post-1488-1149464667.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Oops; maybe the X-films followed the comics closer than I thought?  What's with this "Heroes & Martyrs" storyline?  It's touted as "the final tale of the X-men."  It's been years since I've bought any comics.  So perhaps Cyclops and Xavier are among the fallen in this storyline?  I like the cover artwork that I've seen so far.  They've even gone so far to make Wolvie look much more like H. Jackman. 

On a side note: I also have always like the pencils of Jim Lee--but I have always wished he'd tone down the characters' musculature a bit; that was the only unrealistic thing about them to me.  His char's tend to be so outrageously ripped, they look like they're wearing inflatable rubber muscle suits or something; they seem to defy human physiology/anatomy.  Turn down the air pressure, dude!  :lol:

405355[/snapback]

I might be wrong on this but it looks like one of the Xmen:The End books by Claremont. I am not sure if that series has wrapped up yet.

If it wasn't for Jim Lee's art, I would've stopped buying All-Star Batman already. Story is moving along at a snail's pace; I can't believe it took that long for them to get to the batcave.

All-Star Superman on the otherhand is very good. I just recently started reading comics and Grant Morrisons is one of best writers out there IMO.

Civil War recently kicked off for Marvel; the first issue was sick! I found new respect for Cap, he tore S.H.E.I.L.D. a new one.

Marvel is starting to kick ass now. The new age of apocalypse trade was AWESOME..I didn't think a continuation of a 10 year old story would be good but for a follow up, it sure as hell certainly was. It had a good conclusion as well, and of course, I couldn't pass up Chris Bachalo drawing Weapon X.

Civil War is off to a good start. I wish I could have said the same for House of M last year. I was very surprised to see that Cap was against the govt and the alcoholic bad ass Tony Stark was supporting the govt and is against Cap. Very surprising indeed.

I have heard good things about All star superman. Is the art any good?

BTW ultimates fans....did you know that Brian Hitch did some old old transformers comics in the UK wayyy back? If you look at his work then and to now, his stuff now is so much more refined!

Anyone reading "Basilisk"? Its a ninja manga just put out by del rey.

405346[/snapback]

I did until the 13th scanlation, and then I started seeing the anime. It was a nice action packed story very reminiscent of Ninja Scroll (freaky ninjas with freaky attacks).

I switched to the anime because the story was more detailed on the animated version (something that normally is the other way around) but it’s fallen into my “I’ll continue watching later†pile.

(I've felt like continuing the manga lately though).

Edited by Twoducks

Oops; maybe the X-films followed the comics closer than I thought?  What's with this "Heroes & Martyrs" storyline?  It's touted as "the final tale of the X-men."  It's been years since I've bought any comics.  So perhaps Cyclops and Xavier are among the fallen in this storyline?  I like the cover artwork that I've seen so far.  They've even gone so far to make Wolvie look much more like H. Jackman. 

On a side note: I also have always like the pencils of Jim Lee--but I have always wished he'd tone down the characters' musculature a bit; that was the only unrealistic thing about them to me.  His char's tend to be so outrageously ripped, they look like they're wearing inflatable rubber muscle suits or something; they seem to defy human physiology/anatomy.  Turn down the air pressure, dude!  :lol:

405355[/snapback]

He looks more like a young, deranged rock star.

Does Marvel have any new artists or do all of the character still look constipated in every panel? One of the reason I stopped buying X-books is because of the artists. I couldn't stand to look at them when all of the characters were always pissed off like they hade to take a massive crap.

405394[/snapback]

It's probably that they only have maybe 10 good artists and 3-4 of those are greatly talented, but what throws the art off is generally the lack of artist & inker parting for any length of time.

-----

The start of the Marvel Civil Wars is fairly unsurprising. Cap has always been a private person and a strong believer in what he was fighting for, the very tradional values of 1930's-40's where it was still believable that the govt was empowered by the people FOR the people and not the way it is today. Stark on the other hand was always hiding his ID and until recently held the same ideal as Cap did. Stark now holds the childish view of "If you don't have anything to hide, you don't have any reason not to tell.". If anything the entire story is a blah! attempt at socio-policitcal commentary.

-----

I've been doing art design research lately on old book covers when I stumbled across something very surprising at this website: http://www.sfcovers.net/mainnav.htm under From Unknown Worlds US and UK editions - NEW

A sample of what it is below. The nearly knocked me outta my chair! Ross has some questions to answer.....

post-2410-1149490634_thumb.jpg

Actually that isn't Stark's position at all from what I recall. In fact he doesn't want the SRA. He thinks it's a bad idea and it's part of why he didn't seek to have the Avengers team to be supported by the government but keeping it independent. What he does want and wanted is a superhero alliance of sorts but no on the terms the government wants.

The New Avengers: Illumnati special made this clear I believe in that he knows full well that superhero registration act is going to pass. Even though he doesn't want to. That's what the whole thing in Spider-man: Road to Civil War (Mr. Parker goes to Washtington arc) was about. Him as Tony Stark trying to talk the senators out of it but as Iron Man setting Peter/Spidey up to fight someone as a way to show how superheros are needed and that the SRA is wrong. He just feels that since it's going to pass no matter what it's best to support it while it's fresh in hopes of having some control over it so things dont' get out of hand.

For example, someone like Shield's Agent Hill is a clear example of how things can get out of hand. That situation with Captain America is the type of thing Tony wants to avoid. He used the Younger Avengers, Runaways, and Spider-man as example of what could happen. Which is why it might have looked somewhat disturbing that he told the President at the even of Civil War #1 that he'd handle Captain America, along side Mr. Fantastic and Ant Man. I think it isn't going to come to blows which is what it might look like. Tony always seemed to be about being in control and doing things on his terms.

I get the feeling it's going to be actions similar to Hill's that is going to cause this whole situation to get to the point where both sides will end up end up bloody. Her actions in Civil War #1 and even in New Avengers #19 just point to that for me. Even going as far back as the New Avengers: Breakout, the first arc where Shield blasted that entire Shield group mining operation, with the New Avengers at ground zero, which really looked like them (Shield) trying to cover the whole operation up.

405355[/snapback]

That's X-Men: The End series written by X-God Chris Claremont (please get well Chris; all my best to his family). It's part of Marvel's The End line with Punisher, Wolverine, and soon Fantastic Four. They're supposed to be the very last adventures of these heroes. X-Men was planned as a trilogy of 18 books broken up in three groups of six.

That's X-Men: The End series written by X-God Chris Claremont (please get well Chris; all my best to his family). It's part of Marvel's The End line with Punisher, Wolverine, and soon Fantastic Four. They're supposed  to be the very last adventures of these heroes. X-Men was planned as a trilogy of 18 books broken up in three groups of six.

405501[/snapback]

Yup, I've since found some reviews at www.thexaxis.com, and the bloke who did them wasn't too kind about it. In a nutshell, he basically condemns [that may be a harsh term] Claremont of losing focus of the core themes of the X-Men [can mutants/humans coexist? the prejudices of man, etc] and/or giving some sort of resolution to them; i.e. have the X-Men succeeded or failed in fulfilling Charles Xavier's dream? "Did they achieve their purpose and retire contented, or did they fail and die frustrated?" Instead, according to the review, what readers get is space opera with obscure alien characters like the Shi'ar, Warskrulls, and others, as well as attempts to cram cameos of nearly every X-character somewhere into the pages of the 18 issues to the series. By the time he gets to vol. 3, his favorite review closer goes something like "...Claremont fans will love it, of course, and good luck to them. For the rest of us, it's hard to know what the point is."

Still, I like the issue covers and their pretty realistically drawn characters. Makes them look much more "human" and believable than a lot of other comic incarnations that I've seen of them. Sean Chen is credited with pencils; did he do the covers as well?

Still, I like the issue covers and their pretty realistically drawn characters. Makes them look much more "human" and believable than a lot of other comic incarnations that I've seen of them. Sean Chen is credited with pencils; did he do the covers as well?

405519[/snapback]

Yeah, I believe he did and his artwork is amazing.

Does Marvel have any new artists or do all of the character still look constipated in every panel? One of the reason I stopped buying X-books is because of the artists. I couldn't stand to look at them when all of the characters were always pissed off like they hade to take a massive crap.

405394[/snapback]

It's probably that they only have maybe 10 good artists and 3-4 of those are greatly talented, but what throws the art off is generally the lack of artist & inker parting for any length of time.

-----

The start of the Marvel Civil Wars is fairly unsurprising. Cap has always been a private person and a strong believer in what he was fighting for, the very tradional values of 1930's-40's where it was still believable that the govt was empowered by the people FOR the people and not the way it is today. Stark on the other hand was always hiding his ID and until recently held the same ideal as Cap did. Stark now holds the childish view of "If you don't have anything to hide, you don't have any reason not to tell.". If anything the entire story is a blah! attempt at socio-policitcal commentary.

-----

I've been doing art design research lately on old book covers when I stumbled across something very surprising at this website: http://www.sfcovers.net/mainnav.htm under From Unknown Worlds US and UK editions - NEW

A sample of what it is below. The nearly knocked me outta my chair! Ross has some questions to answer.....

post-2410-1149490634_thumb.jpg

405481[/snapback]

Ross? Why?

And I too am a fan of Sean Chen's work, ever since I picked up Iron Man#1 when they did Heroes return.

I have heard good things about All star superman. Is the art any good?

BTW ultimates fans....did you know that Brian Hitch did some old old transformers comics in the UK wayyy back?  If you look at his work then and to now, his stuff now is so much more refined!

405373[/snapback]

The art in All-Star Superman is done by Frank Quitely. The first issue he drew Supes a little off for me, but he's refined him in subsequent issues, so he looks better to me now. I really like his art, have been a fan since him and Morrison did New X-Men. The art and the story go well together.

Did anyone pick up book 6 of "Xmen:the end"?  It concluded/came out on wednesday

406434[/snapback]

I picked it up, but haven't read it yet. BTW Sean Chen hasn't done all the covers for X-men the end. The artist that draws ultimate Fantastic Four was doing them at first. He also pencilled the X-men Phoenix story from about a yr ago.

Dan Land is the Artist.

I like the art for All Star Superman. Frank Quitely is an acquired taste, but he definately grows on you. I still think that his women all look like dried prunes.

Edited by Golden Arms

• 2 months later...

Update: the ALL NEW, ALL DIFFERENT JLA LINEUP!

justiceleagueofamerica1.jpg

jla4.jpg

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Wonder Woman

4) Red Tornado

5) Black Canary

6) Hawkgirl, alas no Shayera but Kendra Saunders

7) Black Lightning, long overdue JLA affiliation

8) Vixen, this time she's on decent JLA team and also a great character that deserves to play in the big leagues!

9) Green Lantern Hal Jordan

10) Arsenal, graduated Teen Titan

Edited by terry the lone wolf

So wait Arsenal got rid of all his guns and ammo to pick up the bow and arrow again? Why? What about the second Green Arrow what happened to him?

427326[/snapback]

I believe Brad Metzler wanted to add a bowman to the JLA and returned Arsenal back to his Speedy roots. Also, in Kingdom Come Aresnal was calling himself Red Arrow. Since Ollie Queen is back from the dead Conner Hawke unofficially returned the moniker of Green Arrow back to his father. I'm not sure but I think there was a time they were both referred to as Green Arrow. Conner will be receiving his own mini-series in a few months.