Has anyone read Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again? I know it wasn't well received, especially since folks were expecting something more along the lines of Dark Knight Returns, but not expecting much, I actually enjoyed the read.

The art's just kind of... out there... the earlier pages look really rough and lazy, and the coloring's experimental, and, well, pretty bad... but both seem to tighten up towards the end of the book. There were a few pages that were so good they almost seemed out of place, and I felt like I was reading DKR again. It was as if DKSA could have been awesome if Miller wanted it awesome. But instead he wanted to screw around and could, because well, he's Frank Miller, and Lynn Varley could tinker with photoshop, because she's his wife.

Sure, the story wasn't as deep and complex as Dark Knight Returns, but it was still a pretty great read with some big surprises and some pretty memorable moments, especially at the end. And for once, instead of Miller portraying Superman as dumb dumb, he's just only kinda sorta dumb, and kind of gets a clue at the end.

I know I wasn't supposed to, but I liked it!

Edited by Sundown

Has anyone read Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again?  I know it wasn't well received, especially since folks were expecting something more along the lines of Dark Knight Returns, but not expecting much, I actually enjoyed the read.  The art's just kind of... out there... the earlier pages look really rought and lazy, and the coloring's experimental, and, well, pretty bad... but both seem to tighten up towards the end of the book.  There are a few pages that almost seem out of place, where it almost felt like I was reading DKR again.  It was as if DKSA could have been awesome if Miller wanted it awesome.  But instead he wanted to screw around and could, because well, he's Frank Miller, and Lynn Varley could tinker with photoshop, because she's his wife.

Sure, the story isn't as deep and complex as Dark Knight Returns, but it was still a pretty great read with some big surprises and some pretty memorable moments, especially at the end.  And for once, instead of Miller portraying Superman as dumb dumb, he's just only kinda sorta dumb, and kind of gets a clue at the end.

I know I wasn't supposed to, but I liked it!

379078[/snapback]

I read it and I didn't like it for the same reasons you've stated. But thats kind of the point i guess. Its not supposed to be an exact copy of the original. However i really think that the story should have gone in a totally different direction, what that should have been i couldn't say. As for the artwork. I really could have done w/out the colors. Black and white would have been just fine or even Black white and red like some of other that have come out.

edit :sp

Edited by Macross73

A few titles people should be reading, if they're not:

DMZ, Fables, Y the Last man, Loveless, Invincible. The new Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic series has been pretty good, with stellar art in its first 2 issues. everyone needs to read Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Sandman and the Invincibles, all of which are out in trades. Also, Brian Wood's Demo was excellent, and people missed it while it was out in the shops. Planetary is one of the best books out today, as is the Walking Dead. Mark Waid and Barry Kitson are doing awesome things with the Legion of Superheroes (first few issues are out in trade, with Supergirl joining the team in the OYL stories). If you haven't read Greg Rucka's (one of the architects of the IC) Queen and Country stuff, you should (its about MI-5 operatives).

I'm also reading the new Transformers comic. The story is building itself, slowly but surely. I'm still on the fence with EJ Su; his art is okay, but nothing really spectacular. I like that he's updated the vehicle modes of all the TFs. I'm gonna have to check again, but Bumblebee made an appearance last issue, but I'm not sure if he's a New Beetle because his transformation is different from classic G1. It's more Alternators style (roof and windshield on the back instead of being his chest).

Transformers vs GIJoe just came out again, a new storyarc. I really like Joe Ng's artwork. Also, the story is pretty cool, some Serpent.o.r. action thrown into the mix, pretty cool way they did it IMHO.

I may have to start checking out the new Beast Wars comic, but I think I need to watch all of Beast Wars. I've seen most of the show, but missed alot of the later episodes.

Is anyone reading the transformers comics? I think infiltration...is just decent.  The art is rather bland and doesn't grab my attention, I think EJ Su needs work even though IDW Chris Ryall makes MANY attempts to stand up for him and promises upcoming issues will solidify him as one of THEE TF artists.  Nonetheless Su's people drawings look uninspired and the vehicle alt modes of the tfs look very very unproportionate. Robot modes are....okay.

BEAST WARS however by Don Figueroa kicks mighty ass.  Very cool.  I'm surprised Fuhrman decided to bring some obscure and japanese characters into the fray...such as Magmatron.  I thought it was awesome Polar Claw got some love as well.  Not to mention its DRAWN very well and the colors are good.  Story is something Im feelin, its nice to see japanese exclusive characters such as Lio Convoy and magmatron gettin some love here, and man Don made lio convoy look WAY better than the toy incarnations. Now if the toys were like THAT....wow.  (lio convoy toys from what I hear were not that good but the robotmaster version i hear is better than the original). 

378389[/snapback]

• 3 weeks later...

For those wanting to get into the Beast Wars comic, the story is a mesh of the US and japanese storylines. Optimus PRimal is nowhere to be seen aside the covers so far. And right now Lio Convoy seems to play a prominent leadership role, as well as Magmatron for the preds. Next issue has them kicking each other's ass.....well least the cover shows that. I like it, and obscure beast wars characters show up as well.

Also OYL looks pretty good so far, Nightwing is off to a good start. Jason Todd is the 2nd Nightwing....so theres a rivalry b/w him and Dick. Issue starts off with Jason slicing some dude's throat. Ends with Dick thrown off a building but Jason catching him. Oh and Dick ain't engaged to Babs no more.

And anyone care to explain to me what the hell superboy prime is about? Is he an armored superhero badass superman? Or is he a villain? This multiple earth thing is confusing!

This thread dropped off and I forgot to ask a question :)

Can anyone recommend some good X-Men paperback collections? It's been years since I read any good X-books (the Jim Lee/Chris Claremont series, issues #1 through #12 was the last X-Men I read, well, aside from Sabertooth In The Red Zone). It would be nice to have a read through some good story arcs without having to search for the individual issues.

Can anyone recommend some good X-Men paperback collections?  It's been years since I read any good X-books (the Jim Lee/Chris Claremont series, issues #1 through #12 was the last X-Men I read, well, aside from Sabertooth In The Red Zone).  It would be nice to have a read through some good story arcs without having to search for the individual issues.

385592[/snapback]

The Astonishing Xmen tpbs vol 1 and 2. To me this is the only X men series with cohesiveness/consistency. One read at uncanny and already my mind is going in spirals trying to figure out wtf is going on. With astonishing, its a team with a small roster, consistent storyline, and not that much interaction with other x titles. It stands on its own rather than relying on other xbooks, which is rare nowatdays.

Can anyone recommend some good X-Men paperback collections?  It's been years since I read any good X-books (the Jim Lee/Chris Claremont series, issues #1 through #12 was the last X-Men I read, well, aside from Sabertooth In The Red Zone).  It would be nice to have a read through some good story arcs without having to search for the individual issues.

385592[/snapback]

The New X-Men trades by Grant Morrison were pretty good, and they set up Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men pretty good.

*snip*

The Astonishing Xmen tpbs vol 1 and 2.  To me this is the only X men series with cohesiveness/consistency.  One read at uncanny and already my mind is going in spirals trying to figure out wtf is going on. With astonishing, its a team with a small roster, consistent storyline, and not that much interaction with other x titles. It stands on its own rather than relying on other xbooks, which is rare nowatdays.

385610[/snapback]

I looked up these books on the net and I assume you're referring to the Joss Whedon books correct? Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll check them out.

Believe me, I know full well the tangled travesty that is the timeline of X-Men books. To call the franchise a continuity nightmare would be selling it short :)

Speaking of X-books, any opinion on those "Wolverine Origin" or the "Wolverine The End" books? I've heard both good and bad things about these books. Doing a little research, it seems most fans still point to the Chris Claremont/Frank Miller TPB as the best Wolverine TPB, but I'd like to learn a bit more info about Origin/End if you have any opinion.

*snip*

The Astonishing Xmen tpbs vol 1 and 2.  To me this is the only X men series with cohesiveness/consistency.  One read at uncanny and already my mind is going in spirals trying to figure out wtf is going on. With astonishing, its a team with a small roster, consistent storyline, and not that much interaction with other x titles. It stands on its own rather than relying on other xbooks, which is rare nowatdays.

385610[/snapback]

I looked up these books on the net and I assume you're referring to the Joss Whedon books correct? Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll check them out.

Believe me, I know full well the tangled travesty that is the timeline of X-Men books. To call the franchise a continuity nightmare would be selling it short :)

Speaking of X-books, any opinion on those "Wolverine Origin" or the "Wolverine The End" books? I've heard both good and bad things about these books. Doing a little research, it seems most fans still point to the Chris Claremont/Frank Miller TPB as the best Wolverine TPB, but I'd like to learn a bit more info about Origin/End if you have any opinion.

385671[/snapback]

Yep I was referring to Joss' X books.

The END was drawn well, but the storyline was cliche and very very very predictable. Basically it ties into ORigin....but more or less wasn't needed. It just adds to it....but it was not a necesarry story addition. By the time you read the first chapter you pretty much already know how it will turn out. Has the "too good to be true" kind of motif. Basically you are also teased with knowing MORE about Wolvie's past that even he himself knows nothing about at this point but at the end you never know what it is. Dissapointing. If you are going to get it, get it for the art and for the fact that Wolverine still does not die.

Origin was good. Hints at "Dog" being Sabretooth. The storyline came out of nowhere and was nothing I was expecting AT ALL. Explains the whole memory lapse thing(memory loss wasn't at the hands of the CIA, wolvie's healing factor is not just physical but mental, whatever trauma occurs to him, he usually forgets over time...and some pretty traumatic stuff does happen in that story). If anything its a fresh take at the origin of wolverine that doesn't coming off sounding like a modernized Weapon X tale. IF anything, its anything BUT.

BTW at the end of House of M, Wolverine remembers EVERYTHING in his past. Which ties into the ongoing "Wolverine:Origins" book coming in april.

The clarement/miller trade probably is the best Wolverine trade.

I concur with Shin and Isamu that Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is an excellent on-going series to check out. New X-Men by Morrison is also very good read also.

If you're looking for some good recent Wolverine, check out Wolverine: Enemy of the State by Millar. I found the story pretty cool involving the Hand, Hydra, S.H.E.I.L.D., Daredevil, Elektra, and the X-Men. It's two volumes with volume 2 only in HC right now I believe.

Also, All-Star Superman #3 just came out and I really like what Grant Morrison is doing. It's a different take on Supes and I really like it. Also, the story is moving along nicely unlike All-Star Batman and Robin which hasn't gone anywhere since issue 1. Three issues in and Batman and Robin are still in the Batmobile! WTF!?!?!

I just finished reading the old Wolverine TBP by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller. What a great story! I can't believe I've gone so many years without reading this tale of Wolverine. No wonder there were screams for Wolverine to have his own series once fans got a taste of this 4 issue limited series. This TBP, that collects the four issues, really put a character into Wolverine that most of us now take for granted. This was well worth the investment. I think this book is now among my top X-books of all time.

I'll see if I can obtain Whedon's Astonishing X-Men books for cheap, cause they sound promising.

I just finished reading the old Wolverine TBP by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller.  What a great story!  I can't believe I've gone so many years without reading this tale of Wolverine.  No wonder there were screams for Wolverine to have his own series once fans got a taste of this 4 issue limited series.  This TBP, that collects the four issues,  really put a character into Wolverine that most of us now take for granted.  This was well worth the investment.  I think this book is now among my top X-books of all time.

I'll see if I can obtain Whedon's Astonishing X-Men books for cheap, cause they sound promising.

386753[/snapback]

I think vol1. and 2 are available for 12.99 each. There is also a hardcover with both. Its too bad that Whedon and Cassady will eventually leave Astonishing to a new creative team(I forgot who was named as their replacements but I read it at newsarama).

I just finished reading the old Wolverine TBP by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller.  What a great story!  I can't believe I've gone so many years without reading this tale of Wolverine.  No wonder there were screams for Wolverine to have his own series once fans got a taste of this 4 issue limited series.  This TBP, that collects the four issues,  really put a character into Wolverine that most of us now take for granted.  This was well worth the investment.  I think this book is now among my top X-books of all time.

386753[/snapback]

where can I find that TPB? I would like to read the miniseries

386753[/snapback]

386879[/snapback]

I usually find it at waldenbooks. If not there, your local comic store.

386753[/snapback]

386879[/snapback]

but do u know the exact name of the tpb? so i can search it online.

I usually find it at waldenbooks. If not there, your local comic store.

386901[/snapback]

*snip*

386929[/snapback]

The title is simply Wolverine (with a "Marvel Comics Presents" subheading). ISBN number is 087135277X, or you can follow this link to Amazon.com:

Wolverine 4-Issue Limited Series TBP

Edited by Mr March

*snip*

386929[/snapback]

The title is simply Wolverine (with a "Marvel Comics Presents" subheading). ISBN number is 087135277X, or you can follow this link to Amazon.com:

Wolverine 4-Issue Limited Series TBP

387023[/snapback]

There is also a vol.2 I am not sure how hold it is but I saw it at a local comic shop a week ago.

Anyone picking up the Ashley Wood Hellspawn tpb later this month? I totally forgot he even painted that series!

*snip*

There is also a vol.2 I am not sure how hold it is but I saw it at a local comic shop a week ago. 

387030[/snapback]

Huh? Volume 2 of what? The limited series was 4 issues, nothing more. Unless you're talking about the TBP of the ongoing Wolverine series started in 1988 or the "Best of Wolverine" volumes that collect both the 4-issue limited series plus Weapon X, Incredible Hulk, and Captain America issues that feature Wolverine as a guest star.

*snip*

387030[/snapback]

Huh? Volume 2 of what? The limited series was 4 issues, nothing more. Unless you're talking about the TBP of the ongoing Wolverine series started in 1988 or the "Best of Wolverine" volumes that collect both the 4-issue limited series plus Weapon X, Incredible Hulk, and Captain America issues that feature Wolverine as a guest star.

387160[/snapback]

The cover is white....it was the first time I had seen it. Not sure if it is "best of wolverine" since I have seen that as well.

speaking of other good wolvie mini series there was one called 'Meltdown' with wolverine and havok. It was a 4 issue series, but not sure if it was ever collected. Must have orginally come out somewhere around 89-91?

speaking of other good wolvie mini series there was one called 'Meltdown' with wolverine and havok. It was a 4 issue series, but not sure if it was ever collected. Must have orginally come out somewhere around 89-91?

387262[/snapback]

I've seen it a few weeks back. To my knowledge it has yet to recieve the TPB treatment. I gotta pick it up, Wolvie is my fav and Havok is one of my favs as well.

Just checked amazon.. it's avaoilable in TPB. I'm getting this too as my copies of the series disappeared many years ago.

Meltdown link

Oh and in the spirit of mentioning other long forgotten great collected series, if anyone ever sees the TPB of John Wagner's 2000AD series Button Man: The Killing Game, BUY IT! Mark my words, this will be a movie one day (if it hasn't been sold). It's available at Amazon UK (man, I'm starting to sound like their sales rep, haha)

387262[/snapback]

I owned it at one time. I didn't care for it at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Newsarama interviews Matt Wayne(one of the head writers on JLU) about the last four episodes and the upcoming Legion of SuperHeroes. Also, there's previews for DC's 52 weekly mini with apperances from new heroes like Supernova and the return of old ones like Isis!newsarama

Just checked amazon.. it's avaoilable in TPB. I'm getting this too as my copies of the series disappeared many years ago.

Meltdown link

Oh and in the spirit of mentioning other long forgotten great collected series, if anyone ever sees the TPB of John Wagner's 2000AD series Button Man: The Killing Game, BUY IT! Mark my words, this will be a movie one day (if it hasn't been sold). It's available at Amazon UK (man, I'm starting to sound like their sales rep, haha)

387278[/snapback]

I just managed to track down the final copy I needed to finish this series. I like Jon J Muth, but he doesn't really shine here as he does in Moonshadow.

My memory of Meltdown might be biased with nostalgia as I read it so long ago.. Maybe it's like watching tv shows you loved as a kid as an adult and realising they're pretty bad. Like Monkey. Or the Goodies.

Well I got my pile of TPB's from Amazon and read em all. I loved Walking Dead. It really gets it right on the feeling of believiability. I kept thinking "what would I do?" and that's what would happen in the book.

Kingdom Come was excellent too. The Jeff Loeb batman books were good pulp crime fun and tied in with Miller's Year One amazingly.

Now I'm just waiting for the next books of 100 Bullets, Fables and Walking Dead to come out.

:impatient:

PS - has anyone read Torso by Brian Michael Bendis? Looks interesting but I don't know anything about it.

PS - has anyone read Torso by Brian Michael Bendis? Looks interesting but I don't know anything about it.

392840[/snapback]

I read it. It was pretty good from what I can remember.

It's about Eliot Ness's search for the Cleveland Torso Murderer. I saw a special about it (about the Torso Murderer, not the graphic novel) on A&E (I think).

IIRC I think a studio is adapting the graphic novel into a feature film.

Edited by Rocket Punch