THOR - The Movie

EXO

Something about that costume, looks like a business suit with the tie missing. And yes, I agree that it will be an absolute cheese fest. I dunno what they were thinking making this one.....

Taksraven

Seen these (and the Captain America suit) on slashfilm. AFAIK, they are still not confirmed as official.

Regarding the thunder god, Thor was always going to be a hard sell. He's one of the more outrageous super heroes in both character design and in concept. If these pictures are legit, I think they did as good a job as they could trying to mute the costume and make the character design less flamboyant than the comic. A tall order. Even then, this costume concept comes across as very "hair metal", which isn't necessary bad as much as superficially more difficult to take seriously.

Seen these (and the Captain America suit) on slashfilm. AFAIK, they are still not confirmed as official.

Then you haven't seen this:

firstthor.th.jpg

The renders EXO posted are pretty close to the real costume.

I hope the film won't be as cheesy as that made-for-television Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno Incredible Hulk movie. In the comics, the normal guy who owns Mjolnir is actually supposed to transform into Thor, not summon him.

Edited by Wanzerfan

please some one let the onrush of superhero films end.......also they need the little girl from "adventures in babysitting" do a cameo

If they did that then someone would have to come up with a new idea :rolleyes:

I can't see that happening as the current line of thinking seems to be, why be original when you can rip off something that's already been done. Do it twice as bad and make twice as much money <_<

Edited by thegunny

Looks like a cross between the Ultimate version (no helmet and leather) and the normal Marvel version (arm chainmail/padding and cape).

Hope they do the Ultimates take and have Thor look like a mental patient that just stole a very powefull weapon. In that comic universe he was a hippy New Age spokeperson that thinks he is a god but the rest of his hero friends just laugh off his stories about giants and trolls and all that magic as crazy talk.

Hope they do the Ultimates take and have Thor look like a mental patient that just stole a very powefull weapon.

I'll go further and say I hope this is secretly not a Thor movie but really a Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul movie. I'll be waiting for shots of Thor with his Coke vending machine.

Edited by eriku

I hate the term "modern audience". As if there's a collective that approves and disapproves on all things movies. The fact is if you're going to option a superhero movie... make it based on the character that you just bought.

If the modern audience won't go for a character just because he has a cape, then explain Batman and the all the money it makes. If the modern audience won't go for a superhero in spandex, then what about Spiderman. And if a helmet is unrealistic to the modern audience, then why doesn't Tony Stark fly around with his head sticking out.

The fact is, these people that make these movies are afraid of the very property they are responsible for. They love the idea of a built in audience. They love the fact that the movie might accept them as "one of them" because they too read comic books as a kid. But all it is is the fact that it's easy money and Kennath Brannagh hasn't made anything that anyone wanted to watch since... EVER. Now he's trying to worm his way into the mainstream audience's pockets by getting attached to a major comic book character. you always hear about the douche actor that says "Oh I always wanted to do a comic book movie" then they hand him the spandex and they're like WTF... I never thought about this part.

I've never been a big fan of Thor but I always thought the wings on the helmet was cool along with the big fat hammer. I mean you have a guy running around with a glowing hammer and you're afraid to design a helmet with wings?

Isn't this costume almost a complete lift of the current comics? Google images show a lot of similar costumes in the official comic art, so technically the leaked picture IS the character.

But to be honest, given Hollywood's history, the powers that be at a movie studio have every right to fear the production of cheesy crap :)

But to be honest, given Hollywood's history, the powers that be at a movie studio have every right to fear the production of cheesy crap :)

What does that even mean? What's Hollywood's history? Didn't I just give a small summary of Hollywood's history? The ones that made money for sure are the ones that stuck to the designs and respected the source. Christopher Reeve's Superman, Toby Macguire's Spider-Man, and even Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man, as updated the mechanics are stuck the basic look and scheme of Iron Man. Edward Norton's Hulk was a lot closer to the look of the comic book's than the first one and it was accepted a lot more. It's when the movie makers start to make these characters to look more like S&M freaks that they start to cheesy. I'm not saying that it's the costume that makes the movie. I'm saying that you can make the costume close to the source, and then you put people that can carry these "cheesy" comic book looks and pull it off because it's surrounded by an actual story that respects the character and his/her journey.

IMO, Abe Sapien from the Hellboy movies looks like the he does in the book and is done very well. But because those stries they tell are so bad, they just lose the audience's interest.

And if you check out Sideshow's Dr. Doom...

post-151-127569588877_thumb.jpg

and compare it to the "modern audience" safe version

doom.jpg

and it's clear that while the studios do have the right to make however they want... their fear of actually making the movie like the books keeps them from making a respectable version of something that they consider cheesy.

The problem is that the studios are more concerned with formula than they are with a good story. And seeing how successful these studios are now if they keep thinking the way they do, as you defend them, March... then I'm sure that no one will be watching any superhero movies in the future... just like we're not gonna see any Bond movies soon.

What does that even mean?

Well I suspect in English it means Thor is possibly going to be cheesy crap. However, the conspiracy theorists have long suspected my deep ties as a secret Hollywood studio stooge, in which case it translates to something far, FAR more dastardly :)

Like the live action costume being an unholy merging most foul of official comic book designs found via Google, such as these...

thorcomics2.jpg

As for the rest, Adam West "KAPOWING" in a blue leotard once sold. Now American Psycho in black kevlar is what sells Batman. Your process is just like that of your hated studios, using a formula which clearly doesn't apply uniformly. Simple.

batman2q.jpg

Terrible. Thor should not have any costume. He should be bare ass. THAT would get people's attention. After all, he is a God, what the hell does he need clothes for?