HG and Robotech Debates

From what I hear, the folks over at GONZO must've been stoned on some high-quality Mexican Grass (hell, Maybe Tommy Chong's their supplier) when they made The Shadow Chronicles. :p

I'm really sick of correcting Wanz. Does someone else want to do it for me...?

From what I hear, the folks over at GONZO must've been stoned on some high-quality Mexican Grass (hell, Maybe Tommy Chong's their supplier) when they made The Shadow Chronicles. :p

Gonzo?? What happened to Dr Movie?

Maybe you need to get off the juice, you are making up a lot of facts.

HG should redub The Asylums Titanic 2 and make it the Robotech LAM.

No. They should re-dub this instead. Besides, RT fans wouldn't tell the difference.

Nah, it wouldn't be worth the time. How about a sing-along instead?

Wanzerfan, Wanzerfan

Does whatever a wanker can

Shoots his mouth, really loud

Don't know what he's talking about

Look out - here comes the Wanzerfan

Is he smart? Listen bud

His whole cranium's full of mud

Every post, every thread

No respect for the dead

Douchebag - a.k.a. Wanzerfan

Everything he writes

Should be classified a crime

Whether day or night

He arrives to waste our time

Wanzerfan, Wanzerfan

Friendly neighborhood wanker man

Set his name to Ignore

Common sense is your reward

Screw him

All of his posts are f-cked-up

Someone tell him to shut up

That dork called Wanzerfan

oh why the heck not...

the actual digital production of animation was handled by the Korean animation company DR Movie, whose credits include subcontracting on the inbetweens of Yukikaze [a GONZO production]

in other words: swing and a miss for Wanzerfan who maintains his impressive 000 batting average.

Edited by anime52k8

From what I hear, the folks over at GONZO must've been stoned on some high-quality Mexican Grass (hell, Maybe Tommy Chong's their supplier) when they made The Shadow Chronicles. tongue.gif

Also, Tommy Chong isn't Mexican.

When did Tommy became "one of the leading japanese anime artists in the world"?

http://cbs13.com/video/?id=75957

Hmm, to me it feels really inappropriate for Tommy Yune to talk about something someone else made, which in turn his predecessor did for the original material. And oh my God, he practically said he and co. are pretty much leading people on about the ongoing Robotech "storyline" with Rick Hunter and etc. in the most casual way possible. It IS total BS.

What a morning local news show fluff piece.

*sigh* Fine... fine... I'll be his keeper for a while to give you a break, 'kay?:rolleyes:

'kay dude... let's be serious here for a minute. What the f*ck? I have no idea how you even do this... how can a man be wrong this consistently? Now, we've known each other for a good long time, so let me offer you a piece of friendly advice: Rigorous fact-checking, like Sam Adams, is always a good decision. Before you click the "Add Reply" button, take a moment to make sure that what you're about to say is factually sound. I recommend you add Wikipedia, the Macross Compendium, and a few other resources to your browser's search bar to facilitate this. If you had checked beforehand, you might have noted that the Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles movie was animated by DR Movie, not Gonzo. Likewise, if you had taken the time to look up their Wikipedia or IMDB pages, you would have noted that the only hispanic member of the comedy act Cheech & Chong is Cheech Marin, his partner Tommy Chong is Canadian-American and of mixed Chinese and Scot-Irish heritage.

Hmm, to me it feels really inappropriate for Tommy Yune to talk about something someone else made, which in turn his predecessor did for the original material. And oh my God, he practically said he and co. are pretty much leading people on about the ongoing Robotech "storyline" with Rick Hunter and etc. in the most casual way possible. It IS total BS.

What a morning local news show fluff piece.

Must've been a slow news day? :huh:

Either way, it does feel a bit messed up for him to be there talking about it all as though he actually had any kind of involvement in its creation or editing.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

:: Checks in for any worthwhile news regarding RT .... None. Went back to sleep ::

P/S: Been wondering why I've been checking for RT news on a Macross site ..... WTF .... ohwaitaminute .... that gotta be the itch for Mac F the Movie DVD release instead.

No. They should re-dub this instead. Besides, RT fans wouldn't tell the difference.

Nah, it wouldn't be worth the time. How about a sing-along instead?

Wanzerfan, Wanzerfan

Does whatever a wanker can

Shoots his mouth, really loud

Don't know what he's talking about

Look out - here comes the Wanzerfan

Is he smart? Listen bud

His whole cranium's full of mud

Every post, every thread

No respect for the dead

Douchebag - a.k.a. Wanzerfan

Everything he writes

Should be classified a crime

Whether day or night

He arrives to waste our time

Wanzerfan, Wanzerfan

Friendly neighborhood wanker man

Set his name to Ignore

Common sense is your reward

Screw him

All of his posts are f-cked-up

Someone tell him to shut up

That dork called Wanzerfan

someone should actually sing this :lol:

:: Checks in for any worthwhile news regarding RT .... None. Went back to sleep ::

P/S: Been wondering why I've been checking for RT news on a Macross site

Dunno... my guess would be that you, like everyone else, know that any news of actual import is will show up in this thread long before it actually makes it to the front page news section on Robotech.com or RobotechX.

someone should actually sing this :lol:

Y'know, when I first saw it and realized it was the classic Spider-Man theme... I actually tried. There are a couple of lines in there that don't really scan, but on the whole it works pretty well. Shame it has to be devoted to bashing another MacrossWorld member.:huh:

Hmm, to me it feels really inappropriate for Tommy Yune to talk about something someone else made, which in turn his predecessor did for the original material.

Nah, I see people talk about something someone else made all the time. Besides listen to how how he says "some of the transformations of the 'animated series' could really translate right into toys." They know and subtlety acknowledge that they didn't create the meat and bones of Robotech, but of course they don't want to use a fan term like I dunno "Original series" for fear that fans would get too curious and interested in these so called original shows.

Either way, it does feel a bit messed up for him to be there talking about it all as though he actually had any kind of involvement in its creation or editing.

Well its not like Toyanmi is going start rolling out Invid Overlord toys anytime soon for him to transform in front of TV cameras with. Then again I doubt Tommy Yune even designed the Overlord himself. I know it first appeared in his Robotech: Invasion game, but it looks suspiciously like it was a scrapped concept from Tatsunko's mecha designers.

Nah, I see people talk about something someone else made all the time. Besides listen to how how he says "some of the transformations of the 'animated series' could really translate right into toys." They know and subtlety acknowledge that they didn't create the meat and bones of Robotech, but of course they don't want to use a fan term like I dunno "Original series" for fear that fans would get too curious and interested in these so called original shows.

I chalk it up to the same deceptive promotion from a guy that attaches himself to the same 3 TV shows people obsess about that always happens here. I know this is nitpicking a 3 minute segment, but these days this is pretty much how most news about Robotech gets out.

Macrossworld has intelligent discussion, real moderators, good board software, and a large number of users so this thread intentionally or unintentionally becomes the sanest evaluation of Robotech current events. This is a general forum not focused exclusively on otaku culture, but a lot of its content is related and makes it a good place to discuss something like the international Macross license also known as Robotech.

So I heard Tatsunoko (Takara) may still own the copyrights of the designs of Mospeada and Southern Cross. I haven't listened to the whole podcast yet. College tends to reduce the time I have available to listen to Tommy Yune and somebody speaking Spanish for 2-3 hours. I heard on RDF-HQ though, that when they make new animation they need Tatsunoko's permission. It's something that I've never seen confirmed before. I'm going to try to listen to it tonight and see if I can hear the part rtsurfer was talking about.

Well its not like Toyanmi is going start rolling out Invid Overlord toys anytime soon for him to transform in front of TV cameras with. Then again I doubt Tommy Yune even designed the Overlord himself. I know it first appeared in his Robotech: Invasion game, but it looks suspiciously like it was a scrapped concept from Tatsunko's mecha designers.

Actually, he did design that himself. Personally, I thought it was in keeping with the original Mospeada design. Too bad it wasn't used in any animation.

I chalk it up to the same deceptive promotion from a guy that attaches himself to the same 3 TV shows people obsess about that always happens here. I know this is nitpicking a 3 minute segment, but these days this is pretty much how most news about Robotech gets out.

Eh... really, deceit is about the only way the Robotech franchise can hang on to what little it has left in the way of a fan/consumer base. It's not like they're going to do themselves and, more importantly, the Robotech franchise's bottom line any favors by admitting that Robotech has nothing going on now or in the foreseeable future. That is, after all, NOT what the fans want to hear. It seems like a reasonably safe bet that Steve Yun, Tommy Yune, and Kevin McKeever want to keep their phony-baloney jobs; and a straightforward admission that Robotech is f*cked and they have no clue how to save it is a one-way ticket to humiliation and unemployment. For them to continue drawing a salary, they need to keep the loyal Robotech fans convinced that exciting new things are in the works and will be "coming soon". It certainly doesn't hurt their cause that those feeble reassurances are precisely the sort of thing the majority of the remaining Robotech fans want to hear. What they DON'T want to hear is Tommy confessing that they've spent the three years since Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles came out on DVD endlessly congratulating each other on a job well done, tossing cards into a hat, and debating which Robotech fan project to kill with a cease and desist notice next.

Actually, he did design that himself. Personally, I thought it was in keeping with the original Mospeada design. Too bad it wasn't used in any animation.

buccanee.jpg

GammaFighterWP.gif

Really... saying that Tommy's VF-13 Gamma fighter is "in keeping with" the original Mospeada designs might be a little too kind. Calling it "extremely derivative" might be a bit more accurate. Now, whether or not that's actually a point in its favor depends largely on whether or not you think Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles should have at least tried to do something new and original with the story instead of wallowing in the original Mospeada like an unusually malodorous quadriplegic pig in a mud puddle. Being firmly in the former camp, I'm quite fine with it not being animated... after all, there's precious little originality in what is basically a transformation capable, minimal redesign of Mospeada's AF-03 Combat.

Macrossworld has intelligent discussion, real moderators, good board software, and a large number of users so this thread intentionally or unintentionally becomes the sanest evaluation of Robotech current events. This is a general forum not focused exclusively on otaku culture, but a lot of its content is related and makes it a good place to discuss something like the international Macross license also known as Robotech.

So I heard Tatsunoko (Takara) may still own the copyrights of the designs of Mospeada and Southern Cross. I haven't listened to the whole podcast yet. College tends to reduce the time I have available to listen to Tommy Yune and somebody speaking Spanish for 2-3 hours. I heard on RDF-HQ though, that when they make new animation they need Tatsunoko's permission. It's something that I've never seen confirmed before. I'm going to try to listen to it tonight and see if I can hear the part rtsurfer was talking about.

Big West owns all of Southern Cross license, I believe.

Really... saying that Tommy's VF-13 Gamma fighter is "in keeping with" the original Mospeada designs might be a little too kind. Calling it "extremely derivative" might be a bit more accurate. Now, whether or not that's actually a point in its favor depends largely on whether or not you think Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles should have at least tried to do something new and original with the story instead of wallowing in the original Mospeada like an unusually malodorous quadriplegic pig in a mud puddle. Being firmly in the former camp, I'm quite fine with it not being animated... after all, there's precious little originality in what is basically a transformation capable, minimal redesign of Mospeada's AF-03 Combat.

Just looking at the picture, I'd say it's less of a transforming AF-03 and more of a VF-4 cobbled together out of Legioss parts.

I'm miss you such a Troublesome that URL Diary is Japanese language.

<A HREF="http://wildcats.pupui.jp/mt/archives/2010/08/post_272.html">Yacolog Macross DYRL</A>

The film of theirs of "DYRL" screen-played in "Roppongi in Tokyo" was the film quality that did not endure watching full of scratches.

Mr.Yoshimasa Onishi, the president of "Bigwest advertisement" is negligent in international sales of Japan origin "other Macross series" and that revised or re-making verision "Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross" though it becomes a very irritating topic.

Moreover, they do not try to set an ex-aggerated area to cross-over after it negotiates with "Harmony gold USA.",and the difference each other is admitted, and to attempt the customer expansion.

Their attitude is like "a Japanese bigotry SAMURAI in previous 200 years or more" at the time of period "SAKOKU" (locked country).

<A HREF="http://blog.livedoor.jp/yui1107/">Yuina's ROBOTECH trademark and Mergers and Acquisitions debete blog in the livedoor account</A>

Thus I've established "The Robotech Chronicles"

<A HREF="http://w.livedoor.jp/harmony-gold_japan/">Robotech Chronicles</A>

I used the domain name and the title of "harmony-gold_japan,more "Robotech Chronicles" to dare to warning of their correspondence to a negligentMacross trademark rights.

Edited by yui1107

I'm miss you such a Troublesome that URL Diary is Japanese language.

<A HREF="http://wildcats.pupui.jp/mt/archives/2010/08/post_272.html">Yacolog Macross DYRL</A>

The film of theirs of "DYRL" screen-played in "Roppongi in Tokyo" was the film quality that did not endure watching full of scratches.

Mr.Yoshimasa Onishi, the president of "Bigwest advertisement" is negligent in international sales of Japan origin "other Macross series" and that revised or re-making verision "Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross" though it becomes a very irritating topic.

Moreover, they do not try to set an ex-aggerated area to cross-over after it negotiates with "Harmony gold USA.",and the difference each other is admitted, and to attempt the customer expansion.

Their attitude is like "a Japanese bigotry SAMURAI in previous 200 years or more" at the time of period "SAKOKU" (locked country).

<A HREF="http://blog.livedoor.jp/yui1107/">Yuina's ROBOTECH trademark and Mergers and Acquisitions debete blog in the livedoor account</A>

I used the domain name and the title of "harmony-gold_japan,more "Robotech Chronicles" to dare to warning of their correspondence to a negligentMacross trademark rights.

what?!

Okay... well, I guess that answers my question as to whether or not you were the clueless berk who posted all those unintelligible threads and broken links all over robotech.com in an effort to get attention. I honestly can't decide whether to label this as spam or trolling. Maybe both.

In point of fact, you are completely wrong to accuse Big West of being negligent in attempting to export other Macross series. The truth of the matter is that Harmony Gold USA is preventing them from doing so by using a trademark they applied for after they accidentally started the series of lawsuits between Big West Advertising and Tatsunoko Productions. Harmony Gold USA is actively preventing companies in America from importing the other Macross series.

Okay, yeah... you're implying that they're negligent for not remaking Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, a show so awful it even failed in Japan and was canceled before it could be finished. That's troll talk right there. You're saying they're negligent for not wasting their money remaking a show that the audiences hated back when it was new. Even Robotech fans hate the Robotech adaptation of Southern Cross. That they haven't tried remaking it is a sign of good business sense.:rolleyes:

http://w.livedoor.jp...ony-gold_japan/

No, that their attitude is like sakoku-style bigotry is based on a fundamentally false assumption. Harmony Gold USA is stopping Macross from being exported, not Big West Advertising. Harmony Gold USA wanted to establish a business relationship with Big West that was nothing less than extortion. Big West was right to say no.

Okay, this makes it sound like you think you can intimidate Big West Advertising into doing what you want by fraudulently pretending to be associated with Harmony Gold USA. That crosses the line from just being a crazy fan to possibly getting you in trouble with the law.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Yui is reposting her reply to me, on RDF-HQ, here and at Robotech.com for some reason. Sorry about that.

My original post:

If I understand correctly, you want Robotech fans in Japan to get Big West to give Harmony Gold Macross licenses. So you are "Harmony Gold Japan". I assume you don't really think you're the Japanese sibsidiary of Harmony Gold.

Do you understand that you must convince Big West that they must sell internationally or lose a significant amount of money and that Big West currently doesn't believe the international market has that much value? What are you going to tell them?

Yui, telling Big West they're being bad people are not going to convince them of anything. You'd have better luck going down to their offices and singing to them. Get a guitar and sing songs with all your spiritia until they give in. Today you will move that mountain!

Yui is reposting her reply to me, on RDF-HQ, here and at Robotech.com for some reason. Sorry about that.

Oh... well, that goes a long way toward explaining why what Yui was saying didn't make a lick of sense. It was the lack of context from that discussion on RDF-HQ, plus an apparent language barrier, that rendered what Yui was trying to say almost unintelligible. Just given what I've read on the blog link she posted, it looks like she's one of those people who suffers from the common Robotech fan ailment of "Did-not-do-research-itis" and leapt quite energetically to a series of entirely incorrect conclusions regarding Big West's reasons for not distributing the rest of Macross outside Japan and, apparently, their complete lack of interest in remaking or finishing Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross.

Y'know... every now and again I hear that most Robotech fans out there are actually decent people who're just overly nostalgic. I would really like to believe that that's actually true... but almost all the Robotech fans I meet seem to be ignorant, crazy, or both. Of late, usually both.

Yui, telling Big West they're being bad people are not going to convince them of anything. You'd have better luck going down to their offices and singing to them. Get a guitar and sing songs with all your spiritia until they give in. Today you will move that mountain!

Huh... y'know, I wonder how Japanese law defines concepts like "torture" and "cruel and unusual punishment". It wouldn't be a stretch to classify having someone sing Reba West-as-Minmei's songs at you for hours at a go as either. :rolleyes:

My original post:

That's actually pretty funny...Why is it that RT fans seem to be the only ones who think things like this, that Macross, with all the new production, and things that are coming forward, that they need to cut their gains and relinquish it to a mismanaged franchise that has been on a proverbial respirator for longer than I care to think right now? I mean, is there really that much wishful thinking, that it crosses the line of absurdity into some bizarre idea that HG and its fans are entitled to all of Macross? Just some wierd stuff.

I've alrady reoly post to Legioss at the RDF HQ communicatiion board's "Robotech Fan Projects" category!

ビッグウエストは自分のところでリマスターする能力を持っていませんが、バンダイビジュアルが製作したリマスターDVDのデータを使って、高密度の、傷のないDYRLの上映を観客に提供することが出来るのは、常識のある人々なら思いつくところでした。

それなのに、彼らは怠慢で、傷だらけのフィルムを、東京の六本木のファンの為の上映会で使いました。

If it was people who had common sense, it was hit on to be able to offer the spectator screening DYRL without a high density wound by using "the data of remastered DVD whom "the Bandai visual had produced" though the BIG-WEST, they have "No-Remastering Ability" for ourself.

They used a film that was negligent, full of scratches in the screening association for the fan of Roppongi in Tokyo yet.

私は、ビッグウエストが、彼等の商標権保持作品に対する態度を改善してもらいたくて、また、ハーモニーゴールドとビッグウエストが、和解調停の為に何もしないのを嘆いて、敢えてハーモニー・ゴールド・ジャパンという挑戦的なブログタイトルと、「ロボテック・クロニクル」という「マクロス・クロニクル」と「シャドウ・クロニクル」をクロス・オーバーさせた名前のウィキペデイアを、非商業用途で創刊しました。

As for me, The Big West wanted the attitude toward their trademark rights anime film's maintenance work to improve, and Harmony Gold and Big West grieved over what nothing did for The Settlement Mediation again, and I launched weekly renewal Wikipedia and your own fanart contributation URL page,the name that let I crossed and exceed a defiant blog title called "The Harmony Gold Japan" and the cross-over title "The Robotech Chronicle" named after "Macross Chronicle" and "The Shadow Chronicle"called daringly by the non-commerce use.

Edited by yui1107

But...but...no one mentioned the Gamma Fighter...they were talking about the Invid Overlord...

ビッグウエストは自分のところでリマスターする能力を持っていませんが、バンダイビジュアルが製作したリマスターDVDのデータを使って、高密度の、傷のないDYRLの上映を観客に提供することが出来るのは、常識のある人々なら思いつくところでした。

それなのに、彼らは怠慢で、傷だらけのフィルムを、東京の六本木のファンの為の上映会で使いました。

バンダイビジュアルは確かに「HDリマスター」というDVDを出してはいますが、いかなる複製方法を利用したのかは不明。もしかすると、実際のリマスターではなく、あるデータにフィルターをかけたりデジタル修正を行ったりしただけなのではないかと個人的に思うのですが。いずれにしろ、たかが一回かぎりのための上映用の新たな35mmプリントをわざわざ作ることは考えられないですから、80年代のプリントを使って上映したのではないかと思います。

ちなみに、yui1107さんは観に行かれましたか?

-------

Brief translation:

Yui1107 believes that Bandai Visual are lazy because even though they released an "HD Remaster" version of DYRL on DVD, the version of the movie they showed in Roppongi a few months back was a worn out film from the 80s, with scratches everywhere.

I replied that we do not know what methods Bandai Visual used to produce their "remaster" or even if they actually went back to the master at all, but I'm sure they would not produce a pristine 35mm print just for one night's screening.

For those interested, here is the thread on the DYRL Roppongi showing, which Save, Tenjin-san, Tochiro and I attended (and thoroughly enjoyed, I might add):

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33214&st=0&p=854505&hl=ropongi&fromsearch=1entry854505

Edited by Renato

Even Robotech fans hate the Robotech adaptation of Southern Cross. That they haven't tried remaking it is a sign of good business sense

I agree with to Seto Kaiba.

I surely recognize that the adaptation of the Robotech has "the part which is not good".

I understand the meaning of the slaughter of "Carl F. Macek" ,too.

But, across such an insufficient adaptation, there is their works has value in the expanse of "The expansion of the view of the world" at the Robotech world.

You should make the stage "the colonization planet" according to the original "not south america in the earth " if you remake "the Super Dimention Calvary Southern Cross".

Edited by yui1107

ちなみに、yui1107さんは観に行かれましたか?

私は、働く女性で、沖縄から、主夫の夫を残して、仕事の為に埼玉県に単身赴任しています。

埼玉は東京の隣の県ですから、もちろん行きました。

でも、ヤコログさんが日記で書いた、サンライズの「イデオンの夜」には行っていません。

イデオンの作品自体の高い作家性は評価していますが、2つのうち、どちらか1つを選ぶならDYRLでした。

それなのに高い観覧料金と交通費を払って、傷のあるフィルムを与えられては、失望します。

I'm working women, and I leave "my husband who is housekeeping in house" from Okinawa and take up corporate officer job in Saitama leaving my family behind for work.

Because Saitama was a prefecture next to Tokyo, of course I went.

But I do not go at "the night of the Ideon" of the sunrise which Yacolog wrote with a diary.

The high writer characteristics of work in itself of the Ideon evaluated it, but, among two, it was DYRL if it chose one either.

However, I am disappointed when I pay high view rate and transportation expenses and am given the film with the wound.

Now I wrote List of companies in Robotech/Macross World by using MY exclusive livedoor ID.

Anyone who you know "Sinsei indutries" or "General Galaxy' company's logomark design images ?

Edited by yui1107

私は、働く女性で、沖縄から、主夫の夫を残して、仕事の為に埼玉県に単身赴任しています。

埼玉は東京の隣の県ですから、もちろん行きました。

でも、ヤコログさんが日記で書いた、サンライズの「イデオンの夜」には行っていません。

イデオンの作品自体の高い作家性は評価していますが、2つのうち、どちらか1つを選ぶならDYRLでした。

それなのに高い観覧料金と交通費を払って、傷のあるフィルムを与えられては、失望します。

I'm working women, and I leave "my husband who is housekeeping in house" from Okinawa and take up corporate officer job in Saitama leaving my family behind for work.

Because Saitama was a prefecture next to Tokyo, of course I went.

But I do not go at "the night of the Ideon" of the sunrise which Yacolog wrote with a diary.

The high writer characteristics of work in itself of the Ideon evaluated it, but, among two, it was DYRL if it chose one either.

However, I am disappointed when I pay high view rate and transportation expenses and am given the film with the wound.

Now I wrote List of companies in Robotech World by using MY exclusive livedoor ID.

なるほどです。私も行きました。ガッカリした気持ちはよく分かります、実は私ももちろんもっと綺麗な映像で見たかったのですが、それでもとても楽しめました。私の場合は都内ですから交通費などはそこまでは気にしませんでしたけど。

残念ですが、「スターウォーズ」のように、20年ぶりの一般公開のためのリマスター版はちょっと無理がある話だと思います。海外上映とかも実現してほしかったのですが、ビックウエストがやりたくてもハーモニーゴールドは邪魔をしているのは避けられない事実です。現実的に考えれば、2社の間は多分交渉しようがないです。少なくても当分そうだと思います。

Trans (of my own post):

I see. I was also there. I know you feel disappointed, of course I too would have liked to have seen it with a clear picture, but I enjoyed myself anyway. Though in my case I was in Tokyo anyway, so I didn't really think much of things like transport costs.

Unfortunately this can never be like Star Wars which can be remastered and re-released generally for the 20th anniversary. I wish that DYRL had gotten officially shown outside Japan, but even if BigWest wanted to do that, the truth is that HG is in the way, and it is unrealistic to think that the two companies can ever negotiate and reach an agreement. Not soon anyway.

Edited by Renato

This is how I see it: HG tried to nab anything and everything that was Macross because they felt they were entitled to it but that was proven wrong because of the litigation. Big West made a play to nab the international rights to SDF Macross which would've made Robotech null and void. They failed because those contracts are set in stone. Tatsunoko Pro has international rights to the SDF Macross and by proxy Harmony Gold.

No one is disputing that BW has control of character designs, mecha designs, and overall story concept but I think the real prize was international distribution of the original show.

Edited by terry the lone wolf