Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread III *Read 1st Post*

azrael

Made a little picture for comparison :)

Destroid Cheyenne and Destroid Cheyenne II

So I'm guessing the wheels proved impractical to mass produce (either in terms of cost or implementation) for SW1 but with advances in technology they were able to revisit them. (...Or maybe they'd just been watching a lot of Code Geass :lol: )

Edited by Raptor One

BSG -> Battle Suit Gundam? :huh:

Tomahawk II is from Macross II right?

BSG = Battlestar Galactica

Maybe we can called it "Mini Macross Cannon" since the BFG itself is called Heavy Quantum Reaction Cannon.

Hmm, does this mean the VF-25s will get a new beam weapon? :huh:

Was'nt there some pic posted here in MW about early sketches of the VF-25 with Armored Pack AND carrying a BFG as long as the one the VF-27?

I cant remeber though who posted it. :(

So I'm guessing the wheels proved impractical to mass produce (either in terms of cost or implementation) for SW1 but with advances in technology they were able to revisit them. (...Or maybe they'd just been watching a lot of Code Geass :lol: )

Macross Zero predates Code Geass, so they likely got the idea of wheeled mecha from somewhere else. Perhaps Dream Pod 9's Heavy Gear. I think the wheels were actually a method to help make the Destroids practical again. The original destroids seemed slow and stationary, not much good unless they appeared in large numbers. It was likely more practical to simply build more valkyries. I think the idea of a more maneuverable Destroid on wheels didn't strike the creators until Macross Zero, hence why there were no destroids in Macross Plus or Macross 7. We didn't see such machines until much later in the franchise.

I suppose your theory would work as an in-universe explanation.

Macross Zero predates Code Geass, so they likely got the idea of wheeled mecha from somewhere else. Perhaps Dream Pod 9's Heavy Gear. I think the wheels were actually a method to help make the Destroids practical again. The original destroids seemed slow and stationary, not much good unless they appeared in large numbers. It was likely more practical to simply build more valkyries. I think the idea of a more maneuverable Destroid on wheels didn't strike the creators until Macross Zero, hence why there were no destroids in Macross Plus or Macross 7. We didn't see such machines until much later in the franchise.

I suppose your theory would work as an in-universe explanation.

Yea I meant it for an in-universe explanation (minus the Code Geass). It's the same way I try to explain to myself the various design elements that made it from the VF-0 into some of the later Valks but not into the VF-1 and the other early valks.

I'm gonna have to go with Heavy Gear, like Mr. March already mentioned, since it's just damn cool :)

And I also hope the VF-25's will be getting beam weaponry of some kind.

Something like this maybe?

post-9073-1218050327_thumb.jpg

Though I guess this is just a sketch of what became the armored pack,

the inclusion of the BFG gunpod would round it off nicely ^_^

One can hope, right? ;)

I'm gonna have to go with Heavy Gear, like Mr. March already mentioned, since it's just damn cool :)

I'd have to agree, but not just because Heavy Gear is cool :)

Heavy Gear became popular around the post Macross Plus/Macross 7 era of the mid 1990's, so it would be timed quite well to influence next generation Macross productions in the new millennium. The Heavy Gear mechanical design was also quite innovative and different from the norm, with a strong pervasive style throughout the franchise. The Japanese are also enthusiastic consumers of foreign popular culture, so I find it quite possible Heavy Gear may have been an influence. I can see more than a few hints of Heavy Gear in the Cheyenne besides the wheels. Wheeled mecha in older Japanese anime like Votoms or Patlabor doesn't seem to be an influence in the case of the Cheyenne.

I'd have to agree, but not just because Heavy Gear is cool :)

Heavy Gear became popular around the post Macross Plus/Macross 7 era of the mid 1990's, so it would be timed quite well to influence next generation Macross productions in the new millennium. The Heavy Gear mechanical design was also quite innovative and different from the norm, with a strong pervasive style throughout the franchise. The Japanese are also enthusiastic consumers of foreign popular culture, so I find it quite possible Heavy Gear may have been an influence. I can see more than a few hints of Heavy Gear in the Cheyenne besides the wheels. Wheeled mecha in older Japanese anime like Votoms or Patlabor doesn't seem to be an influence in the case of the Cheyenne.

True, if that were the influences then why did we not see any in Mac Plus or Mac 7? Votoms is a plausible argument for the destroid designs in Mac II, however.

And yes the Tomahawk II is from Macross II.

One can hope, right? ;)

Very likely, since it has been proved that Vajra no longer respond to anti-ECA rounds... So beam guns is the way to go now...

I wonder what happened to the beam module of the VF-17? I thought it was also in the VF-171, but it doesn't seem to be the case... :huh:

One can hope, right? ;)

WOW!!! I had no idea that conceptual BFG of the VF-25 was that huge. :ph34r: It even looks a lot bigger than the VF-27's Beam Gun. :ph34r:

Very likely, since it has been proved that Vajra no longer respond to anti-ECA rounds... So beam guns is the way to go now...

I wonder what happened to the beam module of the VF-17? I thought it was also in the VF-171, but it doesn't seem to be the case... :huh:

More to the point whatever happened to that Heavy Weapons Module developed for the YF-19 and seen in Macross Plus? :blink: You know the one that blew a Monster Mk. II to smithereens with just one shot. :ph34r:

More to the point whatever happened to that Heavy Weapons Module developed for the YF-19 and seen in Macross Plus? :blink: You know the one that blew a Monster Mk. II to smithereens with just one shot. :ph34r:

Development on that was canceled as funds were reallocated to the development of speaker pod launchers and sound boosters. :ph34r:

Actually, didn't Alto pick up an old Zentraedi plasma rifle in episode 4? I've been wondering if they would ever use that again.

Edited by d3v

I agree with you all, the VFs must be equipped with beam gun pod now. Since anti -ECA ammunition didn't work anymore but PPB knife works like a charm, I wonder if they could replace the ammo for the knife. it would be fun to see some gunpod spitting PPB knifes at Vajra :lol:

One more thing, the Vajra adaptation seems to be limited to the red lobster while the squid still getting fried by nukes, so there's still hope for hte VF-171 pilots to start squid hunting.

Also a question about Vajra biomechanism, how can they produce missile/ammunition internally in unlimited number?

Future factory will consist of Vajras lining up crapping micro missiles and ammo with nearly 99.99% efficiency. :ph34r:

Also a question about Vajra biomechanism, how can they produce missile/ammunition internally in unlimited number?

I think it was already discussed that they grow them and they can't produce them continually. They need some time to grow some more again after exhausting their reserves... :huh:

I think it was already discussed that they grow them and they can't produce them continually. They need some time to grow some more again after exhausting their reserves... :huh:

Talking about integrated weapon production facility :rolleyes: Take that technology into full armored battroid, and Apocalypse will have a new name. B)) .

Is this Battle 25 mixed in with some footage from what looks like could be the new OP.

Source: 4chan

Was MacrossWorld scooped by 4chan? The horror!

Good catch, that does look like an NMC in Storm Attacker mode. I think there is hope yet for seeing Battle 25 in action. Though I had hope, but I think it may be limited to the final battle.

Good catch, that does look like an NMC in Storm Attacker mode. I think there is hope yet for seeing Battle 25 in action. Though I had hope, but I think it may be limited to the final battle.

I initially thought that was Macross Quarter, but now I see it doesn't have shoulder towers. Also, now that I look at that picture better, there is Macross Quarter: its rifle is visible over the thigh of Battle 25.

FV

Edited by Final Vegeta

I initially thought that was Macross Quarter, but now I see it doesn't have shoulder towers. Also, now that I look at that picture better, there is Macross Quarter: it's rifle is visible over the thigh of Battle 25.

FV

Wow, so Clash of the Titans coming soon I see :blink:

I initially thought that was Macross Quarter, but now I see it doesn't have shoulder towers. Also, now that I look at that picture better, there is Macross Quarter: it's rifle is visible over the thigh of Battle 25.

FV

Need a better scan of that picture

Seeing the new op I can see the various differences in the New Macross Class carriers.

Macross 1 NMCs and Battle 7 is more on the standard carrier role design.

Macross 5's NMC carriers are more on Zentradi tech and aesthetics.

Macross 13's Battle 13 is probably the most well armored NMC their is.

Macross Frontier's Battle 25 have more point defenses than the rest of the class.

One can hope, right? ;)

What is the source of that image?

I was watching Gundam 00 and it has a solar powered mobile suit called Enact and I was wondering if that would be possible with variable fighters, I can see it powering the VF, but it would probably need a turbine-reactor engine for propulsion. Any thoughts?

I was watching Gundam 00 and it has a solar powered mobile suit called Enact and I was wondering if that would be possible with variable fighters, I can see it powering the VF, but it would probably need a turbine-reactor engine for propulsion. Any thoughts?

The solar power wouldn't do for propulsion you are right. And since Nuclear propulsion is so efficient anyway why not let it power you at the same time. However having solar panels or sails that can be deployed in emergencies when it needs power (like saw if the legs are blown off) is a possibility.

Macross Frontier's Battle 25 have more point defenses than the rest of the class.

How many do they usually come with? Episode 18 mentions there being no less than 30 of them in the front. Though scene seemed to imply the possibility they were maybe putting in additional ones? Also, seemed to me like they were preparing a stage of sorts for Ranka, which looked very much like certain legendary one from DYRL B))