"beetle queen" or "little queen"- words in episode

Misa

when it is about to end, the lady with blue hair said a sentence. i have doubt on one word

"beetle queen"? or "little queen"?

some of my friends say it is "little" . But i really hear "Beetle"

oh what's the problem :wacko:

when it is about to end, the lady with blue hair said a sentence. i have doubt on one word

"beetle queen"? or "little queen"?

some of my friends say it is "little" . But i really hear "Beetle"

oh what's the problem :wacko:

She says ri to ru, thus "little". It's all in the first syllable which is the unmistakable japanese sound they use as subistute for both R and L.

She says ri to ru, thus "little". It's all in the first syllable which is the unmistakable japanese sound they use as subistute for both R and L.

but i hear "B", bi-to ru, not "R/L" ri to ru.

oh :wacko:

Edited by Misa

Yeah, but I distinctly hear a "B" too, no matter how many times I listen and how much more sense "little" makes.

Hmmm. I definitely heard "little queen," but my speakers aren't all that good.

Now, if Grace had said, "Lobster Queen," then we might've had something...

Beetle = 甲虫 (Kouchuu). It also doesn't fall under the catagory of "cool words to borrow from another language". Why? Girls, especially young girls do the majority of that. Beetles are generally something that have too great an ick factor for those girls to want to talk about, let alone talk about daily, let alone with a foreign, yet cool sounding foreign word.

Little (リトル) on the other hand, does fall under that catagory.

The el quicko machine translation test also confirms things: リトル comes out as little. ビトル comes out as Bitol.

Try for yourself here: http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/

*Random observations: though Japanese is oft romanized as r and sometimes l, the actual consonant sound (which is ALWAYS said in combination with a vowel sound, never by itself) is somewhere inbetween, but also different. Japanese also focuses on the vowels, whereas English focuses on the consonants. Basically, if you walk into a coffeeshop in an English country and say k-f, you'll get a cup, but in Japan you have to say oh-ee to get the same. Therefore, what they're saying is definitely not Victor (ee-u-ah for victor (ビクター) vs. ee-oh-u from what is actually said.)

Edited by sketchley

Beetles are generally something that have too great an ick factor for those girls to want to talk about,

I just now noticed that there is a difference between the Beatles and the Beetles... Beat Beat...Beat - Beatles as in they got a great beat? Wow. Dag. How could I have missed that?

All the same, I never liked the Beatles, and whenever anyone mentioned them I keep thinking "Hey hey we're the Monkeys! People say we monkey around!".... even though....Beatles...and the Monkeys are totally different... :)

I also heard little, but I can see how you might think Beetle.

VFTF1

I heared little aswell,

But I can understand why you'd think she said beetle, I'm sure you could compare the Vajra to beetles (heck they do look like a beetle race if you think about it) and the mind easly trasnforms the sounds it processes into that wich suits its pattern .... having said that I realis that the same goes for the people who think it's "Little queen" ^^

I just now noticed that there is a difference between the Beatles and the Beetles... Beat Beat...Beat - Beatles as in they got a great beat? Wow. Dag. How could I have missed that?

All the same, I never liked the Beatles, and whenever anyone mentioned them I keep thinking "Hey hey we're the Monkeys! People say we monkey around!".... even though....Beatles...and the Monkeys are totally different... :)

I also heard little, but I can see how you might think Beetle.

VFTF1

You don't like the Beatles because they remind you of some group that ripped them off? Dude, that's like saying you can't watch Macross because it reminds you of Space Gandam V!

You don't like the Beatles because they remind you of some group that ripped them off?

No no. I like the Monkeys. I don't like the Beatles because they aren't as cool as the group that ripped them off :)

VFTF1

Sounds like"Bitoru", but not "victor/bikuta". Second word doesn't sound like "queen/kuiin", sounds more like "kuido" or "kuinto".

She says:

まさかこの娘がりとる・クイーンとは、

Ma sa ka ko no mu su me ga ri to ru ku i i n to wa.

The to that you hear at the end is just a particle that comes after the word queen, and is not part of it.

And saying again, Japanese R's do not sound much like english ones. It's a distinct japanese sound you produce by lightly tapping the palate with your tongue. Doing so harder will produce a D-sound. To me there is no question here to what is being said.

I am quite aware of the distinct sound that Japanese Rs make. I've had many debates with native-English speakers as to why they shouldn't take the shortcut of pronouncing the Japanese R as the English "L": Ramen = Lamen, Ranma = Lanma, Kawamori = Kawamoli. While it can sound like an "L" depending on the speaker, it often to me sounds more like first part of a rolling R from other languages.

When I originally listened to it it did sound like "ritoru quiin" to me. Upon listening to it over and over, I developed some doubt. The "to wa" threw me off on the second part. I agree that the second word is "quiin/queen".

I am quite aware of the distinct sound that Japanese Rs make. I've had many debates with native-English speakers as to why they shouldn't take the shortcut of pronouncing the Japanese R as the English "L": Ramen = Lamen, Ranma = Lanma, Kawamori = Kawamoli. While it can sound like an "L" depending on the speaker, it often to me sounds more like first part of a rolling R from other languages.

Ok, cool. :) That second part wasn't really specifically aimed towards you anyway, just saying ^_^

Sounds like"Bitoru", but not "victor/bikuta". Second word doesn't sound like "queen/kuiin", sounds more like "kuido" or "kuinto".

LOL! ビトル食いど! (Loose translation "eat bitol")

Note: not poking fun at Sumdumgai. Just noticing and noting something else.

to whispo: In fact, i have not related the Beelte to vajyra. I just definitedly hear it as B... ×_×

to sumdumgai: I know in Japanese R is same with L. But in this case, it is the difference between B and L. Isn't is in totally differet sound? My speaker is good and clear. I just wonder why some friends believe it L.

Is there any ET disrupting me?

to sketchley: "Japanese also focuses on the vowels, whereas English focuses on the consonants." this is really a helpful tips when listening to the sound with V.

but, how about B? would it possible for a Japaneses to use the pronunciation of "B" to emphasize a word like L in "little "?

but, how about B? would it possible for a Japaneses to use the pronunciation of "B" to emphasize a word like L in "little "?

http://www.macross.co.jp/bbs/entry.cgi?mod...ree&no=3146

Repent

2008/07/13(Sun) 10:42 [ No.3151 ]

たしか「ビートル」です

今録画で確認した

「ビートル クイーン」です

ベイソウ・セイケン

2008/07/14(Mon) 03:14 [ No.3166 ]

>Repentさん

TBSの文字放送では地デジでもワンセグでも「リトルクイーン」となっていますが、他の局だと「ビートルクイーン」になっているということですか?

= =

Edited by kresphy