DRYL remastered DVD release

the_foul_fowl

Not sure if it has been posted, but from Mainichi:

http://mainichi.jp/enta/mantan/news/200711...200040000c.html

Rough translation:

DYRL remastered DVD to be released 21 Dec, 10290 yen. Headed by Kawamori-san, the film will be completely digitally remastered.

The release will also include a 576 page book containing storyboards and background notes, as well as a disc containing previews, commercials, and images from the famicom and sega saturn games.

Not sure if it has been posted, but from Mainichi:

http://mainichi.jp/enta/mantan/news/200711...200040000c.html

Rough translation:

DYRL remastered DVD to be released 21 Dec, 10290 yen. Headed by Kawamori-san, the film will be completely digitally remastered.

The release will also include a 576 page book containing storyboards and background notes, as well as a disc containing previews, commercials, and images from the famicom and sega saturn games.

Hmm any idea where I might be able to get my paws on these? Been looking for a good clean copy of DYRL.

Thanks!

Odd's are no.

Cool to hear about this. I was watching my coy the other night and came to realize just how much dust was in each frame. They just didn't care back then. I guess Richard Williams wasn't a staff member. ^_^

If that page count is to be believed, it almost sounds like each coy comes with The Gold Book.

Hopefully they'll include the original if they mess with the sound.

Just make every Robotech fan turn into Macross fan and boycot HG, and soon there is no HG... One can dream always... Bastards... :angry:

I wonder what's the situation in Europe actually. Is HG a problem, dunno. Might be just that there isn't much market for Macross. DYRL is kind of available in many countries, but they tend to be bad dubs etc.

You mean Big West, right? Because I'm about to ^_^

Or can Darth Graham do something about this? Hmm...

Nope, I meant Bandai Visual. Since they release the DVD's in Japan, and are a huge freakin' monster company, they'd be our best bet for an R1 release. Sure it'd be expensive, but it would also be well worth it.

http://bandaivisual.us/

I just pre-ordered on CD Japan. May God (or Buddha, or Zeus or Boccob the Uncaring) and the Hoary Froating Head have mercy on my wallet. a 500-page booklet is not a booklet -- that's a novel. I couldn't resist! :D Besides, I'm really liking the cover better than the original Bandai Emotion DVD.

I just pre-ordered on CD Japan. May God (or Buddha, or Zeus or Boccob the Uncaring) and the Hoary Froating Head have mercy on my wallet. a 500-page booklet is not a booklet -- that's a novel. I couldn't resist! :D Besides, I'm really liking the cover better than the original Bandai Emotion DVD.

You and me both brother!! ^_^

I was a bit disappointed by the placeholder art considering the re-issue of the movie a few years ago had much better Mikimoto art...

http://product.bandaivisual.co.jp/web_serv...em_no=BCBA-3170

Looks like the cover has been updated for the 2 disc version. And so far I definately like this better.

Hmm, it said on cdjapan that it's 3 discs. Might be the book included.

Wait, so this thing actually DOES contain a 500+ page book???

Based on the weight it sure looks so.

I wonder what kind of box set the final release will actually be. In any case, this is the DYRL fan's dream coming true. Minus subs though.

Edited by Sdf-1

Hmm, it said on cdjapan that it's 3 discs. Might be the book included.

Based on the weight it sure looks so.

I wonder what kind of box set the final release will actually be. In any case, this is the DYRL fan's dream coming true. Minus subs though.

Unless I'm reading it wrong on the Bandai site, does it say that the third extras disc is only 2 minutes, 36 seconds in legnth? :wacko:

Well, that's it. I couldn't resist, I had to preorder. I really wish this release would include subtitles, but I've seen the movie enough in my lifetime to fully comprehend every scene by now. :)

Pray Hurin get's a copy so he can re-time his subs from the "Perfect Edition" release and release them to us. Then we can create our own versions, with subs... :D

Edited by Zinjo

I've tried ordering videos from amazon japan with no luck-they won't ship due to regional issues.

Ok-stupid question

Is HD region coded? I thought BluRay was not, and was wondering if I'd be able to play this on a player I'd purchase locally(US)

S

I've tried ordering videos from amazon japan with no luck-they won't ship due to regional issues.

Ok-stupid question

Is HD region coded? I thought BluRay was not, and was wondering if I'd be able to play this on a player I'd purchase locally(US)

S

That's quite bizarre. I regularly order R2-J dvd's from Amazon-Japan and they ship promptly. Iirc, the only things that AmJ won't ship outside of Japan are toys/figures and PC/console games.

Unfortunately, this HD-remastered DYRL is still an R2J-dvd (eg. it's neither hd-dvd nor blu-ray), so you'll need a multi-region player to play it. Those cheap Philips 5960 and 5982 dvd-players are way too easy to turn into a multi-region dvd-players, however.

As such, HD-DVD discs/player does not currently have any region-coding, whereas Blu-Ray disc/players does. The US and Japan are both in Blu-Ray Region-A, however. That's only true for their respective HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. Regular dvd-playback are still region-coded. I'm not sure of the Toshiba HD-DVD players if they have a dvd region-hack, but I've read that the Samsung BD-players dvd-functionality can be made multi-region capable.

Edited by treatment

As such, HD-DVD discs/player does not currently have any region-coding, whereas Blu-Ray disc/players does. The US and Japan are both in Blu-Ray Region-A, however. That's only true for their respective HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. Regular dvd-playback are still region-coded. I'm not sure of the Toshiba HD-DVD players if they have a dvd region-hack, but I've read that the Samsung BD-players dvd-functionality can be made multi-region capable.

Whether HDDVD stays region free is debatable, since the studios are demanding they adopt some sort of region coding system and research is ongoing on the issue. However if such a system is implemented it will probably be similar to Bluray's regions.