DRYL remastered DVD release

the_foul_fowl

Pray Hurin get's a copy so he can re-time his subs from the "Perfect Edition" release and release them to us. Then we can create our own versions, with subs... :D

No kidding! Seriously, Hurin's subs for the FX release were so good that I almost debated not ordering this new HD version. It'll be difficult watching the new R2 without them. Hey Hurin, are you planning on timing subs for this release? ;)

No kidding! Seriously, Hurin's subs for the FX release were so good that I almost debated not ordering this new HD version. It'll be difficult watching the new R2 without them. Hey Hurin, are you planning on timing subs for this release? ;)

Wweren't there also subs for the original R2? If so, wouldn't those work??

At risk of getting blasted here, this pisses me off to no end. We can get the entire SDF series dubbed, but we can't get a 2 hour movie dubbed?! What kind of crap is that?!

Actually it was dubbed. Though I use the term "dub" loosely.

Though it will most likely never be dubbed again, see crasis' link for more info.

Super Spacefortress Macross

Video Tape

115 minutes, color, monoaural, English-dubbed

Includes explanatory note card

VTG-270

Victor Entertainment

1987 March 5

Y14300

Laser Disc

120 minutes, color, digital stereo, English-dubbed, Japanese-subtitled

TLL-2084

Victor Entertainment

1987 April 21 (discontinued)

Y8980

Y9249 (tax included)

Superdimensional Fortress Macross

Video Tape

115 minutes, color, English-dubbed

Best Film & Video

1995 July 11

$19.99 (suggested retail price)

(courtesy of the Macross Compendium)

I've tried ordering videos from amazon japan with no luck-they won't ship due to regional issues.

Ok-stupid question

Is HD region coded? I thought BluRay was not, and was wondering if I'd be able to play this on a player I'd purchase locally(US)

S

Wait-- the new reelease of DYRL is on a normal DVD instead of a HD DVD, right?

Wait-- the new reelease of DYRL is on a normal DVD instead of a HD DVD, right?

Yes, it's been remastered from HD stock (essentially the 35mm film). I would assume they are going to keep the remastered audio they did from the Perfect Edition a few years back.

I'd love to see a picture of the 1987 LD release box!

Edited by Zinjo

Yes, it's been remastered from HD stock (essentially the 35mm film). I would assume they are going to keep the remastered audio they did from the Perfect Edition a few years back.

I'd love to see a picture of the 1987 LD release box!

*whew* :) I was afraid there that I'd had to have bought a whole new player just to watch the disc!

Actually, after looking at the Bandai Visual site -- wow. The paper extras clock in at over 800 pages with one 24-page booklet, 272 pages of what I take to be production designs (設定資料集), and the 576-page behemoth book that includes not only storyboards from the movie, but from the original series (!) and the Sega Saturn DYRL game (!) AND, it'll include a mouse pad, a puzzle and a replica of an original theatrical ticket for the film, if I'm reading the site correctly.

Edited by Pat Payne

I am curious why so many people on Amazon JP are only giving this release one star. Can any one here translate?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E8%B6%85%E6%99%82...1476&sr=8-1

I am dying to get a really good copy, without any Macroblocking of any kind. I am hoping this release will be just that.

From what I can tell with my limited Japanese skills, the 1 ratings appear to be from people upset with Bandai Visual's business practices and pricing strategy in general (and with that, we in the States sympathize with you fully, minna-san! You get the torches ready, we'll send over the pitchforks! :p) . I they're not criticising the movie directly, just the format and distributor. Most seem to be speaking glowingly about DYRL itself, going on about how they saw the movie as children and have had a love for it ever since.

Some of them are also apparently pissed that it's not being released on their pet format of choice, either HDDVD or Blu-Ray, and are venting.

Actually, after looking at the Bandai Visual site -- wow. The paper extras clock in at over 800 pages with one 24-page booklet, 272 pages of what I take to be production designs (設定資料集), and the 576-page behemoth book that includes not only storyboards from the movie, but from the original series (!) and the Sega Saturn DYRL game (!) AND, it'll include a mouse pad, a puzzle and a replica of an original theatrical ticket for the film, if I'm reading the site correctly.

You serious?!? Anyone can confirm?

Is CDJapan a reliable place to order DVD's from? Do they provide tracking numbers? I want to order this movie but wasn't sure if I should from them or from Amazon JP.

Yeah, CDJAPAN is pretty reliable, in fact I have been ordering from CDjapan for almost 6 years and always I recieve my cd/dvd without any problem... very very good

Only Cdjapan is a expensive than Amazon, but always pack pretty well all orders (at least in my case).

I recommend you to use EMS express mail for shipping, the best way to ship from Japan w/tracking number, is a little more expensive than registered airmail but you can track the parcel all the time, specially if your are in a country with some dificult to import items... (I am in Mexico).

Amazon is really good and a cheaper than cdjapan, but I know they only use Fedex for international shipping, if I am wrong please someone let me know

Edited by Isamu test pilot

Not sure if it has been posted, but from Mainichi:

http://mainichi.jp/enta/mantan/news/200711...200040000c.html

Rough translation:

DYRL remastered DVD to be released 21 Dec, 10290 yen. Headed by Kawamori-san, the film will be completely digitally remastered.

The release will also include a 576 page book containing storyboards and background notes, as well as a disc containing previews, commercials, and images from the famicom and sega saturn games.

courtesy of amazon.co.jp

LE box == http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/images/...1660&sr=1-1

LE stuff == http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/images/...1660&sr=1-1

Edited by treatment

Yeah, CDJAPAN is pretty relaible, in fact I have benn ordering from CDjapan for almost 6 years and always I recieve my cd/dvd without any problem... very very good

Only Cdjapan is a expensive than Amazon, but always pack pretty well all orders (at least in my case).

I recommend you to use EMS express mail for shipping, the best way to ship from Japan w/tracking number, is a little more expensive than registered airmail but you can track the parcel all the time, specially if your are in a country with some dificult to import items... (I am in Mexico).

Amazon is really good and a cheaper than cdjapan, but I know they only use Fedex for international shipping, if I am wrong please someone let me know

To be fair, Isamu, there doesn't seem to be any cheap way of shipping merchandise to or from Japan. Looking at the DYRL set, which is let's call it circa 3-4 pounds, to ship it out of Japan using EMS, it costs $51.46 (gven the most recent exchange rate). That same package (or one of an equivalent weight), if it were being shipped the other way using the USPS, would cost $63 for the most rapid form of shipment, Global Express Guaranteed. Even the cheapest for of shipping out of Japan, Economy Air, is around $30. Going to Japan, you could get away with sending it First Class for around $27.50.

Edited by Pat Payne

To be fair, Isamu, there doesn't seem to be any cheap way of shipping merchandise to or from Japan. Looking at the DYRL set, which is let's call it circa 3-4 pounds, to ship it out of Japan using EMS, it costs $51.46 (gven the most recent exchange rate). That same package (or one of an equivalent weight), if it were being shipped the other way using the USPS, would cost $63 for the most rapid form of shipment, Global Express Guaranteed. Even the cheapest for of shipping out of Japan, Economy Air, is around $30. Going to Japan, you could get away with sending it First Class for around $27.50.

Don't think about the shipping costs, it makes the baby jebus cry :)

Don't think about the shipping costs, it makes the baby jebus cry :)

lol :)

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

According to Amazon Japan the whole Limited Edition boxset will run $82 shipped.

BTW. Are you guys sure I won't need a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Player for this?

Edited by UN Spacy

BTW. Are you guys sure I won't need a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Player for this?

It's not an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVD, so it's pretty certain. :mellow:

:lol:

It's a standard DVD (though Region 2). . . the only reason "HD" is being mention at all is because it was mastered from "HD source."

Best,

H

Preordered this beauty months ago, as soon as I knew about it.

I'm happy the more details we get about it, the better deal it is :D

Hope it doesn't take too long to get to me.... me wanna.... NOW!!!! :lol:

I'd love to have it before christmas, but that would be a tad on the optimistic side.

I did. Though Shawn's earlier post about them not shipping DVDs to other regions has me a bit worried...

Not sure where Shawn lives that would prevent Amazon.co.jp from shipping DVDs to him (Singapore, with their tight customs controls?), but I live in Canada and I've ordered DVDs from them for years without any problems. Usually, if there'll be a problem at their end with sending something to you, they'll alert you during the checkout process (e.g. they won't ship you toys or items from their resellers if you give them an address outside of Japan).