Transformers on DVD

areaseven

Transformers on DVD - October 16  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which exclusive version of the Transformers DVD are you getting?

• Wal-Mart (Single disc w/ bonus Prequel DVD)
    • Best Buy (2-Disc w/ bonus Optimus Prime/Cliffjumper Robot Heroes figurines)
    • Target (2-Disc w/ bonus transforming Optimus Prime DVD case + prequel comic)
    • Circuit City (w/ bonus exclusive content gift card)
    • Suncoast (2-Disc w/ steel DVD case)
    • Borders (2-Disc w/ "Making of" booklet)
    • Sears (2-Disc w/ free LED flashlight)
    • Blockbuster (Single disc w/ 128MB MP3 player)
    • Screw the exclusives! I just want the movie.
    • Me Grimlock still want stomp Michael Bay!

Just finished watching the HD. Damn, that was fun. Things that annoyed me before didn't annoy me as much. Probably because I was expecting it now. The Jazz death sequence still bugs me though as it was still without any real resonance. It just happens. Even the autobots seem a little nonchalant about it. There's other minor things, but this movie's just fun. I even kind of enjoyed the arrogantly stupid Sector Seven guy. :)

I too remember in the theater how this was all jumping around so quickly during the end of the movie, which I remember being a common gripe during the movie release too, but this time I was able to focus more on what was happening and take in all the robot detail/action. Factor it to an HD home viewing or to me just knowing what to expect. Regardless, I enjoyed this much more on the second viewing. B))

I just got back from Bestbuy tonight and I hung around the TF Video section trying to decide which DVD's I would get. I looked at the Prime/Cliffjumper DVD set, but decided to get the regular 2-disc special edition set instead. Those miniture robots are fugly! <_< Used the $5 I saved and got me a double cheeseburger instead ^_^

Just got done watching the HD-DVD...amazing detail! It is definitely easier to tell the robots apart at home rather than on the big screen. This was the 4th time for me to see it (2X at the movies, 1X at the IMAX), and for the first time I could see Ratchet's spinning saw blade on Devastator and the bullets from Starscream's gun on Ratchet & Ironhide.

I never had freezing, but I did have blocks/artifacting a few times. But that's because I was using the JVC player--it does that on some movies. But it'll play some discs that my Sony won't play at all. (I know of no DVD player that'll do everything perfectly)

Dialogue came in and out--fine in some scenes, way too quiet in others. That's a common DVD problem, but it's usually evenly problematic--this movie was fine early, but really bad later. As if different scenes were recorded/mastered at very different levels. Also, any cool "robot weapon sound effect" seemed almost gone. Now, I certainly don't expect bass/power out of the TV speakers--but I should at least hear SOMETHING when Blackout EMP's the entire base. I distinctly remember Blackout's weapon having a very cool sound--but it wasn't simply "not as intense" at home--it was just "gone".

Yeah I noticed a few of those problems as well. Megatrons dialogue in a few scenes was inaudible. When Megatron first awoke I swore that it sounded like Peter Cullen voicing the dialogue. When I saw the film in the theathre I thought Hugo Weavings voice was more noticable. In the dvd release, It seems I had a more difficult time picking his voice out.

Its pretty durable. Good thick plastic. Stands decently well on its own, since it has flip down feet that stays in place. I wouldn't get this set just for the transforming case & comic. But its pretty good extra if this is the only DVD version you'll get. Plus if you buy it with the Target Exclusive Deluxe Bumblebee 2 pack toy set ($15.99 this week instead of $19.99 normally), you also get a free $5 gift card, which also transfoms into Optimus Prime LOL. Its a pretty sweet deal.

Great, I bought Evolution of a Hero Bumblebee 2-pack last week (at full price) and got the Transforming case DVD set this evening. Oh well I could do without a $5.00 Target Gift card albeit it Transforms into Prime. :wacko:

Anyone notice any digital skipping? There were at least two instances where the movie froze for a second, and the screen went into one of those weird digital block modes. Got my $15 copy at Wally World.

Could be your DVD player. Mine does that all the time. If I want to watch DVD without interruption, I use my ps2.

For anyone considering buying the WalMart version, know this: The extra prequel 'cartoon' disc is NOT animated. Someone over at TFW2005 has it and said it's just scans of the prequel comic book with voice actors narrating it. I think I'll be quite happy with the Target set and reading the comic myself and also enjoying the full disc of special features that the WalMart dic doesn't come with.

Here's the review:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=154224

Thanks for the heads up!

Looks like it'll be just the single disc version for me.

Picked up the 2-disc set from the Nebraska Furniture Mart yesterday ($22.47 I think). The single disc set was selling there for like $12.47 or something like that and it was selling like hot cakes. Soon after I got there, they were rolling out the last few hundred copies they had to resupply their display. Wouldn't be surprised if they sold out today.

I hope this will sound good on my PC's allegedly THX-certified speakers. Just a week and a half to go.

Yesterday, my co-worker rented the DVD for his son's birthday party. And apparently, Brawl is still called "Devastator." Even on DVD, they couldn't get it right.
Apparently, the real reason is that Bay preferred Devastator over Brawl. Edited by Fit For Natalie

Dumb idea on bay considering people want to see the constructicons for the second movie.

Then again I dont see bay as the type who would take combiners into this film cause it wouldnt be "realastic" to him or alien enough.

I managed to watch the movie lastnight and was able to watch and hear more then what I got in theater. Really just little things and nit picking the editing between cameras, espically when Lennox is talkin to the secretary of defense and how that all got stupid.

also, noticed megatron saying "maggot", didnt hear that in theatre.

This was mentioned in the HD thread, and maybe here already, but man, this dvd is really lacking in good chapter stops. I have the HD version, but I'm assuming the dvd has the same stops. There should be twice as many as there are, and at the very least, there should have been *direct* jumps to the key action scenes/introductions. I frustratingly found out that my 360 only goes up to 16x when forwarding, which is a pain the ass when the scene I want to get to is at the very end of the chapter stop I selected.

Mine turned up today. I got the confirmation of shipping Late Tuesday night and it arrived today 2 days not bad considering it came from Philly and made it to the U.K in that time. If MovieTyme can do that at the prices they quote then the highstreet stores just lost my business for good.

Has anyone seen the making of booklet? Is is cool or lame?

If the booklet you are talking about is the Boarder's one. I saw it. A co-worker of mine bought it. His mom works there. :D It was alright. Kinda small though (about 4" tall by 8" wide).

Went through all the extras on the extra disc in the HD set last night. Pretty decent stuff, although the Transformers history they bring up is pretty basic, but probably sufficient for the general public. The thing that surprised me was that given some of the quotes and stories I've read prior, I was expecting to hate Michael Bay, but ended up nodding in agreement with him quite a bit as he logically explained why he chose the designs and voices that he did. I'm a *little* less reticent of him doing the sequel now.

One of the neat bits is where he explained why he chose Hugo Weaving over Frank Welker by showing a clip of movie Megatron using Welker's voice. Although to be fair, they did use a voice clip from the G1 cartoon(I think). I remember when Welker did a voice clip for the Transformers fandom not that long ago, and his Megatron voicing had aged(purposefully?), and sounded much better I thought.

The only deleted scenes I saw were in the behind the scenes features, and none of which were anything I'd want to see again or have re-integrated into the movie. They're all human scenes anyway, obviously.

One of the neatest unexpected extras is the Iron Man trailer on the first disc though. Awesome! :D

I didn't see the movie in the theaters, and against my better judgement I bought the DVD at Blockbuster about an hour and a half ago. I don't know what to say..... only that that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen! In fact I couldn't even finish it. The best part of what I saw was the exchange between Bernie Mac and his grandma giving him the bird (All 5 seconds of it at the beginning of the film). Look, the artists and craftspeople who brought the robots to life, did a great job...we all know that. But once again we've been spoonfed two hours of cliche dialogue, social stereotype, and mind-numbing predictability. You know, I grew up with transformers in the early 80's and was hoping for the best...sadly Michael Bay delivered yet another steaming pile of cinema.

I didn't see the movie in the theaters, and against my better judgement I bought the DVD at Blockbuster about an hour and a half ago. I don't know what to say..... only that that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen! In fact I couldn't even finish it. The best part of what I saw was the exchange between Bernie Mac and his grandma giving him the bird (All 5 seconds of it at the beginning of the film). Look, the artists and craftspeople who brought the robots to life, did a great job...we all know that. But once again we've been spoonfed two hours of cliche dialogue, social stereotype, and mind-numbing predictability. You know, I grew up with transformers in the early 80's and was hoping for the best...sadly Michael Bay delivered yet another steaming pile of cinema.

I think its important to remember that we all watched transformers when we were kids... KIDS. Transformers is a kids movie. You are an adult. of course its easy to find gripes with a movie that trashed a show that you loved, but if they made the movie in the style of the 80's show with no changes, the only people that would have really rated it would be the old school adult fans.

Its a kids movie about big robots that change into cars and jets etc. so as a kids movie its fantastic. get off the high horse and review it in the context of its target audience. The same thing happened to Star Wars -a bunch of adults went hoping to see what they loved as kids, but the movie wasnt really made for them, it was made for a new generation of fans....todays kids.

It really p1$$es me off when people slam a movie beacuse they are not reading it in the proper context of its target audience. its a big dumb action movie, nothing more. it was never meant to be more than that!

You know, I've had a little time to cool off, and um...... My girlfriend and I have deduced, that if you find it necessary (on a saturday night...mind you we haven't seen alot of each other over the last month) to get up in the middle of a movie (and a hot plate of brownies) to vent our frustrations online to anyone who will listen them....that's just not right! If I were Spielberg, I'd ask for my money back.