Official - Weapons Banter Thread

Mechamaniac

I thought the same way about 1911's (but i allways liked heavier guns) till I picked up a kimber. I would recomend going to a range and pick on of thiese up and see how you like it. I guaranty youll like it. those colts are horible (sorry to anyone who owns one) my buddies colt needed the sites ground off andnew ones bolted on.

I just don't get excited about all the "new" 1911 designs. I've shot everything from Para Ords to Kimbers to Wilson Combats to Gold Cups... Graham is 100% right when he said those guns are a barrel of trouble. My old fashioned WWII 1911A1 is so loose that if you shake it in your hand you can hear the slide rattle on it... but it is near 100% reliable which is almost unheard of in a stock 1911 without tons of shop work. These old war horses were made to have loose tollerances like the AKM rifle, you know so a grunt could run it with a handful of sand in it and no CLP. All these new fangled "Race Guns" and 1911 specials have their tollerances so tight that one little miscalibration and the whole thing fails to extract and you get a misfeed, stove pipe or a jam. Much like Graham I've put about a hundred boxes of .45 ACP through my Glock 21 with only one misfeed.

I like my 1911 for the history more than the application, the .45ACP cartridge is the real secret to the 1911. I'd much rather have my polymer frame 10 shot G21 than a heavy 7 shot 1911.

Speaking of Glocks and .45s, has anyone seen that brand new Glock 37 pistol chambered in that new .45 Glock round?

You think that's bad? Imagine being a female who loves guns. I find it doens't take long to get labeled "butch" or worse just for sharing. Offline it tends to scare men away. Alas, I did eventually give my dad my collection for safe keeping when I decided to rid my license for firearms. The temptation to hunt some morons down and shoot them was too great. :lol: Far difficult to think "harming" someone with a more personal weapons such as katanas.

God, I love a woman who owns firearms. I really wish there were more out there who do.

As for being paranoid about people stealing my firearms, I have a Magnum series Smith & Wesson gun safe that weighs about 800 lbs and holds about 14 firearms. It's perfect for what I have, and I feel very confident that no a-hole is going to come and steal it. Even if they managed to get it out of the basement, they aren't going to get into it without a plasma cutter or something like that.

I get labelled crazy all the time because I own guns. One of my nicknames is "Machinegun Eddie". I tend to not let things people say about my guns bother me. I have friends who hated guns, but have managed to turn into firearms enthusiasts.

My collection is rather limited, but I want to share it with you. This is what I currently own:

Bushmaster XM15-E2S Standard A2 rifle, 20" barrel with 10 USGI 30 round mags.

Springfield Armory Standard M1A rifle with walnut stock. I have three of the 20 round mags to go with it.

Heckler & Koch USP45

Remington 870 pump shotgun

Colt Anaconda .44 magnum pistol

Springfield Armory mil-spec 1911A1 (Just got this one last month)

I'm thinking of going shooting this weekend. Who wants to go? Wait, they're calling for rain this weekend in Maryland... :(

Speaking of Glocks and .45s, has anyone seen that brand new Glock 37 pistol chambered in that new .45 Glock round?

What I've heard is that Glock was having either reliability or durability problems with the G37 and have had to redesign it.

Basically, the G37 I handled at this year's SHOT Show had a frame and slide of identical size to the G17. However, according to the latest news it has been changed so that it now using a G21 size slide, but still retaining the G17 size frame.

Personally, I don't see the point in the G37. Why go for a downloaded (wimp) .45 round with only 10rds, when you can have the G21 with full power .45ACP rounds and a 13rd mag.

I know some people find the G21 too big for their hand, but I never had that problem. I'm only an average to small size guy, but I find the G21 fits my hand even better than the G17 and shoots softer as well (nearly zero perceived recoil and barely any muzzle rise).

Graham

Real life...

Most I've fired was a .22 back in the day in a Philippine rice patty...

Dunno if I'll pass the psych test, though I plan on getting a shotgun and making it into a sawed off when I get my own place. I'll probably have an easier time getting a shotgun or rifle from a sporting goods store than a handgun here in California. But then again, here we do have THE TERMINATOR as govenor...

Fantasy...

The BlasTech DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol, Han Solo's gun and the magnum of the Star Wars universe.

Nicholas D. Wolfwood's cross.

That gun Robocop uses.

Nightmare's version of the Soul Edge and Soul Calibur.

Rafael's version of the Soul Edge.

Say...while I've got everybody's attention, has anybody heard about these supposed Mauser Broomhandle copies made by Norinco? If this is real, then it's yet one more dream come true for me! I just hope they produce them in 9mm, and not just .30 Mauser.

Say...while I've got everybody's attention, has anybody heard about these supposed Mauser Broomhandle copies made by Norinco? If this is real, then it's yet one more dream come true for me! I just hope they produce them in 9mm, and not just .30 Mauser.

Proof positive:

...We note that Norinco in Red China is now producing replicas of the Broomhandle Mauser...

- Jeff Cooper's Commentaries (Previously Gunsite Gossip) Vol. 11, No. 11 September 3, 2003

It should also be noted that Dubaya's Executive Order banning the importation of anything made by Norinco in China will block this pistol from being legal to ship to the USA... Canada on the other hand... :rolleyes:

My dream gun if I only owned one pistol would probably be the H&K P7M10 .40 Cal, if you're gonna drop 1300 bucks for one pistol that should be it.

I'd also like to get my hands on one of the FBI model H&K MP5 chambered in 10MM, or for that matter, the Canadian C7 which is basically an AR-15/M-16, but upscaled, and chambered in 7.62x51.

I agree with Graham about the .45 Glock cartridge, why bother? The instructor had one at the armorer's school I just went to, and I'd pick the regular .45ACP over the .45 Glock. Then again, I'm a .357SIG man, so I wouldn't pick either one. He wouldn't let us shoot it even though we were near a range. He just brought it for show and tell. He didn't really answer any questions I had about the cartridge(well, I guess my first question shouldn't have been, so all I gotta do to the cruciform is this and I can make my own poor man's full-auto conversion? He refused to answer and kept giving me dirty looks throughout the day) I don't think Glock is going to sell many G37s. Let's see, the 10mm didn't do so well, the .400 CORBON, I haven't heard in a long time, what other calibers didn't make it... I'm surprised the .357SIG made it. People were calling me nuts years ago when I kept trying to get my dept. to switch over to it, now, lot's of PDs are switching to it.

anyone shoot S&W's new BIG revolver? I picked it up at the gun store, but it was way too big, but the cartridge looks devastating!

Thanks for the backstory Graham. I had heard it was having teething problems. I just always assumed it was another one of those european models chambered in some odd "non military" caliber so it could be sold to the EU gun folks legally. I love my G21! :wub:

Nah, it's basically Glock just wanted to have a cartridge with their own name on it. I mean S&W have the .40S&W and Sig have the .357Sig.

Here's data on the .45 Glock round: -

Bullet diameter = .43"

Case diameter = .47"

Cartride overall length w/FMJ bullet = 1.10"

Two loadings were mentioned at the 2003 SHOT Show: -

185gr FMJ at 1,100fps

and

200gr FMJ at 984fps.

Actually, ballistics ain't too bad, but you are limited to a maximum bullet weight of of 200gr, it's impossible to fit heavier bullets in that short stubby case.

Graham

the Canadian C7 which is basically an AR-15/M-16, but upscaled, and chambered in 7.62x51.

Are you sure about that model number? Diemaco's web page only lists the C7 in 5.56.

http://www.diemaco.com/sal-Rifle%20C7.htm

IIRC, they do make a bunch of variants, so maybe it was a different model.

I can't find the link now, but I had it once before.

Maybe I'm getting confused with the Armalite AR-10, I know that one is in .308.

Check out this link btw - talk about a dream sheet!.

http://my.tele2.ee/algus1/Assault%20rifles.htm

Mmmmm, FN-FNC, forgot about that one too, even though it's in that pussy little 5.56 caliber.

damn thats sweet. is that a civilian weapon? or is it military only?

dunno... just saw it on another forum I frequent. Nice isn't it?

Vostok 7

Made by Beretta, looks neat, but is basically a hopped up pistol frame.

http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta%20CX4_St.../CX4_storm1.htm

Looks primarily designed for civilian fun gun use.

damn thats sweet. is that a civilian weapon? or is it military only?

dunno... just saw it on another forum I frequent. Nice isn't it?

Vostok 7

Should be available for civilian sale. The CX4 Storm is a semi-auto carbine, constructed mostly of polymer and chambered in 9mm and .40 which uses magazines from the Beretta 92/96 series pistols.

Handled it at the SHOT show, quite nice.

Graham

The thing I don't like about plastic guns is you can't beat the crap out of somebody with it after you run out of ammo or it'll break. I've seen it happen.

Easy solution: Don't miss. :p In fact, my goal for next summer is to learn to shoot left-handed.

The thing I don't like about plastic guns is you can't beat the crap out of somebody with it after you run out of ammo or it'll break. I've seen it happen.

Easy solution: Don't miss. :p In fact, my goal for next summer is to learn to shoot left-handed.

I don't miss.;) Sometimes there's just more enemies than bullets. :huh:

As for the left-handed thing, I'm already left-handed but I tought myself to shoot a pistol with either hand by putting my index finger on the frame beneath the slide in line with the barrel and using my middle finger on the trigger. In a practical pistol range you'll hit whatever you point at with a little practice.

:)

Are you serious, they're making copies of the C-96? Damn, I want one just have to convice my relatives in Canada to buy me a Chinese gun...

Are they also making the stock-holster for it?

Edited by Druna Skass

Are they also making the stock-holster for it?

I have no idea yet. If not, I'd imagine that a reproduction might possibly be available. I'll keep my eyes on the regular Norinco importers in Canada for updates, but I doubt anything will show up for some time. Anything "Norinco" seems to be delayed these days.

BTW, if you're in the States you'll never get a Norinco handgun over the border from Canada. Sorry. :(

Well, I am not really into guns much (have fired my friends' Garand, Mauser, Springfield, and M-1 carbine though...)

What I would really like would be an Anti-tank rifle. Of course I wouldn't use it for anything, but a PTRD or PTRS would be so cool. I don't know why I like ATRs when I have almost no interest at all in other infantry weapons.

I can't add much else in this thread.

guns that i've admired:

HK USP 40

MP5

M249

M4

guns that i've actually fired:

M-16A2

M-60

Colt .45 (looked like a 1911)

i was in the Army for 4 years and got to fire the M-16 and M-60 for work/training. the .45 belonged to a friend of mine. that thing had some kick! out of those 3, the m-60 was the most fun! we fired it from a foxhole or from the prone position, with a bi-pod. the kick from that thing would push me back! it was just cool to fire...the steady thump-thump-thump-thump as it spit out tracers was just amazing...just like a movie! i'm glad i didn't have to carry it on a ruck march....its pretty heavy.

i'm actually thinkin of getting into airsoft to try and have some fun with guns! i want to get a tokyo mauri m733 commando carbine. anyone here do airsoft?

BTW, if you're in the States you'll never get a Norinco handgun over the border from Canada. Sorry.  :(

I wonder if there's some loophole somewhere...

Has to be someway of getting one short of breaking the law...

canada is soooo the easiest US border to get stuff across... just don't tell them whats in the bag under the severed head :rolleyes:

A gun that got my curiosty is one a co-worker mentioned he might sell. It's a colt 380 that looks just like a walter PPK... anybody have a clue about such a thing?

Oh yeah... here is a pic of part of one wall in my house :rolleyes:

Behind the freaky fan sculpture you can see the 'poon ;)

?? well, I'll say this...my HK USP Compact and Glock 22 have actually struck several people several times with no damage to the gun (and no damage to me) and has taken the fight out of the subject.

wait, I'll take that back, the baseplate of the magazine on the HK actually broke on one person.

dang PCP...

Man, I had no idea that this much gunplay took place in China!?. Or were you somewhere else when these pics were taken Graham?

Gonna have to post pics of my PPC tricked out S&W Model 10. It's a .38 Special with a tuned & timed cylinder, weighted barrel, adjustable sight, and filed off hammer spur making it Double action only. Looks kind of like Vash's gun but blued...

Time to take a pic...

Man, I had no idea that this much gunplay took place in China!?. Or were you somewhere else when these pics were taken Graham?

Gonna have to post pics of my PPC tricked out S&W Model 10. It's a .38 Special with a tuned & timed cylinder, weighted barrel, adjustable sight, and filed off hammer spur making it Double action only. Looks kind of like Vash's gun but blued...

Time to take a pic...

Hong Kong was under British rule at that time, so then it wasn't technically part of China then. But yes, there was more shooting then as we were able to rent some of the outdoor ranges from the British Army.

Even now, civilian gun ownership is allowed, but is fairly tightly controlled. We do have several gun clubs in HK, catering to different shooting sports, but they are all very expensive to join.

Graham