20th anniversary edition DYRL thoughts/wishes

treatment

I couple of months ago I asked Graham if Big West had plans to release ANYTHING for the 20th Anniversary of DYRL. At that time he said that Big West had no plans, I hope that they're changed their plans by then. :ph34r:

If they do release a special edition of DYRL, I hope it comes with English subtitles. Just to piss HG off may give them some incentive. More R2 releases are having subtitles included, so the possibility is there. Should be no different than our putting extra language tracks on R1 discs. I'd pay full import price for that no question. FB2012 included would be a nice bonus, but it would be nice to have an official DYRL disc if anything.

Watching DYRL makes you sad doesn't it? Minmei's song "Do you remember love" is very depressing and not knowing what happened to Megaroad 1's faith isn't very uplifting either. :(

*sniff* *bruuuup* :wub:

Yeah. that's the reason I don't watch it often. I get very emotional watching DYRL...being that it's my favorite movie of all time and all :)

Exactly HOW emotional do you get when you watch DYRL? I'd hate to see you watch Grave of the Fireflies...........

BTW your AV is B) B) B) isamu.........Hahahahahahahahaha. PWNED to da max.

"Do You Remember Love?" a sad song? I've always thought it was a very uplifting song. Then again, I've never really read a translation of the lyrics, so maybe it is a sad song. "An Angel's Paint" is still my favourite song from the movie, and my favourite Minmay song in general, though.

As for the Megaroad-01? How can you think that's sad? They road off into the sunset and lived happily ever after. It's the very definition of a happy ending. Hikaru and Misa had a happy marrige and a kid, while Minmay came to terms with what she wanted out of life, overcoming the self-centeredness and diva-hood of her younger years, and even retained a good friendship with both Hikaru and Misa.

Them dissapearing near the center of the galaxy always seemed like an excuse to blow off the fans constantly pestering Kawamori and company about the fate of the those three characters, whose stories Kawamori had stated many times he was done with.

At least, that's what I get out of DYRL? and Flashback 2012, and all that.

Back on topic, though, I do hope Big West has plans for the 10th Anniversary of the movie. Not all that long ago, I was desperately hoping Bandai would reissue the 1/55th Elintseeker and Super Ostrich, but I'm afraid those feelings have passed. I'd much rather have a 1/48th Yamato rendition of those two Valkyries.

I'd also like to see a new Macross tv series, but if Kawamori is working on a non-Macross tv series right now, then we might not be getting another series for a while. Who knows? Time will tell.

"Do You Remember Love?" a sad song? I've always thought it was a very uplifting song. Then again, I've never really read a translation of the lyrics, so maybe it is a sad song.

I've read the lyrics and it's not a sad song at all. It's actually about the redemptive power of love (and unlike most of that ilk, the translated lyrics don't descend into that ultra-smarmy, mushy Michael Bolton crap :p )

You guys think BigWest will release a special 20th anniversary edition DYRL?

That feature where you can open it into your computer and maybe take a look at some designs (I'd love to be able to look at a 3D VF-1 or VF-4 in cyberspace) with notes (in Japanese or Engilsh) from Kawanori,. Mikimoto, and Miyatake. Maybe have some slo-mo transformation sequences of the Macross, VF-1 and VF-4. And maybe some stuff you can download on to your comp, like wallpapers, themes or something.

Going too far?

Considering the price of Japanese region DVD's it's highly unlikely but it's good to keep your hopes up. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that BW will pull something out of their sleeve for the 20th Anniversary of DYRL. B)

If they do release a special edition of DYRL, I hope it comes with English subtitles. Just to piss HG off may give them some incentive. More R2 releases are having subtitles included, so the possibility is there. Should be no different than our putting extra language tracks on R1 discs.

Considering that it would be an R2 disk, HG would care less. It wouldn't play in a US DVD player that wasn't modified to be regionless. I don't think there are as many modified players as people think. Considering the price will be pretty high to import it, many will just go for the bootlegs or wait for HK to bootleg the new R2 version.

If they do release a special edition of DYRL, I hope it comes with English subtitles.  Just to piss HG off may give them some incentive.  More R2 releases are having subtitles included, so the possibility is there.  Should be no different than our putting extra language tracks on R1 discs.

Considering that it would be an R2 disk, HG would care less. It wouldn't play in a US DVD player that wasn't modified to be regionless. I don't think there are as many modified players as people think. Considering the price will be pretty high to import it, many will just go for the bootlegs or wait for HK to bootleg the new R2 version.

fwiw,

My dvd-rom player is region-free. It's what I used to play my Region-2 dvds.

I didn't have to modify it. My video-card has tv-out, too, in addition to being a dual-monitor unit.

Ain't no need for a modified region-free standalone-player for me.

Guess I'm a little lucky in that department.

^_^

--treatment--

Edited by treatment

• 3 weeks later...
I'm thinking of buying the Japanese Macross TV DVDs and putting the Animeigo discs in the nice Japanese cases. Going too far?

No, because the AnimEigo box art is junk... :D

I was thinking of doing the same thing to be honest with you. I might be able to get a friend to buy the R2 discs on the cheap... but I'm too lazy. Don't wanna put forth the effort required for it.

The box art for the Hong Kong Macross set looks GREAT... wow.

Thats the character design style I want to see in actual animation. :)

I'm thinking of buying the Japanese Macross TV DVDs and putting the Animeigo discs in the nice Japanese cases. Going too far?

No, because the AnimEigo box art is junk... :D

I was thinking of doing the same thing to be honest with you. I might be able to get a friend to buy the R2 discs on the cheap... but I'm too lazy. Don't wanna put forth the effort required for it.

The box art for the Hong Kong Macross set looks GREAT... wow.

Thats the character design style I want to see in actual animation. :)

If you want you can bitch to the designer here in the forums because he comes around here once and while. As for me I like the black cases. Looks good with my 1/48s...

Better idea yet, how about a Macross World special edition set of TV DVD covers. I'm sure someone here has to have the R2 set, it'd just be a matter of getting them scanned, & going down to kinko's to get them on good paperstock. $10 + shipping wouldn't be out of the question.

Hell, after Zeta comes out, I wouldn't mind forking out $40 for a nicely done Paul whatshisname metal box for Macross, maybe again a special edition set we could have done, perhaps get a bulk discount from him. We could have votes for what art is to be used, and the whole shebang.

The 20th anniv. dyrl dvd that I wish for would have :

1. the psx/saturn dyrl in-game movies and the flashback 2012 sequence edited onto the main movie

2. and as a movie extra -- the macross gold book translated into english html format B))

how about a "good" english dub,,, with actors like sean connery as Global, Nick cage as Hikaru,,,,,,,,,,,or maybe Fokker, ah hell, as long as it doesnt sound like the dubs on MacII,,,maybe get the guys who did Mac+, I really liked that one,,,,,,and top it off with a Limited Edition Fokker TV type 1/48 Yammie (panel linned and such)

Whacha thinks :)

The 20th anniv. dyrl dvd that I wish for would have :

1. the psx/saturn dyrl in-game movies and the flashback 2012 sequence edited onto the main movie

2. and as a movie extra -- the macross gold book translated into english html format B))

I'd say your chances for request #1 are 50%

Your chances for #2 are ZERO! I think they will re-release the gold book.