The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

I haven't seen Gunbuster yet (or bought the DVDs) after many years of wanting to see it, because the R1 is defiled (episode 1 music edit & cruddy audio re-encode)

When the news broke about the music edit I was aghast, the original music was absolutely exceptional. Despite already having the R2 box, I bought the R1 for comparisons sake and was quite surprised. As I stated in my review earlier in this thread, the audio in episode 1 is lower in quality than the R2, but I truly wouldn't have noticed unless I had already listened to the R2. And even then, it's not so bad as to make this first episode unbearable. Then came the music edit, maybe I was expecting the worst, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Yes, that one musical piece is gone but Bandai USA did replace it with a similiarly appropriate piece that fit the scene very nicely.

Would I have preferred a clean version of episode 1? Absolutely! But the changes they made weren't as bad as everyone expected, I'd classify them as very minor annoyances rather than dealbreakers. In your case, you seem intent on going through a whole lot of trouble just to do away with minutia. I say just go ahead and buy the R1, you'll find out that all the work you're were willing to put yourself through isn't worth the effort.

I disagree (big shock, I know). Sure, for the common fan, the R1 will suffice, but if Gunbuster is high on your list of favorites, it just won't do. The music might work, but you just know it's not supposed to be there. That, and the R2/0 has that 4th disc that really is a dream for Gunbuster fans (I'm not big on extras, but even I thought it was worth it). The added trailers, period interviews, and image gallery is nice to begin with, but the icing is the rough cuts of 5 and 6. Seeing an early version of episode five, with incomplete footage, jerky pans, and a few seconds of added footage (even if of questionable content ^_^) really gives a nice insight to animation production. It's just cool to see a version not meant for fan eyes. The open matte of 6 is a nice touch too, and implies that the color switch was a last minute thought.

The fact that it's unaltered helps to sweeten an already great set. It's a shame that it's subless, pricier, and harder to find (can't prevent double dipping, now can we), since it's easily the better set.

It's sad that we live this far into the future, & still have to put up with crap like this. Beck just got released with a similar circumstance/edit.

Edited by Keith

When the news broke about the music edit I was aghast, the original music was absolutely exceptional. Despite already having the R2 box, I bought the R1 for comparisons sake and was quite surprised. As I stated in my review earlier in this thread, the audio in episode 1 is lower in quality than the R2, but I truly wouldn't have noticed unless I had already listened to the R2. And even then, it's not so bad as to make this first episode unbearable. Then came the music edit, maybe I was expecting the worst, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Yes, that one musical piece is gone but Bandai USA did replace it with a similiarly appropriate piece that fit the scene very nicely.

Totally where I am at with the disc.

Yeah, to each their own. Even I wouldn't have been as pissed had circumstances been, I don't know, logical, and not utterly pointless and deceptive?

On a side note, good to see the Duke avatar return. ^_^

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Really, do tell?

During episodes 23, 24, & 25, during the Greatful Sound concert, Beck plays a Beatles cover of "I've Got a Feeling." Due to some random licensing issue (Funi didn't want to pay for the rights, or just didn't want to risk a challenge), while the music itself is left intact, the vocal track for the original Japanese audio is replaced with a single generic verse cycling for all 6 minutes or so that the song plays overall (spread over the course over those 3 episodes). Now why they don't think they'd get sued over "playing" the song, but they do think they'd have a problem with including the lyrics to the song is anyones guess. But it completely ruins a somewhat epic moment in the series.

During episodes 23, 24, & 25, during the Greatful Sound concert, Beck plays a Beatles cover of "I've Got a Feeling." Due to some random licensing issue (Funi didn't want to pay for the rights, or just didn't want to risk a challenge), while the music itself is left intact, the vocal track for the original Japanese audio is replaced with a single generic verse cycling for all 6 minutes or so that the song plays overall (spread over the course over those 3 episodes). Now why they don't think they'd get sued over "playing" the song, but they do think they'd have a problem with including the lyrics to the song is anyones guess. But it completely ruins a somewhat epic moment in the series.

I think it's all about people with egos that want to leave their mark. People with no creative talent but too much editorial power. I just watched the Gunbuster training montage on youtube, and it's just ridiculous that they cut it out for legal reasons. Ther's no way in hell they could have been sued for it. The song sounds as much like Chariots of Fire as the Superman theme sounds like the Star Wars music. It's just the same type of instruments and the same kind of song.

The song sounds as much like Chariots of Fire as the Superman theme sounds like the Star Wars music.

In the case of Superman sounding like Star Wars, both movies' soundtracks were composed by John Williams. Who's going to sue a person for copying themself? Not that anyone would sue the composer of Gunbuster's score for sounding like Vangelis.

In the case of Superman sounding like Star Wars, both movies' soundtracks were composed by John Williams. Who's going to sue a person for copying themself? Not that anyone would sue the composer of Gunbuster's score for sounding like Vangelis.
Well I'll be...I did not know that, and I never heard it until today. Weird. Seems like something I would have learned a long time ago. Anyway, I hope the point still stands. :D

I disagree... because of the way that piece is used later and just it's general tone it doesn't sound right for an 80s training montage. I also have to wonder Gunbuster's composer Kohei Tanaka complained in an interview how sometimes it's embarrassing to see the way his music gets cut for the final release, especially when the scene is changed after his compisistion and doesn't fit well... I wonder what he'd feel after watching this version.

I seriously will buy the R2 if I ever find a copy, just for the original music in that one scene.

He'd probably feel the same as Yamaga, he can understand where the fans are coming from, but can't get upset over one, foreign release.

Still, the blow would've been softened had they not tried to hide it (or forget about it). I still think the R0 was made precisely because of it. Why else produce a limited, 4-disc version for an obscure 80's mecha show? Granted it was a clone, and cost only reproduction costs, but somebody either knew they needed something, or there's a major Gunbuster fan peeved that the extras were cut.

Actually the director of a movie could indeed sue his composer if say.. Mr. Williams turned in a direct copy of the tune to Superman as the theme for some other movie, claimed it was "original" work and was paid as such.

Same way a student can be docked for plagerizing themself if they turn in the same paper in two classes.

Actually the director of a movie could indeed sue his composer if say.. Mr. Williams turned in a direct copy of the tune to Superman as the theme for some other movie, claimed it was "original" work and was paid as such.

Same way a student can be docked for plagerizing themself if they turn in the same paper in two classes.

Really? Damn.... I have an English 111 esay that I was going to rework and expand into a Thesis! DAMN!

Edited by lord_breetai

Hello! (Points to self!)

You work for Bandai Visual? I never knew. B))

Where've you been any way? :blink:

I bought both R1 and R0 because I was pissed off over the music change and extras.

Which is probably what they were hoping for in our case. I only bought the R0 (paying 40 bucks more than the average fan).

The only reason I didn't go for the R0, was because I already had the R2, but I hope for a not too distant future where it's easy to use such sources to create superior versions without much software hunting.

I have been a GunBuster fan for a small while now, but I never got around to watching Diebuster. I finally watched it tonight. After the first 3 episodes, I wondered if there would be much of any real tie between the two other than some obscure references (I got a huge Chrono Trigger : Chrono Cross feeling). But wow. The ending literally gave me chills. And I grinned ear to ear when I learned the origin of "Nonoriri" in the flashback of Nono in the comet. Overall, much better that I thought it would be. I can't wait for a thin-pak DVD set.

Thanks to the people in this thread for convincing me to watch it.

I have been a GunBuster fan for a small while now, but I never got around to watching Diebuster. I finally watched it tonight. After the first 3 episodes, I wondered if there would be much of any real tie between the two other than some obscure references (I got a huge Chrono Trigger : Chrono Cross feeling). But wow. The ending literally gave me chills. And I grinned ear to ear when I learned the origin of "Nonoriri" in the flashback of Nono in the comet. Overall, much better that I thought it would be. I can't wait for a thin-pak DVD set.

Thanks to the people in this thread for convincing me to watch it.

You're going to be waiting for quite a while, since Bandai Visual doesn't do thinpaks. In fact, aside from a next media (blue ray or what not) release, I wouldn't expect a box of any sort, and even then, a blue ray box isn't guarunteed either.

You're going to be waiting for quite a while, since Bandai Visual doesn't do thinpaks. In fact, aside from a next media (blue ray or what not) release, I wouldn't expect a box of any sort, and even then, a blue ray box isn't guarunteed either.

Gunbuster 2 has been solicted in the UK for £25, no idea if it's a thinpak or whatever but that is very cheap, especially for the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else peeved that it's been three months, andstill no winner announcement? Or is it just me? ^_^

May we also mark the passing of "The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread, Macross Nexus Edition". It, like the forum, shall be missed. Even if it wasn't used past the great MW blackout.

For about 5 years now, the 1/20,000 Exelion resin kit by General Products has been at the top of my 'holy grail' list. And today, it just got bumped down a notch. That is because I have discovered the existence of this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hobby_blog/2288719778/

I don't know the scale or who makes it, but it's big, it's sexy, and I must have it. And it even comes with a little in-scale Gunbuster!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hobby_blog/2287931801/

The same guy made an Eltreum also, which is even bigger! And more expensive, at Y58,000 (the Exelion was Y35,000)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hobby_blog/2288721620/

And to give you an idea of how big they are, I found this on the maker's blog:

http://1st.geocities.jp/kk4509/_gl_images_/767752.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Five months and counting...

In rather interesting news, I've discovered the existence of HDTV 720p rips of both films. I'll be checking the when I free more HDD space.

Costume progress is still ziltch. Looks like I probably won't be making Fanime. As long as it's finished this year, I'll be happy I guess.

I still need t figure out what material to use for the accents to my Coach jacket. Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...