The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

It is very expensive. I got my Gunbuster set from Best Buy for only $20!!! Perhaps waiting a month or so will produce lower prices??? What's funny, is that I'm just getting to this thread, and I have the OST in my car now. It's the one that has like 99 tracks on it with talking, along with the songs and soundtrack music. Man, :unsure: They just don't make anime like they used to.

Why the heck are they calling it Gunbuster 2? I just don't get it. Sure the name has some recognition but c'mon.

Yeah, same reason why they translate "Top o Nerae!" as "Gunbuster" in the opening credits of the original OVA. I was rather surprised how much time people spent complaining about the BGM in the first episode, and not the shoddy translation of the entire set.

Just to let you know, Bandai announced today that they will be releasing Diebuster on May 22. There will be three DVD volumes with two episodes each, and SRP is estimated at $39.99 a volume. If that is the case, that is pretty expensive for what the going rate is for DVD's here in the States for only 2 episodes. That brings to mind the bad old days of anime when titles such as Bubblegum Crisis and even the original release of Gunbuster were around $40. Diebuster will also be released as Gunbuster 2, which for the life of me I don't know why. The only die-hard reference made to the original is the appearance of the Gunbuster at the end of episode 6.

Yeah Bandai is off their rocker if they think that people in R1 will buy at that price WITHOUT a dub. And it doesn't seem to be the only show that is planned to recieve this type of treatment.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-...l-about-pricing

I actually prefer anime DVD's without a dub. Leaving off the dub means less compression needs to be applied to the video (assuming the distributor takes full advantage of the space offered on the DVD).

It might seem insignificant to some, but when you have an HDTV every little artifact is noticable, especially in anime.

I actually prefer anime DVD's without a dub. Leaving off the dub means less compression needs to be applied to the video (assuming the distributor takes full advantage of the space offered on the DVD).

It might seem insignificant to some, but when you have an HDTV every little artifact is noticable, especially in anime.

Nothing stopping you from buying Imports, but please don't make others suffer because of your weeboo hatred. :rolleyes: Remember that 50% of the buying audience and 99% of the anime networks will ONLY buy/show a dub. Manga company's may have gone non-flipped because 47% of the audience would still read it, but it's industrial suicide to go 'sub-only' and the anime market would shrink back down to late 80's-early 90's levels.

Besides anime looks like crap on an HD screen because it's just not designed for it.

Let's be honest here, 90% of dubs are really bad. I'll go as far to say if the recent Gunbuster DVD release was done as a dub, I would never have bought it. And I could be wrong, but the anime the dub crowd watches is generally not the same stuff the sub crowd goes for. Its a different type of fan.

Let's be honest here, 90% of dubs are really bad. I'll go as far to say if the recent Gunbuster DVD release was done as a dub, I would never have bought it. And I could be wrong, but the anime the dub crowd watches is generally not the same stuff the sub crowd goes for. Its a different type of fan.

Dare i categorise them as the casual fan and the purist fan?

But yes u speak the truth. If i was as young as the pokemon generation now, why would i watch Pokemon in some foreign language i don't understand when there's english?

Yeah. Not to diss the crowd that watch dub, but I would never buy a Gunbuster DVD with dub only. Nor any other dub only anime titles. Just want to get the better voices and acting out of the show I like.

Yeah, same reason why they translate "Top o Nerae!" as "Gunbuster" in the opening credits of the original OVA. I was rather surprised how much time people spent complaining about the BGM in the first episode, and not the shoddy translation of the entire set.

Oh, I mentioned that. I couldn't get it either.

Nothing stopping you from buying Imports, but please don't make others suffer because of your weeboo hatred. :rolleyes:

When did I say I hated dubs? I actually like some dubs (Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, etc) and have no problem buying anime dvd's that have multiple audio tracks. The point I was trying to get across is that if an anime DVD is lacking a dub track, I look at that as a plus because then the video will (usually) look better. It helps to actually read the post that you're replying too.

Besides anime looks like crap on an HD screen because it's just not designed for it.

Right, we also know that anime also looks like crap in color because it was always designed to be in black & white. :rolleyes:

Actually, I think I mentioned the title translation thing when it first came out, commenting something to the effect of BV believing american's weren't capable of "aiming for the top," or some such thing.

As long as the original Japanese titles are there (which they are) I could care less what stupidity they choose to impact in their subtitle of it. Aside from that, and the rip van winkle thing, the subtitles for Gunbuster were great, as I hope they will be for Diebuster.

Actually, I found very few translation issues in the set. And I fansubbed the series years back, so I like to think I know the dialog pretty well. I think they may have even borrowed from my script a little at one point in episode 2 :p

Aside from the obvious (intentional) mistranslation of the title, the only noticeable translation error I found was in one of the science lessons. The subs have her saying that she's a big fan of spaceships, or something like that, when she's really saying that she has every issue of Uchuusen. Uchuusen = spaceship = SFX magazine in Japan. Still running today, I believe.

Oh, its not that the translation was wrong, it was some of the choices they made in the translation that bothered me.

You're not the only one. I was a bit puzzled by some of the choices.

And in Hayate No Gotoku ep3, Hayate he does a "BUSTER CHOLERA", parody to Buster Collider, on the robot. You don't see the move though. Just screaming. :lol:

Great to see references in new stuff. I remember getting a kick out of the Pani Poni X. So influenced that you can mod a Gunbuster into it.

Having watched number 2 of Lucky Star, all I can say is forget the bars of the Gunbuster theme, the dentist bit was awesome. Truly the stuff of legends for a fan. ^_^

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

http://pony-hp.web.infoseek.co.jp/DIXNEUF.htm

Just opened my Wave Dix Neuf PVC action figure. While pretty happy with the sculpt, and the paint job is pretty nice (though have a few hiccups and ugly touch-up), I am quite disapointed with the joints. Its not because of the limited articulation, which I already know about. Its the looseness and material quality of the joints that surpriced me. The ball joints are very loose floppy out of the box. While I take off the parts and use the superglue treatment to thicken the ball joints, the red hard plastic that they used for the ball joints are not that hard at all, and got stress marks already after I pull the thing out. The hip joint connection(connects the ball joint to hip) is awful and wobbles, with the ball joint only like 10 degree of movement, while leaving the figure very unstable with the heavy legs very floppy. The sad part is, even if you super glue the ball joint for good, the legs are still going to be wobbly because of the sucky connection above. And fiddle with it too much might have the joint snap and break on you. Not sure why they don't just make the whole thing as a solid piece and make the figure stands better.

Somehow, the Gunbuster 2 figures seemed to be plagued with issues. Following Bandai's Buster Machine No.7 Nono really bad paint job, Dix Neuf while looks good, is a surprisingly wobbly figure, when you thought it would stand like a brick with its really limited articulation. Sigh...

Edited by mpchi

For those interested, I succeeded in debuting my Coach Ohta costume at the cosplay contest for the 40th annual Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival in San Francisco yesterday. I didn't win anything (we had an exceptional turnout this year), but I did get a judge comment of nice construction, and a photographer acquaintance recognized it off the bat (and revealed that a fellow male photographer has a Noriko crossplay that shall never be photographed ^_^). That's more than enough for me, and I put it together out of love for the show, not awards (as cheesy as that sounds).

I still need to add the two tone effect to the jacket and pants, and replace the cane with a more accurate hand crutch, but I'm glad I got to march in the Grand Parade representing Gunbuster, even if I spent more than I wanted to.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Photos for those that care, compliments of Eurobeat King of Cosplay.com.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e377/Eur...07/DSC00125.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e377/Eur...07/DSC00126.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e377/Eur...07/DSC00127.jpg

Like I said, some work is still needed, but I have more time for that now that the parade has passed.

This question is directed to those fans living in the United States.

Of those of you out there who placed an order for the BOME Noriko Takaya figure, how many of you have received it? I pre-ordered one from a seller on eBay, and have not received it. I have been told that this figure has not been released yet, but checking through various sources and even from some members outside the states on this thread, they have gotten theirs. Anyone else having issues, or am I going to have to open a can of whoop-ass on this guy?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got Diebuster Vol 1. I haven't watched the whole disc yet, but all intro's, endings, songs, etc, seem to be ok. It's actually a great looking disc to boot.

Also note, just like with Gunbuster, there are two subtitle tracks, one for just dialogue, and one for dialogue & signs.

Got my vol 1 of diebuster, watched it and it seems fine, only it does seem sloppy that they didn't bother calling it by its proper title name on the box and in the subtitles.

Edited by kung flu

Got my vol 1 of diebuster, watched it and it seems fine, only it does seem sloppy that they didn't bother calling it by its proper title name on the box and in the subtitles.

Unfortunately, that's a carry over from their Gunbuster release, as they seemed to have had some fear of using the "Aim for the Top!" title.

Just got Diebuster Vol 1. I haven't watched the whole disc yet, but all intro's, endings, songs, etc, seem to be ok. It's actually a great looking disc to boot.

Also note, just like with Gunbuster, there are two subtitle tracks, one for just dialogue, and one for dialogue & signs.

How much did it end-up setting you back? I heard that they were seriously over priced. And it's only 2 episodes right?