The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

Thanks Noriko.

I know I'll try my best to have Gunbuster images on my badge when warrented (AX staff, my own convention's badges, etc...)

I'll still see about scanning the promo stuff I got from Kinokuniya.

Someone was kind enough to scan the R1 booklet. Anyone with the R0 only care for a link?

Good news [for me at least]!!

When going through the glove box of our Volvo, my sister found a case with two of my CDs in it. One was a throwaway MP3 disc (not even of rare music), but beneath it was my copy of Gunbuster OST 1. So it wasn't stolen like the others. So that saves e about 40 bucks. Combined with the remaining disc two of the bootleg Sound Collection set I had, I still have the complete score, and the songs that matter. My friend's going to copy his eventually.

Someone was kind enough to scan the R1 booklet. Anyone with the R0 only care for a link?

which booklet are you are you talking about? the DVD remaster ones? or the perfect DVD or combo Movie of one and two?

The Honneamise R1 OAV Remaster release. I only have the R0, which is a clone of the out of print R2, and has a vastly different booklet. So now I don't have to buy a 40-60 dollar set for a booklet and subs I ultimately don't need. I was just wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation and would like them as well.

Now if someone would just scan the Mangacard.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Wow, thanks Gunbuster. Now I really do have no reason to regret not picking it up in time.

Apparently they have leftovers, as I read they handed the out with purchase at AX.

As for the hair colors...good question. Perhaps Mikimoto's memory of it is a tad shoddy. That, or someone messed up. There's no other evidence suggesting a surreal take on the colors, so it probably is a simple, if really extraordinary goof.

Interesting that it cements Jung's nationality as Russian. I remember one internet discussion arguing that her name meant that she could only have come from East Berlin.

"I'll be riding the Buster machine I've been dreaming of." Classic, seeing as it was classified, and at that point she had no knowledge, and probably no desire to pilot such a thing.

I suppose the "to be continued" means when you pop your copy in? Sad that they'd cover 1 and 2, but not 3-6.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Interesting that it cements Jung's nationality as Russian. I remember one internet discussion arguing that her name meant that she could only have come from East Berlin.

Not sure about that... cause it could just be a generalization, Russian = Soviet (including East Germany/East Berlin), also they might have just used that now since the USSR dosn't exist anymore it might have been easier for younger people to understand if they said Russia. Also saying USSR really dates it, so I dunno.

I think with her name, a german background would be more likely.

Maybe, but her name was more of jut another production pun than an actual clue to her origin. For all we know, her parents were Russians living in Germany, Germans living in Russia, or she's half blooded and her father named her. It doesn't really matter. I've always thought of her as Russian myself.

After about an hour of meddling, thanks to the GIMP, I have corrected the colors on the manga card. I think it's about as close as I could get it. Already, I think it looks worlds better. I'd love to change "dad" to "papa" (as that what she calls him), but that's a little beyond my skills and patience.

post-1202-1187681778_thumb.jpg

post-1202-1187681795_thumb.jpg

Oh great. That means they just completely forgot about me. Joy. Glad I took the time to mail the offer in. :angry:

Question, though... why are the hair colors switched/wrong in the illustrations?

Or depending on how closely you check your mail, it may have accidentally gotten tossed out. Seriously, it was a very unassuming envelope, that came from Broccoli instead of Bandai Visual, looked extremely junkmailish :)

Just to let you know, these cards were also issued with the Carddass Masters Gunbuster card set a few years back. Below you will see them in their original Japanese and coloring. The hair coloring is the same on the originals as it is on the ones released with the R1 DVD set.

01carddass.gif

Nice. I figured they were existing art pieces, especially judging by the art style. I still need to get the rest of those cards.

Anyone care for my recolors?

actually Mercurial, you did an awesome job re-coloring the card!

• 2 weeks later...

THanks for the praise. It was pretty simple after I figured out the best approach.

Here a note, I was browsing Wikipedia, and it mentions that Gunbuster was USR's first release. I'd always been under the impression that Dangaio was such(possibly due to the blurb on the back of the case, which I now notice is also on Gunbuster). Thanks to a vendor having a box never opened since the mid-nineties, I found a sealed Dangaio 1, and Devil Hunter Yoko 1, Iczelion, as well as some 1st issue KOR OAV tapes, which I kept sealed due to their somewhat historic value, since I'd seen them already [though the KORs were ripped so I opened them]. Having read this, I examined my tapes and noticed Gunbuster was labeled VD1, and Dangaio VD2, so I suppose it's true. So I guess my Dangaio 1 isn't as special as I thought, but oh well. It's interesting to get one's facts straight, and just thought I'd pop in for confimation, as I was editing Gunbuster's wiki, and had it down as the second release. One book says the release was March 1990. So they were released close together.

The Wiki also states that it was outright the 1st US subtitled release. Any confirmation on that? I know it was early, and at least one of the firsts.

The Wiki also states that it was outright the 1st US subtitled release. Any confirmation on that? I know it was early, and at least one of the firsts.

According to Animeigo's website they released MADOX-01 in 1989, just a year before Gunbuster.

While many people know that Metal Skin Panic : MADOX-01 was our first release (early 1989)...

http://www.animeigo.com/ABOUT/HISTORY.t

Close, but no cigar. But I never knew that Gunbuster was USR's first release. A series definitely worth that honor.

I figured it was errornious. Thanks. I too thought Dangaio was their first. Still they were released in the same month.

On a speculative note, any one else care to ponder the Gurren-Lagann connection. I was reading a friend's blog who, upon seeing Gunbuster for the first time, and being a big GL fan, made a comment of how it had a lot of the same feel as early episodes. Pondering that while watching episode 22 myself, I'm inclined to agree, as it put me in the mode to watch Gunbuster (watched the rough cut of episode 5). I've noticed that they share very similar themes, the core of which being that believing in yourself allows you to overcome anything. Gunbuster demonstrated this in Noriko's development with Gunbuster being the embodiment of the power contained in her now confident self. Gurren-Lagann takes an even more direct approach in the Core drill, Lagann, and Spiral Energy being a very physical representation of Simon's will. His determination can literally create new avenues.

The feel is similar too, as it's grounded in a somewhat realistic world, even if that world has a bit of a "Wild, Wild West" thing going for it. Even the pacing is similar in having a lighthearted, but not goofy start with a dramatic closing, all sprinkled with hot-blooded mecha action.

This sort of drives me to want to watch Diebuster, as I've only seen half of it (one wasn't subbed). However, GL's world in many ways feels like a blending of Gunbuster's realism, with a pinch of Diebuster's extravagance. In some ways, as it stands, as I won't know until I finish either, Gurren-Lagann feels more like a sequel in the vein of Gunbuster than Diebuster does.

I did get the feeling that GL was a sort of sequel to Diebuster. The back of Dix-neuf has a sorta face like a Ganmen. And the Ganmen look like the buster machines from the Diebuster era. Hmmmmm.

:D

And Yoko bears a strange resemblance to Nono. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Though some here might be interested

Bandai Visual USA Tidbits (02:15 PM EDT): A few new cover art threads popped up with images of upcoming Bandai Visual USA releases today, including the Gunbuster Vs. Diebuster movie, MS Igloo and the Jin-Roh Blu-ray release. Of note is that the Gunbuster Vs. Diebuster movie is being released in two distinct ways. On 11/13/2007, there will be a Dot-Anime Exclusive w/ Noriko+Nono Action Figure. On 01/08/2008 there will be the General Release without the Noriko+Nono Action Figure.

http://animeondvd.com/

http://animeondvd.com/forum/showtopic.php?...8/post/new/#NEW

Edited by dejr8bud

Since I already have the figures from the R2, and the standard release will be cheaper at rightstuf, I think I'm going to pass on the dot-anime exclusive. Hmm, at least until I see what rightstuf is charging.

It's the same figure from the R2 set. Note that you can only get it with the R1 release if you order directly through BV's store.

www.dot-anime.us

Also, it'll come to $100, and I know this because despite claims to the otherwise, I broke down & pre-ordered :)

And, rightstuf has added the Bome Nono statue up for pre-order. They've got priority shipping for $5, and you get the 10% discount if you're a got anime member.

Edited by Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for reminding me of the release date. It figures I would finally find a download of it a mere month before release. It's been online for seven months too. Though I doubt I'll be able to pick up the limited no matter how much I want the figure, so I guess it balances out.

Exactly how it balences out. Though at the rate the torrents going, I'll be lucky if it's done by the first release. I'm prioritizing Gunbuster, as i can watch it without subs (my R0 set confirms this).

The site also the R1 release. I'm tempted to grab disc one to see about doing an audio swap if it's within my skill. KAA released a h.264 release of the R1, and they corrected the music.

Of other note, though I don't need the competition ^_^, I'd be remiss to not bring this up.

Broccoli is having a t-shirt design contest. Gunbuster only, no Diebuster allowed. No real rules other than that and the chevet that you're submitting a concept and the final shirt will use official art only (I wonder if screencaps count...). Contest ends on the fifth. Winner will supposedly be chosen by Gainax. Prize is five of your shirts. Shockingly, multiple entries allowed. I'm so spamming their e-mail with concepts. Figures that they'd do this when I'm going to be out of town for over a week between the 26th- the 3rd.

Win or lose, that means a Gunbuster shirt will be made in something larger than a US L. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
Kinda sad, my GF and I went over to a friend of hers house today and since he liked anime and I was in the mood to watch it I brought over my Gunbuster DVDs... but everyone there decided that it was the most boring thing they'd ever seen, after less then half the episode. :wacko:

And that is why they fail!

You should have pulled out DYRL, it never fails!!!post-3608-1194865976.gif

Actually, I also find Gunbuster's iconic appeal fairs better than the actual OVA. I love everything about it (the mechas, the characters, the whole Gainax/Anno attachment, the fan service...& so on) but I was never crazy about the OVA itself, I can't understand why.... :unsure:

Kinda sad, my GF and I went over to a friend of hers house today and since he liked anime and I was in the mood to watch it I brought over my Gunbuster DVDs... but everyone there decided that it was the most boring thing they'd ever seen, after less then half the episode. :wacko:

So your friends are all ADD? Should've started with an episode five teaser and then gone back to episode one. OR if you're feeling real evil get them to watch Wings of Honneamise. Great movie but it moves at a snails pace.