The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

I'm sure Gunbuster will be released on Blu-ray, but probably not in the states. Since HonnĂȘamise merged with Bandai Entertainment, the original OAV has fallen off the radar. The only version of Gunbuster available to the North American market is the DVD version released by Bandai Visual, which is now sadly out of print. I did pick up a spare volume just in the off chance my old ones broke. And chances are there may be another release, but after all the bitching done over the music editing on the first episode, I wonder...

I'm sure Gunbuster will be released on Blu-ray, but probably not in the states. Since HonnĂȘamise merged with Bandai Entertainment, the original OAV has fallen off the radar. The only version of Gunbuster available to the North American market is the DVD version released by Bandai Visual, which is now sadly out of print. I did pick up a spare volume just in the off chance my old ones broke. And chances are there may be another release, but after all the bitching done over the music editing on the first episode, I wonder...

Solution, Bandai visual "should" include the english subtitles with any Japanese bluray release, they'd be insane not to. Luckily, they do include subtitles whenver they re-release the Gundam movies.

• 2 weeks later...
<sigh>

Looks like I'll be buying Gunbuster again.

For the.... 5th time, in fact.

I'm not even kidding.

Makes me glad I never picked up the movies. My friend brought me a copy from his Australia trip, which essentially legalized the R2 rip I was downloading at the time. Which essentially got supplanted by a 720p rip. I can pick this up without worrying about double dipping. Though I still want that figure dammit. ^_^;;

Considering how old Gunbuster is, I wonder how it will look on BD.

Having the film in a 720p HDTV rip, I can tell you that it looks quite awesome.

Noriko, you wouldn't happen to still have that pic uncensored, would you? I missed the window. That was apparently another of the captain before hand.

In the UK the blu ray versions of the movies are up for pre-order in some online shops, so maybe the series would too. Usually shows get released first in the USA before the UK (or not at all) so maybe Bandai USA has got plans for it already.

Noriko, you wouldn't happen to still have that pic uncensored, would you? I missed the window. That was apparently another of the captain before hand.

Not sure if Noriko sent it to you yet, but if not, I just e-mailed it to your yahoo address.

Speaking of the Gainax front page art that has been around for the past few years, if anyone would like a complete collection of the fan art from both Gunbuster and Diebuster, let me know. I have all of them that are present up to now. I DO NOT HAVE EVERY FRONT PAGE IMAGE. JUST THE GUNBUSTER AND DIEBUSTER IMAGES.

Not sure if Noriko sent it to you yet, but if not, I just e-mailed it to your yahoo address.

Was about to post saying I didn't get it, but upon rereading, discovered the "Yahoo" part. I thought you'd sent it to my MSN account on file here, and that it blocked it. Makes sense I never got it, as I merely use that address for YIM, it was so overrun with spam...

Checking it, there it is. Thanks.

Looking things over, Yahoo's definitely cleaned up most of the spam, and someone used the e-mail for a Friendster account for whatever reason, which has been suspended. How odd.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Just got my set today, haven't watched it yet, but so far it already has a major advantage over the U.S. DVD release. The Bluray has a 3rd disc with what looks like all the extra's from the R2 DVD release. I'll check the disc in the morning to see if any of those extra's are subtitled. The packaging is also much nicer. Aside from the better picture of Nono on the front, the back of the box now has Amano & Larc.

Just checked, all the R2 extra's are there, and all except for the radio drama's are subtitled. Stranger yet still, the only way to get to the radio drama's is to select Japanese menu's at the first load screen.

Just got my set today, haven't watched it yet, but so far it already has a major advantage over the U.S. DVD release. The Bluray has a 3rd disc with what looks like all the extra's from the R2 DVD release. I'll check the disc in the morning to see if any of those extra's are subtitled. The packaging is also much nicer. Aside from the better picture of Nono on the front, the back of the box now has Amano & Larc.

Forget that, Diebuster's always had the good boxart. ^_^;; Have they improved the rather lame Gunbuster art? Watching a preview ripped from Macross F 4 (which can be had here for those interested: http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=41087), the art of Noriko still isn't that great, but at least it doesn't look like she's getting socked in the face any more. [EDIT] The digital bits revealed that the discs use the same awesome art for Diebuster, and okay, yet badly offmodel art for Gunbuster. Ho-hum. At least the box is better, if still blatently Nono biased. [/edit]

Also, is the Gunbuster video as mildly grainy as the CM? I don't remember the HDTV rip as such, but the subbers might have filtered it, as I do remember mild grain on the DVD. Though at least it's the good grain and not the DYRL nightmare.

Odd about the radio drama. What sort of R2 extras are we talking here?

Speaking of the 720, here's the preview pics for those curious. http://www.thoranime.org/?p=26

Of interesting developments, anyone else notice that Amazon says it's not for sale any more?

hm the 720 looks pretty grainy to me. did they restore it for the new discs?

It's the same restoration as the DVD, I believe. The DVD had a fair amount of grain in some spots, but it was of expected levels. Nothing insane like DYRL. Though keep in mind that it's a HDTV rip, which is of lower bitrate, and may augment any flaws. I'm sure it was filtered a bit too. Though that's about right for a film based movie. The preview was considerably grainier than those screencaps, but again, of the level one would expect for such a production. Good grain, as it's called

Whens this street anyway? DB has it as today, everyone else claims in two weeks. Maybe I'll set it up for christmas.

The Gunbuster video is a bit on the grainy side, but thats to be expected with its age. Mind you I don't have an HD TV so, but it sill looks good through component.

As for the extras, the first is a press event featuring cast & crew about the release. The next is a doc about the making of & new recording sessions. T he third is the trailer, & the last is audio spots & an audio "what if" Nono & Noriko met. But that is the untranslated stuff.

Actually found a 720p rip already (though after I get it, I find a 1080p raw. As an ownder of a 1920x1200 laptop, I must once again be frustrated at the plethora of 720p Bluray rips. I'd get it, as I don't need subs, but it needs a dual layer, and I'll probably just get the Bluray anyway). One interesting thing here is the inclusion of some sort of commentary track featuring, of all people, Maaya Sakamoto and Yukari Fukui. It seems odd to have two Diebuster members commenting on a show they're not actually part of, which makes me think they either said "screw it" or the rippers put it with the wrong video (though i can hear Gunbuster in the background upon listening further, so I guess that's out, no fansubber's that incompetent these days). No subs for it are included, making it pretty much worthless. I had not heard of such an extra on the DVD, so I assume it's for the bluray? Is it on the US, or is this a Japanese thing. The lack of subs suggests the latter (particular since so many of these movie rips tend to be hybreds [Japanese video, american audio, subs]). They spend most of the time laughing at each other throughout. Though balance returns with the surprise entrance of

Norio Wakamoto

about halfway through.

Also, one guy on eBay's selling the set for a ridiculous 35 bucks. His feedback suggests it might be legit, but it seems to low to be true.

Also, anyone get one of the Wave Norikos? I can only find them on eBay for about 30 now, though usually from Hong Kong. I'm weary of buying from sellers there with all the toy bootlegs around.

I have the BOME Noriko which is a much better sculpt than the Wave IMHO. I can still find these at my local comic shop. The are very good, pretty large, and not terribly expensive. I think I paid about $25 for mine. I also have the BOME Nono. $30 for the Wave Noriko seems like a good deal. IRC I used to see them for around $40. I wish Revoltech would do a Fraulein series of the Gunbuster 1 and 2 characters.

Check this out. They are only $16.99 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Monsieur-Bome-Gunbus...n/dp/B000LX8NTQ

I have the BOME Noriko which is a much better sculpt than the Wave IMHO. I can still find these at my local comic shop. The are very good, pretty large, and not terribly expensive. I think I paid about $25 for mine. I also have the BOME Nono. $30 for the Wave Noriko seems like a good deal. IRC I used to see them for around $40. I wish Revoltech would do a Fraulein series of the Gunbuster 1 and 2 characters.

Check this out. They are only $16.99 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Monsieur-Bome-Gunbus...n/dp/B000LX8NTQ

Thanks, but I've owned the Bome for over a year now. ^_^ Besides, they're plentiful, as you say. The Wave isn't, and good luck on the Koto. I lucked out find the one shop (ONE) at AX '06 that had her. I want the Wave as it's the only one I don't have, but wonder if it's safe to go to HK to get her. The Koto is my favorite of the bunch. I still need the Nono, but there's no rush on her.

Forget a Revoltech, is it too much to ask for a nice Kazumi, or even a Jung? Noriko's my favorite, but I'd like the other two in more than three inches height.

Thanks for the link though. I never knew Amazon sold this stuff. Probably because I don't shop there (makes me, what, one of three?). 90 bucks for the Eva-01 DX I bought years ago for $30. The one that didn't even come with a Kaworu. Wow. Just Wow.

Yeah, I really like the Kotobukiya one because it has the Excelion on the base. I wish I had one. I passed on the Wave one several times at comic shops and conventions. I'm not really a completist type of collector. However, since there is relatively little Gunbuster merchandise compared with other anime I suppose it's not hard to be a completist IMO.

My favorite Gunbuster items I have:

BOME Noriko

BOME Nono

Both Kaiyodo Gunbusters

SOC Gunbuster

A partial set of the 1st One Coin series

A set of the Gunbuster 1.5 One Coin (with the secret topless Nono doing the super lightning kick)

General Products Complete Gunbuster book

FYI, you can pre-order from Hobby Fan as it seems they are getting ready to release again on the 28th of Dec. That way you can feel more confident that it's not a bootleg.

http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.php?products_id=5311

I agree that I wish they made all the characters the same as Noriko in a BOME version or any other large scale version. I would really love to have a complete set of the 1st Gunbuster One Coin set. Of the 1st series I have Noriko's and Amano's RX trainer, an Amano, Sizzler Black and White.

If you are interested in a Nono someday I might suggest the BOME and/or the Bandai one. The Bandai one has opening missle pods on her legs and a couple of different hair positions. I'm not sure on the scale though. It appears to be smaller than the BOME.

Check it out:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10052409

Yeah, I really like the Kotobukiya one because it has the Excelion on the base. I wish I had one. I passed on the Wave one several times at comic shops and conventions. I'm not really a completist type of collector. However, since there is relatively little Gunbuster merchandise compared with other anime I suppose it's not hard to be a completist IMO.

Nope, not hard at all, provided you can track them down. I've never seen it in person.

My collection is as follows:

Kotobukiya Noriko

BOME Noriko

Second Kaiyodo Gunbuster (complete with loose leg joint developing mere minutes out of package)

SOC Gunbuster

A complete set of the 1st One Coin series minus Sizzle Black/Silver

A two of the Gunbuster 1.5 One Coin (Dix-inuf and the secret topless Nono doing the super lightning kick [i at least want all the Gunbuster ones])

Buster machine 7 mini figure

Nono maid mini figure

one pack of Cardass Masters

Gunbuster Film book 1

R4 Gunbuster Movie DVD (though disc replaced with R2 rip)

R0 DVD signed by Yamaga

USR set signed by Yamaga and Maria Kawamura

Noriko Sketch by Fumoi Iida.

FYI, you can pre-order from Hobby Fan as it seems they are getting ready to release again on the 28th of Dec. That way you can feel more confident that it's not a bootleg.

http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.php?products_id=5311

You are aware that Hobby Fan specializes in garage kit recasts, right? ^_^ Though thanks for the info, I'll think it over.

I agree that I wish they made all the characters the same as Noriko in a BOME version or any other large scale version. I would really love to have a complete set of the 1st Gunbuster One Coin set. Of the 1st series I have Noriko's and Amano's RX trainer, an Amano, Sizzler Black and White.

If you are interested in a Nono someday I might suggest the BOME and/or the Bandai one. The Bandai one has opening missle pods on her legs and a couple of different hair positions. I'm not sure on the scale though. It appears to be smaller than the BOME.

Check it out:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10052409

Aren't those really about the only ones outside of kits? I have a three small Nonos as detailed as above. I'm just not that big of a Diebuster fan. Besides, anymore, and she'd outnumber Noriko. Can't let that happen. :lol:

You are aware that Hobby Fan specializes in garage kit recasts, right? ^_^ Though thanks for the info, I'll think it over.

Actually, I didn't realize that. I never bought anything from them. I did notice they do sell garage kits, but I figured the pre-painted ones were the originals. The "genuine product imported from Japan" stuff is really misleading then. I suppose that technically it's made and then imported from Japan and that it's "genuine" only in the sense that it comes from Japan. Now it makes sense that they would be selling it while other places have it as discontinued. It doesn't seem like such a good deal at $40 since that's about what the original went for.

Edited by sharky

Actually, I didn't realize that. I never bought anything from them. I did notice they do sell garage kits, but I figured the pre-painted ones were the originals. The "genuine product imported from Japan" stuff is really misleading then. I suppose that technically it's made and then imported from Japan and that it's "genuine" only in the sense that it comes from Japan. Now it makes sense that they would be selling it while other places have it as discontinued. It doesn't seem like such a good deal at $40 since that's about what the original went for.

Ah, you misinterpret me slightly. I'm sure it is legit since they go so far as to make the claim (you'd have to be retarded not to realise how much more trouble you'd get in if you sold boots AND lied about them). But they do sell recasts on their kits. Which is fairly common. Howe else do you think they can sell a 600 dollar conversion kit for a mere 75 bucks? So my point is that they do sell knockoffs, but I'm sure the prepainted stuff is fine.

I've always wondered how long a wait it would be to order the storyboard set on HLJ. It's listed out of stock, and I know Gainax still makes them (they brought them to Fanime one year, and i was broke by the time I learned of the fact.)

Dejr8bud, that's exactly the seller I mentioned earlier. Let us know, please.

I've always wondered how long a wait it would be to order the storyboard set on HLJ. It's listed out of stock, and I know Gainax still makes them (they brought them to Fanime one year, and i was broke by the time I learned of the fact.)

You should just go ahead and order it if you want it. I think if you order it, they will then put in their order to bring it in to their warehouse. At that point you will probably know how soon. If you are certain that it is still actively being published it probably will not take a short time to get it.

ok gunbuster guru's. I need some advice as to which bluray editions of gunbuster and daibuster to get. But have a few questions and don't have time to read 41 pages for the answers.

1. Is that anything new to the GB vs DB Gattai movie or is it just the OVA's?

2. Are the US releases the best subbed releases to get? I see that they are currently like $26 on amazon.

3. Is bandai ever going to release a dub?

4. Is there any new stuff on extras disks?

I already have these via DL in both 720p and 1080i...is it worth my cash to get the real discs or are THORA's rip/subs just as good?

Thanks.

ok gunbuster guru's. I need some advice as to which bluray editions of gunbuster and daibuster to get. But have a few questions and don't have time to read 41 pages for the answers.

Why you lazy... Well, cant be helped I guess. ^_^ Though Blu ray info is rather recent. There's only one blu ray edition. You can either get them seperately, or together with a bonus disc.

1. Is that anything new to the GB vs DB Gattai movie or is it just the OVA's?

I assume you mean what they did for the films right? Gunbuster is a heavily edited version of the first 4 episodes and the complete last two with a new foley track and new Japanese dub with the original actors. Diebuster is also condensed with a little bit of new footage.

2. Are the US releases the best subbed releases to get? I see that they are currently like $26 on amazon.

As far as I know, yes. Purchase wise at least. If you're talking the OAVs, they missed with Gunbuster episode one, and there's a limited, subless version where this isn't so, and contains more extras. KAA's release also corrects this offense.

3. Is bandai ever going to release a dub?

No. The original foley tracks were lost in a fire, and would require new recordings, like for the film version. That, and it's an obscure enough title that a dub would probably not boost sales enough to warrent the cost. Besides, you have an extraordinary cast in the original, so why would you. B))

4. Is there any new stuff on extras disks?

That I leave to Keith to answer, since he appears to be the only one to have it. Though I believe he said the Blu ray contains the extra disc that was omitted from the DVD release. I do have a rip with a mysterious audio commentary.

I already have these via DL in both 720p and 1080i...is it worth my cash to get the real discs or are THORA's rip/subs just as good?

Any show you enjoy is worth supporting the creators for. Plus the actual disc is 1080p. Progressive is a big enough deal. I have rips too, but I still prefer having a solid, proffessional copy over a silver disc marked with sharpie. Not to mention that it's considerably less compressed and not sourced from a comparably low bitrated TV feed.

Any news, Bandit?