Official Transformers Super Thread 3

I doubt they spent that much time and money just as diversions...

PS--remember the much-maligned "techno-gorilla" Starscream drawing? Then Bay said "that's just some early concept art, the real things aren't like that, don't worry". Well, that concept art looks more like the real thing than anything else so far. :p

Thanks for the pics

I like them. Those complex transformations are going to be fun to watch.

Hollywood can't make a decent movie these days so at least I want to see some cool transformations (the few of them the movie will have if there are so many fleshy bots running around).

Guess if you are an alien species of sentient robots you can have enough technology to have more complex disguises than shifting boxes.

Poor Hasbro though; very difficult to nail those designs in little toy form.

If a high quality version of that Decepticon chopper could be possible, I’d sure buy it.

IMO the toys look better than the CG they will be using for the movie, if these are true pics. I don't like skeletal robots. They would look better if they were skeletal underneath more solid forms.

I'm pretty dissapointed :( I doubt those are ploys to make ppl pissed then over joyed when the movie comes out and it's intirely different.

The thing that makes me mad the most is that you wouldn't have a clue those are the characters (cept for prime) unless the name was attatched to it.

I mean damn they couldn't even keep the headstyles right.....they look like insects or reject live action movie Guyver monster head shots.

I was just playing around with how this would look but I would prefer solid parts instead of all these little parts exposed.

post-2880-1156012377_thumb.jpg

wow... now those are really logical & feasable transformations <_<

what the hell were they smoking when they thought these designs were a good idea?

did they just pick up guys that know how to use a 3d program for these designs?

cg transformation magic... LAME

sure, i can appreciate the bot designs, but NOT as transformers.

Seriously, if they were able to use the designs from Alternators/Binaltech/Masterpiece, they would have had modern vehicles that looked good in both modes, looked believable, and paid homage to G1. Too bad.

Many of us here have been exposed to 20+ years of greatly designed transforming and non-transforming robots/mecha. Those designs for the movie are ridiculous.

Edited by sh002

I don't like these at all, and not because I'm a TF purist or anything. I'm accepting of change with TFs, as long as the bot modes look good and are aesthetically pleasing, but these things are beyond believeable. There is no way, outside of CG magic, that real-life vehicles could morph into the giant jumble of tiny fragments that those things are. On top of that, I just simply don't find them visually appealing. They look more like McFarlane designs (Interlink) or Bionicles than the transforming bots I've grown to love, which include but is not limited to TF. It's funny, they wanted to stay away from mass displacement ala Soundwave, but they choose to use designs that are equally outlandish and impossible. At a glance all of the characters so far look the same to me so the characters ar fairly interchangable.

Props for wanting to try a new approach, but a big resounding BOOOOOO to the final product.

Edited by eriku

Now I know why Bay wanted to keep people from seeing the bots until the movie was released, because now I have no interest in seeing this film. I was cautiously optimistic up to this point (even though I was worried by the rumors I was hearing), but this is like spitting in my eye. He hasn't "reimagined" G1, he's butchered the living hell out of it with these Bionicle figures. Even signing Peter Cullen can't bring me to the theater to watch this man single handledly destroy some of my most treasured childhood memories.

It's kind of funny that in the 80's the animated bots had to be over simplified because it would be tedious/difficult to animate figures with so much detail. Whereas now, the toys have to be simplified because you can't make a decent toy with that many small moving parts.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by mister_e

that starscream is a toy look at the legs it has screws in it. would they have screws exposed. in a model for a movie even if it is just a desk model?

the only thing that seems to be consistant is the bumblebee and prime.

and remember when enterprise came out there was a "fake ship" picture that was released. it looked more organic then the enterprise that looked like the akirsa class ship

Edited by buddhafabio

Hey, looks like Western Design values have screwed up Transformers! What do the fans think?

From here.

"Oh great Matrix...

We need your help, My dream movie is being destroyed by the Powers That Be. They have given us Flames, Gorilla-Bots, Robot's with no face or mouth. Robots with Spindly Chicken Legs, Long Arms. There is a Blackout and Barricade?? Toy companies are trying to throw there new toys in our face. We have been LIED to. We were promised a G1 movie which was a farce.

This is our Darkest Hour....help..."

Wow. Lots of news on the movie in the last 2 days. Pics make the TF characters look way too organic, almost Beast Wars-like. A shame. I thought the movie producers were going for a G1 homage look? More like a re-imaging to me.

<_<

It'll be interesting to see the movie-tie-in toy line that will inevitably get produced.

:ph34r:

You know going by those toy pictures those are actually what I expect a live action version with CGI to look like. I mean come if they are going for a look as if they existed in the real world I doubt we'd get the versions we are used to. I knew some change had to be done and I really doubt we are going to get the exact action seen in the comics and cartoons. How would an alien race of robots actually design themselves?

I say go for the more complex design to see how it works (toys can be made to reflect the look, not like you have to tone a toy down on detail (which might have been the case years ago).

The animation seeing them transform, better be detailed, will be pretty amazing on it's own.

I'm still trying to hold my final opinion on these designs until I see them in action in a trailer though. What will make or break things I think is how they actually appear in motion and in actual action scenes I feel. If that's well done enough I think people will overlook the different designs.

Edited by Effect

Well, its a concept, one out of hundreds, maybe thousands. Even a final design would go through changes during post production.

Either way, that sort of design is kind of physically impossible to turn into a functional toy, methinks. Hasbro wouldn't let them do that being the license owner and merchandiser :p

Is cwmodels jerking us around or what? I'm rather annoyed since that second one looks even more amatuerish which leads me to believe this is a hoax.

Okay...

Edited by cwmodels

If anybody is interested, Remy uploaded a gallery of Classics Optimus Prime. Now there's an Optimus Prime.

Wow.  Lots of news on the movie in the last 2 days.  Pics make the TF characters look way too organic, almost Beast Wars-like.

426498[/snapback]

Naw - if you study BW closely you'll see many of the bots (particularly ones from the early years) were still using the same design features and styles as previous Transformers. These designs are closer to the cancelled Transtech line, whose concept art by Draxhall Jump were rather alien.

As usual, Hasbro and Takara's toy interpretations simplified and 'transformerized' them.

Well, its a concept, one out of hundreds, maybe thousands. Even a final design would go  through changes during post production.

Either way, that sort of design is kind of physically impossible to turn into a functional toy, methinks. Hasbro wouldn't let them do that being the license owner and merchandiser :p

Is cwmodels jerking us around or what? I'm rather annoyed since that second one looks even more amatuerish which leads me to believe this is a hoax.

Okay...

426586[/snapback]

Ahh yes, quoting out of context.

Well, I'm sorry I didn't believe you when you posted those pics with nary an explanation before, during or afterwards. A little context then and there would have helped those of us scratching our heads :(

Edited by Fit For Natalie

If anybody is interested, Remy uploaded a gallery of Classics Optimus Prime. Now there's an Optimus Prime.

Looks great, aside from that arm kibble which I'm sure I'll get used to. The smokestack guns aren't really doing it for me either, but oh well. The first thing I'm doing with mine is painting his head crest silver (WHY is it yellow?) and removing that yellow from his forearms.

If I got that, I would be tempted to drill some bores into the double barreled weapon. He looks a bit daft sticking that in your face.

Very nice toy. Excellent line. I initially thought that red top was a shield, but I love how it folds into a powerful rifle.

Edited by kensei

Yellow has replaced silver/chrome as the accent color of choice on TF's lately. Especially Prime.

You know, amber works well on Prime due to all the bullet lights, turn signals, etc in truck mode. And it's not nearly as garish. But when they use bright yellow instead of amber:

A. It looks bad/unrealistic/cheap. Vehicles have amber lights, not yellow. And "cheap yellow paint" is the #1 way to identify knockoffs of a lot of toys.

B. It encourages them to use that paint as accents everywhere.

PS--that is the worst yellow I've ever seen on a toy, period. There are shades of yellow out there asides from "pale, ugly, nigh-pastel" for giant robots. See Roy's VF's! Deep yellow can look really good, pale yellow doesn't look good on anything, ever. It just screams "cheap toy" since that's the only thing in the world pale yellow is ever used on.

'Yellow paint/plastic is cheap-looking' collector mentality is a pet peeve of mine. Same with the description of any non-dark colour as 'neon', 'baby' or 'girly'.

Besides, in the world of kids toys, amber (in this case) is too close a colour to his predominant red.

Yellow isn't the problem, PALE yellow is the problem. Did you see my Roy's valk comment? The Jolly Rogers do not have a cheap-looking yellow. Nor do the Blue Angels. Nor Sunstreaker. Even McDonald's. It is quite possible to just have normal, rich yellow. But most toy companies don't seem to have it. Yamato's about the only one it seems (and even theirs is still too pale). But for some reason, Hasbro especially, toy companies seem to only ever use the most pale, sickly-looking yellow money can buy. And it looks bad on everything, regardless of context. (I do believe its a cost issue--ever since lead was banned from paint, white and yellow have had problems---the only good yellow pigment is lead chromate, and it was cheap--now that it's gone,

getting a decent yellow costs more. Probably add .008 cents to the cost of the average toy. When I say "cheap yellow" I'm being quite literal)

FYI, the yellow used by the Jolly Rogers, and thus Roy in a way, is specified that it should always match lead-pigmented yellow. No "cheap pale yellow" on the commander's plane...

Also, amber isn't at all too close to red. Go look at MP Prime. Amber works, because he's a truck, and trucks have amber lights all over. Depending on how many runnning lights, it can run into the hundreds. When's the last time you saw a vehicle with pastel yellow turn signals or marker lamps? Amber=accent color of every vehicle on the planet, regardless of what side of the road it drives on. Plenty of amber on G1 toys that I can remember. Not much pale yellow, besides stickers and Prime's eyes, ironically. (Sunstreaker is a DEEP yellow) (Though my collection was about 95% Decepticon, so I didn't have that many cars--lots of planes though)

And if amber/red doesn't work for kid's toys, what about the zillion "flame" toys? Almost every single line has a "fire/flaming" character or version of the main character. Many similar shades of yellow/orange/red.

PS--anyone else sorta annoyed that there's a bunch of new shots of MP Starscream already from Chara Hobby, but we're still scrounging for YF-19 shots? "Wow, 20 news shots of MP SS from the exact same angles and pose we've already seen". Though I did notice the it looks like the wing transformation is quite different than I thought. It almost seems like the root flips 180, but then the rest of the wing angles out from the root on a sliding hinge.

Edited by David Hingtgen