30th Anniversary Exhibit NEWS - Talk

dreadpyrat

I dont know where else to put this so I'll just drop it here. Mods, feel free to relocate..

Found some news about the 30th Anniversary Event, including a 1/1 Messiah!!

"The Macross 30th anniversary projects website announced on Friday that a 1/1-scale model of a VF-25F Messiah Valkyrie variable fighter (in the intermediate GERWALK mode) will appear at the 30th Anniversary Macross Super Dimension Exhibition ~Valkyrie de Sasotte!~ event from April 28 to May 6. The website also announced that a real-life Miss Macross 30″ contest, a stage musical with new material, and a museum display of the franchises designs are being planned.

The 30th Anniversary exhibition will take place at the Sunshine City complex in Tokyos Ikebukuro district from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The Super Dimension Fortress Macross television series the first anime in the Macross franchise premiered in 1982, and this year marks the mecha franchises 30th anniversary.

The exhibition will also feature a recreation of the concert scenes of the Macross Frontier characters Sheryl Nome and Ranka Lee, as well as a legendary songstress. Cosplay will be allowed at the exhibition, but there will be a 500-yen (about US$6) fee to use a provided changing room. A variety of commemorative goods will also be available for purchase at the event.

Regular advance tickets will go on sale on March 17 and cost 1,000 yen (about US$12), while admission will cost 1,300 yen (US$16) at the door. A commemorative towel will be bundled with advance and at-the-door tickets sold for 2,000 yen (US$24) and 2,300 yen (US$28), respectively. All attendees will also receive a commemorative neck strap.

The separate Macross 30th Anniversary Exhibition Macross: The Design exhibit will feature Macross art from Minmay to Sheryl and Ranka from April 26 to May 13 at the Shibuya Parco art gallery in Tokyo. More information on the planned Macross stage musical and the Miss Macross 30″ contest will be available on the website next Friday.

The 1:1 VF-25 is interesting, but I find myself quite unexcited by all the other 30th anniversery activities announced so far.

I mean a stage musical and a Miss Macross contest.....yawn! <_<

I was hoping for an announcement of at least a new OVA.

Graham

From Macross Mecha Manual:

Equipment Type: variable fighter

Government: Strategic Military Services (SMS)

Manufacturer: Shinsei Industry/Macross Frontier Arsenal Original Development/L.A.I.

Introduction: 2057.

Operational Deployment: 2059.

Accommodation: pilot plus passenger

Dimensions:

• Battroid Mode: height 15.59 meters (includes beam guns); 14.53 meters (without beam guns).
  • Fighter Mode: wingspan 15.5 (fully extended); height 4.03 meters; length 18.72 meters.
  • GERWALK Mode: unknown.
    Mass: empty 8.45 metric tons.
    Structure: assumed space metal frame, SWAG energy converting armor
    Power Plant: two Shinsei Industry/ P&W/ RR FF-3001A Stage II thermonuclear reaction turbine engines.
    Propulsion: 2 x 1,620 kN (maximum thrust in space); many x P&W HMM-9 High maneuverability thrusters

GERWALK Mode: unknown ? :huh:

ed: all I know is, somebody get pics, da**it! I wonder what they'll use for construction? a steel "skeleton" with fiberglass exterior panels?

just think of it, in all its glory....

vf-25f-gerwalk_small.gif

Edited by reddsun1

The 1:1 VF-25 is interesting, but I find myself quite unexcited by all the other 30th anniversery activities announced so far.

I mean a stage musical and a Miss Macross contest.....yawn! <_<

I was hoping for an announcement of at least a new OVA.

Graham

This.

Maybe they're saving the best for last? I'm still hoping for a new production announcement.

Well in Battroid mode it's about half leg like most Valkyries so it'll be roughly 8-9 meters in height in Gerwalk mode.

What if it transforms in the middle of the event to the battroid mode!?

3dgy3.png

Nerd dreams...

Edited by charger69

I don't know, I'd be pretty excited about a Miss Macross competition, and the stage events. Looking to go, too. :blink:

If they let the guys participate and they sing some Fire Bomber, you might have a good show. IF they sound good.

I'm interested in the 1/1 Valk, but it's a shame it's a VF-25 and not a VF-1.

As for the exhibition itself, I wonder what items of value it would actually have. Maybe original design sketches? Because we at Meiji Uni actually own quite a lot of the original pencil drawings by Kawamori, Miyatake and Itano, hehe.... :p

+1 <_<

Because we at Meiji Uni actually own quite a lot of the original pencil drawings by Kawamori, Miyatake and Itano, hehe.... :p

you show off...I saw that video you posted a few months back... B))

They should have asked for the front half of a scrapped F-14, give them a nice head-start on a VF-1...

You of all people would never forgive them for doing that and you know it.... :p

you show off...I saw that video you posted a few months back... B))

? Which one? :unsure:

I was discussing this with a friend and he had suggested that unlike the RX-78 Gundam, which also received its own full sized statue, the VF-1 isn't known for being heavily redesigned to fit modern trends in mechanical design. By contrast, the RX-78 was created by Okawara, redesigned by Katoki, redesigned again by Okawara, altered for several different plastic model kits of various sizes, etc etc. So when it came time to make the full sized statue, there was more leeway in designing it so that it did not look like a gigantic cartoon character. So many things about the statue likes the joints, panels, and markings are far more intricate and detailed than any previous incarnation. If I recall, Tomino himself was particular about choosing the colors so that it would "look real" :3

So the VF-25 has the advantage of being more detailed from the start and realized as a three dimensional object in its base design so there's much less to argue over in terms of proportions XD

Hopefully it will be robust enough like the Gundam so it can travel around a bit. Imagine it being used at Macross music shows as a big stage prop.

I do have to wonder though, if possibly the VF-1 isn't necessarily iconic in and of itself. Considering the sheer variety of Valkyries so the idea of Gerwalk mode is more universally appealing as it is one of the most recognizable parts of the series.

That’s a fair point. I guess that’d depend on what kind of public the exhibit is aimed at. If the attendees were mostly hardcore fans I think the VF-1 would probably be more iconic. But as the exhibit is most surely addressed to old/new fans + curious people I guess the option VF-25 + iconic gerwalk mode is probably a safer choice.

From my understanding the hardcore fans love a lot more than just the VF-1. It's not like in the west where we had so little to choose from for so long :3

Although the number of VF-1 variant skews its popularity just a tad.

I was considering the nostalgic factor when I said hardcore fans could be pleased with a VF-1. But as it’s true that they love a lot more than just that, I believe the VF-25 choice will please everybody.

And not to mention it will clearly show that the franchise is alive and all these 30 years haven’t passed in vain.