New Macross 1/1 DYRL helmets

Jasonc

Just FYI those sizes are way off from the Standard Helmets in the US.

The standard for medium is 24.01 to 24.45 inches.

So go two sizes up for them if you plan on wearing one.

Masei is a great company I think they are really dot approved.

I'd want more then a thought when putting my life in my hands. Edited by skullmilitia

Guess Ive gotta chime in when it comes to vehicle safety.

The only safety standard I've known to be of high assurance is the UNECE WP29 (a UN body that regulate safety standards on vehicle parts, you can google it) with 'e1' marking.

The number following the 'e' marking denotes the country in which the certification was issued (and where it was tested). 'e1' = Germany, is the hardest to pass among all the countries that are involved in the program.

I don't understand. Why should I care about the sizes of the Standard Helmets in the US? If my head measures 22.5 inches and that corresponds to a M according to their Size Chart why should I buy an XL?

I don't understand. Why should I care about the sizes of the Standard Helmets in the US? If my head measures 22.5 inches and that corresponds to a M according to their Size Chart why should I buy an XL?

Because most people don't actually check their measurements.

Guess Ive gotta chime in when it comes to vehicle safety.

The only safety standard I've known to be of high assurance is the UNECE WP29 (a UN body that regulate safety standards on vehicle parts, you can google it) with 'e1' marking.

The number following the 'e' marking denotes the country in which the certification was issued (and where it was tested). 'e1' = Germany, is the hardest to pass among all the countries that are involved in the program.

With Motosports helmet there's only 3 you need to know.

DOT which is only certified by the manufacturer.

ECE which is the European standard, but Helmets are tested before allowing that cert

SNELL which is tested by a 3rd party group, only the highest end get this.

The problem with DOT is, anyone can stamp it in a helmet. The Department of Transportation has to test a sample (randomly)

And only then if it fails, the manufacturer gets fined, but the helmets already sold are being used on someone's head.

I'd want more then a thought when putting my life in my hands.

Not sure what helmets you are looking at, as those are typical sizes for motorcycle helmets - right in line with all of the other major manufacturers (Shoei, Arai, HJC, etc.)

With Motosports helmet there's only 3 you need to know.

DOT which is only certified by the manufacturer.

ECE which is the European standard, but Helmets are tested before allowing that cert

SNELL which is tested by a 3rd party group, only the highest end get this.

The problem with DOT is, anyone can stamp it in a helmet. The Department of Transportation has to test a sample (randomly)

And only then if it fails, the manufacturer gets fined, but the helmets already sold are being used on someone's head.

Oh, my bad. I thought they test all vehicle parts including helmets but I guess not.

Their Helmets remind me a lot of the Helmets that I can buy at Don Quijote here or similar stores. Personally I would never wear an Open Face or Beanie Helmet, for material fibreglass or better.

ECE or Snell certified helmets only for me, highest standards are Germany and France any EU certified Helmet covers those.

Edited by CrazyDude

Their Helmets remind me a lot of the Helmets that I can buy at Don Quijote here or similar stores. Personally I would never wear an Open Face or Beanie Helmet, for material fibreglass or better.

ECE or Snell certified helmets only for me, highest standards are Germany and France any EU certified Helmet covers those.

for ECE, look for "e1" markings for Germany (highest standard and hardest to pass)

I forgot which country is the easiest to pass (lowest standard) because they want money and testing doesnt come cheap..its somewhere in Europe but cant recall it from the back of my mind (could be Luxembourg)..been too long a go since I was involved in a certification project.

Not sure what helmets you are looking at, as those are typical sizes for motorcycle helmets - right in line with all of the other major manufacturers (Shoei, Arai, HJC, etc.)

I just bought a new Helmet and checked out everyone's sizing and HJC, KBC, Bilt, AGV, Arai, Icon, Shark and Shoei are all with in a few tenths of an inch in sizing. Compared to Masei which is off by 2 inches. That's pretty ridiculous. Then again I don't buy helmets I can't fit first.

It's fine if it's gonna sit in your display case, I wouldn't be betting on impact performance.

It'll be hard to transform the newest valks when your a vegetable because your impractical Chinese helmet didn't

Live up to even the lowest standards.

I just bought a new Helmet and checked out everyone's sizing and HJC, KBC, Bilt, AGV, Arai, Icon, Shark and Shoei are all with in a few tenths of an inch in sizing. Compared to Masei which is off by 2 inches. That's pretty ridiculous. Then again I don't buy helmets I can't fit first.

So you're saying that you've physically measured the inside of representative samples of the aforementioned brands, including Masei? Because again, the published sizing charts are all in agreement. As I don't know of anybody around here that carries Masei, I can't go see for myself, but all of the other brands do line up with one another, and all provide the same sizing charts.

ETA - I'm not trying to be antagonistic; if you've actually been able to try out some Masei helmets firsthand and have compared them to the others yourself, great... But your comment about a standard Medium being a 24" is just plain wrong; the major players all publish virtually the same sizing chart, right in line with Masei there. My firsthand experience says that the published measurements are indeed pretty close - I have a 60cm head, and do take a large in those other major brands. The Masei helmets might not fit their sizing, perhaps running one or more sizes askew, but that doesn't mean that the other brands are actually that big. (61cm for a medium? No, I don't think so.)

It's fine if it's gonna sit in your display case, I wouldn't be betting on impact performance.

It'll be hard to transform the newest valks when your a vegetable because your impractical Chinese helmet didn't

Live up to even the lowest standards.

I myself am partial to Shoei.

Edited by Cdr Fokker

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the pictures of new updates of Macross Helmets from Masei Helmet... and the ETA is around July/August..

They said it is the final revision and ready to manufacture them

for more details and information, please email to sales@maseihelmets.com

DOT & ECE approved!

2634868.jpg

2412655_orig.jpg

4229000_orig.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We still haven't been told if the shield is removable.

can be removed... there are 3 button on top... but need to remove the lower part first before remove the shield.

For more information, please contact to masei_helmet @ hotmail com

Iron-Man DOT & ECE Helmet for motorcycle riding too by Masei Helmet.. like Macross Helmet with building on a DOT & ECE approved 610 Open Face helmet.

0maseiironmanhelmet0003.jpg

Edited by colonknight

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, eagerly awaiting the email from Masei in August. Helmets done, pay balance and we'll ship it to you... Just need the shipping address and it'll be on the way...I'll have the biggest smile on my face for weeks, waiting for that box to arrive when I get that email. I do wish that the visor were longer (more like the DYRL version), but obviously, to make them usable on a bike, they can't do that (wind resistance and all). But seeing as I don't ride a bike anyway (will be displaying them on my bookcase only, filled with my other anime figures and such, it'd be nicer to have it closer to the DYRL version).

Then again, the helmets with the shorter visor does look closer to the Macross TV series so It's not bad at all (really nice sculpting on the other parts). And just knowing that the helmets are DOT and ECE approved, is a nice bonus if I ever do decide to learn to ride (I've always wanted to). And knowing that the helmets are sturdy, and will be able to protect my noggin in the inevitable zombie uprising is an even bigger bonus :p .

Basically, it's still a WAY better option than paying $700 to $1,200 for a Yamato replica helmet (if you can even find one, I've searched for 5 years and only seen 3 on ebay during that time). Can't wait, wake me when it's August.

P.S. Make mine with NO VENT HOLES.

Edited by ashuram

• 1 month later...