What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

After being with the Satelight people at AX, I'm finally picking up Aquarion again, in order to get all caught up and watching the new series. Ten episodes into the first series, and it's pretty good.

Edited by Gubaba

Just saw the first ep of Aquarion Logos. That EVOL epilogue was amazing, but very not sure how the actual Logos story is gonna fit in. I honestly just want a first version of events Aquarion prequel, and I don't see how the Kanji busting os gonna lead there.

Did anyone see the Aquarion OVA / Movie? Was it a retelling of the first series? Or the 12,000 year cycle that occured between the first series & EVOL?

Never mind, just looked it up. Wish someone would license that version.

Edited by Keith

• 4 weeks later...

This season has been pretty disappointing so far (dropped 2/3 of what I started watching), so I've gotten the chance to finally finish Armored Trooper Votoms which had been sitting on my shelf for an eternity. Not a bad series, although the last 'cosmic' arc didn't really fit in IMO. Cosmic stuff like that is best left to Ideon.

Started watching Gate because the premise sounded alot like David Weber's Multiverse series. It's not. Caught up on the manga and it's like a harem anime but without everyone being in love with the main character.

Yeah, but Gate is fun all the same for me. I had a friend in college who ran a pen and paper campaign that mixed technology and fantasy together. I can count the series that I've seen that remind me of those nostalgic days on one hand. It's a rare thing, but it's still nice to see it in practice.

I think I'll continue with the anime and avoid spoiling myself with the novels.

Gangster is cool, but makes wish they'd made more Black Lagoon instead (I'll take Revvy over that deaf guy everyday).

Himouto Umaru-chan is like Oreimo without the incest.

Working!!! (Wagnaria 3) is exactly as great as it should be. So many pay-offs from the first two seasons.

Still enjoying Shokugeki mo Souma. Everything I enjoy about tournament anime + everything I love about cooking shows + fanservice.

Aquarion Logos is still confusing as all hell. I know it's not gonna pay-off, but I'm sticking with it anyway.

Snow White With The Red Hair is pretty stand out this season. Not quite sure where it's headed, but it's got a good Spice And Wolf tone to it.

Ushio Tora is the best for me this season. It is an old manga that I never read or heard before but it is being animated new.

I dropped Aquarion Logos after two episode, the MC looks like an Alto with weird nose job with very weird and not like-able character. The supporting cast, I never got too fond of any of them plus the weird story.

Btw, Still enjoying Wolrd Trigger especially the new arc now which is very similar to Tournament.

It's mostly Gangsta, Ushio Tora (old school shounen feel) and Prison School (the ecchiest, most scatological series since Hen Zemi), for me this season. I've heard Snow White with Red Hair is good too but unfortunately it's available in my area.

It's mostly Gangsta, Ushio Tora (old school shounen feel) and Prison School (the ecchiest, most scatological series since Hen Zemi), for me this season. I've heard Snow White with Red Hair is good too but unfortunately it's available in my area.

Just caught up on Prison School, and it's incredible. Can't wait to see the home release.

enjoying Gate, Gangsta, Shokugeki, Charlotte, Ushio to Tora, DRRR!!x2. not a bad turnout for the season, though technically, Shokugeki and DRRR are carryovers.

have to backtrack on Working before i can start watching.

watched first ep of Prison School. don't know what to make of it yet.

i'm jonesing for more Kancolle or Girls und Panzer.

and where the heck is the last episode of Kekkai Sensen?

OVER 9 MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just watched Gurren Lagann for the first time and all I can say is ***W-O-W-Z-E-R-Z****!!!!! This show is absolutely phenomenal and blew me the frakk away!!

How in the world did I sleep on this series for so long? After reading so much about Gurren Lagann I couldn't help but go into with high expectations and it actually exceeded them! The whole spiral race thing was brilliant and Simon is one of the most well written protagonists in any action show I've seen. Plus the action towards the end is INSANE! Some of the most kickass animation I've seen for the TV show. It left me breathless!

Now....is Gurren Lagann as good as that *other* classic Mech series, Evangellion? I dunno... I'm honestly not quite ready to place it up there with Eva, because I love Eva so much.

But what are your thoughts? Which show do you feel Studio Gainax hit the nail on harder? Which show do you personally enjoy more and which one was better executed in your opinion?

I finished Gargantia on the Verduous planet not to long ago... I'm kinda in the middle of Valverave the Liberator, and I'm waiting for the second season of Attack on Titan. I also finished a second watch through of Hellsing Ultimate not long ago too.

I also took awhile to watch Gurren Lagann, as I finished it about a year ago. Glad I watched it, though. I was really pumped after I finished, which is usually not the case.

Lightning struck twice for the creator, as Kill la Kill was also completely awesome and left me feeling great after its ending.

Edited by frothymug

let this be a clear warning for everyone, If you havent watched Gurren Laggan, you are missing a lot!! It is one of the few anime that is recommended to me with a lots of HYPE and me as a result back then has a big expectation. It does not disappoint!

I'll have to admit this is a kinda cool anime! Watched the first few eps and its quite enjoyable!

Gurren Laggan was pretty good. I didn't really know what to expect, I'd not heard any of the hype. I had friends that said it was good, but It looked too super robot-y for my taste. It was, but I found myself engrossed, the whole experience was just one bonkers thing after another. Yoko kind of stole the show for me, but Kamina and Simon were thoroughly enjoyable characters in their own right. The way the whole show goes about things is an awesome combination of real-robot fighting machine, and the hilariously unscientific Super Robot goofiness.

So it was fun, and I highly recommend it.

I finished watching all 3 seasons of Kuruoko no basuke and it was throughout excellent, it even made me want to play basketball and I'm pretty lame at that sport but damn that anime has a lot of exhilarating moments.

Also started watching Bakemonogatari, after 3 episodes I'm not hooked yet but it looks promising and hopefully won't disappoint

Because one of the people I worked with at the Satelight booth at AX last month was one of the producers of Logos, I've been catching up on Aquarion. I saw the first couple of episodes years ago, but never continued. Right now, I've finished the first series and movie, and am entering the final third of Evol. I've really been enjoying the whole ride. I love how it hews so close to so many conventions of '70s robot shows (like, if the robots attacks, you know it will be the decisive blow if and ON!Y if the theme song starts playing) but twists everything else around so fully. I'm finding the main couple in Evol pretty dull, but the rest of the cast is fun enough that it generally doesn't matter too much.

If you are expecting that you will see similar action or goreness or what ever inspires you at episode one, then stop. It is like a very different anime later on.

it's ok. they're also making an anime and visual novel series based on the Schwarzesmarken side story that is set in 1980's East Germany along the BETA controlled frontlines.

If you are expecting that you will see similar action or goreness or what ever inspires you at episode one, then stop. It is like a very different anime later on.

I really had no expectations going in, and in continuing. Episodes 1 and 2, just came out of the Attack on Titan left field. All of a sudden, all of the characters the show had developed so far were dead save one, and in the most gruesome ways I can imagine. It seemed to so show you what was really causing the looming dread that the characters seem to feel in the subsequent episodes. I'm still not through it yet, but the whole concept of our modern jet fighters as robots instead is intriguing. And then there's the fan service...

That gruesome couple of episodes just sticks with you, and then there's Yui, having PTSD flashbacks, showing it to you again. So far it's like if Macross Plus and Attack on Titan had a baby...

I really enjoyed both these series! And I heard there is now a english dub of Attack on Titan download available! I wouldn't mind re-watching it in english!

Having seen both the subbed and dubbed versions of attack on titan, I have to say it's not a bad dub. Not much is lost between the two if anything. It seemed like they just took the subs, streamlined the translation a bit, and used that for the script. The actors nailed the characters, and no body came across as weak that wasn't supposed to be.

I was not aware of this, but that kinda makes sense given how stylistically similar the baddies are, and how humanity is still in conflict with itself. I didn't read that whole interview, but I read enough of it t kind of get the gist. Interesting read.

As for Muv-Luv, the series, is pretty good so far. I do kind of like the gratuitous boobage going on, and the giant robot mecha. I mean it's not missing much in terms of stuff I like.

Edited by Valkyrie Driver