What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Hey guys I don't know where else to ask this but I need help identifying a couple of anime I saw that was released on vhs tape in the usa back in the mid to late 80s. They've been floating around in my head for the longest time and its bugged me to the point I have to ask what they are.

1. The first is what can best be described as a romeo and juliet story involving undersea merpeople. I remember the main character had a sidekick that might have been his brother that was red colored and might have died tragically. There also might have been something about a broken horn, but the memory is very vague it might have been what caused the sidekicks death. This I believe was a feature length film.

2. The second is a mecha anime with a plot similar to the fantastic voyage where a robot gets shruken down and sent inside a human body to kill a disease. I remember a little black robot initially piloting the larger one, a transformation sequence, a giant octopus monster the main bad guy fed his slaves to, and a type of micro society of microscopic people that the human body is made up of. This might have been one episode of a longer series.

YES!!!! After twenty something freaking years I've finally found out what number 2 is!!! While wikipedia helped with figuring out number 1 was Sea Prince And The Fire Child, I couldn't find anything on number 2 and the people/anime experts I described it to all looked at me like I was insane. They had good reason to since the show I was trying to describe wasn't actually a Japanese anime, but one of those crappy Korean knockoffs. I have to thank randomly clicking on one of Ben the Sage's Anime Abandon youtube videos for finally solving this anime riddle that's been nagging me for pretty much most of my life!

Behold the shlock that is Diatron-5!

YES!!!! After twenty something freaking years I've finally found out what number 2 is!!! While wikipedia helped with figuring out number 1 was Sea Prince And The Fire Child, I couldn't find anything on number 2 and the people/anime experts I described it to all looked at me like I was insane. They had good reason to since the show I was trying to describe wasn't actually a Japanese anime, but one of those crappy Korean knockoffs. I have to thank randomly clicking on one of Ben the Sage's Anime Abandon youtube videos for finally solving this anime riddle that's been nagging me for pretty much most of my life!

Behold the shlock that is Diatron-5]

Congrats! Your google-fu is strong!

• 2 weeks later...

The last episode of Fate was hilariously bad. The over the top dialogue is killing this adaption. Someone needs to put some duct tape over Archer's mouth and tell him to get on with it.

I just finished the Guin Saga series and I'm pretty interested in finding out how the story continues. They only translated the first 5 volumes to Enlighs Anyone know if the novels were translated to any other language?

The last episode of Fate was hilariously bad. The over the top dialogue is killing this adaption. Someone needs to put some duct tape over Archer's mouth and tell him to get on with it.

It wouldn't be Fate if everyone didn't talk too much. Nasu desperately needs an editor.

The second half of UBW opened really bad (imo). Just when you thought that the previous episode was really bad, here you go watching the next one and that one is worse.

Watching DanMachi, I have read the translated LN and imo, it moves too fast that all of the details or importance of the dungeon are lost.

edit:

the latest episode just wow'd me on the amount repetitive dialogue.

and this line kills it

Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right.

Edited by chyll2

The second cour of Fate for me has been very good until about episode 16 or 17 where the story just slows down to a crawl. I'm actually finding myself bored while watching this series now and that really should not be happening. Today's episode was supposed to be the big climax, but man there's more monologues about being a hero. Ufotable is now dragging this arc out for another episode.... good grief. I used to like Archer's character, but now I just find him to be a whiny prick with "muh ideals" being a mistake. Honestly, character arcs or not, Shirou and Archer please just shut up and fight already! Okay Fate rant over.

The Fate-UBW monologuing got to me, as well. I fell asleep half-way through the latest episode.

The notion that Archer is unhappy with what he sees in his past self and Shirou is unhappy with what he sees in his future self would have been best left to one episode, but it. is. dragging. on. and on. and on... And this is one of those rare occassions where I think the Fate-Stay route did a better job handling these plot devices: especially the idea of Excaliber's sheath.

For this episode of UBW, I was wishing that the focus had completely switched back to Tohsaka, instead of giving equal time to her and Shirou. I thought her trials, and those of Lancer, made for a better segment. And giving her more screen time would have broken up the numbing monotony too.

I've been pretty generous with my love of UBW, but... yeah the last couple of episodes are pushing it for me. Episode 20 was better than 19, but that's not saying much, Its a shame, the show was doing SO well before. :(

Anyway can i get some anime recommendations here? Something like Yamato 2199; a nice space opera set on ships in space. I'm trying crest of the stars and Towards the terra which are OK, but not quite what I'm after. i also suffered through Gundam Unicorn.

So help a brother out?

Honestly, I'm getting pretty much what I expected from Unlimited Blade Works. It's more or less a straight port of the game, so there's few surprises.

I still appreciate that they try to make the servants look super-powered, and don't bust Shirou's theme out every episode(instead saving it for ACTUAL awesome moments). Those were my two biggest gripes with the Fate route series.

Oh, and I like how That Bastard Shinji keeps gawking with confused slack-jawed wonder at everything.

He's ignorant of almost everything involving magic and the Grail War, and they're taking advantage of it to illustrate him as the complete buffoon he is.

Like the scene recently where he gapes openly at Kirei's command seal. He's never SEEN a proper command seal before, and is incapable of hiding his confusion and curiosity.

Is there any news of a 3rd season for Attack on Titan? I'd read the manga, but I can't stand the crap artwork.

Apparently to start next year.

This is very good, since the last series didn't so much end as it did stop.

I've been pretty generous with my love of UBW, but... yeah the last couple of episodes are pushing it for me. Episode 20 was better than 19, but that's not saying much, Its a shame, the show was doing SO well before. :(

Anyway can i get some anime recommendations here? Something like Yamato 2199; a nice space opera set on ships in space. I'm trying crest of the stars and Towards the terra which are OK, but not quite what I'm after. i also suffered through Gundam Unicorn.

So help a brother out?

I loved Crest of the Stars and it's sequels Banner of Stars I,II and III. Banner, specially the first has a lot more focus on 'ships in space'. Keep on watching and you'll be rewarded. Having said that, Yamato 2199 is hard to top so don't set your expectations too high.

You could also check out Heroic Age. Not on the level of Yamato 2199, but pretty entertaining in its own way.

If you don't mind fansubs, then you absolutely should check out Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Awesome! Finally something to look forward to in the anime line-up.

You mean you weren't looking forward to One-Punch Man? For shame!

Also Symphogear GX, but I admit that franchise is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

You mean you weren't looking forward to One-Punch Man? For shame!

Also Symphogear GX, but I admit that franchise is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Well I am now. :lol:

TBH, I've never heard of the name before, but a quick wiki of the anime caught my interest.

I'll make do with the manga for now; at least it's easier on the eyes than the Attack on Titan manga.

As for Symphogear, if it's no worse than Guilty Crown, it's going on my to-watch list. I actually kinda enjoyed Guilty Crown, despite the mixed reviews.

Well I am now. :lol:

TBH, I've never heard of the name before, but a quick wiki of the anime caught my interest.

I'll make do with the manga for now; at least it's easier on the eyes than the Attack on Titan manga.

As for Symphogear, if it's no worse than Guilty Crown, it's going on my to-watch list. I actually kinda enjoyed Guilty Crown, despite the mixed reviews.

The One-Punch Man comics are amazing, and I'm delighted to see it getting animated.

(And I note from your statement about easy on the eyes that you found the "remake" version instead of the original, which is best described as "scribble-y")

Symphogear... is perhaps charitably described as an acquired taste.

It's better than a show explicitly designed to maximize album sales had a right to be*, but that may be damning with faint praise.

*It's at least better metered than Macross 7 was. No catchy and enjoyable songs being rendered insufferable like Planet Dance.

Edited by JB0

The One-Punch Man comics are amazing, and I'm delighted to see it getting animated.

(And I note from your statement about easy on the eyes that you found the "remake" version instead of the original, which is best described as "scribble-y")

Symphogear... is perhaps charitably described as an acquired taste.

It's better than a show explicitly designed to maximize album sales had a right to be*, but that may be damning with faint praise.

*It's at least better metered than Macross 7 was. No catchy and enjoyable songs being rendered insufferable like Planet Dance.

Good gosh, what is it with manga artists these days and sloppy artwork? I guess I'd better look out for the remake version then.

Being better than Macross 7 isn't saying much, but I'll give it a change either way. All I watched of M7 was the youtube clips and it was enough to put me off. Milia's little election campaign ad was...(sighs)...what have they done to you, Milia? :(

Pretty sure you're reading the remake. The original looks like a close relative of the american manga series XKCD.

And I wasn't trying to start the next Macross 7 war here. I think even it's biggest fans can admit that a few of Fire Bomber's songs were played WAY too frequently.

Pretty sure you're reading the remake. The original looks like a close relative of the american manga series XKCD.

And I wasn't trying to start the next Macross 7 war here. I think even it's biggest fans can admit that a few of Fire Bomber's songs were played WAY too frequently.

XKCD?! That bad, huh?

BTW, what Macross 7 war? No seriously, I didn't pay enough attention to it back in the day (90's) to realize people were actually feuding over it.

Edited by GU-11

Yeah, XKCD bad. Seriously, the difference between the original and remake version is like ONE just wanted to make sure he had both ends of the quality scale covered.

And, well... every so often, any mention of Mac7 starts a pages-long flame war. Not as often as it used to, but...

Keith:

That's just what the imperialist anthropocentric Basara claims! The winners write the history 'toons, and who's to stop them from editing it all?!?!

Edited by JB0

It'd help to know what you've already seen

- The Sky Crawlers.

- Jin-Roh

- Crusher Joe

- Galaxy Express 999 & Adieu Galaxy Express 999

- Yamato 2199: Journey of the Celestrial Ark (assuming you've already seen the series]

- Knights of Sidonia

- Martian Successor Nadesico

- Megazobe 23 Parts 1-3

- Gall Force Eternal Story / Destruction / Stardust War / Rhea / Earth Chapter

- Venus Wars

- Arcadia Of My Youth

- Break (Broken) Blade

- Irresponsible Captain Tylor

- Armored Trooper Votoms

- Space Runaway Ideon

- Giant Robo

- Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Assuming you've already seen all Macross & Gundam.

cool thanks. have seen macross and knights of sidonia. have watched some gundam but not in the mood for it. tried to download venus wars a couple times and they just weren't working right. never looked into votoms. Im trying to keep it a single movie or like 4-5 episodes.