Japan painted up an F-15 in Millia's scheme

very cool i know very little about aviation, is this standard issue ? or is a custom airshow vehicle?

Meh, I am not really all that impressed. I think my favorite plane (sorry F-14 fans) looks just fine in basic gray. ;)

Edit: Checked the link for more pics, and David is right. The underside is quite a bit different. I'm loving the paint scheme from that angle. :)

very cool i know very little about aviation, is this standard issue ? or is a custom airshow vehicle?

...from the link it appears to be a special paint scheme to celebrate some type of anniversary. For what or whom I have no clue.

Edited by trueblueeyes

Not obvious from the page, but if you click on a picture it will open in 1024x768. But they screwed up one of the links. The pic at the top of this thread is at http://www3.nsknet.or.jp/~zuka/px/50thANNI/50th_3.jpg

The blue scheme's nose detail in 1024x768 is really nice.

Yes, based on babelfish and excite (had to use both to be sure), the paint scheme is to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the JASDF.

Edited by ewilen

Man the Japanese just know how to paint an Eagle up good! My favorite is the one where they painted a giant dragon on the back of the plane clutching the JASDF roundels on the wings.

This may be off-topic, but it's still on-topic, so I'm posting it here. :p

I've got a friend working on a 1/72 VF-22S. He wants to paint it up realistically, kind of like how this F-15 is a real version of a possible Millia plane. So... does anyone have some photos of planes painted blue?

Really really blue? Nope, don't know of any. Besides the Blue Angels, which is basically the YF-21 scheme.

Might want to check Canadian F-18 schemes, nobody "out paints" Canada. Can't recall any that are mostly blue, though most have a lot of blue.

This may be off-topic, but it's still on-topic, so I'm posting it here. :p

I've got a friend working on a 1/72 VF-22S. He wants to paint it up realistically, kind of like how this F-15 is a real version of a possible Millia plane. So...  does anyone have some photos of planes painted blue?

Couple things to look for - some photo-recon Spitfires used to be painted blue. And theres also US Naval aircraft of World War II, many of which were painted a very dark blue.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

About the most blue you'll ever see is VF-143.

Ahh... the ol Pukin' Dogs squadron based outta Oceana NAS in Virginia Beach, VA. Saw alotta Navy jets flying by living in VB, everything from A-7 Corsairs and F-4 Phantoms back in the day before they were retired; E-6s, F-14s, F-18s. And the annual Airshows were cool, within casual bike riding distance. Got to know every Naval Aircraft intimately. Sadly I didnt pursue a career in the Navy, I chose the US ARMY, Hooah!!! Airborne!!!

In wartime, it's usually more important to identify who's who, than to try to camouflage. See D-Day invasion stripes and the Luftwaffe's ident bands. I mean, if the JASDF ever went up against other F-15's, it'd be easy to tell who's who in a dogfight based on color. :)

• 4 weeks later...
In wartime, it's usually more important to identify who's who, than to try to camouflage. See D-Day invasion stripes and the Luftwaffe's ident bands. I mean, if the JASDF ever went up against other F-15's, it'd be easy to tell who's who in a dogfight based on color. :)

WWII Invasion stripes are a much different concept than A USN CAG's Black tail, pilots don’t want to be in a combat environment with a plane which stands out like a sore thumb.

I don't think a black tail is gonna have any effect on the outcome of a battle...afetr all aren't most engagements BVR avraam and escape types...i don't think visual range combat is often as some people might think.

And like DH indicated yes the fancy colors can aid indentification and prevent fracticide. Hint: IAF Kfir and Neshers.

I don't think a black tail is gonna have any effect on the outcome of a battle...afetr all aren't most engagements BVR avraam and escape types...i don't think visual range combat is often as some people might think.

And like DH indicated yes the fancy colors can aid indentification and prevent fracticide. Hint: IAF Kfir and Neshers.

it just gives an indication of who's side your on nothing more. Shi* cunningham and driscolll were NEVER in low viz phantoms when they downed 5 migs and become the sole naval aces in vietnam.

Sore thumb is smoke trails from engines and sheer size. Not all planes are able to camo with clouds.