Doom 3 system requirements

Anubis

All the graphic kick of Doom 3 requires a significant system, with the specs just released. I can't recall any other game that needed specs this high.

Thankfully I'm clear, but there are some out there that will need some type of boost to play this one. My dad's PC would need a new video if my Brother wants to play it.

Good to see they are pushing capabilities. I don't buy many games anymore, no time really, but I'm looking hard at Doom.

Here are the requirements:

• A 1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.

• 384 megabytes of memory.

• Two gigabytes of hard drive space.

• An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.

Any one else loking forward to this one? We should do an MWorld fragfest.

I'll have to pass on this one ... I would have to upgrade pretty much my whole system to play.

Sorry, but those are some unrealistic specs for a game.

What's next? I need a Silicon Graphics cluster to play Doom 4???? <_<

I'm on a P4 2.8Ghz with a Radeon 9800 Pro and 1 GB of RAM.

Bring it on, id!

Edit: Oh, yeah. Gamestop.com has an offer where, if you preorder Doom 3 and Half-life 2 simultaneously, you get a coupon code that gives you free overnight shipping for them both. Or if you visit planetdoom.com, one of the recent stories gives you a product code that allows free overnight shipping for Doom 3 by itself, no HL2 preorder needed. If you use this deal, you'll get Doom 3 on August 4.

Edited by Terpfen

It is not really pushing that much. Far Cry already requires more, and you can forget about playing UT2004 16 players ONS with only 384M RAM. It's just obvious that id got the best coder so the engine scale back better.

And there is little fragfest you can play with - it only has 4 players death match, basically just a demo to show that online play is possible with this new engine. Go back to Quake or UT for real online game play.

I'll have to pass on this one ... I would have to upgrade pretty much my whole system to play.

Sorry, but those are some unrealistic specs for a game.

What's next? I need a Silicon Graphics cluster to play Doom 4???? <_<

You haven't upgraded in quite a while have you? The system required above is still less powerful than my computer from two years ago, which only cost me about 500 or less to build. About a year later I build a better computer

AMD 2600

1 Gig RAM

GeForce 3 (carried over from the old computer, still want to buy a kickass new card when I can afford it)

All in all, this newer computer still cost me around 500 bucks.

It is not really pushing that much. Far Cry already requires more, and you can forget about playing UT2004 16 players ONS with only 384M RAM. It's just obvious that id got the best coder so the engine scale back better.

And there is little fragfest you can play with - it only has 4 players death match, basically just a demo to show that online play is possible with this new engine. Go back to Quake or UT for real online game play.

Only 4 player?

Oh well, UT for multiplyer then still.

I haven't delved in a good single player fps for a long time, so this will be welcome anyway.

AMD 2800+ "Barton" @ 2.24 or 2.5 ghz... I forget lol

512mb DDR400 Corsair

NForce 2 mobo(msi because my asus crapped out, gonna get a new one when I upgrade this fall so I can wait)

Radeon 9700 pro

I should be set. This game will look and sound awesome on my 21'' Sony Monitor and Logitech Z-680s.... mmmmm.... :ph34r:

Bring it on, id!

Same Specs as me! Well hopefully the ATI cards can handle Doom3 - - since its optimized by ID for NVIDIA cards...

HL2, on the other hand, is optimized for ATI cards :D That new/old counterstrike game looks awesome (except for the elimination of boosting).

I'm on an AthlonXP 2400+, 512 MB RAM, and a GeForce4MX 440 (64 MB) so I'm fine.

My dad's pc that my brother uses though is an Athlon 1.2GHz, 384 MB ram, and an old Radeon 32MB DDR, so nothing I can for that one right now, outside of Buying a new ATI for mine and handing down the GeForce 4MX. Doesn't fix the processor problem though. He'll live though as he's more of a console gamer so missing pc games doesn't bug him any. He just borrows my Warcraft III and Jedi outcast discs to play.

Actually, I still need to pick up the new UT. I'm still playing the old one when I get the itch.

Bring it on, id!

Same Specs as me! Well hopefully the ATI cards can handle Doom3 - - since its optimized by ID for NVIDIA cards...

HL2, on the other hand, is optimized for ATI cards :D That new/old counterstrike game looks awesome (except for the elimination of boosting).

Yeah, I quit CS because the graphics got real ugly... I mean... 5-6 years is long enough to stay on one engine for me.

All in all, this newer computer still cost me around 500 bucks.

Hey Radd, where do you buy gear that cheap? If I can build a decent system that cheap... it looks liek it will be upgrade time! :p

http://www.pricewatch.com/

http://www.slickdeals.net/\

I know the question wasn't for me, but I was able to get mine to Radd's level a year ago for the same price. You have to be patient with slickdeals, but you can really luck out if you watch it.(got my 250 GB HD for about $100)

Hmm.... The only weak link in my system would be my CPU: A Athlon 1800 XP. While it's not a total slouch, I would like to upgrade to one of the faster Athlon CPUs... Preferably something that starts with a 3. Lucky for me, I picked up a nice Nforce 2 Ultra 400 GB based motherboard, that allows me for a ton of upgrades for $70 CDN. I love crazy sales. Consider me ready for Doom 3... As soon as I get a new CPU that is.

wow... all you guys running on graphics cards older than the geforce5 line are gonna have a tough time with this game.... this thing was designed for top of the line hardware/direct X....

pff, the alpha ran fine on my system.....and that one was older than the one I have now. Oh, and Farcry is BEAUTIFUL on my system too...

I am currently thinking of upgrading to an Athlon 64... dunno though... I may hold out for some sweet BTX lovin... but that's prolly not even gonna be an issue until next year.

lol, my graphics card would laugh at me if I tried to run that (GeForce FX 5600), everything else could handle the load no problem... I desperately need a new GFX card.

Ahh well, back to UT for me (For some reason, nothing can stand up to the original... and's what I'll stick with!)

wow... all you guys running on graphics cards older than the geforce5 line are gonna have a tough time with this game.... this thing was designed for top of the line hardware/direct X....

With the exception of the 5950, GeForce FX cards are overrated. If you look at Tom's Hardware, the 5700 series and below are no better than the GeForce 4 Ti4600.

I'll stick with my GeForce4 Ti4200 64 for now until I raise enough $$$ to build an Athlon 64 rig.

512mb DDR400 Corsair

NForce 2 mobo(msi because my asus crapped out, gonna get a new one when I upgrade this fall so I can wait)

Radeon 9700 pro

wow, that's exactly what i just built last month!

:lol:

my PC is:

AMD Ahtlon XP "Barton" 2600 at 2.04GHz

1.25GB of RAM (long story...)

Gforce4 TI4400

only thing I would want to upgrade is my graphics card and next month im doing a lot of overtime in my job, so will hopefully do it then...playing CoD is hard to do with all settings turned down from Max :)

512mb DDR400 Corsair

Radeon 9700 pro

Heh... didn't know it was still in style. Then again, I upgrade twice a year (fall is usally video card time, spring is mobo/proc etc...) with peripherals in between....

I can run it with no problem. I also have the three level "alpha" of the game and it runs like a champ on my home box. Unless the code has changed severely I should not have any problems...

... and for those fixated on numbers my home box is a Pent 4 HT 3 gig with 1 gig of ram, Raedon 9800 Pro card and a bunch of other crap that I had to have like my DTS sound card and receiver.

Now to my rant:

$54.99? Why don't you take the left nut while you are at it Id? Why is it when companies release "next gen" games they always try to "next tax bracket" the price tags?

Heh... didn't know it was still in style. Then again, I upgrade twice a year (fall is usally video card time, spring is mobo/proc etc...) with peripherals in between....

heh, it was cheap, i paid approx. $150 for the setup which included a 120 gb HD, a 4X DVD+-R, and some funky case with lights in it (which I don't see because I shove the tower into it's appropriate hole in my desk). My last system was a P3-1GHz, and it couldn't play KOTR which my wife got me last XMAS, so I shopped around and got enough parts to build it. Now that I can play KOTR, I should really get back to it before my wife sees me playing another NEW game...

HL2, on the other hand, is optimized for ATI cards  :D  That new/old counterstrike game looks awesome (except for the elimination of boosting).

Actually, it's optimized for OpenGL, not Nvidia cards. If anything, Carmack has complained about Nvidia cards--certainly Valve has made a stink about the shoddy performance of Nvidia cards versus the Radeon series in Half-life 2, as shown here. UT2K4 is likely optimized for Nvidia, as it even contains an endorsement in the opening sequence; of course, I run UT2K4 at 1280x1024x32, with everything on high, and don't get so much as a stutter.

Only 4 player?

Oh well, UT for multiplyer then still.

I haven't delved in a good single player fps for a long time, so this will be welcome anyway.

Out-of-box deathmatch is configured for 4 players only, and it'll actually be a welcome change. Imagine a deathmatch where you actually hunt someone, instead of standing around near a spawn point and firing rockets. Assuming the EAX implementation is up to par, deathmatch should be something else.

And then there's all the mods that will undoubtedly come out; I'm sure the first one will be a mod to allow server admins to set their own max player count.

In addition, I'm not sure if UT2K4 will remain the multiplayer game of choice. Singleplayer games have a wider player base, and can easily beat online-only games. Just take a look at Half-life's dominance of the FPS gaming area for years, and its beating-out of Unreal Tournament, Quake III, and their sequels.

Regardless, the singleplayer game is reported to be about 23 hours long (my source is PC Gamer's review of Doom 3), so you'll have a little while before you can worry about multiplayer.

HL2, on the other hand, is optimized for ATI cards  :D  That new/old counterstrike game looks awesome (except for the elimination of boosting).

Actually, it's optimized for OpenGL, not Nvidia cards. If anything, Carmack has complained about Nvidia cards--certainly Valve has made a stink about the shoddy performance of Nvidia cards versus the Radeon series in Half-life 2, as shown here. UT2K4 is likely optimized for Nvidia, as it even contains an endorsement in the opening sequence; of course, I run UT2K4 at 1280x1024x32, with everything on high, and don't get so much as a stutter.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that OpenGL difference. Supposedly NVIDIA runs OpenGL faster and ATI handles DirectX 9.x better. But, I'm guessing the differences are neglible (i.e. mostly different in benchmarks, not real world apps) and its good to hear everyone with ATI cards running the alpha levels of Doom 3 pretty good. That means my ATI 9800 Pro should run things pretty good