Macross LANGUISH

alsey3k

do you mean language?

languish means to become weak; to lose strength.

in which case... I don't understand the question... but macross is a japanese anime.. so I'm gonna go ahead and say the official language is also japanese... but I'm american and we like to think everything begins and ends with us, so maybe it's english... or as we here in the states like to say, american.

:p

But if you remember in DYRL, all the characters speak Japanese normally, but all the air traffic contollers are speaking English. There's always the chance for a multilingual society. Unless of course there's an FAA regulation requiring Air traffic controllers to speak English, I really don't know.

You sorta tend to hear FAA traffic controlers and even pilots speak english, "RTB" or "Delta, Alpha, formation One" "Fox 2, Fox 2" Stuff like that....only in the really old old fighter pilot animes or movies in japan you never really heard stuff like that. "Enemy ship is approaching, course 387 mark 5" guess it's a way of vocally confirming something.

I personally would tend to think, everyone in Macross is some nationality, look at Fokker and Claudia, they're american. Misa and Hikaru are japanese, Minmay is technically Chinese, Shammy and Vanessa are also American, Kim is either Japanese or Chinese, Max is european, Hayao is Japanese, Burno Global is Italian I believe, or he could still be Russian like his English dub counterpart...Bruno also works for Russian.

I mean, it almost feels like a silly question to ask because in one sense, they all speak japanese.....simply because, the voice cast is japanese....but not all the characters are at all.......japanese? And than in another sense, ppl who watch it and perfer it in english, think they are all american, or of some foreign nation....mostly true.....some are american, and some are from somewhere else.....so what?

Because it's a japanese animated related show, the voice cast is Japanese, but the characters though a number of them are japanese national based, some are of different countries. But because it's voice casted by Japanese, it's just spoken in that way because it's Japanese animated related.

I think that pretty much clears it up.

I would think that the characters themselves converse both English and and their respective ethic languages. If you compared to the current UN Peacekeepers force, I think they tend to speak English if they are reporting to a comander from a different. So since UN Spacey is under the UN jurisdiction, the official language is likely to be English unless you are conversing with someone from the same country. ;)

I'm pretty sure the official language of commercial air travel is English.

But, also, in Patlabor 2, the JSDAF Fighters that scramble to intercept the bad guys also speak english with their air traffic controllers. So maybe the Japanese have adopted english for all of their in-flight communications needs, and that just carried over into Macross?

edit: "gollum" speak (japanses).

Edited by the white drew carey

When Misa translated the lyrics from the protoculture song in DYRL, she wrote it in english. Also the invite that Minmay received to join the Miss Macross contest in the sereis was in english, yet it was read in japanese. This always led me to believe that they were actually speaking english even though it was a japanese film/series.

Just Confirming what a few others have said. I'm an Air Traffic Controller, the official language of Aviation is English. Now, in-non english speaking countries I'm sure pilots and controllers will speak thier native languages but as Knight 26 stated ALL pilots MUST be able to speak and understand english. If we get a pilot....even an airline pilot, that can't understand us or we can't understand them, then that flight won't be going anywhere until it can be completely understood.

Chris

Sorry, nitpick alert :D

Shammy and Vanessa are also American, Kim is either Japanese or Chinese

Shammy is Finnish, Vanessa is French, and Kim is from the "South Asia Federation".

Burno Global is Italian I believe, or he could still be Russian like his English dub counterpart...Bruno also works for Russian.

He's from Eastern Europe, so either place is a possibility.

Sorry, nitpick alert :D

Shammy is Finnish, Vanessa is French, and Kim is from the "South Asia Federation".

Now, where in the heck did you find that out? That just seems like it's too obscure to be common knowledge.

I'm pretty sure the official language of commercial air travel is English.

But, also, in Patlabor 2, the JSDAF Fighters that scramble to intercept the bad guys also speak english with their air traffic controllers. So maybe the Japanese have adopted english for all of their in-flight communications needs, and that just carried over into Macross?

edit: "gollum" speak (japanses).

In actual fact, Drew, [history wonk] The Imperial Japanese Navy used English as its official language for quite a few years, in emulation of the British Navy (who, as the largest seagoing force of the time, the naval provinces of Tosa and Choshu took as their mentor). This, of course ended as the militarists took power in the late '20s and early '30s.[/history wonk]

I always thought, though, that the official language of the Macross universe was English. All of the signs are in English, and at the very beginning when Misa(?) tells the ship in general that the transformation is going to be in five minutes, she says it in English. As I've said before, I think the main charactes speak in Japanese only for the convinience of the Japanese audience.

Oh, and BTW...what's this about "your preciousssssss?" ;)

Sorry, nitpick alert  :D

Now, where in the heck did you find that out? That just seems like it's too obscure to be common knowledge.

http://macross.anime.net/characters/index.html I bet.

Macross Guide Book, where Egan Loo probably found the information, too :)

EDIT IN: I was reading the wrong part of the quote--I'll shut up now.

Edited by Pat Payne

Guest Khyron_Prime
There's always the chance for a multilingual society.

Whether or not it makes sense, I always felt the same way as a result of the constant exchange of information aboard the Macross in both English and Japanese. For all its worth, in RPG campaigns that I run, everyone within the U.N. Spacy knows both English and Japanese--as I term it, the coordinated lingua franca of the future! :D