Robocop Trilogy on DVD

Gaijin

I never even knew it was coming. Or rather is here already

www.Robocop.com

Robocop Trilogy Trailer

Seems like the set will have all 3 movies and a host of extras for Robo 1 that not even my Criterion DVD has. According to reviews on Amazon, it is the same director's cut as the Criterion release so people who missed that one have a second chance.

Anyone picked this up? I know the 3rd was turd, but I enjoyed the first 2 a lot.

I got it about a week ago at my local Wal-Mart for $25 CDN. I took one look at it, and then found my self running to the cash with it in tow.

Yah, in comparison to Robocop 1, 2 and 3 are a bit of a let down, but 3 is so cheesy, it's so much fun to watch.

I'll buy that for a dollar!

meh, Criterion Robocop is enough for me. I may pick up 2 some day, but 3 will never appear on my shelf.

My favorite of all the Robocop movies is 2. I loved the Robocop2/cain Mech design.

I even made one out of legos as a kid!

Thanks to the glorious resouce that is Ebay, I have been looking for a deal on the one model that was made of RC2. Sad thing is it always goes for 100.00+ :angry::o:(

I think I may pick this set up.

Thanks for the info!

I love the original so much it hurts.

The second movie kills me because it really could have been SUCH a kick ass film with a better director. It just flows like liquid poo poo instead of being great.

IIRC - Frank Miller, comic artist/writer extroidinaire wrote the screenplay and it was how bad this movie turned out that made him swear off ever working in the movie business again. Until now, with Sin City, where he gets to be co-director with Robert Rodriguez.

As for the 3rd movie - complete and total ass. You KNOW it sucks big time when you can't even get Peter Weller to come back. I deny it's existence much as I do all of the Highlander sequels, TV shows, etc.

If I close my eyes, they simply are not there. ;)

if i recall correctly, frank miller stated in an interview that his screenplays for robo 2 & 3 were bastardized. i'm pretty sure it was in an interview for his "NEW" robocop comic series that is supposed to be a more true representation of what his screenplay for robocop 2 was. but in my mind, the original robocop will be the only robocop. cain and that guy from robo 3 can never hold anything up against clarence bodicker!!

Robocop 2 was a good ultra violent romp like the first... you guys are just giving the first one way too much credit... :rolleyes:

It's not that Robocop is Lawrence of Arabia or anything... but it's waaaay better than it should be, all things considered.

The first movie was very capably directed by Paul Verhoven. He turned in a quick, fun, brilliantly violent movie with scathing social commentary, good performances and just enough of everything to make it delightful to watch and quote repeatedly.

Robocop 2... first you gotta get over the prototype Frankie Muniz kid, then you have the score, which is just boring... then you are really only left with the script, animations and designs, which were all first rate but not enough to make it any fun.

Kershner's a talented man behind the camera, but this just isn't his kind of movie. He doesn't have the same reverence for over the top violence and sensationalism that Verhoven did. There's plenty of violence, but it's fairly obvious that it's only there to please fans of the original... it's just not Kershner's thing.

With Robocop 2, you just end up with a movie that really set the tone for the sinking ship of the attempt to build a franchise out of a terrific guilty pleasure like Robocop.

if i recall correctly, frank miller stated in an interview that his screenplays for robo 2 & 3 were bastardized. i'm pretty sure it was in an interview for his "NEW" robocop comic series that is supposed to be a more true representation of what his screenplay for robocop 2 was. but in my mind, the original robocop will be the only robocop. cain and that guy from robo 3 can never hold anything up against clarence bodicker!!

The bastardization of his Robocop 2 screenplay must not have bothered him too much to appear in the movie. He played the scientist making Nuke for Cain in the semi truck trailer. Cain even calls him Frank.

I may pick it up even though I have the Criterion if only for the fact that the video is a cleaner transfer than the Criterion and the 5.1 sound.

I am a fan though. Got Peter Weller's autograph, the Detroit Police patch from the movie, press kits from the first 2 movies, KSC Auto 9...

As far as I know, a proper and true translation of the old Data East Robocop game never happened. Just visit MAME like everyone else does.

And Robocop vs Terminator already happened in the comic books and in a SNES game.

But yeah. The original had some cool people in it. I mean, Buckaroo Banzai vs Eric Forman's dad (Dumbass!), and the cranky and now dead doctor from ER who had a helicopter crash on him? And Miguel Ferrer who now kicks ass once he started going bald?

Robocop: Full of cool actors who are bald(ing). And Buckaroo Banzai too!

Yeah, picked this up myself. I'm a huge Robo fan. But I seem to be alone in liking the second one better then the first. But I think everyone can agree the tird was crap ^_^.

That or Robocop vs. Terminator   <_<

I'll buy THAT for a dollar!! HAHAHAHAHAHA :mellow::huh:

Actually, Frank Miller wrote a 4 issue comic series for Dark Horse with the great Walt Simonson (Thor) illustrating.

I normally absolutely detest things like this, but it came out far, far better than most of the Robocop or Terminator sequels. He made them co-exist in a plausible universe, worked in time-travelling, Omni Consumer Products, and Skynet...

Well worth the read, if I remember correctly.

This was all before Frank got all cranky and pissed about everything involved with Hollywood.

post-26-1087315914.jpg

Edited by Blaine23

I had that book, but have no recollection of the story.

I guess Frank Miller cares more about his property than Alan Moore. Moore will sell the property as long as he never has to watch it. I can respect both point of views, but I like Alan Moore's philosphy more... take the money and run!

But then again, look who's in the director's chair now. :lol:

I had that book, but have no recollection of the story.

I guess Frank Miller cares more about his property than Alan Moore. Moore will sell the property as long as he never has to watch it. I can respect both point of views, but I like Alan Moore's philosphy more... take the money and run!

But then again, look who's in the director's chair now. :lol:

Well, to set it straight - Frank did not create Robocop. Robocop was created for the first film by Verhoven, Ed Neumer, etc...

Frank's just done a ton of work with the character, like he did for Daredevil.

Alan Moore had a great interview on the Onion's AV Club website where he discussed why he doesn't really care about what they do with his properties in movies. His basic point was that they're going to do whatever they want (ie - ruin it) anyway. He doesn't even want a "created by Alan Moore" credit on the film at all.

Read it here.

There's also a good interview with Frank Miller there too.

When I first saw this set, I was was like "Holy S#^T!" But then I remembered that Robocop 2 was kinda mediocre, and Robocop 3 outright sucked. And I already have the Criterion version of Robocop. So, I think I kinda have all the Robocop I want. Unless they put the TV show on DVD... although I don't remember if the TV show was any good or not...

Did they ever release that "Prime Directives" miniseries on DVD? I only saw half of it, but I liked what I saw.

Yeah, it was a neat series, far better than robocop 3. Do a search on amazon, you'll find them there.

Did they ever release that "Prime Directives" miniseries on DVD? I only saw half of it, but I liked what I saw.

Yeah, it was a neat series, far better than robocop 3. Do a search on amazon, you'll find them there.

Sweet! They're all there, and they're around $16 bucks each! :D