BAH! Conan Obrien guy

cube

hopefully someone else just caught it...one of the writer guys on Conan Obrien was doing a "bit" on the show, ranting about how confusing robotech/macross dvds are, and how he can't figure out which ones he needs to complete his collection.

It was pretty funny.

Are you talking about Pierre's Recliner of Rage? DAMN! I missed it.......I switched to another channel after the Ice-T segment.

We GOTTA find this on vid. :D

lol that was hilarious about the him trying to collect all the Robotech box sets :lol: Pierre also actually got a part on Stargate SG-1 after one of his rants lol.

Oh yeah, R.I.P. for the Walker Texas Ranger lever, since Conan mentioned he wasn't gonna be using it anymore. That thing is hilarious :lol:

Are you referring to the Conan with guests Ethan Hawke and Neil Young? Don't they replay it on Comedy Central the following weekday? If it is, I'll Tivo it.

...now if only i remember how to turn BASH on my Tivo... so i can export the file ;)

damn I missed it... can anyone format it to quicktime when they do encounter it. Walker Texas Ranger cancelled! man I loved that bit why did Coney put a plug to it was the Chuckster gonna pay him a visit?

No, because Walker Texas Ranger is a horrible show and he's just joking around with how bad it is.

Yeah, the Walker, Texas Ranger lever was funny as hell.

The Texas Ranger lever + Knight Rider chain + Beverly Hills Cop button = :lol:

BTW....is there any way we can still find this clip. I don't want to wait for reruns. :ph34r:

Wouldn't this be replayed on Monday's Comedy Central Repeat? If there is one on Monday?

I'll set my DVR. I should then be able to get a copy of it up on my website if I can edit the MPEG file. Never done it before, but it'll be worth a try.

H

Guys,

I TiVo Conan every night. It should be on my TiVo. I'll find it and capture it! Post it up sometime tomorrow. I feel kinda sick right now.

Also someone needs to host it cus my provider will kick my ass if I try and host it..

Pierre = the crap

And to the guy that said Conan isn't any good now.. well, you suck. Sorry.

LOL, now THAT'S funny...

What Steve doesn't realize (or at least choses to look past) is that it's an opinion segment. The opinion of one person at that. Is he really gonna let that get to him? If so, then he is less of a man than I originally thought.

Well, c'mon.... it's not like he went out and trashtalked the series. He was merely expressing confusion over the vast number of sets that were available (and often, fans on RT.com say similar things... many feel it was a case of overkill). I certainly don't think it was worth getting upset at the guy over.

Why is it that people who watched Robotech are always confused? :D

Perhaps after getting a hold of the actual Macross sets, he can do a whole new recliner of rage :)

Hmm, I just thought of something funny. What if Pierre Bernard & the Conan show sued HG for illegally using their images on their website without permissin? :) I would swear eternal allegience to conan & do his bidding if he got htem shut down!

Why is it that people who watched Robotech are always confused? :D

Because it is like the Chewbacca defense, it doesn't make any sense.

P.S. For the humor-impaired, this article is made in jest.

Ladic... Some people see only what they want to see. ;)

So for the humor impaired it was made in jest... but to the rest of us he sounded pretty freaking serious. I didn't see any punchlines or any crazy banter in there.

But thanks for telling us when they'll show us this bit again, now I'm inclined to watch it.

I'm just wondering what the hell the rest of the population thought when they've never heard of RT or Macross. I'd have to see if people were actually laughing.

Steve just got the best free advertisement he ever had... :rolleyes:

There's an interesting point in there that I don't think was intentional...

The fact that they feel the need to even put the DVD guide (mentioned in the next-to-last paragraph) up on their site shows something is wrong with their marketing.

There really SHOULDN'T be 4 diffrent ways to buy what is essentially the same product on the market at once. And it's actually worse then that, because ADV is making an effort to blur the lines between original programs and Robotech version, creating a percieved FIFTH version of the product through their insistence of plugging Robotech in the text of said packages.

All it does is confuse the average consumer.

Which brings us back to the O'Brien show rant.

Comedic or not, it's actually a real problem, if not exactly on the same level as starving children, opressive dictators, and my stubbed toe.

They are either A. a pack of idiots who deserve to be shot for their mind-numbing incompetence, but will have to settle for the reduced sales cause by confused and annoyed consumers, or B. the most ingenious punks that ever walked the Earth, by figuring out how to trick people into buying the same thing up to 4 times, plus a 5th purchase of a closely related product.

Edited by JB0

Ladic... Some people see only what they want to see. ;)

Some people should read the whole darn thing, before jumping into conclusions, because they end up looking funny. :lol:

edit: to not hurt anyones feelings. :lol:

Edited by Ladic

But thanks for telling us when they'll show us this bit again, now I'm inclined to watch it.

I'm sure it's going to end up on one of the fanbase pages before long so even if people miss the re-airing it will eventually be seen.

There really SHOULDN'T be 4 diffrent ways to buy what is essentially the same product on the market at once. And it's actually worse then that, because ADV is making an effort to blur the lines between original programs and Robotech version, creating a percieved FIFTH version of the product through their insistence of plugging Robotech in the text of said packages.

I personally see no difference between this and trying to buy a car. The same make and model of one year can come in many different colors. With or without: sunroof

moonroof

alloy wheels

cd changer

leather interior

power windows

power steering

automatic

engine size

cruise control

and etc.... which even when going to the dealership you are stuck to choose between what they have on the lot unless you preorder the car. If you can't find one you're looking for you have to wander around dealership to dealiship asking if they have the type of car you want. Isn't that just a frustrating? So just about any market out there is confusing it's consumer in some way.

I agree it would be nice to have one all inclusive set. When I heard the Remastered RT was coming out I sold my original dvd's only to learn afterward the sound effects were changed and that the audio was subpar in opinions of some fans. I'm still without dvd's because I don't know where to invest my money again.. back into the originals or the new video?

Edited by Backstabber

I'm sure it's going to end up on one of the fanbase pages before long so even if people miss the re-airing it will eventually be seen.

I personally see no difference between this and trying to buy a car. The same make and model of one year can come in many different colors. With or without: sunroof

moonroof

alloy wheels

cd changer

leather interior

power windows

power steering

automatic

engine size

cruise control

and etc.... which even when going to the dealership you are stuck to choose between what they have on the lot unless you preorder the car. If you can't find one you're looking for you have to wander around dealership to dealiship asking if they have the type of car you want. Isn't that just a frustrating? So just about any market out there is confusing it's consumer in some way.

I agree it would be nice to have one all inclusive set. When I heard the Remastered RT was coming out I sold my original dvd's only to learn afterward the sound effects were changed and that the audio was subpar in opinions of some fans. I'm still without dvd's because I don't know where to invest my money again.. back into the originals or the new video?

DVDs don't generally come with so many options to choose from, though. Normally you have the individual DVDs, and the box sets to choose from. The box set sometimes has a bonus disc of goodies. In the case of movies, there's tv formatted, and widescreen versions to choose from. Common options, most people know what to look for. Even this trips up a good number of people though, we all know the family member or acquaintance that doesn't understand the difference between full screen and widescreen.

HG now, they have the individual discs, and two box sets. One comes with the extra goodies, the other doesn't, but comes in a different box. Add to that, the Remastered version, and the uncut, original series that Robotech was made from, I presume each of those comes in individual DVDs and box sets.

Now, the hardcore Robotech fan can wade through the 4 different versions pretty easily. They know what they want, and they've been keeping up with what HG has released.

The hardcore Macross, MOSPEADA, and Southern Cross fans likewise know they want the uncut real deal. They know enough to spot it when they see it, and only have to decide between individual DVDs, and box sets.

The casual fan, now they have a problem. They most likely don't even know Robotech is made from three independant shows. They may or may not realize there is a remastered version, or the opinions surrounding that. The two different sets of box sets would understandably throw them, as well as the uncut versions.

And let's face it, most fans are of the casual sort.

The hardcore Macross, MOSPEADA, and Southern Cross fans likewise know they want the uncut real deal. They know enough to spot it when they see it, and only have to decide between individual DVDs, and box sets.

The casual fan, now they have a problem. They most likely don't even know Robotech is made from three independant shows. They may or may not realize there is a remastered version, or the opinions surrounding that. The two different sets of box sets would understandably throw them, as well as the uncut versions.

And let's face it, most fans are of the casual sort.

I agree. I would also say that it's because they are trying to cater to all fans is the reason for the confusion like the car example. I mean with SDF:Macross it was much easier because it catered to a specific group with two choices.. 9 disc or 3 disc sets. Because long ago the Macross story was incorperated into the RT that simple choice is added to the other choices and so on with the later two sagas. This is why fast food places came up with the #1-8 combo menu.. giving people too much choice only confuses them.