Macross Zero

Oihan

Just watched Ep 4 and did not like it :(

The story gets even more complicated.

Ep 1 was excellent, lots of action scenes. Ep 2: good action scenes (dog fights too fast for my taste) a bit of nudity :rolleyes: Ep 3: less action scenes, plot starts to get complicated.

Ep 4: almost no action scenes, I got lost on the story :angry:

I just don't like how Sara has these weird powers of making things fly and how Macross Zero has become a weird prequel of Macross. At first I thought we were going to see how the SDF-1 was rebuilt, the story behind the vf-0, and a more interesting plot that connects to the original macross series. But none of this is in Macross Zero.

Macross Zero is becoming a good prequel of Macross II lovers again :(

so in your opinion only an action filled anime series with no plot at all would make a good prequel , nonsense. <_<

THe plot HAS to be complicated otherwise there would be nothing worthy in it. It simply wouldn´t be macross if it was all action an no intricate plot.

I think many of the old fans were expecting a SDF Remake , only with different valks. That , to my opinion , was the dumbest and biggest mistake they could´ve made when expecting this OVA series.

Those eager to get a re-animated SDF across series are exactly the same people who dislike Macross zero for not showing enough SDF Macross elements when M0 IS supposed to cover events not (directly) related with it but with the protoculture and humans NOT SW1.

Many here feel uncomfortable because Zero sows fantatic elements such as floting rocks , but from an entirely plot-focused perspective , isn´t Mayan a Protoculture vessel ? shouldn´t it be designed to react to Protoculture powers/abilities ? isn´t Sara a PC decendant ? so why the sudden surprise with this elements ?

I agree with takatoys a little. I think this episode was good, but it makes me think, shouldnt the final episode be a good hour to nicely conclude everything instead of half? I dont know what to expect for episode 5 but it better come to a GOOD closure. Not decent, or fair, but great. And I just dont know how it can be done in 30 minutes. Hopefully Kawamori will work his magic.

Ed

I really enjoyed this episode. The animation is just beautiful!

I love the shot of DD's fighter making that tight turn with the camera zooming all the way into the cockpit! Cool!

Pssst. How does one take a screen cap of an .avi file? :ph34r:

Yeah, what was the deal with Gilliam again? He defected over to the anti-UN because the UN were corrupt or something... I can't remember any of that, can anyone summarise the VF-X2 plot?

No, he didn't defect to the anti-U.N., just a small splinter group. Don't think there was an anti-u.n. at that point, just rogue zentradi & evil coorperations.

I think it's a bad idea to go down the supernatural way with Macross Zero. They should have stuck with the original Macross theme. Just sci-fi - alien technology, robots, humans, aliens, love, music. All this supernatural stuff just detracts from the charm and strength of the original Macross. Flying rocks? Puh-lease.

I think it's a bad idea to go down the supernatural way with Macross Zero. They should have stuck with the original Macross theme. Just sci-fi - alien technology, robots, humans, aliens, love, music. All this supernatural stuff just detracts from the charm and strength of the original Macross. Flying rocks? Puh-lease.

The simplest way to look at it is this. The Protoculture mastered mechanical science, what's so hard to believe about them also mastering boilogical science? Macross has always been about this. While humans can create giant robots, the Protoculture created giant humans :)

Besides which, and I can't stress this enough, with Kawamori being a huge gundam fan (Newtypes),none of this should be a surprise to anyoen.

Yes, hopefully the "flying rocks" will be explained without relying on the paranormal (i.e. alien artifacts interfacing with the natives or "unlocking" supressed human abilities long forgotten).

Personally, I could do without Episode 4's flying totem ride.

Maybe if they make a Macross theme park, that can be the log ride. :lol:

Yes, hopefully the "flying rocks" will be explained without relying on the paranormal (i.e. alien artifacts interfacing with the natives or "unlocking" supressed human abilities long forgotten).

Personally, I could do without Episode 4's flying totem ride.

Maybe if they make a Macross theme park, that can be the log ride. :lol:

unfortunatelly for some it will be about "unlocking" supressed human abilities long forgotten, what everyone has to realise is the WHY that is presented before our eyes.

M0 is all about Protoculture intervention on earth and the pathway to SW1. The protoculture weren´t a bunch of dumb human like creatures who could barely make robots like humans in SW1 , they mastered a lot scientific knowledge on how to alter the biological composition of life forms i.e. Zentradis , Zolans , Humans , Meltrans , EVILs.

Wouldn´t it be stupid of them not to alter themselves to improve their genetics and gain telekinetics abilities and other stuff ?

Why could Exedol alter himself being a simple Zentradi and not the Protoculture with thouzands of years of evolution and mastering all sorts of technology ?

So , if the Protoculture came to earth and altered humans so we could be compatible with them why couldn´t they change us to have control over Mayan stuff like ¨rocks¨ ? and i say ¨rocks¨ cause those things could very well be components of some sort of control panel of the remnants of the PC ship that made up Mayan and which were later used by the dumd natives as decorative statues.

Resuming my previous post, I just wanted Macross Zero to be more like Macross Plus

:rolleyes:

I am included on the fans that don't like fantastic elements on Macross. I believe it's the first time we see a flying rock aircraft :p

Zero is gonna be as great as Plus. It's as serious and kickass like Plus already, anyway.

The "flying totem"/rock is pretty much consistent with the shamanism-theme of Zero. Much like Sharon is consistent with the AI-theme of Plus. Both are done, presented and executed well.

Maybe they went supernatural with M0 so that Harmony Gold wouldn't be able to integragate it into their cockamamie story they call Robotech :lol:

Maybe they went supernatural with M0 so that Harmony Gold wouldn't be able to integragate it into their cockamamie story they call Robotech :lol:

Way to go with the zing!

Except that it would make it EASIER to integrate with the protoculture concept :rolleyes:

ok. Zero does blow up but in NO way is roy SHOT down! IF roy had to BAIL out in the air after the missle shot then yes he would be shot down but in this case he wasn't. He landed, hauled ass in battroid, and once it was about to blow ditched it. A shoot down inv9olves a missle or gun definite kill whereas the plane has nothing else to do but spiral down and the pilot either ejects or spirals with it. In this case no roy was not shot down just heavily damaged beyond repair(his 0 that is).

The simplest way to look at it is this. The Protoculture mastered mechanical science, what's so hard to believe about them also mastering boilogical science? Macross has always been about this. While humans can create giant robots, the Protoculture created giant humans :)

Besides which, and I can't stress this enough, with Kawamori being a huge gundam fan (Newtypes),none of this should be a surprise to anyoen.

I can't see why some people are having problems with this either. Remember the medieval days when technology was considered "magic" or supernatural. Gunpowder, before its discovery was "magic powder" or something like that. (dude...watch me throw fire from my hands) This is the same case in Mac 0. Things we see as supernatural might very well be a technology so advanced that we can't comprehend yet. Remember, human evolution was sped up by the protoculture so if it weren't for them, humans would still be cavemen or something. (shows the protoculture's technological edge)

And probably another reason why i don't see any problem with flying rocks was, I watched the Disney cartoon, Atlantis, which had somewhat similar themes with Mac 0. (and was a cool cartoon btw..very un-disneyish)

ok. Zero does blow up but in NO way is roy SHOT down! IF roy had to BAIL out in the air after the missle shot then yes he would be shot down but in this case he wasn't. He landed, hauled ass in battroid, and once it was about to blow ditched it. A shoot down inv9olves a missle or gun definite kill whereas the plane has nothing else to do but spiral down and the pilot either ejects or spirals with it. In this case no roy was not shot down just heavily damaged beyond repair(his 0 that is).

I thought being shot down involves anything as long as you have to bail from the fighter. Roy already lost an engine and it seemed like he couldn't fly the VF-0 anymore....so he made an emergency landing which HAPPENED to be where aries, shin and sara were.Of course, Roy wouldn't be Roy without making a grand appearance. ;)

Ah, that all reminds me of Scrapped Princess. At the beginning of the series you think all the magic, Peacemakers, and dragons are magical and fantasy like. But near the end of the series we find that the human race actually regressed, due to near total annihilation from aliens, and everything that was thought to be magical was actually highly advanced technology and AI ;)

I thought being shot down involves anything as long as you have to bail from the fighter. Roy already lost an engine and it seemed like he couldn't fly the VF-0 anymore....so he made an emergency landing which HAPPENED to be where aries, shin and sara were.Of course, Roy wouldn't be Roy without making a grand appearance. ;)

And hey, Roy took out 2 Octos before his craft blew up. If there were more, he probably would have taken them out as well.

Is Edgar dead?

I could've sword I saw his parachute from episode three, but when Shin finds his 0D in the jungle Shin calls out his name?

Then a bunch of birds and snakes crawl out of the canopy with some spruts of dark brown liquid and he tells Sara not to look.

I was watching the raw, so maybe I'm wrong. What went on in that scene?

Is Edgar dead?

I could've sword I saw his parachute from episode three, but when Shin finds his 0D in the jungle Shin calls out his name?

Then a bunch of birds and snakes crawl out of the canopy with some spruts of dark brown liquid and he tells Sara not to look.

I was watching the raw, so maybe I'm wrong. What went on in that scene?

That's not his VF-0D, just another one that was downed. Shin was just calling out to see if the pilot of the zero was still alive and say that he was an ally.

Is Edgar dead?

I was watching the raw, so maybe I'm wrong.  What went on in that scene?

That's not his VF-0D, just another one that was downed. Shin was just calling out to see if the pilot of the zero was still alive and say that he was an ally.

Ah. I was wondering about that myself.

I also wonder how Isamu, Max, or Hikaru would handle Ivanov if THEY were in the VF-0S. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  ;)

The showboat Isamu and Hikaru would get their ass kicked, Only Max is good enough to fight someone equal or better than Roy.

Isamu was a showboat, but he was also a very good (and very lucky) fighter pilot. If he was all show, Isamu would have been dead a long time ago. I think he could hold his own against Ivanov.

Hikaru was not a showboat, in the TV series he seemed very responsible and never tried to go out of his way to impress anyone while he flew, well from what I can remember anyways. He also had to be responsible because Max and Kakizaki were put under him. But I'm not sure if he was good enough to take Roy's instructor.

And then there's Max who could definately take Ivanov.

I also wonder how Isamu, Max, or Hikaru would handle Ivanov if THEY were in the VF-0S. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  ;)

The showboat Isamu and Hikaru would get their ass kicked, Only Max is good enough to fight someone equal or better than Roy.

Isamu was a showboat, but he was also a very good (and very lucky) fighter pilot. If he was all show, Isamu would have been dead a long time ago. I think he could hold his own against Ivanov.

Hikaru was not a showboat, in the TV series he seemed very responsible and never tried to go out of his way to impress anyone while he flew, well from what I can remember anyways. He also had to be responsible because Max and Kakizaki were put under him. But I'm not sure if he was good enough to take Roy's instructor.

And then there's Max who could definately take Ivanov.

yea really hikaru only showboated in the fan plane but that was it. NOt anything else. ey responsible and a good pilot and dogfighter in his ownright(watch episode where he duels with khyron) but he just wasnt as showy as max. I mean shoot to be skull leader you gotta be GOOD...thats the freaking CAG position..........

I figured Roy self-destructed his VF-0S. I doubt he'd ditch his Valk with the uncertianity it could be captured... what if it wasn't about to explode? The other thing that reinforces that is the way he yells at Aries to run away and also would you tackle an enemy who you haven't completely disabled without having a plan to take them out? I think Roy knew that they would probably capture the VF-0S and considering it's a new technology he woudln't want them to get it. I also doubt it would have that nice delay in the explosion and you see no incoming fire when it blows up.

Edited by ArchVile

I figured Roy self-destructed his VF-0S. I doubt he'd ditch his Valk with the uncertianity it could be captured... what if it wasn't about to explode? The other thing that reinforces that is the way he yells at Aries to run away and also would you tackle an enemy who you haven't completely disabled without having a plan to take them out? I think Roy knew that they would probably capture the VF-0S and considering it's a new technology he woudln't want them to get it. I also doubt it would have that nice delay in the explosion and you see no incoming fire when it blows up.

Perhaps....but the fact is he WAS shot down....for lack of better terminology.

Well, think about Hikaru's VERY FIRST appearance in SDF Mac. That's him showing off right there.

Remember the medieval days when technology was considered "magic" or supernatural. Gunpowder, before its discovery was "magic powder" or something like that.

Of course I remember!! Who doesn't?!

(How old do you think I am..??)

Remember the medieval days when technology was considered "magic" or supernatural. Gunpowder, before its discovery was "magic powder" or something like that.

Of course I remember!! Who doesn't?!

(How old do you think I am..??)

Pffft....u know what i mean. :p

Hikaru was not a showboat, in the TV series he seemed very responsible and never tried to go out of his way to impress anyone while he flew, well from what I can remember anyways.  He also had to be responsible because Max and Kakizaki were put under him.  But I'm not sure if he was good enough to take Roy's instructor.

Well, think about Hikaru's VERY FIRST appearance in SDF Mac. That's him showing off right there.

True, he was showing off then, but I was talking more about his valk piloting.

I figured Roy self-destructed his VF-0S.  I doubt he'd ditch his Valk with the uncertianity it could be captured... what if it wasn't about to explode?  The other thing that reinforces that is the way he yells at Aries to run away and also would you tackle an enemy who you haven't completely disabled without having a plan to take them out?  I think Roy knew that they would probably capture the VF-0S and considering it's a new technology he woudln't want them to get it.  I also doubt it would have that nice delay in the explosion and you see no incoming fire when it blows up.

Perhaps....but the fact is he WAS shot down....for lack of better terminology.

nope. His valk was damaged beyond repair and he did a landing of somesort while taking 2 occtos with him. A plane damaged that lands is not shot down. For example. If a SAM hits a phantom jet,m and the jet makes it back to the carrier damaged, would you call that shot down? I wouldn't. ANd yes i do believe he may have initated self destruct this is possible to do witha flick of the switch and since his valk was screwed up anyways mineswell blow something up.