Harmony Gold's DYRL official DYRL site?

Geeze people not the worst thing to happen in the world. I think 90% of us allready have a DYRL dvd or vhs. I doubt they'll monkey with the story at all since it dosn't mesh with Robotech at all hell DYRL dosn't even mesh with the origional series that well. Allso i don't think dubbing it will cause the planets to collapse into them selves either, no one is making you buy or watch it, who knows HG might acctuly do something right and add something new and great to the RT/macross world.

Geeze people not the worst thing to happen in the world. I think 90% of us allready have a DYRL dvd or vhs. I doubt they'll monkey with the story at all since it dosn't mesh with Robotech at all hell DYRL dosn't even mesh with the origional series that well. Allso i don't think dubbing it will cause the planets to collapse into them selves either, no one is making you buy or watch it, who knows HG might acctuly do something right and add something new and great to the RT/macross world.

I think you're gonna get flamed but I think you're right.

DYRL Perfect Edition DVD bootleg - got it

Yamato 1/48 and 1/60 DYRL toys - got it

TIA DYRL book - got it

Gold book - don't got it :(

Even though DYRL is my absolute favourite rendition of Macross, I find it hard to get excited/upset about any potential R1 DYRL DVD release from HG. With the exception of the Gold book, I'm very happy.

However, if they manage to release a true Dolby Digital or DTS remix of DYRL, I would snatch it without a second thought and I would be in Macross heaven. (oh yeah, baby!)

Maybe HG can re-release the DYRL Gold book too!!

Yes, I know I'm dreaming.

Edited by PC Valkyrie

ADV and Harmony Gold are going to milk this thing harder than a farm hand. I predict we'll see two or more releases of DYRL.

1) Robotech: DYRL/ Macross: DYRL - Dubbed by most of the original Robotech crew DD 5.1, and a seperate audio track for Japanese Dolby Surround with English subs. The kicker: mature scenes edited out to make it Robotech-friendly!

2) Robotech: DYRL / Macross: DYRL "eXtreme eDition" (or something insipid) - Same release, but now uncut!

3) Robotech: DYRL / Macross: DYRL " sUper dUper eXtreme eDition" - Audio now in DTS ES, for the audiophile. Plus, remastered video, but at a lower bitrate (hey, those DTS audio tracks take up a lot of space!). As an extra bonus, it'll come packaged with a lame morpher!

:p:lol:

IF...the pic and sound quality is true DVD, and not crap ass VHS rip.

IF...it is the R2 DYRL, finally with good subtitles

IF...the package does not say ROBOTECH anywhere on it.

IF...they don't dub it over with the lousy Robotech voice actors.

IF...they don't cut out ANY scenes so the 12 year olds can watch it.

THEN...it will be decent.

Personally, I don't care who owns what, it would be great to see them do DYRL the same way that Animeigo did the series.

But something tells me that they are going to Robotech it all up to be damned, and release a silly watered down version rife with big fat Tony Oliver, and hurting old Reba West all over it.

BTW - If they replace Ai Oboete Imasu Ka with We Will Win, I will burn down HG headquarters, and shoot everyone who runs out of the place trying to escape the flames.

BTW - If they replace Ai Oboete Imasu Ka with We Will Win, I will burn down HG headquarters, and shoot everyone who runs out of the place trying to escape the flames.

why would HG do something like that!????

they would obviously do "To Be In Love"... :p:lol:

If you win I'll give you $50... If I win I get your soul.

Being a white man who can't dance, I can spare it.

H

Then its a bet.

How much time do you want? How about 6 months?

H

Then its a bet.

Uh. . . I believe that there is no time limit. If no DVD shows up, neither of us win. This is about the dubbing.

That being said, I'm having flashes of the Simpsons episode where Bart sells his soul to Milhouse. So I'm back to my original offer of a doorknob. :)

H

And how has that stopped them before, Ogami?

Eweilen: I dunno...there are a few who I think would be perfect (i.e. Michael Dorn as Britai, Bruce Campbell as Roy Focker [don't laugh, I'm serious!])

One other thought...Brace yourselves for more bad Tommy Yune cover art, as you know they ain't gonna use any of the actual Mikimoto production art!

Also, AnimeonDVD brings up a good point on their site...this could also just be a gonzo marketing ploy for the superposeables, ADV's promises of a pants-crappingingly astounding license (there's a phrase I never thought I'd have occasion to use) notwithstanding.

Edited by Pat Payne

And how has that stopped them before, Ogami?

Eweilen: I dunno...there are a few who I think would be perfect (i.e. Michael Dorn as Britai, Bruce Campbell as Roy Focker [don't laugh, I'm serious!])

One other thought...Brace yourselves for more bad Tommy Yune cover art, as you know they ain't gonna use any of the actual Mikimoto production art!

Big West has the full right of DYRL so the name of Big West should be somewhere on any DYRL products and related materials.

I doubt Big West sold the full right to HG. They are not going to make the old mistake again.

Actually, considering how well Megazone 23 Prt 1 came out, I'm not too concerned about ADV's subtitle treatment for DYRL, I'm more concerned that HG wouldn't have gone through Big West to get the rights, and using those long since warn out masters that Kiseki/Best films was using. Hell, they were pre-10th anniversary!

Although "if" HG has made some reperation to Big West and gone through the proper channels, and "IF" they don't get Zero, then I'll be content.

Too be fair, IIRC, HG hasn't used unofficial Macross art to package Macross products. The DVDs and the toys both have the plain black box with the logo. We'll soon find out if they'll change this on the DYRL SPs (and the upcoming MPCs... :p:lol::lol::lol: )

Back on the dub tip - while completely ignoring AgentONE and Hurin's Devil Went Down to Georgia bet (PS - Hurin, you should have asked for a fiddle made of gold, not $50 bucks!)...

Another reason I think it may be likely that HG won't comission a dub for DYRL, is to protect their Robotech brand. Aside from "satisfying anime purists" by releasing Macross TV, Mospeada, and Southern Cross without dubs - they also are protecting Robotech by keeping all original material dub-free.

Basically, they might not want people hearing Hikaru called Hikaru instead of "Lick Hunter"... it will just confuse their branding.

But I've been wrong before, they may take that risk to milk as much money out of this as they can.

Basically, they might not want people hearing Hikaru called Hikaru instead of "Lick Hunter"... it will just confuse their branding.

Yup. Lets not forget some of the rather...odd...choices in names that HG "asked" ADV to use for the Mospeada DVDs.

H

Then its a bet.

Uh. . . I believe that there is no time limit. If no DVD shows up, neither of us win. This is about the dubbing.

That being said, I'm having flashes of the Simpsons episode where Bart sells his soul to Milhouse. So I'm back to my original offer of a doorknob. :)

H

Ok then when the DVD comes out... I don't want a door knob, I want your soul. And we already agreed its a bet.

Big West has the full right of DYRL so the name of Big West should be somewhere on any DYRL products and related materials.

I doubt Big West sold the full right to HG. They are not going to make the old mistake again.

Bandai has full rights to the HCM toys that Toynami made into the MPCs, but you don't see Bandai's name anywhere on the MPCs, do you? HG has not been known as a stickler for giving credit where credit is due.

Ok then when the DVD comes out... I don't want a door knob, I want your soul.  And we already agreed its a bet.

Will this be a painful procedure?

Edit: For the record though, I never agreed. I said I don't need it. That's hardly a bet.

Bob: How about you bet your house!

Ted: My house!?! I don't need it.

Now, there would still need to be some confirmation that it's actually part of the bet. Just saying you can spare it is hardly a bet.

Where did you learn to gamble?!?

Edited by Hurin

Ok then when the DVD comes out... I don't want a door knob, I want your soul.  And we already agreed its a bet.

Will this be a painful procedure?

Only if you lose the bet... :lol:

How do you collect on a man's soul? Just take his manhood...

I don't think there are many out there that would bet their nut sack... I need that thing, so I wouldn't.

Am I the only one who finds this very creepy?

I'm picturing AgentOne hoping to increase his bench press with the power granted to him by unwary MWer souls. . .

Anyways, see my edit above. :p

H

Its another battle in the trenches for Macross fans.

Sure we want an R1 DYRL.

Do we want it from rip off company supreme wHoremoney Gold?(when it comes to Macross anyway)

No.

I am very interested in the legal matters of this. Is this licensed through BigWest. I am betting on "No"

<_<

Am I the only one who finds this very creepy?

I'm picturing AgentOne hoping to increase his bench press with the power granted to him by unwary MWer souls. . .

Anyways, see my edit above. :p

H

Affraid to bet eh?

Think you might be needing your soul?

Thats alright... It only shows your lack of faith in your opinions.

I refer you to my original statement on this:

But, I really don't care enough about my opinion, or yours, to bet on it.

Seriously bro. This is a discussion board about anime. Who goes around saying: "Bet me money!" whenever they disagree with someone about such innocuous topics? Well, besides you.

To be perfectly honest, gambling problems have been a problem in my family. I don't bet anymore. I used to dabble in sports gambling but stopped when I saw what it can do to people. My brother's life is currently being devestated by it.

If you're so sure that my opinion is wrong, why not make a convincing counter-argument. That's what these boards are here for. Not for wagering.

H

I refer you to my original statement on this:

But, I really don't care enough about my opinion, or yours, to bet on it.

Seriously bro. This is a discussion board about anime. Who goes around saying: "Bet me money!" whenever they disagree with someone about such innocuous topics? Well, besides you.

I've actually hung out here since before iKon, like 99. You are the only one I have offered to bet with. It was only tempting because you were so sure of something you knew nothing about. I just thought, "what a sucker."

I've actually hung out here since before iKon, like 99.

Oddly, it says in your profile that you joined MW in 2002:

I joined MW in July 02

But here's the really interesting part:

It was only tempting because you were so sure of something you knew nothing about.  I just thought, "what a sucker."

Really? Here's what prompted all this:

Well, if their marketing shows that they'd sell "oodles" (a technical marketing term) more if they invested in a dub, they'd do it, I'd bet.

I could be very wrong, because I avoid HG like the plague. . . but do they have any record of releasing un-dubbed anime other than their peripheral involvement in the Animeigo DVDs?

That's me being "so sure?" Really? Is that opinion really stated so arrogantly? There are qualifying "ifs" there, along with me saying "I could be very wrong" when stating a major stipulation.

Ya know, I thought at first that we were just kidding around. But now I realize that you were actually serious (sadly) and it now looks like you're out to pick a fight. Typical.

H

Edited by Hurin

I've actually hung out here since before iKon, like 99.

Oddly, it says in your profile that you joined MW in 2002:

I joined MW in July 02

But here's the really interesting part:

It was only tempting because you were so sure of something you knew nothing about.  I just thought, "what a sucker."

No, I am not trying to pick a fight.

And I did say "hung out" when I was in college I only logged on every month or so, so every time I posted under a different name... That was back in the day when you could just type any name you wanted to post under. I never remembered the handle I used so I just used a different one each time. I only signed up as The Major in '02 because I met an MWer in person and he convinced me to hang out more.

I think I offended you and it wasn't my intention. I just knew you would back down on your stance because it was ungrounded. No big deal.

I think I offended you and it wasn't my intention. I just knew you would back down on your stance because it was ungrounded. No big deal.

Refusing to bet with strangers over anime arguments on a public internet discussion board is "backing down?"

Dude, seriously, think about that. Do you really think that's a valid test for the validity of someone's opinion? Especially one so meaningless as this?

I think HG will dub a hypothetical DYRL DVD release if their marketting research demonstrates that doing so will substantially increase sales for that DVD and therefore increase profits substantially.

Could I be wrong? Yes. I'm just making my best guess here. We're all guessing. I never claimed to have insider information nor did I state that opinion arrogantly or without qualification. So, why the hell would anyone want to bet $50 over such an issue?

My opinion here is no more ungrounded than anybody else's. Nor did I claim otherwise. In fact, I took pains to frame it humbly.

So, again, if you want me to back down from an opinion, feel free to state a counter-argument. But offering to wager is just lame and proves nothing.

H

I think I offended you and it wasn't my intention.  I just knew you would back down on your stance because it was ungrounded.  No big deal.

Refusing to bet with strangers over anime arguments on a public internet discussion board is "backing down?"

Dude, seriously, think about that. Do you really think that's a valid test for the validity of someone's opinion? Especially one so meaningless as this?

I think HG will dub a hypothetical DYRL DVD release if their marketting research demonstrates that doing so will substantially increase sales for that DVD and therefore increase profits substantially.

Could I be wrong? Yes. I'm just making my best guess here. We're all guessing. I never claimed to have insider information nor did I state that opinion arrogantly or without qualification. So, why the hell would anyone want to bet $50 over such an issue?

But it wasn't a bet for money, especially because I would have won... I wanted your soul.

But it wasn't a bet for money, especially because I would have won... I wanted your soul.

Only after I wouldn't bet money! :p

Only after I wouldn't bet money! :p

No, I only want your soul.