Harmony Gold's DYRL official DYRL site?

I wonder what is Bandai thinking about HG?

Bandai's Emotion division has the DYRL right in Japan and Bandai America can easily bring it over to North America...

PS:

Bandai is much more richer than HG. Bandai can crush HG anytime... haha :D

I know it's the worst thing that could ever happen but what if BigWest signed something that shouldn't have back in the 80's and it's coming back to bite them. I don't follow the debate thread, but I mean is there any proof otherwise aside from the fact that HG hasn't completedy raped the property yet? It's a hard truth to swallow but we may all have to face it someday... <_<

I know it's the worst thing that could ever happen but what if BigWest signed something that shouldn't have back in the 80's and it's coming back to bite them. I don't follow the debate thread, but I mean is there any proof otherwise aside from the fact that HG hasn't completedy raped the property yet? It's a hard truth to swallow but we may all have to face it someday... <_<

There's proof to the exact opposite of some of HG's claims, go read the thread sometime. But then there's a whole lot to wich there is no proof either way, since neither company seems very forthcoming.

In order to answer that question, we'd have to recapitulate the debate thread.

It's not a question whether or not it did happen. I could go thru that stupid thread over and over and it wouldn't reveal one thing. I'm just wondering if anyone here ever considered the fact of it's possibilty. I mean we all know that HG is a blood sucking leech of a company... but what if it's a blood sucking leech of a company that has a contract?

That's just it. No one really knows what has happened, and more importantly...what has been going on just recently. We can and only have been speculating on what little facts there have been. Which is what message boards are usually for. :D

In order to answer that question, we'd have to recapitulate the debate thread.

It's not a question whether or not it did happen. I could go thru that stupid thread over and over and it wouldn't reveal one thing. I'm just wondering if anyone here ever considered the fact of it's possibilty. I mean we all know that HG is a blood sucking leech of a company... but what if it's a blood sucking leech of a company that has a contract?

Actually, whenever new facts became available on the topic, the debate thread has become very informative. It's unfortunate that people like to rehash baseless arguments and make snide comments over and over again at times when there is no new news. The majority of the thread is useless, sure, but there are nuggets of information, such as two independantly translated versions of at least one court case, the verdicts of several other court cases (all between Big West and Tatsunoko who sold HG whatever rights they own). The revalation that HG has been unwilling to enforce the cease and desist letters they have sent out, and all sorts of other things dating way, way back to the thread's inception and even stuff before that.

People have called for the thread to be closed at several points, but whenever something new is brought to light, that thread becomes a vital forum for debate and information.

And to answer your question, yes the possiblity that HG has a contract that makes some of their claims, and even all of their claims, has been brought u;p and debated over several times. There are those on these boards that firmly believe HG does have a contract that puts them in the right.

I'm hoping that sometime, someone with more free time than myself decides to go through the thread, checking all the facts and seperating them from all of the conjecture, and organizes a website based around the entire legal debate around Macross, simply because the debate thread itself is so unreadable due to all the filler.

What we know is HG got rights from Tatsunoko, and Tatsunoko doesn't have rights to everything.

What they DO own will only start an endless debate, complete with pictures and babelfish translations.

Too be fair, IIRC, HG hasn't used unofficial Macross art to package Macross products. The DVDs and the toys both have the plain black box with the logo. We'll soon find out if they'll change this on the DYRL SPs (and the upcoming MPCs... :p:lol::lol::lol: )

Sorry for digging this up, but on review it stuck in my head...

Madman Entertainment in Australia for their release of SDF:Macross received everything from HG, and the best art HG provided them, almost the only art provided them was the Tommy Yune MPC pilot images, so technically they have offered distinct RT art as Macross.

Cyc

If they've got the domain names for all of the original works (plus the Macross sequels) bought out, they obviously think they've got something going, or at least are anticipating it.

Not neccesarily. Perhaps they're simply playing dirty. Domain names are first come, first serve. Even if they have no rights to the shows, they can hold onto the domain names to spite BW, or to charge them way too much money for them.

Not me, sorry :)

But funny story along those lines...

I did express interest in mospeada.com once upon a, but a Singapore cyber-squater had beaten me to it...

I wonder if HG got it back via the infringement of our trademark defense or by ponying up the cash.

Cyc

I did express interest in mospeada.com once upon a, but a Singapore cyber-squater had beaten me to it...

I wonder if HG got it back via the infringement of our trademark defense or by ponying up the cash.

Cyc

Probably the latter, as domain names are first come, first serve. That's why squatters make so much money.

Cool.

To get back on topic, if RT.com says the Macross DYRL poseables are officially licensed, and they are pushing the whole 20th anniversary...maybe they did snag the rights to it. Doesn't mean they could be the only ones.

Cyc

Probably the latter, as domain names are first come, first serve. That's why squatters make so much money.

Acutally, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act outlawed cybersquatting. The only cybersquatting that continues are those who go unnoticed or uncared for by their respective copyright owners.

Hurin, the HG-licensed ADV versions of Mospeada and Southern Cross were also released un-dubbed. Dunno about anything else they may have done. Of course, the point of those two series (like the Animeigo Macross) was to capture the market consisting of people who really care about getting the unsullied originals; for the rest there is Robotech. I'm sure there are people who would like to see the originals without having to read subtitles, but I doubt there are very many for whom that's a dealbreaker.

Hard to say about DYRL, though.

That's funny? I've just place an order for the entire Genesis Climber MOSPEADA series on Netflix.

PUKE, BARF!!! Haven't we suffered enough? Oh mighty Anime Gods, please send me a TON of cash so that I may buy HG and disband it forever!!! The last thing we need is HG and anything related to the Anti-Christ of Anime Carl Macek to twist and screw up our beloved DYRL!

Okay...I think this can now officially be carried over into the usual HG debate thread. It was a useful announcement, but I just know if it degenerates into a "let's bash HG for the umpteenth time without saying anything useful" thread, He Who Must Remain Nameless (i.e. BoK --dammit!) will pop up, and that'd be no fun for anyone concerned.

hey, BankofKev is a member in good standing, just like the rest of us.... his anime tastes just happen to swing in the opposite direction (we might call him "misguided", but he might say the same about us! :) )

I am forced to agree though. Richard was cool for bringing it up, but the post has outlived it's usefulness.

Least until the site gets updated with an R1 release of DYRL on DVD.

Oh wait, then people will start ranting even more. :wacko:

Depends. I think there's a number of people who will bitch no matter what HG does, but the AnimEigo DVD set went over pretty well. I hope that if they did get the rights to DYRL?, then they let AnimEigo do the honours again. That would make a lot of people happy, and gaurantee the release won't get screwed up. AnimEigo does good work.

Depends. I think there's a number of people who will bitch no matter what HG does, but the AnimEigo DVD set went over pretty well. I hope that if they did get the rights to DYRL?, then they let AnimEigo do the honours again. That would make a lot of people happy, and gaurantee the release won't get screwed up. AnimEigo does good work.

Agreed. Apart from one or two very minor things I don't know what you could complain about with their treatment of Macross.

I'd be much happier to see them get it rather than ADV (ugh) for example.