Sin City - the movie

I started out loathing this movie. The scenes with Josh Harnett and also the beginning scenes between Willis and Madsen were awful. It felt like they were reading cue cards on Sat Night Live. These must have been the test shots they showed Miller to convince him to allow them to shoot the movie.

I totally agree, those initial scenes felt really stilted and awkward.

Movie turned out pretty good though, was nothing amazing but a fun movie to watch. Far and away the best movie based on a comic book, I think.

As a Frank Miller and Sin City fan I have to say that its about time.

It was about time Miller got to bring one of his creations to the screen faithfully.

It was about time someone knew that comics as a visual medium didnt have to be so "adapted" to fit the film medium.

I was amazed at the shot for shot look of the film.(minus a few scenes I noticed missing)

Mickey Rourke should get an award for nailing a charicter so good and so unbelievable at the same time.

All of the cast was great overall. Elijah wood...el creepo.

One of my all time favorites now.

9/10

I just saw the movie last night and I loved it. I have to agree that it is the most true to the comics of any comic book movie I've ever seen. The imagery worked perfectly and it affected the mood of the story just as it did in the books.

I think I liked Bruse Willis as Hartigan the best with Mickey Rourke's portrayal of Marv as a very close second. Both were great. Everyone involved did a great job really.

The violence was of course over the top, but I think the movie shows that these characters are constantly being pushed around by evil forces and the ones that try to do good kind of snap and have to go over the top to stop the bad guys.

I thought that the dialogue in the beginning was stilted also, but I think that's the way it was supposed to be and that you probably got used to it as the film progressed and then it didn't bother you because it kinda fit in.

This is definitely a movie my wife would not enjoy, but anyone who enjoyed the comics would love this. It is a near perfect translation to film. As some of the others have suggested, I highly recommend "The Dark Night Returns" a masterpiece by Miller and story that somehow redefined Batman without even being in the normal story/timeline of Batman comics.

I have one more subject to touch on.(boy would I like to touch on it :p ) The women in the movie were all gorgeous. The mom from SpyKids?!? :o and Jessica Alba! Forget the cowgirl outfit, when she was in the plain white T-Shirt that really knocked me out!

Any way, that 's my $.02 Be prepared if you go to see this movie. It will probably not be what you are expecting and that is a good thing!!

I thought that the dialogue in the beginning was stilted also, but I think that's the way it was supposed to be and that you probably got used to it as the film progressed and then it didn't bother you because it kinda fit in.

I don't believe that it was something that we got used to... I was so worried the rest of the movie was going to be like that for the rest that I really paid attention. Willis's exchange with Madsen the next time around was 100% better.

This wasnt a movie it was a living breathing comic book

I gotta agree with this, as much as this was the way to go with Sin City, I never want anyone else to try doing it this way. I can't imagine screenwriters taking dialogie straight out of a lesser writer's comic book. I'm fine with the adaptations and I'm very much looking forward to Batman Begins, but I don't think I want to see them do a shot by shot and the dialogue from Batman: Year One, even though it's still a Miller comic book. Hopefully filmmakers will realize that this is stylistic, not a formula...

I saw it and absolutely loved it. I too thought the Josh Hartnet scene at the beginning didn't flow too well but once it got to Hartigan I started to enjoy it. Marv's story was excellent, with Hartigan's being a bit better. It was fun seeing a pshcopathic Elijah Wood, even if he looked a little two-dimensional when Marv was through with him.It had plenty of good lines and moments too. The look was great, the girls were all gorgeous, the action intense without overdoing it, and it had a brain. What more could you want?

I'm definitely thinking of checking out the comics and maybe that Miller Batman Fortress mentioned. :ph34r:

Just back from Loews. Here are my thoughts.

The Salesman and the Customer

Strangely enough, I really enjoyed the opening little set-piece. Slow, stilted dialogue, true, but maybe that was because they both knew why they were there? They both knew, ultimately, that what they said would be nothing more than warm-up for the kill. It must suck to kill so many beautiful women in your line of work though, poor Josh.

That Yellow Bastard

Kudos to Bruce Willis and Jessica Alba on this one. I won't say the directing in this was fantastic, and it might in fact (as people have said) have been a tad stretched out. Still, the acting more than made up for it. I mean, they managed to make a 19-60 age gap look plausible (and respectable).

OK I'll come off it. This was the best, even though I'll say differently below. It had the most Jessica Alba. :D

The Big Fat Kill

Yay Benicio del Toro and Brittany Murphy, nay Clive Owen and Rosario Dawson. IMHO Clive wasn't in his usual form for this one. I don't know anything about Rosario, but I'd have to say she was unconvincing as well. Almost ... awkward romance. This story was probably the least compelling of the lot as well, so maybe that contributed somewhat. Gotta love the Irish accent though ;)

No comments on Devon Aoki. She didn't so much act as ... keep a straight face.

Sin City

Man, Mickey Rourke! Jaime King! And let's not forget Carla Gugino's almost perpetual state of half-nudity! This chapter stole the show, for sure. The action sequences were so implausible - so ridiculous, if one stepped back to think about it - and yet, I was completely taken. Add to that Miller's omnipresent black humour and we have a winner. Man, Elijah Wood! One hell of a choice of role. If he keeps this up, he'll never be typecast.

Overall, great for fans of the comics, OK to Good for casual movie-goers. I'd recommend it just for the unique style, if nothing else.

Edited by shiyao

Saw the movie last night. It sure was unique....very beautiful artistic style. I gotta be honest though, to me it seemed long winded and a little too depressing/gory. I think if the movie was 1 1/2 hrs long it would've been much more enjoyable.

After a while the gore and over the top acting (which was done well and totally fit the movie I must say) just seemed to get to me. That's my two cents.

Just got back from seeing this movie. I agree that the exchange between Michael Madsen and Willis at the begining was pretty painful. But, taken as a whole, the tone set by the first conversation let you know what you're in for; it's a comic, brought to live action and not every line spoken in a comic can be replicated without sounding just plains stupid in real life. The movie had a lot of style and I'd strongly reccomend it to anyone, not just Frank Miller fans. Now, if Warner's would reconsider Batman:Year One, or The Dark Knight Returns (no, don't even bring up DK2, ever, ever....ahh the pain....)

Just got back from seeing this movie. I agree that the exchange between Michael Madsen and Willis at the begining was pretty painful. But, taken as a whole, the tone set by the first conversation let you know what you're in for; it's a comic, brought to live action and not every line spoken in a comic can be replicated without sounding just plains stupid in real life. The movie had a lot of style and I'd strongly reccomend it to anyone, not just Frank Miller fans. Now, if Warner's would reconsider Batman:Year One, or The Dark Knight Returns (no, don't even bring up DK2, ever, ever....ahh the pain....)

I'd have to blame that exchange solely on Madson. He pretty much just sucked throughout the film. Rodriguez should have tried to get more out of him - but damn, he was lame. You could almost see him reading the words off a teleprompter or something.

Overall, I thought the movie was alright. I like Rouke as Marv. That story was great. The last story with where Bruce Willis kills himself wasnt great. Dont get me wrong here... Jessica Alba was just pure hotness. If she asked me to do her, I would say HELL YEAH. It was just a story that wasnt all that great.

Saw the movie last night. I totally agree with all of your comments, but there's a couple of moments which got my guts turn a bit. One in particular is when the proll-office got captured in the cell with that guy from the "goldi" story, then went into describing how the pysco-kid ate her hand and making her watch in the process was just a bit much for me. And the next will probably be the dog part, which I won't go into details to avoid spolier but for those who saw it, you know what I'm talking about. Overall, I think it's a great movie. Very intense characters and for sure not a family movie or ones with a faint heart. Try to avoid a big dinner before watching this movie might help a bit. :lol:

L.,

Edited by leo

Speaking of the Marv's parole officer....she was HOT HOT HOT! Just thought I'd share that. Carla Gugino(sp?) was a very welcome sight. I went in looking forward to some Jessica Alba drooling, but she stole the show for me.

She was in the defunct Karen Sisco TV show.

I knew I'd seen her before, wasn't she also in that really bad Jet Li flick "The One"?

she was in a bunch of flicks....spy kids, son in law(great flick)and yes, the one. :D

if you want to see her naked, check out the movie "jaded". supposedly she gets all sorts of naked in it. :ph34r:

Speaking of the Marv's parole officer....she was HOT HOT HOT! Just thought I'd share that. Carla Gugino(sp?) was a very welcome sight. I went in looking forward to some Jessica Alba drooling, but she stole the show for me.

I am so with you one this one. I had only known Gugino from her appearance on Spy Kids. She was so beautiful in Sin City, I was catching myself watching and thinking about her onscreen a little more than I should :) Quite a different role for her and I must say I'm quite taken.

I went and saw it last Friday. I must say it's probably one of the best movies this year thus far. I don't think there's a single movie from last year that could compare with Sin City either.... There were too many nut shots/blows...everytime I saw one I just cringed. Very dark movie...but brilliant and beautiful in my opinion.

I was going to last weekend but other stuff was going on and I couldn't... that said, should be going this coming weekend.

I'm happy to hear the movie's good. I was a little worried when the early reviews came in with some Cs.

Heh... mine did too, Jackson.

I'm hoping it shows that she's awesome. :D

A couple days later, reading through the comments here - I'm reminded of another reason Sin City is a great movie. Having read the comics and knowing (almost literally) what I'll be seeing... I didn't really appreciate at the time what a bold flick this is.

Think about it. When was the last time you saw Bruce Willis (or any major character/Hollywood star) kill themselves... even if it truly makes sense? The thing about Sin City is the camera doesn't do that "tastefully turning away" bit that you see in almost everything now.

In the typical Hollywood studio world... that sort of thing never makes it past the screenplay. Kudos to Rodriguez and Miller keeping their balls and not trying to make a movie that will please everyone. A good film should show you something new or make you squirm, if that's it's intent.

Well saw the movie and to say the least, it's quite unique, it was like watching a comic book :blink: The color effects are really nice, they're really eye catching with the rest being black and white. Action wise, this movie is really awsome, lots of action and it felt like watching a comic book, really crazy stuff, really different from anything else made, for once they actually did it right, i highly recommend it B))