Progress shots Resin Rei figure

Sam

Im only using them in the in between the week that im makign a model, so they tend to be ok =)

Now, I couldn't resist doing more, cuz i have to redo the face skintone anyway, so I thought i would do the main part of the hair ! Pretty happy with it actually. First colours i did were way too dark, but now I woke up to myself and did it Rei colour its much better IMO.

Got the lavender in there as well, just for u David!  :D Again, it doesn't seem to show up in the pix.. <_<

Time to go watch Las Vegas on tele!  :p  :p

The hair looks perfect, you got just the right shade there.

Yeap. I agree. :)

Now the eyes....another hard one. Make sure ya take progress shots yeah?

Told you, it's all about the purple. Just enough to change the shade, without making you think "purple" at all. But it's in there, and you end up with the perfect shade. Look at the very darkest bits of hair in the upper left pic, and you should be able to tell it's there. It's not so much as an overall purple, more of a "the shadowed areas have a purplish tint"

PS, Sam----that eye looks perfect to me.

Edited by David Hingtgen

:)

Well, have done the eyes today, its such a lovely day outside*not at all actually, its windy and overcaste, just the way I like it cuz then i dont feel bad staying inside and painting all day hehe :p *

in this attached pix, I tried to show the step by step, but I just couldn't get it to focus very well, so this is the best out of a dozen or so shots !

Basically white out the eyeball, let it dry so the paints dont mix up.

Then did the iris in the red, added white to red for the pinkish colour thats a crescent shape for the bottom section of the iris, then did a black with red for the top section of the iris, added a black pupil, then let dry. If u look at the computer pic above you will see the sections im talking bout :)

After a minute I then thin black right down, so it goes on easy, and i outline the top of the eye for her lashes, the also a light outline around her iris, none of this can really be seen i dont think on these pix, cept maybe top right one.. <_<:( but they are there!

I then attached the fringe on with some 5 minute epoxy that takes 10 minutes to dry <_< then the gap i knew that was going to be there I filled up with light blue paint, kinda like a Mr surfacer idea. I did this because Mr surfacer would eat at the paint otherwise, and I dont have any gentle putty fillers, so paint it was :)

Once thats dry I will lightly spray the highlights again, redo the skin on the back of her neck, and see what else looks wrong.

Should be able to be completely finished today or tomorrow I reckon! :lol::):)

post-26-1084857621_thumb.jpg

Thought i would tag this shot on, its of the feet, which casting wise was a little.. uh.. crappy, but its sorta ok now.

Even though Rei wouldnt' wear nail polish I dont reckon, I stil put pink on where they would be, cuz fingers tend to have a colouration there anyway, and its a bit more feminine too, so it couldn't hurt :)

Thats bout it for now, gotta let it dry more. Might take a group shot of all the figure models I have done recently, cuz they were all a lead up to this fig and Misato who is yet to come :blink::)

post-26-1084857888.jpg

see what kind of day it is from my backyard, lifeless grey sky!! its damn cold too, and lotsa wind.... :(

post-26-1084858047_thumb.jpg

I don't know. Maybe cause the picture's not focused enuff but....the eyes look droopy towards a weird angle thus making the eyes abit too big causing Rei to look....very sad.

Just a thought with the photos...

Last time I had a glare problem, I layered kleenex on top of the flash.

It reduces the light coming out and diffuses it as well.

It's certainly nothing like a real diffuser, but it works if you get enough layers on(exactly how many will, of course, vary with ambient lighting, distance, and likely the flash and kleenex used).

poor ol Rei, shes never really happy though is she? :p

The kit has pre formed eye sockets, so its still within those, so maybe its the angle? Looks ok in real life, well, to me :)

Tried that idea with the kleenex, I *think* it sorta helped, but I still suck at it :p:D:D

but heres a put together shot. Couldn't wait to do the hair seamline.. :rolleyes:

post-26-1084863547_thumb.jpg

Still need to matte finish, but that will come later..

more shots ... this should hopefully show shes not really that sad.. :)

post-26-1084863635_thumb.jpg

Yeah its the angle. Looks better up close now. The eyes appear to look up in the sky abit though....as if giving a :rolleyes: look. But otherwise it looks uber.

:o:o:o

Kawaii.

Excellent work, she looks great. It a good "caught her by surprize" pose, not sad at all, but more like a "little embarassed you're getting a picture of her" pose.

:o:o:o

Kawaii.

Excellent work, she looks great. It a good "caught her by surprize" pose, not sad at all, but more like a "little embarassed you're getting a picture of her" pose.

If you wanna go deeper into that, then its more like "Konnai de, sukebe!" (don't come near me, you pervert!) :lol::lol:

:):):) Thanks very much for the nice feedback on her :):):)

Now, as you can probably see in the previous pics that nasty seam on her head? Well, its very annoying, especially seeing as because of her pose, its the first thing that hits u, so I have just fixed it tonight...

Last night I put some testors contour putty on, let it set overnight * does anyone know a good putty that is decent for filling gaps after being put together? something that doesn't eat paint? maybe in a tube or something? * anyway, got it shaped tonight using a knife to main shape, then some careful sandpapering, then airbrushed on the hair colours again after figureing out that handbrushing just wouldnt' cut it <_< Thankfully I had some purple and blue mix in my jars left, :D

So anyways, shes all good now, all filled up, still a little visible but wont be noticeable unless really looking for it I think, so NOBODY look for it please B)):p

THanks again. :)

BTW, the top left is just the putty, the rest are after painting.. :)

post-26-1084968405_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sam

SWEET!!! Sam, can you post the pics of your finished model?

:):) Sure. here they are. :)

I get to start late today at work for late night shopping so I can actually take photos using natural light! its a lot nicer I think than flash :)

Yeh, the seam has pretty much dissappeared*thankfully*, unless you are really looking for it :D

post-26-1085098397_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sam

B))

Thanks very much. :)

I will be posting up progress shots on the misato buildup i will be doing too, only just started it, filling holes and stuff <_< but on the upside of things, I just got in the mail my new airbrush!

Even though i didn't have anything to paint I just had to try it out, and compared to my aztek I have, this new iwata is so nice with its trigger, comes out when you want it too, not intermittent or anything, beautiful stuff!! It is not as comfortable as the aztek to hold, cuz its straight as an arrow, and I can see my hand getting tired quicker cuz its heavier, but still, i think it will be worth it for the improved control!

But I have so much sanding puttying etc to do befoer i get to play with it properly..*sigh*

:)

Excellent work!

The skintone's shading seems a bit too pink, but where it's not, the colors are very nice. I love the hair colors as well. It's not overdone like others I've seen.

One gripe: Her right leg doesn't lay flat on the table's surface...

But overall, very nice work. Let's see what you do with that Misato.

Actually, if I want to see any figures built, I would want to see this:

http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.php/c...products_id/649

And/or this:

http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.php/c...roducts_id/1223

Nice job! :)

Excellent work!

The skintone's shading seems a bit too pink, but where it's not, the colors are very nice. I love the hair colors as well. It's not overdone like others I've seen.

One gripe: Her right leg doesn't lay flat on the table's surface...

But overall, very nice work. Let's see what you do with that Misato.

Actually, if I want to see any figures built, I would want to see this:

http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.php/c...products_id/649

And/or this:

http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.php/c...roducts_id/1223

Yeh, its more the pink instead of the yellow tone I like cuz its Rei, shes sorta more in my opinion an 'albino', and their colouring tends to be pinks and whites. I did do the other figures of mine, like elf babe, in the yellows, cuz they aren't the pasty colour :) I personally like yellow tones more, but albino won out this time :p

Love hobbyfan, got some kits from there to build as well :):)

As for that leg, this kit was on of those cheapy ebay jobs, and i had already done the painting and didn't want to cut n glue like i did on my china dress babe, *it involved me cutting her at the ankle to re align, good fun, and pretty seamless :D *

Im going to make a towel from sculpy thats bunched under her knee to counteract the balance thing, so it hasn't gone unnoticed her irregularity, specially when she face dives the counter cuz of it <_<<_<

And again everyone thanks for the kind words. :):)

Can't wait for your progress shots on the misato buildup!!! I'm pretty sure you'll make somebody here very happy, Anubis that is.

My hobby fan pre-painted Misato arrived today. :) Awesome. Pics to come in separate thread not to steal Sam's.

Can't wait for your progress shots on the misato buildup!!! I'm pretty sure you'll make somebody here very happy, Anubis that is.

My hobby fan pre-painted Misato arrived today. :) Awesome. Pics to come in separate thread not to steal Sam's.

lol. THanks for being considerate mate :):) my threads have been hijackked a lot before too, so thanks :lol:

I reckon that misato with her gun has got to be THE best figure of her that I have seen. There were some other figures done that I thought still had a bit of misato 'essence', but this one shows her 'business' side. Theres a nice one of her sitting on the ground with a towel around and drying her hair with another towel, *not hentai at all, very tasteful :p * that I also want to get.

I reckon the best face i have seen painted is the one by Cody at codyscoop. Hes a bloody legend, the William Cheng of figures!!! :):):p:):D

i hope mine turns out half as good!!

Tried that idea with the kleenex, I *think* it sorta helped, but I still suck at it  :p  :D  :D

Glad to help.

The pics look a LOT nicer now.

The flesh is, well, flesh. Not washed-out overexposed white pasty parts.

Nice work, BTW. Looks beautiful.

And I love your photos. You've got a pretty good eye for composition.

Edited by JB0

:):) Thanks :)

I just made up my solution to the lopsided leg, its a towel I scratch built from super sculpy. B))

Using a rolling pin to get it flat, then the rough edge of a file I use on resin, I created the toweling look, and then added indentations at either end with a small edge for the decorative borders of the towel. ;)

Then the hard part of trying to fold it like a towel, and being sculpy, and NOT soft material, it was kinda harder than I thought, but anyways, the end result was decent enough, but still not quite good nuff.... soooooooooooooooooooooooo..

I got my first proper go with my new airbrush.... shaded it completely and added in extra folds using paint that I couldn't physically put there cuz the sculpy is too thick *for strength* and i am totally lovin using this new brush... awesome control, and Im getting used to the direct feed cup on top of it.. :)

So overall its a fairly decent end result. Not too shabby for a 15dollar-brittle-as-hell white resin kit! heh :lol::D:p

I think its possible to see the new misato im making now in the background.. shes coming along nicely so far, doing TONNES of sanding though.. and now waiting for putty to dry*seems to take forever, not sure if its meant to though. testors contour putty, anyone know how long its MEANT to take?Tah.* I will post pics when im into a painting stage i think. Anubis has his pix up of his pre built so hopefully it will turn out half as decent :)

post-26-1085234568_thumb.jpg