Progress shots Resin Rei figure

Sam

Well ppl, this is the resin figure that I was saying i had that I was going to build up, so heres a few shots showing off the lil gal.. :)

I got it from ebay seller, its the cheap white brittle resin, which i didn't know was meant to be crap, its just that I ordered something from hobby fan, and hobbyfans resin is just beautiful to work with!! :D it doesn't snap, has good molding, no pits that I can see that are bad, very very nice, so I recommend anyone to go there for kits, unless you dont mind working a bit harder, which i dont, cuz im lazy :p

Anyway, this first shot is just a compare for those who have perfect Rei to get an idea of her size. Also you can see where mr surfacer is on it, there are LOTS of pits.. ugh... not clean at all.. little did I know the first coat of undercoat shows it up a lot worse...! <_<

post-26-1084542403_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sam

This next one is after i had done an undercoat, did some extra puttying, and now have put a dark shading in. I have a standard flesh coat I had mixed out of my red yellow white already on it, so this is just for the cracks so to speak :)

You can sorta see the torso in the background which i have used nato black on cuz its a flat black, looks like the spandex? rubber? that swimsuits look to be made of, but think I will have to add some 'wet' bits to tie in with the wet t shirt idea..

* this is what all those other see through figures I did were for, practice for my Rei which im confident I will do a half decent job now :)

post-26-1084542685.jpg

This is the only other shot i have at the moment, can see the nato black a lot better, its the same colour I will be using for Misatos black dress,*did i mention i am so looking forward to making that model? :p *

fleshed out the arms a little bit cuz they will be see through the shirt as well, but there will be a lot of points where I think the shirt wont touch, its all going to be play by ear though, see how it looks as I go. B))

The bottom of the two pix sorta shows my shading up the best, its still had to see in the pix, but was using more yellow in the flesh to stop her being so anemic, which while we know Rei kinda is powder girl, I wanted her to be a bit more normal... who know, might change my mind again, already did her flesh 3 times tonight cuz i wasn't happy :D

Well thats it for tonight, got to work the weekend so may/may not do more in the next couple of days. See how I go. :)

Adios B))

Sam

post-26-1084542955_thumb.jpg

ok now thats a just creepy, looks like a dismembered rei put up on pikes to inspire fear into anyone else who might disobey gendo's orders

Got that right!!! Sam, more progress pics please!

ok now thats a just creepy, looks like a dismembered rei put up on pikes to inspire fear into anyone else who might disobey gendo's orders

Only thing missing is puddles of blood.

You guys aint right.

Good work so far, Sam!

Ah, blue you say?

Well, I just did a respray tonight and amended that oversight, thanks for bringing to my attention :)

Tonight was fairly basic, wasted a bit of paint though cuz too tired, made mistakes, etc etc... but anyways, after using tamiya masking tape to block off the face and the arms, I was able to do the hair in a few shades of blue, mixed in a little bit with the nato black for the darker areas, sky blue for the highlights, and clear blue to bring it together. I am *so* going to dark wash the hair cuz it needs detail I think, and it wont hurt to dry brush some highlights too me thinks :p

The pic looks too bright for what it really is on the hair, I guess im still no camera man, but at least its fairly decent idea on how its coming along.

Damn this working on weekends bit. Sux <_<

Time to eat n sleep methinks.

Thanks for feedback by the way, kinda a bit disturbing bout ur thoughs on dismemberment and Gendos wayward ways though...*backs away slowly* :p

Sam

post-26-1084617971_thumb.jpg

If it's not to late, Rei's hair has a distinctly lavender hue. Add in some purple. Or maybe do the highlights with it. 99% of Rei's get their hair painted with purely a white+blue paint mix, and it always looks SLIGHTLY off. Gotta add just a HINT of purple in it, if you really want it to match.

David Hingtgen, purplish-blue-haired anime chick enthusiast. :)

:)

Well, tried to add some wash purple in, didn't show through on the pix, might have to redo it a bit.. actually I redid the whole hair again :p Basically put the pure white highlights in so I could clearblue and purple over it, but the purple got lost in the clear so might have to do it again

Also started up on the wet t shirt , basically painted by hand the raised edges in white, then misting over in the white. ONly did the basic coat tonight, theres a lot thats annoying me about it at the moment so will maybe end up redoing a bit, but gots to let it dry, and its also near midnight and should go to sleep :D

post-26-1084631734_thumb.jpg

i think i should have misted first, then added highlights now, in hindsight...*sigh*

anyway, thats all I have in me tonight, might do some more tomorrow :)

post-26-1084631807_thumb.jpg

P.S.

sorry bout the glare, the flesh on the arms doesn't show up at all cuz of flash i thinks...

kinda makes it look really bad, but its only slightly bad.. hehe

hoooo.. man, talk bout pressure of high standards :(:p

Ive run into a spot of bother which i found out just before going ot bed last night. Where I had masked for painting the hair and the body, I had left it *the mask* on too long, and its affected the paint very badly, pitting, pulling, making a complete mess.

Its a total loss, and Im not sure how to get this semi cured acyrilic off without sanding away features or damaging it... also the bottom half of the body got a similar but not as bad, so a few coats of paint and minor sanding will solve it.. but as for her head...*sigh*... its quite dissappointing.. might have to soak the whole thing and start from scratch, which might not be so bad, im not happy with the hair now, ive gone too dark according to that pic. *sigh again*

no pix, im trying to fix it now, I hope it turns out half as good as the pic u got there wolfx, really I do :(

thanks

Sam

Well, a couple of hours later, or maybe hour half, I have cleaned up the head as best as I reckon i need to, by spraying heaps of acrylic thinner onto the head, and using a toothbrush, getting rid of most of the paint..

Note to self and others, when spraying lots of thinner, wear face mask sooner than later, as Im sure the room is NOT meant to be moving like it is right now.... :blink::blink:

So now i have it pretty clean, start from scratch again, but at least it has allowed me to glue the side pieces of hair in place, and put some putty in the places I think I need it.. theres gonna be a god awful seam between the fringe and back of the head it seems.. :(

post-26-1084704858_thumb.jpg

Now the good news for the evening... i now have pretty much finalised how the torso looks... sprayed on some lighter colour for the bottom half of the swimmers, and then coated with nato/clearblue, so now looks bout right to me... :)

also put some more colour of the swimmers showing through on her back, then feathered white over and finelined the ridges with airbrush again. So now Im fairly content thats all I need to do to it, short of adding colour to her little badge but that will come last... :rolleyes:

Well thts it for now cuz its all drying, so next couple of days will yeild some more pix and progress. :) For now i have to be patient and DONT TOUCH the drying paint... ;)

post-26-1084705117_thumb.jpg

Note to self and others, when spraying lots of thinner, wear face mask sooner than later, as Im sure the room is NOT meant to be moving like it is right now.... :blink::blink:

LMAO! :lol:

But dude...that's looking real good!! I can't really imagine how you did that transparent effect, but damn its good! I'm amazed.... :o

Keep it up.

:)

Thanks for the kind words, I hope this next pic might help point out how I achieved this look. B))

I have seen it done other ways, mine almost seems the hard way in comparison, but it did I wanted it too, so thats the main thing! :p

I have an aztek airbrush, trying to use the finest tip, but its not always consistent in how it dispenses the paint, sometimes I get a blob bust out, and i ruin a paint job I might have been working on for a long time, but now i have en'route an iwata hpc, which should kick arse in the fine line dept! I have heard only good things so far on this brush, so fingers crossed. * only hope my existing hose will fit it, ...* :huh:

But anyway, tonight i did another skin tone on Reis face, but my pix dont show it up too well, but here is the photo anyway :( Basically a standard skin tone I mixed up myself, a little bit of yellow added for highlighted skin, a bit more red for her pinkish edging skin. Its a decent effect when viewed in person, but its too subtle to pick up on my 2.1 megapixel camera it seems... :(<_<

Tomorrow i finally have a day off, so after it dries tonight, a quick airbrush of hair so her face doesn't come off again from the tape's tack, and I will be close to finishing up. :)

Definatly not the best example of this, skills wise, its still decent nuff for me to display I reckon LOL

post-26-1084789561_thumb.jpg

BTW, for anyone playing round with paints a lot, as you know they cost way too much, so i just invested in these little paint jars so i can save all my custom colours! =)

post-26-1084789788.jpg

:blink: Whoops, forgot to add the 'instructions' picture :blink:

Hey....that's pretty neat!! Doesn't seem so hard anymore actually....hmmm....unfortunately resins are expensive stuff to practice on. Sigh.

Hey, now you can make her hair slightly lavender! :)

PS--while her eye color varies a LOT, straight red never looks good. Go with either pinky-red, or brownish-red.

LOL..ur addicted mate, totally, thoroughly, and completely! :lol::p

But ur right, it will be 'hued' this time :)

As for her eyes, im totally looking forward to it, its like my fav part of the model i think.. ! :) the way im gonna be doing it like on the attached pic i just quickly roughed up. It will blend better though in paints :p

And wolfx, resins are totall accessable cuz i keep an eye out on ebay, thats all these are, just cheap crappy white resin, brittle as all heck but I got them to practice on. Even this Rei was only a cheapy. Its not the best mold as i said in the beginning of this thread

The good kits I haven't touched yet, they will be AFTER i have done my next four or five cheapies.. :):) I have two to do, final battle version of Beat angel escalayer, and another beauty not sure whats shes called... but will show it off when its done...

Mind u, the ones on ebay are usually kinda ecchi,or hentai style, or just crap LOL. Get some though, practice on it, then save up for Hobbyfan, its what i did! :)

I wish it was dry so I could go and do the hair, !! *sigh* might go down and check it... might be ok for doing something extra tonight..?

post-26-1084793189.jpg

Im only using them in the in between the week that im makign a model, so they tend to be ok =)

Now, I couldn't resist doing more, cuz i have to redo the face skintone anyway, so I thought i would do the main part of the hair ! Pretty happy with it actually. First colours i did were way too dark, but now I woke up to myself and did it Rei colour its much better IMO.

Got the lavender in there as well, just for u David! :D Again, it doesn't seem to show up in the pix.. <_<

Time to go watch Las Vegas on tele! :p:p

post-26-1084797566_thumb.jpg

Im only using them in the in between the week that im makign a model, so they tend to be ok =)

Now, I couldn't resist doing more, cuz i have to redo the face skintone anyway, so I thought i would do the main part of the hair ! Pretty happy with it actually. First colours i did were way too dark, but now I woke up to myself and did it Rei colour its much better IMO.

Got the lavender in there as well, just for u David! :D Again, it doesn't seem to show up in the pix.. <_<

Time to go watch Las Vegas on tele! :p:p

The hair looks perfect, you got just the right shade there.