Official Gundam Plamodel Thread

I'm close on finishing, but I'll have to pick up more Brilliant Blue after work, I ran out on the last tree, and I made a big mistake on 2 others, so I gotta repaint them (accidentally touched up with the wrong blue : / )

I'd say, thus far the most difficult ordeal with this kit, are the screws. You don't know which ones to use, and if your not careful you'll strip the heads right off them so your stuck with it. Luckly I'm doing judgement calls on areas to see if they'd need screws or not.

So far, I'd say the putting together the power coils over the chest were the most challenging cause it doesn't look like their big enough to wrap around the chest, but they're just springs so it all works out just fine.

After work as well, after picking up a new can of Brilliant Blue, I'll also go to radio shack, hmmm maybe after lunch instead, and I'll pick up some batteries. PG's need lit up eyes, even if its difficult to do.

post-600-1124069617_thumb.jpg

I was going to try to paint some of the runners today, ut it was way too hot in the garage to mess with it. So in two weeks I'll try again (going to Otakon this weekend)

I'm going to go with the Char scheme. I picked up my paint cans on Saturday. I picked up Metallic Black x 3, Metallic Red x 2, Maroon x 1 (they didn't have Burgundy, but this should work good as well), and Gloss aluminum for the engine parts.

post-514-1124069688_thumb.jpg

me too I can't WAIT to see how this baby turns out, I've been doing a pretty good job on the build up this far.

Personally, I really wanna shoot for a complete frame build up tonight since I have late shift monday-friday at work.

Yeah! I had a good time working on the frame as well on mine. I'm going a little wild on my GPO as well. I like Zakus alot I'm glad I got two more. Keep the pics coming.

wow, you guys work quick. I got my PG zaku but I didn't even open the box yet. Just didn't have room to setup a work area in my room, too much junk that I need to clean again. :( But at least hey shipped out in a Box this time unlike with the PG wing Zero which they just shipping it in a white plastic bag. :angry:

Edited by F360°

lol glad I missed that one! I'm actually regreting not like buying 2 or 3 more of these so I could build a squadron.

I finished everything but the head for the frame work. I even started messing around and making it walk, man was that fun!

No new pictures of it though since its just the left arm that I completed since the last time I posted...uuuuuuhhhhhhh tomorrow, I think I'll finish the head, and tuesday I'll finish the model indiffenetly.

Okay, I finished the frame pretty much, but I lost the light bulb...so I'm not gonna be able to light it up :( bummer......really.

320647[/snapback]

Is that painted? I assume you're making it blue?

I notice you're spraying the pieces while they are still on the sprue -- how are you going to deal with the marks left after you cut them out?

Edited by armentage

Okay, I finished the frame pretty much, but I lost the light bulb...so I'm not gonna be able to light it up :( bummer......really.

320647[/snapback]

jUst go to radio shack and buy a LEd from there - i think it uses a standard 3 mm - better yet - go and get a purple or blue one to match with your Zaku colors/

Should be like 2-4 bucks

Actually, installing LEDs require the use of resistors to match the output, here is the formula if you don't already have it:

Resistor_Value = (Power_Supply_Voltage - Working_Voltage) / Desired_Current_Flow

ohms = (PSv - Wv) / amps

1amps = 1000ma

basically, a big enough resistor with some power flow with light the LED to some degree. I say if it is going a model kit whick probably mean very little access to the light itself afterward, do it right to start with.

I think LED usually don't burn out, until the resistor is not large enough?

I had another situation lastnight, I was putting the armor together, starting with the head...just as I was putting the coils together I had to put a screw on one end...god I hate the fact I can't figure out which screw is suppose to be which, and I put in the wrong one, now I can't get it out and the first piece of the coil wont go into place cause the screws to thick. So I thought I'd take it to work where we got some good wire cutters and cut the end off since the spring is flexible enough it'll handle just fine with a 1/5th of an inch bit off.

Well now I lost the spring dammit...I'll find it I swear it!

post-600-1124253837_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hikuro

Okay all I have left is the skirt armor and th epower coils on the legs and head.

Now before I do the power coils I want ppl to try and look at this picture. There are 4 different t ype of screws that this thing uses.

the Fat silver to the top left, a shorter and smaller silver to the bottom left, a long black one to the top right, and a thinner shorter black one to the bottom right.

Which screws do I use for the head coils and which ones do I use for the leg coils?

With that, I can finish the Zaku and begin the touch up process of the paint from areas that were snipped by the hobby knife to give a clean complextion.

post-600-1124253890_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hikuro

For anyone working on the PG Zaku - the screws are a pain. They are actually four sets , which are labeled in the manual. I was never able to decipher which one was which.

However, look at dalong part breakdown page -

http://211.233.38.221/dalong/pg/p03/p03_j.htm

it really helps with the scews, somewhat.

Also, becareful with taking out the screws out of the springs , I ruined one of my springs that way.

Okay all I have left is the skirt armor and th epower coils on the legs and head.

Now before I do the power coils I want ppl to try and look at this picture.  There are 4 different t ype of screws that this thing uses.

the Fat silver to the top left, a shorter and smaller silver to the bottom left, a long black one to the top right, and a thinner shorter black one to the bottom right.

Which screws do I use for the head coils and which ones do I use for the leg coils?

With that, I can finish the Zaku and begin the touch up process of the paint from areas that were snipped by the hobby knife to give a clean complextion.

320980[/snapback]

From 4chan

The construction manual has them listed with the ammount they gave you (Like: ビスã€å°ã€‘é»’ --- Screw [small] Black 6+1). It's below the U spure picture on the second page of the construction manual. You can just compare them

Oh well, might as well post the trasnlation to all of them

ビスã€å°ã€‘é»’ --- Screw [small] Black --- 6+1

ビスã€å°ã€‘銀 --- Screw [small] Silver --- 11+2

ビスã€å¤§ã€‘é»’ --- Screw [Large] Black --- 14+2

ビスã€å¤§ã€‘銀 --- Screw [Large] Silver --- 6+1

I just finished this kit a couple nights ago and I had the same problem with the screws. They don't want to unscrew without wrecking the spring. I grabbed the end of the spring with the screw in it with a pair of needlenose pliars to keep the spring from uncoiling while removing the screw, and it worked out fine. The trick is, to not grab the spring so tight that you scuff it with the pliars or pinch it to the threads of the screw. I also came across some spare screws from a dell laptop case that worked much better than the ones that came with the kit. The threads were much smaller and tighter together and almost perfectly fit the thin wire that makes up the spring. I'll have to see if I can scrounge up a few more.

I had another situation lastnight, I was putting the armor together, starting with the head...just as I was putting the coils together I had to put a screw on one end...god I hate the fact I can't figure out which screw is suppose to be which, and I put in the wrong one, now I can't get it out and the first piece of the coil wont go into place cause the screws to thick.  So I thought I'd take it to work where we got some good wire cutters and cut the end off since the spring is flexible enough it'll handle just fine with a 1/5th of an inch bit off.

Well now I lost the spring dammit...I'll find it I swear it!

The detail on the Acguy is insane. Even has Water stream parts for the display stand, and the 3 kids to put on top of it's head from when they walked on it by accident. Lots of internal detail as well.

Nice.

I'll have to try that new info out and make this work...but I still need to find the coil that vanished for the head unit...I just gotta get those coils done, touch up the paint, and decal and it'll be one cool looking finish.

Also that Acguy is lookin sweet, I really think Bandai outdid themselves. While I'm not an Acguy fan, I'd collect it. Hell if I can get a Bandai model number off it, I can order it from another hobby shop.

I'll be getting the HCm Pro Acguy. I wasn't going too, but it's so cute in the meditation position.

I'll look for HCM Pros in the Dealer room at Otakon along with some other stuff probably, but no Master Grades.

I can't fit anymore Master Grades in my cabinets. :( To fit the PG Zaku in I'll have to put my 1/48 Hikaru -1A in battroid and move Roy to the same shelf.

Is anyone planning to get the EX Salamis/Magellan?

It's up on HLJ for 40$~ (with shipping it'll probably go to 50$) I think that's a tad steep for the size of what it is you're getting. From that pic on HLJ, the Salamis hull doesn't look much longer than a HG's leg...

I know it's to be expected of the EX line, but at least the Musai was priced a little more sanely...

Mine came yesterday.  Kit box was shrinkwrapped but they didn't do a good job padding it inside the shipping box, so both the shipping box and the kit box were crunched on the side.   :angry:

Won't start working on it for a while.  Between work, Sakura Wars 5 and WoW there isn't such a thing as 'free time'.   :p

319945[/snapback]

What was that now? What happened to your Bandai boycott? Didn't you have to clear your PG Zakus out once upon a time?

320304[/snapback]

The boycott stopped when the MG Acguy was annoucned, but then again, Bandai has been doing a pretty good job at releasing stuff that I don't find interesting anymore.

I sold most of my duplicate PGs and was only down to 1 Char's Zaku II. Thought I'd get a US version but it turned out to be the Japanese version, no wonder they didn't even want to put the box image online. <_<

I just got this in the mail to pimp out my PG zaku

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The bazookas are great - almost 11 inches. Just need to do some minor sanding and painting on them.

I'm curious if anyone has ever tried tinting the clear parts. I'm debating sparying them a clear red or green and putting them on a zaku, but I was wondering if anyone has tried that. It would be more interesting than the just clear look.

Any idea how to do that. I was thinking about using the tamiya clear paints, but I have no idea how make one lighter or darker (for the skirt armor vs. the rest). .

Sort of gave up on looking for my coil for the Zaku's head, but still he came out looking great, if I had the coil finished he'd be perfect.

But I bought a Zaku Phantom HG 1/100 in the middle of the week, I hate the glossy red paint I used....I should have gone with a dull.

post-600-1124656792_thumb.jpg

post-600-1124656802_thumb.jpg

post-600-1124656816_thumb.jpg

post-600-1124656825_thumb.jpg

Sort of gave up on looking for my coil for the Zaku's head, but still he came out looking great, if I had the coil finished he'd be perfect.

But I bought a Zaku Phantom HG 1/100 in the middle of the week, I hate the glossy red paint I used....I should have gone with a dull.

322085[/snapback]

Just disassemble the parts that are glossy and hit it with a dull lacquer.

Gunota headlines have a whole bunch of links to from Chara Hobby + Wonderfect Summer photos.

http://aeug.blogspot.com/

Lots of cute and Sexy luna pics too,, along with the New MG MKII ver 2.0 , the new Hyaku-Shiki that seems to have a glossly coating similar to the red MG Qubeley Mk-II. There's also new Fix combo pack from the Zeta movie.

137-1.jpg

op,,forgot about the Extra finish 1/60 PG RX-178 MKII

Yeah, Blue Destiny look great,,but why didn't they use Ez-8 as his other changeable form :( Now i'll have to save money to get 2 sets instead of one, knowing that they'll release a Ez-8 version sooner or later, I wonder would it include a GM or RX-79G for that one.

post-1296-1124685553.jpg

From Gunota:

HG Legend Gundam (w/ stand + DRAGOON effects parts, October 20th)

HCM-Pro Strike Freedom Gundam (October)

HCM-Pro Destiny Gundam + Strike Freedom Gundam Deactive set (October)

HCM-Pro Asshimar (November)

Can't wait for the HCM Pros.

Nice to see the HCM pro line going strong. They really have a great series going there. Hope Legend and I-Justice get HCM Pros too.