Proof that CN is going to butcher Gundam SEED

Just caught the trailer for Gundam SEED on CN. Was disappointed but not surprised when I heard the following....

"Caught in the middle, Kira YAMMA-TOE will make his choice...."

Goddamn, how can a channel that shows so much Anime lack even the basic understanding of the basic pronunciation of the Japanese language??

If they had bothered to watch the series undubbed, they would actually HEAR the correct pronunciations of the characters names.

Of course, on the funny side, if they phucked up YAMATO, it should be real interesting to see what they do with names like Raww Le Klueze, Mwu La Fllaga, Natarle Badgiruel etc etc.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Mechamaniac

CN doesn't do the dubs. This is what you get when Bandai America, in the name of cost-cutting, hires non-union Canadian shops to do the dubbing for their shows.

Yeah, but CN does to the commercials I assume, and this was their trailer with the CN dude talking over it.

So, Bandai, and the nobks up there in Canada (eh) may not butcher the actual series, but CN will certainly butcher it in their own way.

BTW - no offense meant to our Canadian brethren, I'm just funnin eh? :lol:

CN doesn't do the dubs. This is what you get when Bandai America, in the name of cost-cutting, hires non-union Canadian shops to do the dubbing for their shows.

well doesn't it normally go the translation route of:

original Japanese >> rights bought and coverted to (HK) Chinese >> the Chinese company outsources to a Korean company for the compolation of the translation >> The translasions are forwarded to a company out of Canada to do the Engrish translation >> then winds up in Mexico for the cheaper labor and production/import costs? <_<

you'd be lucky if Bandai is spelled right :D

Being Toonami, I'm expecting a "sensitizing" of the show, but it would be nice if the names are pronounced right. I am going to make sure I watch it or at least tape it on Saturday to see how it comes out. Hopefully the dub comes out OK, but we'll see. With as many fresh VA's as there are in there, it could go either way.

I am eager to hear how they pronounce the more complex names though. :lol:

Edited by Anubis

Cartoon Network is airing SEED?

Bad pronounciation of Japanese is common in the US. I know people that have been watching anime for years that cannot pronounce character names or any other Japanese word correctly.

Well... to be fair...

Bad pronounciation of English is rampant like wildfire in Japan, too.

Engrish Thread

;)

No offence but bad pronunciation, and spelling for that matter, of English is pretty rampant in the US too

Hybridchild

hahahaha

I was just about to write that.

But I dunno, usually nerds that watch anime are able to spell pretty well.

No offence but bad pronunciation, and spelling for that matter, of English is pretty rampant in the US too

Hybridchild

hahahaha

Tell me about... you folks must forget I live in the Deep South.

Y'all really is a word. I swear it!

Now I'm gonna go back to plucking my banjo and eyeing my sister. :p

Hybridchild

hahahaha

Yup, I do tech support for rednecks based all over the south.

After 4 plus years, all I can say is...... :blink:

The part about Bandai is incorrect. SEED's dub was handled by Ocean, which is a union studio. Ocean has done a crapload of anime dubbing, including Wing, MSG and the first two seasons of DBZ. Zeta Gundam was dubbed by the non-union Blue Water studios, which previously dubbed one of the Zoids series and G Gundam.

Hybridchild

hahahaha

LOL! im on the opposite side i live in Ireland we speak better English then the English do, shame we can't speak our own language

Hybridchild

Oh no, a mispronounced name, by a CN announcer. THE HORROR!

It happens. So do minor changes. I mean it's a dub, what do you expect?

The SEED dub is also going to replace Lacus' original Japanese songs with English versions too, my god, what horrible butchery! Never mind the fact nobody on CN, the primary audience for the show wants or cares about Japanese music.

Who cares. The original content will all be nice and intact on the dvds as it always is.

Edited by Panon

Who cares. The original content will all be nice and intact on the dvds as it always is.

More to the point....why waste time bitching about the CN stuff when you could just buy the DVD and get it unaltered.

I'll be buying the DVDs when they come out, for sure. But while waiting for them, I'll watch the CN version. I have nothing against TV versions of anime so long as they get released uncut on DVD. Hell, I'll watch just to see if a company's learned from past mistakes(BanDai has clearly learned from past mistakes. Each gundam dub is slightly better than the previous thoguh none have been anywhere NEAR perfect yet).

Now, if you wanna know the most horrid plan for anime butchery to ever be thought up, look up Tokyo- er... HOLLYWOOD Mew Mew!!!!

Well judging from the first episode, Seed's dub seems like a mixed bag so far. Not horrible but could be better. Kira sounds ok so far (wait until he cries), so does Cagalli, Yzak, and a couple others.

Fllay stinks on early impression. We'll see once she gets evil.

Rau sucks.

Mwu I'm not sure yet, but not surprizing that he doesn't sound anywhere as cool as his Japanese counterpart.

First episode impression wasn't stellar, but not too ear grating. They pronounced Tolle "Tall" The other names seemed pronounced pretty well so far.

The preview was moved to before the end credits, and then the credits had the usual Toonami/Saturday practice of mixing footage from the intro into the end credits, which were also vastly shortened.

The far greater evil than anything the dub could have done were the damn commercial breaks. Totally ignoring Toonami and Adult Swim canon, they didn't do the one commercial break in the middle but instead had to have done 4 breaks throughout the show. I kid you not. It was ridiculous.

I'll give it a few more episodes to make final judgement of the dub. I'm anxious to see how Lacus does.

The DVD's I will buy though will obviously be viewed in subtitled mode only regardless.

I honestly thought the dub would be worse than what it was. I'm actually pleased so far with the series (even-though it's just the first episode). I'm sure the dubbing is better later on in the series. At the very least watch a few more episodes of the dub before making any rash judgement towards the "shotty job".

I think the dubs were ok too, and the graphics are very good.

Only think that bother is it now rate Y-7 (??). I hope they are planning to release an unedit version for DVDs, sure like to see something good without having to read the subtitle at the same time.

Did you guys notice they edited the sounds also? Machine Gun fire was replaced with something of like a silencer laser pistol on rapid fire...there were no echo like sounds like a normal gun would produce, and the effect would be cut off suddenly. Also notice that at the end when Kira and Rameriz are suppose to be shouting at eachother from height distance, they are talking pretty casual like. Instead of, "HEY! GET DOWN HERE!" "THAT'S OKAY! NO THANKS!" it was more, "Hey...get down here." "That's okay, no thanks.".................I REALLY hate that.....I didn't like the dub that much at all....neither did any of my friends, we were pretty much going, "We could do so much better..." ;) so we'll see.

The omission of the intro, and altering of the end credits just ruin the whole flow of the show.

Does anyone know why the hell they do that?

To fit in more commercials. Glad I picked up the HK set last year though, don't think I'd be able to sit through the series as it is on CN.

The omission of the intro, and altering of the end credits just ruin the whole flow of the show.

Does anyone know why the hell they do that?

To fit in more commercials. Glad I picked up the HK set last year though, don't think I'd be able to sit through the series as it is on CN.

The excessive commercials really killed it, especially since Toonami/Adult Swim always use just the one in the middle. This was just ridiculous and killed the pacing of the show with the poorly timed excessive commercial breaks.

A really bad decision on CN's part to do this to the show. AND they also wasted time with the Toonami CG crap EVERY break too. These breaks alone may make me stop watching it, and I doubt they will stop doing it as the show goes on, so they can squeeze every commercial they can out of it.

CN is not doing right by Gundam Seed so far. Once a week, and the commercials to boot. The dub at least seems workable right now, and may prove good later, but it's surprizing that's not my primary concern about CN's release. If the ratings tank, they need to look long and hard at why and wake up.

The merchandise is also being released in a wierd order.

They have a few of the cheaper $5 (crappy) 1/144 kits in the stores, but as far as the real HG 1/144's it's just the Freedom and Justice listed for now. Why wouldn't they start with the original 5? Doesn't make sense. At one episode a week, it will be 7 months until the Freedom shows up. I was happy to pick up the Freedom at Target for 17 bucks, but it's still wierd. Also, the model's box talks about the N-Jammer canceller, a spoiler.

So far Seed's US treatment is leaving a sour taste in my mouth. I figured it would be turned into a cash cow, but not this bad. Gundam really gets the short end of the stick in the US.

Edited by Anubis