Naruto Crazy Spoiler/Discussion Thread!

isamu

Naruto is getting hyped EVERYWHERE I go! Even on beastiality forums(OK that's a joke)! They are calling this show the second coming of anime!!! So basically what is the deal? Is either Bandai, ADV, Media Blasters or...gasp....Funimation gonna jump all over this show or what? Has there been any announcements or even rumors of Naruto localization? I wanna see this show badly! But without resorting to *sigh*, Kazaa or BT.

Questions....

I am a huge...huge...HUGE Dragon Ball Z fan!

1)Is this show actually better than DBZ or perhaps....gasp...*better* than even Berserk?

2)How good are the fansubbed eps online, video quality wise and english subbed wise?

3)I hate downloading even though I'm on a DSL connection. My hard drive space is just limited right now. Just would rather buy a few dvds. Is MI, FX or anyone else booting these? Link?

Well, just IMHO, anything is better than DBZ <_<

It's a totally different style from the ones you're using as comparisons... not as bloody as Berzerk, although the fight sequences are absolutely amazing. It does feature the DB habit of spanning a fight across quite a few episodes. But overall, the anime moves at a rather nice pace, taking a lot of time for backstory so you actually understand what the characters are going through. Animation quality tends to vary, depending on if the Japanese studio did the episode or if the Korean studio did it.

Do a google and you'll find at least four different groups... likewise, any online vendor that imports DVDs should have a rather large selection.

It's a rather hefty investment though, considering that the entire series is on Ep. 77 this week and still going strong.

Naruto is pretty much Dragonball Z for people that are "too cool" for DBZ. It's a tournament shonen, the story, characters, and whatnot are all pretty weak. There's some nifty characters and designs in there, don't get me wrong, but this is pulp, it's pop-anime, it is a guilty pleasure at best.

There's tons of battles, and each episode they try and force feed you a moral.

As mentioned, the animation level goes up and down. I would agree that it's paced better than DBZ, there does not seem to be anything even remotely close to DBZ's "Longest Hour".

Out of the similar shonen shows popping up in fansub circles, I'd say there's much better shows like Hunter x Hunter and One Piece, that deserve far more credit than Naruto.

As for the "Second Coming of Anime" I would direct you to 'Captain Herlock: Outside Legend the Endless Odyssey' or the (finally!) new Tenchi OVA. 'Galaxy Reailways' is so far an excellent series as well. The new Tetsuwan Atom (Astroboy) is absolutely incredible.

I am a huge...huge...HUGE Dragon Ball Z fan!

Q. Alright, How many DBZ charecters does it take to screw in a Lightbulb?

A. One, it just takes Four Episodes! :ph34r:

HEY THATS MY JOKE :angry: i though of it years ago back when they played dbz at 7am on the WB

oh dudes,

NUMBER ONE...read the manga and you will see that its anything but a tournament shonen

NUMBER TWO...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DL it and watch it SUBBED

and i heard funimation is picking it up and im sure they will rape it like they did for dbz, which was actually a good show subbed, and BLEW dubbed

goku as naruto? kthanksbye

Naruto = kickass.

While there are 2 or 3 battles that last more than one episode a la DBZ, the show is pretty great. To me, its everything I've ever wanted in a ninja show; it takes what is cool about ninjas and expands on the ninja mythos in exciting ways. As far as the characters go, they don't seem to be any more shallow than typical anime characters. When the characters reflect on their pain, I don't know about anyone else but I couldn't help but feel pity for a lot of them. Seeing them overcome their emotional hurdles and kick ass along the way makes me feel like I did when I first started watching anime, or the first time I saw Robotech/Macross. Its got style. I highly recommend this show to anyone, a LOT of people love the show so if you're looking for something that you can brag to other anime nerds about seeing, then look elsewhere. But if you want a show that is a hell of a lot of fun to watch and pretty much anyone can get into, check it out.

Plus, Itachi is a badass.

PS- Read the manga too!

PPS- I don't like DBZ either, but fans of DBZ would probably like it too. Besides, who doesn't like watchin cool fights?

As for the "Second Coming of Anime" I would direct you to 'Captain Herlock: Outside Legend the Endless Odyssey' or the (finally!) new Tenchi OVA. 'Galaxy Reailways' is so far an excellent series as well. The new Tetsuwan Atom (Astroboy) is absolutely incredible.

Amen brother!

I've been wanting to see the Anime for a minute, but I refuse to get the Boots (Engrish subs give me a headache). Naruto's definately a shoo-in for a US release (And a possible TV airing). So I'm confident we'll see it on R1 eventually.

PS: I'm kinda stuck on how does one pronounce the name "Hunter X Hunter". Is it "Hunter-X-Hunter" , "Hunter-Ten-Hunter", or "Hunter-Hunter"

Well, just IMHO, anything is better than DBZ <_<

It's a totally different style from the ones you're using as comparisons... not as bloody as Berzerk, although the fight sequences are absolutely amazing. It does feature the DB habit of spanning a fight across quite a few episodes. But overall, the anime moves at a rather nice pace, taking a lot of time for backstory so you actually understand what the characters are going through. Animation quality tends to vary, depending on if the Japanese studio did the episode or if the Korean studio did it.

Do a google and you'll find at least four different groups... likewise, any online vendor that imports DVDs should have a rather large selection.

It's a rather hefty investment though, considering that the entire series is on Ep. 77 this week and still going strong.

most of the complaints peopel have over dragon ball are from the anime and toe's creative input into it. The manga flows relaly smoothly. The fight between goku and vegeta during buu, was only 1/2 an issue, 10 pages. the anime streched it to 2 episodes.

Ali

I've been wanting to see the Anime for a minute, but I refuse to get the Boots (Engrish subs give me a headache). Naruto's definately a shoo-in for a US release (And a possible TV airing). So I'm confident we'll see it on R1 eventually.

PS: I'm kinda stuck on how does one pronounce the name "Hunter X Hunter". Is it "Hunter-X-Hunter" , "Hunter-Ten-Hunter", or "Hunter-Hunter"

it is HUNTER BY HUNTER btw, if you like naruto and HXH try out one piece.

Naruto is a great show, and it certainly far and above DBZ. Naruto has an actual STORY and features INTERESTING CHARACTERS and CHARACTER GROWTH. I would imagine that someone will jump on the series, now that it's been running in Shonen Jump here for a year. I think the only thing holding it back is the number of episodes. As of now there's 77 episodes, but on American TV airing 5 days a week, that would run out very quickly. Then there'd be too long a wait for more episodes to get here. Same kinda goes for One Piece...even though it's got around 100 more episodes than Naruto, it could also be run through very quickly on TV. I don't think it's a question of if these two shows will be picked up, but merely when.

Naruto is good. I guess you'll have to keep dl'ing the fansubs from AonE which in my opinion are pretty good. Or you can buy those bootleg DVD's from stores like www.import-anime.com.

I've been reading the manga.... and it seems like the anime is going to be airing on TV for the next few years in Japan. The manga is pretty far ahead of the anime.

Oh Yeah....

Rock Lee RULES!!! (read the manga)

Naruto is a great show. I think a lot of the story arcs earlier were drawn out especially since the first part of an episode was an exact retelling of the last 10 minutes of the previous episode. Ugh. Aside from that the characters are interesting and varied. Despite all the characters that are included everyone gets their time to shine and develop.

Definitely worth the time to download them off bit torrent. Like soze said get the ones by Anbu and AonE.

I think a lot of the story arcs earlier were drawn out especially since the first part of an episode was an exact retelling of the last 10 minutes of the previous episode. Ugh.

Haha, yeah... that Zabusa fight just made me skip half the episode to get to the new stuff.

Naruto is good. I guess you'll have to keep dl'ing the fansubs from AonE which in my opinion are pretty good. Or you can buy those bootleg DVD's from stores like www.import-anime.com.

I've been reading the manga.... and it seems like the anime is going to be airing on TV for the next few years in Japan. The manga is pretty far ahead of the anime.

Oh Yeah....

YIKES!! Another 10 years? Geez.

Anyway the thing is...

1)I don't have the hard drive space to download the eps

2)The TV out from my nVidia GeForce2 MX card absolutely REEKS! And no way do I wanna watch this on a tiny 21" monitor.

3)I would much rather buy them on dvd from anyone, as long as they're as good as those AonE and AnBu guys or whatever. 65" RPTV>>>>21" PC monitor. Link please!

Naruto is good.  I guess you'll have to keep dl'ing the fansubs from AonE which in my opinion are pretty good.  Or you can buy those bootleg DVD's from stores like www.import-anime.com.

I've been reading the manga.... and it seems like the anime is going to be airing on TV for the next few years in Japan.  The manga is pretty far ahead of the anime. 

Oh Yeah....

Anyway the thing is...

2)The TV out from my nVidia GeForce2 MX card absolutely REEKS! And no way do I wanna watch this on a tiny 21" monitor.

3)I would much rather buy them on dvd from anyone, as long as they're as good as those AonE and AnBu guys or whatever. 65" RPTV>>>>21" PC monitor. Link please!

You can't spare 175mb a week, and then just delete it after watching it? How big is your hard drive? And like everyone else, I would also recommend reading the manga if you can't get the anime yet :D

Naruto is good.  I guess you'll have to keep dl'ing the fansubs from AonE which in my opinion are pretty good.  Or you can buy those bootleg DVD's from stores like www.import-anime.com.

I've been reading the manga.... and it seems like the anime is going to be airing on TV for the next few years in Japan.  The manga is pretty far ahead of the anime. 

Oh Yeah....

Anyway the thing is...

Well.. actually I burn the episodes to DVD in its DivX file format. Burning to CD will work too, but seeing as to how you can only fit 4 episodes to CD and the number of episodes there are... that's going to be a bit more work. Then I hook up my laptop to a TV and I can watch it on the big screen.

Oh man. Naruto is a great series. True things get drawn out but mostly its due to further developing the plot or contining character development which is great. All the fights are better due to this. This is going to be on long series though. Currently at 77 episodes, about half way to where the manga currently is, maybe a little below that and the manga doesn't seem to be showing any signs of slowing down or ending. This might go on for years which would be great.

I can't wait till its picked up for US released. Anyone will do as long as it isn't 4Kids. I dread them getting the rights to it. Anyone should do a decent job of it. I wouldn't even mind Funimation getting it since they have experience with series like this with the Dragon Ball series and Yu YU.

Ok when people say Naruto is like DBZ they have NOT seen it at all. In DBZ the bad guys are bad guys because... they are bad guys.... and thats about it. Here we have Gaara, Zabuza who are INTENSELY bad dudes that HAVE REASONS OF WHY THEY ARE LIKE WHAT THEY ARE!!!!

Now unless they Naruto= 2nd coming of DBZ have read up to the recent arc in Naruto (why they would read 200 chapters of something they think sucks is beyond me) they they have nothing on Naruto.

And as others said Naruto does overshade other kick ass shonen series One Piece being the best example I think One Piece is by far one of the best anime out there. As for Hunter X Hunter... I has changed the overall tone of the show far to many times

-Starts Happy- first few eps

-goes all adventure like - before start of huner exam- Meet buddies -during hunter exam

- Horrid deaths occur- end of hunter exam

- suck ass - after hunter exam until that city

- INCREDIBLE DARK AND CREEPED THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!! (end of TV show and first OVA)

- Happy fun adventure stuff - Greed Island (2nd and 3rd OVA)

why the dude decided to go from supper fun happy Dragon ball like to something like

The first Kenshin OVA is beyond me.

But yeah check Naruto and One Piece out most definitly.

As for other kick ass anime out there yeah Galaxy railways is friggin AWESOME.

I'm going to be checking out Hunter x Hunter. How many OVA's have there been so far? Animnfo.com has two(last one was released in 2003) along with the TV series. Is there more coming out?

Oh yeah I agree. Really the only thing Naruto has in common with DBZ is drawing out of things but there are reasons this done in Naruto. That's with anyshow like this. It blows away DBZ completely but I'm still a fan of DBZ but not as much as I used to be. Clearly Naruto is the better show but a large degree in ever way.

I'm reading the manga(fan translated) and going to be buying the official ones from Viz. The story is really good if not great. With great characters as well. Rock Lee Rules. Indeed :)

I still never get the Naruto = DBZ thing, yet I own the manga of both titles to their latest volumes in Japan as of this day... <_<

Naruto is pretty cool. With characters with a bit more depth than the DBZ's, and the story is less straight forward than obvious good vs. evil. It based heavily on the unrealistic but cool ninja techniques and packed with funny/interesting characters and big fights. Very addicting, and is most enjoyable when reading the manga without waiting for one episodes every week or two. As the events of the show really happened in a short period of time. Stretching it by watching just a little bit in a long time span is not so fun. :) Same thing with DBZ. Reading the manga with no bad dub or long wait for weekly episodes is the way to go. ;)

DBZ is getting old, but was really cool a decade ago when I read it.

Naruto on the other hand feels very refreshing with good story & fun characters & packed with lots of action. Making it just as addicting if not more than DBZ even for older audiences other than just young teenagers.

Naruto is pretty cool. With characters with a bit more depth than the DBZ's, and the story is less straight forward than obvious good vs. evil. It based heavily on the unrealistic but cool ninja techniques and packed with funny/interesting characters and big fights. Very addicting, and is most enjoyable when reading the manga without waiting for one episodes every week or two. As the events of the show really happened in a short period of time. Stretching it by watching just a little bit in a long time span is not so fun. [smile.gif]  Same thing with DBZ. Reading the manga with no bad dub or long wait for weekly episodes is the way to go. [wink.gif]

Yeah but when you are caught up to the comic you have to wait a week for a meesly 19 pages which are like 1/3 of an ep. So its just as annoying.

Naruto is way better than that DBZ junk but it is a still a boring kid show. Those drag on forever 100+ eps series are definately not my cup of tea.

Fullmetal Alchemist looked like another standard Sholen Jump action adventure at first, but it has developed in a very interesting story. It still have lots of action but that is not the focus of the show.

And who can resist the uber she-geek?

2004040401.gif

yeah but FMA doesn't have the typical Shonen style like DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, HxH.

In most typical shonen series its.

-Bad dude shows up

- good dude and gang fight bad dudes minions

- good dudes friends fight bad guys lose

- good dude fights bad dude wins, if he loses trains then wins

- New more POWERFUL bad dude shows up repeat process over and over again for a few hundred eps.

FMA doesn't do this and besides is FMA even in the jump comics?? (not that it makes it a non-shonen magna if not)

But yeah FMA kicks total ass. Its like happy fun stupid crap then nina comes in and the show never goes back. *thank God*

Oh Yeah....

Anyway the thing is...

Well.. actually I burn the episodes to DVD in its DivX file format. Burning to CD will work too, but seeing as to how you can only fit 4 episodes to CD and the number of episodes there are... that's going to be a bit more work. Then I hook up my laptop to a TV and I can watch it on the big screen.

DVD+R's are our friends. 4.7GB of storage space :) vs. 700MB CD-R

Example: ROD TV= 1 DVD+R + 1 CD-R for the last 2 episodes. Same thing for Chobits. Extremely useful for long shows like Inu-Yasha which I'm up to ep. 142 downloaded.

Kick-ass speedy Plextor DVD+RW can be found for around $170, and it burns DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW.

One of these days I'll have to play download catch up and give Naruto a try, right now I'm downloading another show. Sounds like I'll enjoy it a geat deal though.

Edited by Anubis

She is Winry from Full metal Alchemist the most kick ass anime out there at the moment.

Hmm, may have to sample Full Metal Alchemist as well....