Ace Combat 5

You know, after sitting in a real USAF F-16 simulator, a Flightstick just doesn't do it for me anymore.. (It's hard to describe the throttle motion--clunky and smooth at the same time)

Anyways--this pic confirms what I thought I saw on earlier YF-23 pics:

http://acecombat5.namco.com/screens.php?sc...23_form_041.jpg

They added the gun, and in the right place, too. Right side, in line with the leading edge of the wing. Though I wonder if the real thing wouldn't have done more like the F/A-22 and have a recess and a flip-up door, rather than a bulge.

I also now realize the "Wardog" insignia is very similar (IMHO) to the Wolfpack's. The USAF 8FW Wolfpack, not the USN VF-1 Wolfpack. 8th Wing is quite famous in Asia, since they're stationed at Osan. When something about US planes is made in Japan, you can bet it'll resemble the squadrons at either Kadena, Atsugi, Misawa, or Osan. Here:

Front plane is Wing Commander (new unique logo), second plane is the one I'm talking about (traditional 8FW Wolf's head)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Decisions, decisions:

Gamestop pre-orders come with replica flightsuit patches from the Yuktobanian AF, while EB pre-orders come with those from ISAF. Or ESAF, or whoever it is this time.

(I normally get 99% of my games from my local independent shop, but with bonus DVD PLUS bonus patches from the chains, it's too hard to resist)

Wasn't wolfpack sqn the squadron of Blackman and Robin in vietnam? (Chappy James & Robin Olds)? Kind of crazy how now they are neo wildweasel multirolers...which kicks ass.

Me I guess I am just buying the game as is with no extras. And man....not only does the YF-23 lack a fruity color scheme...its even got a GUN!! Learn konami learn!! AFDS YF-23 in pink?ewww!!!( i know there are 2 other schemes in AFDS but seriously who flies a pink stealth?)

Decisions, decisions:

Gamestop pre-orders come with replica flightsuit patches from the Yuktobanian AF, while EB pre-orders come with those from ISAF. Or ESAF, or whoever it is this time.

(I normally get 99% of my games from my local independent shop, but with bonus DVD PLUS bonus patches from the chains, it's too hard to resist)

We don't have any local independant chains around where I live. And I work at Gamestop. So, I know where I'm getting mine at... already have it preordered... ;)

GAMESPOT HAS NEW VIDEOS!!!

Including a director/producer interview!! Anyhoo Arcade missions are timed....some 3 minutes...where if you shoot special planes you get more time added. Arcade mode is for those who want to fly solo(no wingmen) and want a cheap thrill. He says if your good you can probably get it done in an hour. As you progress new planes are unlocked but for certain planes with upgraded variants, you need kills to earn the upgrade(aka Su-27>Su-34>SU-37) b ut you have to have enough money as well!. The music KICKS ASS. AC2 type soundtrack? YES!! God I love hearing rock again in AC!! SOme missions in story mode 30+ are BRANCHING but for the most part linear.

Yup, Robin Olds was commander of the 8th Wing in Vietnam. A big part of the reason they rock. AC5 has F-4E's, but I'd love an old-school F-4C with a belly-mounted gunpod.

8th Wing has always struck me as being unique in that the WING is known as the Wolfpack, but nobody really knows the squadrons well(currently the 35th and 80th). Very few wings have names--the 1st wing isn't anything AFAIK, they're simply the wing at Langley. 4th wing? Nope. 366th? 388th? 36th? Nope. The 18th Wing is the only other one I can think of, being the Shogun.

Edited by David Hingtgen

YAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAY MiG-31s!! :drool: :drool:

I just pre-ordered AC5 with the flightstick.

I have a Saitek X35 which is closer to the Hori Flightstick than the X45, but I doubt either one will work with the PS2.

Vostok 7

wAnna know why black panther "blackman" chappy james ruled? Aside from flying with wolfpack and commanding part of it(i think?) he also RECOMMENDED and I believe fought hard for the F-14 long range interceptor for the ANG!!! Yes he did~!! It looks rather unique its got thsi huge ass fuel bump on it's underside. Real cool looking and unique though nnot as sexy as the tomcat in navy service.

So so far only one of you ordered the flight stick bundle. IMHO if the flight modeling is not as realistic as AFDS then....I dunno i cant see myself getting the stick..besides its pricey.

From the EB website...

"Order your copy of Ace Combat 5 and receive "The Making of Ace Combat 5" DVD. This DVD contains a review of how the cinematics were created for the game, exclusive artwork and more! Limited Quantities available while supplies last. Bonus item will ship with purchased product, and is only available while supplies last. If you choose In-Store Pickup for this game, please contact the store for bonus item availability."

"Order your copy of Ace Combat 5 and receive An Electronics Boutique exclusive! With your purchase, receive a Limited Edition Collectors Tin with 3 patches from the actual Osean Air Force flight suits in the game! Limited Quantities available while supplies last. Bonus item will ship with purchased product, and is only available while supplies last. If you choose In-Store Pickup for this game, please contact the store for bonus item availability."

...Does anyone have a pic of these patches?

Edited by Druna Skass

Gamestop shows their versions, I imagine the others (from EB) are quite similar, except for being different squadrons...

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=B281067A

PS--anyone else think it's great we get a Tomcat on the cover? Finally, a game that DOESN'T have the F-22 as the end-all be-all promo-plane...

Edited by David Hingtgen

David, I thought the Wolf Pack was at the Kun, (Kunsan?) Also, I'm finally in Japan and workin with the Wild Weasels of the 35th. We got the CGs and about half the fleet online with the CCIP modification. I'm finishing up an Egress (ACES II ejection seat) training course so the -16 world for me right now is pretty tight. I never thought too much about -16s till I got here and started working them. Now I fly them all the time in FS2004 and Jane's USAF. I can't wait till this game comes out so I can hot dog with my kids when I come home pissed off from working on lawn darts all day.

Also another Pacific Air Forces folk lore unit is the Fightin' Chickens (Cocks?) down at Kadena. They are the ones with the tail code of ZZ who supposedly flaked out during an incident in Vietnam where an airstrip was overrun and the maintainers were hung from the rafters with safety wire (lock wire). Supposedly the ZZ unit was to provide close air support and didn't come through. They were then (by the story) barred from returning stateside till they proved themselves in combat.

This has been the way the story usually unfolds. One Chief Master Sergeant I talked to who was stationed at Kadena said this was UNTRUE since Kadena served honorably in Desert Storm. I dunno. There's alot of history in the units around the world. I'm glad to see it trickle into games and the media the way it does sometimes.

Edited by Aztek

Okay, WHY DEAR FIN LORD WHHHYYYYY must my wallet be raped every month?

Hmmm would it be worth the money though honestly to get the stick and throtal? I mean without footpedals as well It just doesn't seem 100% perfect, this is more....80%....plus that's alot of money....

Okay, WHY DEAR FIN LORD WHHHYYYYY must my wallet be raped every month?

Hmmm would it be worth the money though honestly to get the stick and throtal? I mean without footpedals as well It just doesn't seem 100% perfect, this is more....80%....plus that's alot of money....

You ain't kiddin'!

For me, in November alone...

Z Gundam Box Set

Gundam F91 DVD Release

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban DVD Release

Christmas shopping...

Now this...

Time to sell off a kidney... :(

Mhmmm, I got Robotech Invasion next week, Might have to preorder my PG Strike at the local hobby store cause it'll get there faster, also got Halo 2, and Zeta Gundam box set.....not too mention I'm TRYING desperately too I might add, to get saved up for Anime Expo in July....granted it's 9 months away but it'll be alot of money for me.

Sadly no, not all USB keyboards are PS2 compatiable. PS2 sanctioned Keyboards will be labeled with the "PS2 enabled" or "PS2 authorized" something with PS2 logo or wording on all Keyboard boxes.

Also I believe all Logitech keyboards made for the ps2 will ONLY work for the ps2. However, Logitech headsets that you buy for your PS2 will work with your PC.

I'm not sure if Xbox headsets would do the same though.

SONY I think is VERY picky on products such as these....they really do like to milk their customers for all its worth I think, only wanting to sell products that'll only work for their systems...

I even believe there are Mouses which are PS2 sanctioned....but GOD I WANT the joystick and throtal....you may think your hot poo with a controler, but when you try it with throtal and stick, it is WAY different I think....makes you try harder.

Sadly no, not all USB keyboards are PS2 compatiable. PS2 sanctioned Keyboards will be labeled with the "PS2 enabled" or "PS2 authorized" something with PS2 logo or wording on all Keyboard boxes.

Also I believe all Logitech keyboards made for the ps2 will ONLY work for the ps2. However, Logitech headsets that you buy for your PS2 will work with your PC.

I'm not sure if Xbox headsets would do the same though.

SONY I think is VERY picky on products such as these....they really do like to milk their customers for all its worth I think, only wanting to sell products that'll only work for their systems...

I even believe there are Mouses which are PS2 sanctioned....but GOD I WANT the joystick and throtal....you may think your hot poo with a controler, but when you try it with throtal and stick, it is WAY different I think....makes you try harder.

The keyboards from an iMac will work in the PS2..at least the first USB iMac keyboard and the first PS2's.

As for the Saitek flight stick...not a chance. The price on the Hori stick with AC5 is very reasonable. The same stick in Japan averaged $120 when it came out.

How did you guys get the demo to work?

For some reason all I get is the video. . . :(

As nice as it is I want to get in the action!!!!!!!

Ok at a risk of sounding dumb. . .

When I start the demo disk it says "view movie", hit start and boom nothing but the movie comes. . .

Now two questions:

One, is this the same demo that comes with the "DEF Jam 40 covers" OCT mag?

Two, is there a special section I should be looking in to start this demo???

A friend of mine and I both got this mag for this reason and neither disk shows the demo, jujst "play movie" for Ace Combat 5. . .

Well the game test at the Games Convention wasn't that bad . I like the idea of having "Slash" and "Edge"(AC2) as wingmen again. Also the multiple/interactive story of your wingmen ... if they die! never thought naamco could tikle that much out of the PS2.Only the teran animations suck. So crashes on the ground don't look that good.

In fakt I only went to the GC because of Ace Combat 05...and Killer7/MGS3/RE4/...

The Story is even better than distant thunder or Electrosphere.