Ace Combat 5

I started out on AC4....what's the back story to the other three games? AC5 is supposed to have something to do with AC2, what is it?

Ace Combat 3 takes place in the future on the Usea continent. Two coporations (New Works and General Resource), some government agency the UPEO (Universal Peace Enforcement Organization), and a terrorist group (Ouroburos) are fighting over an experimental fighter, it's pilot and an AI system.

Ace Combat 2 is also on Usea and involves a war on the whole continent, though I don't know if it involves any other part of the world. While the national leaders were away at a confrence a rebel group took over. I'm sure you'll recognize the rebel capital, St. Ark, and one of their main powerplants located at Faith Park. I'm guessing this civil war could be "the war 15 years ago" mentioned in the demo's opening.

Though they don't really have any refferences to each other aside from the names of the cities. I AC3 there's no mention of the huge battle over St. Ark at the end of AC2. Nor is there any mention of AC2 in AC4, hell I think the only time they even tell you the continent's name is in 4.

I think AC4 and AC5 have a much greater link than 2 and 5. I mean just look at the map of AC5's world--it's AC4's, exactly. Murska Air Base, Farbanti, North Point---nearly every place mentioned and flown over in AC4 is right there in AC5. It seems to focus on a different part of the world, but it's the same world.

Task for this week: play through AC2 again, paying attention to story. :) (I sold AC3, thought it was utter crap IMHO, but keep and dearly love AC2)

I just went through AC2 again. Yeah, I forgot about the "apparently they're really Sopwith Camels" 9,000ft ceiling.

Anyways---the AC2 F-14 is right! No ailerons, no glove-vanes, and uses h.stabs as its primary control, and they are its only controls with the wings swept! How'd they get it right there, then TOTALLY screw it up for AC4, and then slightly fix it a bit for AC5? Maybe AC6 will get it right---like AC2 did! :p

Only place I definitely recognized was North Point, which is the very last mission. Will quick cycle through AC4 again to see if anything else looks familiar now. AC4 starts at the eastern part of the continent and heads NW, AC2 starts SW and heads NE. And AC5 appears to be primarily on a different continent all together.

I think AC4 and AC5 have a much greater link than 2 and 5. I mean just look at the map of AC5's world--it's AC4's, exactly. Murska Air Base, Farbanti, North Point---nearly every place mentioned and flown over in AC4 is right there in AC5. It seems to focus on a different part of the world, but it's the same world.

Task for this week: play through AC2 again, paying attention to story. :) (I sold AC3, thought it was utter crap IMHO, but keep and dearly love AC2)

Out of curiousity, David, what makes you say that Ace Combat 3 was crap? Granted, familiar planes like the Eurofighter were made less familiar, and the rest of the planes were totaly fictional... and yes, the story in the American version was a hack of the original Japanese version. But I don't recall playing Ace Combat for story... and two thirds of the planes were at least based on real aircraft.

Aside from that, the gameplay is basically the same as Ace Combat 2 (or 4, or from what we can see, 5). And while Ace Combat 4 was mostly "blow stuff up until the time limit), Ace Combat 3 had some interesting missions. A couple that stand out in my mind still are the one where you chase the train, the one where you had to take out the smoke stacks so that the blimp wouldn't crash into them, the one where you take out the big virus facility, and the one where you fought the Night Raven inside Geofront. And 36 total missions! I mean, did Ace Combat 4 even break 20? I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking Ace Combat 4, because I loved it... but I liked Ace Combat 3, too. Maybe the Delphinus did look stupid. Sure, it would have been cooler to have an F-14. But to call a good game crap just because it's missing the F-14? C'mon. The only game in the series that was crap was Air Combat... and let's face it, Air Combat had nasty controls, ugly graphics, ridiculous paints, and lame missions.

@David Hintgen

which version of the F-15 Active they used in AC2 ? They had stealth like stabs not seen on the actual plane. I always wondered how the guns work because of clearance problems with the F-18 stab size canards.

Also i heard the XFA-27 is based on an actual stealth concept. Being a swing winger

i wonder could it have been a contender for the NATF.

@mikeszekely

I am surprise someone mentioned Air Combat(AC1). That was the prehistoric grandfather of the series. Think you could fly only 10 planes and just a handful of missions.

I have AC3 and think it has some of the freshest mission designs ever seen in a shooter. Enter Geofront was way too cool. In fact all the planes in AC3 are unmanned drones controlled by AI.

The Aerozoa, Delphinus and Orcinus are seem to be named after marine animals and even have a seaquest like organic likeness. I actually though Delphinus 3 was cool and it had those plasma laser thingy.

The Japan version allows you to fly the Remora and all other planes in different colors. You could play out different endings none of which really good in that version.

AC3---I hated every fake plane design, hated the music, didn't like any of the missions. Didn't think much of the environment/background graphics, either. IMHO, AC2 is better in every way. And AC4 beats all. Few GOOD missions are far more enjoyable than many "eh" ones. (See AFDS)

AC2 F-15---there is only 1 F-15ACTIVE, and no game has ever had it. They *always* have the F-15S/MTD. It's really easy to tell. S/MTD has rectangular nozzles, ACTIVE has round ones. In real life, the gun must be removed to make room for the canard actuators. It's hard to tell the pre-vectoring but-has-canards NF-15B from the ACTIVE, since they both have round nozzles---you have to get close to see the very different nozzle actuators and linkages on the ACTIVE.

I always thought the XFA-27 was totally made up. Cruciform tail and TIE engines is enough for me. Plus the center/forward fuselage and gloves are 100% F-14. :) And it's got a lot of "Flanker parts".

Edited by David Hingtgen

Those were bonus planes thrown in from other old Konami games. They weren't intended to be "serious" planes. Same as if you put in the Starship Enterprise, a TIE fighter, or a Star Destroyer.

The Delphinus etc, were supposed to be "real" planes, in the future.

there's a picture over at acecombat.net that actually shows ALL of the nations from AC2-5 as part of the same world... it's pretty neat to see them all linked.

there's a picture over at acecombat.net that actually shows ALL of the nations from AC2-5 as part of the same world...

I looked but couldn't find it. Link? Did find this though, very interesting and cool:

<<<Unlocking new aircraft is a bit more complex than simply beating a mission and getting a new plane. Instead, the game totals up a record of how many kills you've earned with each aircraft -- once the kill meter is full, it unlocks a new plane that descends from the first plane. Racking up kills with a vanilla F-16, for instance, might unlock the improved Block 60 variant. Focusing on a particular plane you like, then, will unlock more planes like it, but at the same time, you'll have to develop skills with a wide variety of aircraft types to unlock the complete selection of 50+ planes. >>>

That'll rock. Start with F-14A, then you can get the B, then the D, as you gain more experience. Which also explains the many F-16's we've seen. Hmmmn, wonder if the Super Hornet comes from the Legacy Hornet, or is considered its own line.

And it also means you won't get a dozen different Flankers unless you want to spend time doing it. I think this is a great idea---if you really like a plane, you can get better versions of it. Wonder if you still have to save up money to pay for them, or buy weapons like in AFDS?

there's a picture over at acecombat.net that actually shows ALL of the nations from AC2-5 as part of the same world...

I looked but couldn't find it. Link? Did find this though, very interesting and cool:

<<<Unlocking new aircraft is a bit more complex than simply beating a mission and getting a new plane. Instead, the game totals up a record of how many kills you've earned with each aircraft -- once the kill meter is full, it unlocks a new plane that descends from the first plane. Racking up kills with a vanilla F-16, for instance, might unlock the improved Block 60 variant. Focusing on a particular plane you like, then, will unlock more planes like it, but at the same time, you'll have to develop skills with a wide variety of aircraft types to unlock the complete selection of 50+ planes. >>>

That'll rock. Start with F-14A, then you can get the B, then the D, as you gain more experience. Which also explains the many F-16's we've seen. Hmmmn, wonder if the Super Hornet comes from the Legacy Hornet, or is considered its own line.

And it also means you won't get a dozen different Flankers unless you want to spend time doing it. I think this is a great idea---if you really like a plane, you can get better versions of it. Wonder if you still have to save up money to pay for them, or buy weapons like in AFDS?

That's sounds like it could be a good idea, as long as it's F-15 to F-15S/MTD, and not F-15 to F-22. I mean, I'm cool with the F-15, but I'd rather fly other planes. My favorite planes, though, are the two ATF.

I'd love to see more X-planes, like the X-44, or even concepts like the VG wing F-22 and F-117 that were being considered for the Navy.

David, while I understand that someone who loves real planes as much as you do would be really turned off by the fruity totally fiction designs in Ace Combat 3, it's really a shame that you couldn't have kicked back with a fictionally upgraded real-world fighter and gotten into it. I was actually dissapointed a little with Ace Combat 4, because while I liked the gorgeous visuals, real-world fighters, and more military less sci-fi story, the fact that it was half as long and filled with mostly ho-hum average missions after a game as long and with as much variety in missions as Ace Combat 3.

I'm wondering if they know enough about the X-29 to actually make it an "upgrade" and not just toss it in. It'd have an awesome pedigree:

F-5A>>>>F-5E>>>>F-20>>>>X-29. But I haven't seen any F-5E's etc.

Heh heh, I wonder if the YF-23 is unlocked by maxing out the F-15 and F-18. (There are a lot of those plane's parts inside it, only the engines and airframe itself was new)

That's sounds like it could be a good idea, as long as it's F-15 to F-15S/MTD, and not F-15 to F-22. I mean, I'm cool with the F-15, but I'd rather fly other planes. My favorite planes, though, are the two ATF.

I'd love to see more X-planes, like the X-44, or even concepts like the VG wing F-22 and F-117 that were being considered for the Navy.

David, while I understand that someone who loves real planes as much as you do would be really turned off by the fruity totally fiction designs in Ace Combat 3, it's really a shame that you couldn't have kicked back with a fictionally upgraded real-world fighter and gotten into it. I was actually dissapointed a little with Ace Combat 4, because while I liked the gorgeous visuals, real-world fighters, and more military less sci-fi story, the fact that it was half as long and filled with mostly ho-hum average missions after a game as long and with as much variety in missions as Ace Combat 3.

Mike it works EXACTLY how you want it too! Here is how it goes. You gain ACCESS to differnet planes like the flanker and F-15 as you progress through the game. Now to get the UPGRADED flankers or eagles, you havbe to keep scoring enough kills in the base plane in order to upgrade it. So

More money=access to plane

More kills=upgrade the plane

And yea so far this is what I got

F-15C>E>ACTIV

F-22>FB-22(concept)

I know it progresses for legacy to super hornet but not sure if this includes the EA-18G or if the platypus is an upgrade flanker but according to the growth tree @acecombat.jhp this seems to be right.

And why they put a SU-37 instead of a SU-30MKI boggles my mind. The IAF were able to choose provisions from the 37 and put them onto the MKI and it has BETTER thrust vectoring!! 37 only vectors in pitch axis, MKI and vector in ANY axis! Plus much more stuff. MKI is actually the most deadly flanker in the skies now. And THIS actually got produced for the Indian Air Force!! I believe now the Russian Air Forc3e is geting Su-27SMK's and Mig-29SMT(hunchback) and already have regular SU-30MK.

David, @gamespot, they have a new interview with the director/producer of ace combat that shows footage of the game along with mainly an F-5!!!! The F-20 is CONFIRMED in the game....so perhaps ..

F-5E>F>F-20?

F-5E>F-20>X-29?

BTW OA-10B night attack warthog is in game as well.

Mike, me personally I think ace combat 3 lacked the charisma and overall FUN that ace combat 2 had and later ace combat 4 had as well. Ace combat 3 had way too predictable AI even on the hardest setting and only on song stuck out. I am sure tha japanese version was way better but I never got a chance to play it. People say it was decent. I mean not only did they leave the most ultimately greatest god like plane eever convieved by man(F-14 Tomcat) they also put in a super hornet instead, which is like the worst thing you could ever do to the Ace combat franchise. LOL. But seriously though the gameplay and blurred replay were cool ace combat 3 seemed too much like a shell of a game rather than an actual game. PErhaps they should add a ported version of the japanese AC3 in a future ace combat game. Hell implement the F-14 and add COCKPITS. ! Lord knows with pS2 they got enough diskspace since its Dvd format!

I'd like the SU-30MKI as well----the SU-37 is a one-of-a-kind demo plane, whereas the MKI is actually in service in decent numbers with a major air force.

Though all I really want is a Sea Flanker. Su-27K/Su-33.

Good, F-5 family is there.

Finally---you know, I wish they actually "delayed" the availability new planes a bit in most flying games. I mean, how are you supposed to have fun with the F-4 and F-5 etc, when they make the F-16 and MiG-29 available like 2 missions in? Once you get them, you don't really need to buy anything else until the F-22 or Super Flankers become available.

Ok, post-finally: I would make the biggest line possible for the Hornet:

YF-17>>>F-18A>>>>F-18D>>>>>F-18E>>>>EA-18G

F/A-18D because the C wouldn't be much different from the A, but the D could be the USMC version optimized for night ops, and have much greater ground-attack potential than the A.

Here's what we got so far, please fill in anything I've forgotten.

Tornado GR.1

Tornado ADV F.3

Eurofighter

JAS-39 Grippen

Hawk T1.A

F-14A

F-14B

F-14D

A-10

OA-10

F-16C

F-16C B60

F-16XL

F-2A

F/A-18C

EA-18G

F/A-18E

F-4E

F-4X

F/A-22

YF-23

F-35

MiG-31

MiG-29A

MiG-21

Mirage-2000

R-B01- Rafale

R-M01- Rafale- Navy model

SU-27

SU-32

Su-35

SU-37

F-5A

F-20

X-29

A-6E

F-15

F-15E

F-15 ACTIV

F-117

That's only 40 aircraft.

I'd really like to see an SU-33 for Carrier missions

Any Ideas how these get grouped together, which do you get first followed by the others?

Edited by Coota0

F-4X

Mig-29A

Su-34(not 32)

F/A-18C

F-14A/B

Mig-29A

Activ is confirmed

the newwest trailer @projectaces is shows either a XFA-02 or XFA-27. Refer to hangar in trailer. Hasbroken canard and slanted vert stabs. Long nose. It can be either one but being thatAC2 is the war referenced "15 years ago" in teh trailer when lookin@ plane they say "wow they still make these:? or something like that.

There is also one moer F-4 variant besides the E/X

I think the Tornado ADV F.3 is in the game as wel as mirages.

It can be either one but being thatAC2 is the war referenced "15 years ago" in teh trailer when lookin@ plane they say "wow they still make these:? or something like that.

Where does it say that "the war 15 years ago" was AC2? I'm pretty sure that war was on the Usea continent. Comona Islands, St. Ark, were two battle sites in AC2.

in one of the first trailers they say somethjing like "yea the old war 15 years ago". According to many ace combat sites and forums, the war mentioned is Ace comba 2. And nagase in AC5 ius supposedly Edge from Ace combat 2(the girl wingman). But yea she looks rather yopung to be flying 15 years earlier though.....

Either way, after watching the new trailer, they're making it seem like Namco's pulling the Shadow Conspiracy card. I mean what's this demon they're talking about, sounds almost like the decription for a shadow organization. The official site lists Nagase's age as 23 so if 5 has links to 2 and 4 then she's not the same Edge. Daughter? Sister, maybe?

Usea's not the only contient so that war could easily be somthing else. I'm pretty sure AC2 was a civil war since they mention a coup de' ta. I'm guessing Yuketobania and Osea never really liked each other but something forced them to an uneasy alliance 15 years ago. Maybe a thrid super-power nation that threatend both of them...

I want an F-4C with a gunpod. Or an F-4S, the final front-line Navy version. Or it'd be *really* cool to start with an F-110A. :)

AC2 really has no story, having just played through last night. They're only called "rebels". So they (Namco) can pretty much ret-con any story they want for AC2.

supposed to be same continent as 2 as well. in fact they say all of the ace combat series take place in the same country. Some levels or points in 4 are same in 2 and 5.

the demon of razgrir isn't a shadow govt, it's the new enemy ace of this game. Think yellow 13 only AC5=demon of razgrir. They say this dude is from the north sea so I have a feeling he will be mainly ambushing naval flights. They also say there is a traitor in the game. All this is from that one new trailer. Also said is that bartlett either dies or is shot down, afterwards they tell nagase to lead but she says "no blaze will lead and I will cover, I'm not losing another flight lead". Blaze is the character that you play. Sadly the new trailer plays "blurry" by puddle of mud. I wanted to here soem in game music and I hope to hell this new game has NO pop music whatsoever!!! However from the gamespot developer interview video and another trailer I viewed, it seems the music in game is reminscent of Ace combat 2(YES!!).

*EDIT#2!!!!!!!!! rar!!! OK it turns out razgriz is bad and then turns good. whoop tee do I was wrong! wait...maybe just partially. Pay close attention to the vocals in trailer. It says it.*

You guys should really watch the new trailer. I really can't tell if I am looking at an XFA-27 or an X-02. The nose is long, and there is a broken canards. From what I gather, they get an older special experimental advanced plane from long ago and this probably aids in the war. (get one to repair and refurbish).

F-4X is the experimental F-4 with canards. I think. it was either that or CCV I forget.

*EDIT!!!

http://www.projectaces.net/media/ac5_trailer_100104.mov

The link for the NEW trailer!!! *

1up.com says nagase is a holdover from part 2. BTW on carrier missions you actually start in plane on the ELEVATOR and then go tro the CAT and then hand signals tell you to launch!!

*another EDIT!!! Ok for a HUGE 35.5 meg trailer!!! compiled of 3 parts. go here!!

http://www.projectaces.net/media/ac5_full.mov

Bigger resolution too!!*

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

So five takes place in Usea too? :blink: Are you sure about that?

I know 2-4 were all on the same continent, but if you look at the map I posed a few pages back Yuketobania and Osea are on two diffrent continents and neither of then are on Usea.

I still think the door's still open for a conspiracy, when they're looking at the wreaked plane.

First guy.

"I'm surprised they're still making 'em like this"

Second guy

"They? Who's this they you're reffering to?"

Then it says Enemies in the Shadows.

I don't know, I'm going to wait till I see some direct reference to some event that happend in 2 (A battle over St. Ark or Port Edwards, Scarface, etc.) before I belive that war was AC2.

I can't tell what kind of plane that was those two guys were looking at with the tarp still on it. Unless it's something totaly new I'm guessing it's either an X-02, XFA-27, or that forward swepted ZOE in the last level in AC2.

Shin--would you mind not posting potentially large spoilers? (death of somebody) I know, it's apparently in larger version of the trailer, but I hadn't watched it yet, and hadn't planned to. I was just about to post a "when the game comes out, try not to spoil it until at least most of the people here have gotten that far" post...

This isn't an RPG, but I do think AC4 had a AWESOME story IMHO, and hope AC5 matches it. Feel free to "spoil" planes, but players and even locations could be pretty big spoilers IMHO. As in, if the last stage in the game ends up being Farbanti or something...

Yes, I am the type of person who dislikes even speculation/guesses on plots, as someone always does guess correctly, and then you're thinking about it as you play, and it's little/no surprise when it happens.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Back when the Navy and Air Force had separate designation systems, the F4H (Navy designation) needed an Air Force designation. Next one up was F-110. There technically never was an F-4A equivalent (YF4H maybe), so the F4H-1 became the F-4B for the Navy, and the Air Force's F-110A Spectre became the F-4C Phantom II. All other models continued with the "joint" designation system--thus the F-4D/E/F/G for the Air Force, F-4J/N/S for the Navy. (no Navy F-4 ever had a gun, thus fewer variants)

Here's an F-110:

http://www.strange-mecha.com/aircraft/Cancel/f110a.jpg

Now, the F-110A is the F-4C. However, all F-4C's came into existence after already being re-named F-4C. Any F-4 painted up as "F-110" is actually an F-4B, since the F-4C didn't exist yet. But the USAF wanted some for training and photo ops, so they borrowed some from the Navy.

All you could ever want to know about F-4's:

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f4.html

His site is actually an incredible wealth of info for planes, beats GlobalSec/FAS.org

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/uscombataircraft.html

Edited by David Hingtgen

Shin, dude.. chill out... <_<

Razgriz is just a legend and anything beyond that is SPECULATION... It hasn't been specified who or what it is (even the folks at www.acecombat.net don't know yet what it is, and they're bigger fanatics than we are... Druna Skass and I are both members over there..), even in the trailer they weren't 100% sure what it meant.

.... and POM's "blurry" was QUITE well applied to the newest trailer... if they put it in the soundtrack I'd be very happy with it. I was actually pretty sad that there wasn't more on my AC4 soundtrack CD, as good as it was.

Edited by Skull Leader

Shin--would you mind not posting potentially large spoilers? (death of somebody)  I know, it's apparently in larger version of the trailer, but I hadn't watched it yet, and hadn't planned to.  I was just about to post a "when the game comes out, try not to spoil it until at least most of the people here have gotten that far" post...

This isn't an RPG, but I do think AC4 had a AWESOME story IMHO, and hope AC5 matches it.  Feel free to "spoil" planes, but players and even locations could be pretty big spoilers IMHO.  As in, if the last stage in the game ends up being Farbanti or something...

Yes, I am the type of person who dislikes even speculation/guesses on plots, as someone always does guess correctly, and then you're thinking about it as you play, and it's little/no surprise when it happens.

Which is why I decided to avoid the thread for the next few weeks. Did it with Kill Bill, the Matrix sequels, and the Spiderman 2 threads too. :)

Edited by Gaijin