Batman Begins !

Saw it last night. I thought it rocked. The only thing that seemed goofy or out of place were the occasional lines that were obviously thrown to "punch up" the script or to please the studio with trailer soundbites.

Usually it was anytime they praised the Batmobile.

Other than that, the movie really works. Gotham was a terrific redeisgn, Neeson was fantastic, Bale was great - but he could use some work on his "Bat-Voice."

The movie definitely made Batman as a character make more sense than any other adaptation.

Saw Batman Begins last Friday.

Before the movie, I didn't like the new Batmobile design, but now I've watched it, I do. But I gotta ask what's up with having to lie flat on your belly in order to use some of the systems. I thought that was pretty silly. I guess it's one of those things that the producers or art director (or whowever) thought looked cool, but didn't really think it through carefully.

And Neeson was Qui Gon (perhaps a darkside Qui Gon), but Qui Gon none the less. During the training swordfight on the ice, I kept expecting him to mention the force, especially when he started giving his speach about anger.

I thought the begining set up explaining how Bruce Wayne became Batman could have been a bit shorter, by say 20-30 mintutes rather than take up half the film. It would have been nice for batman to have a bit more screen time.

As for the fight scenes with Batman, I understand why they took the close up approach, but it would have been nice to have at least one major fight where we actually get to see Batman doing some moves, rather than just a flury of blurred movement and shadows.

overall I did quite enjoy it and hope the same director and main cast members get the greenlight for a sequel.

Graham

IIRC form "the making of speed" when the bus jumped, they had to make a special harness for the bus driver to protect his spine and neck from the landing impact.

kinda crappy that Katie's seat didn't move....

maybe it was for the driver to maintain control

Anyway best Batman film IMO.

how about this new version with no damage and not black

I am not sure at this moment if this is an easily available variant or not

Noel

I've never seen that before. Did you see if your nearest toy store has other units of the same variation? Now I wonder exactly how many variations there are for this toy.

Edited by areaseven

Saw it last night, loved it. It did a nice job of expanding the Batman universe when compared to Burton and the other loser's films, where the settings were just all Gotham and nothing else. I liked how we have Bruce Wayne travelling the globe in this one in his search for inner peace.

Loved the Batmobile but I think that my favorite performance was by Morgan Freeman. Nicely done. Bale did a great job, he really had to carry the movie and he did it well.

The ending was great, I can't wait for the next one.

I have yet to see Liam Neelson in a non-teacher/mentor kinda role and Morgan Freeman is always the "dont mess with the old guy" character.

Just a slightly OT observation. ;)

Saw it and it rocked.. Best Superhero movie ever, untill someone makes a movie about me that is.

But who could they cast as Agent ONE that would capture your aura of awesomeness? Unless you pull an Audie Murphy and play yourself, that is.

Edited by bsu legato

Saw it and it rocked.. Best Superhero movie ever, untill someone makes a movie about me that is.

But who could they cast as Agent ONE that would capture your aura of awesomeness? Unless you pull an Audie Murphy and play yourself, that is.

Arnold.

Arnold.

Possibly. He's a little old to play you, though. I suppose they could use that digital "facelift" technology they used to make Anthony Hopkin look younger in Red Dragon. Unless of course the story is about some future exploits you have when you're 60.

Boys, here's a link to a post I found@ROC concerning the new tumbler toy. Apparently there is 3 of them now! BTW check out the world of imports forum, its modded by me!

BTW Noel did you pick up the collectors edition batman begins figure? Its a super articulated regular batman figure, only with rubberized costume and I believe wire cape. Also it is 5 inches in deluxe packaging. From what I recollect right now it is only available in asia.

Two friends of mine participated in a media event put on by entertainment store Stage Nine in Old Sacramento, California. Stage Nine had Kevin Conroy, the well-known Batman Animated voice actor, and a tour suit for Batman Begins. Along with posing pictures with children and adults, both friends helped to judge a children's costume contest. Here are a few images until I have a chance to post more.

MC introduces Kevin and the Batman Begins costumer.

th_7e4_a89_IMG_0207.jpeg

My friend, dressed as a Jim Lee Hush style caped crusader, and his wife, the current style Catwoman, pose with a City of Sacramento police officer who handles one of their older show cars.

th_18b_595_IMG_0230.jpeg

A picture with Kevin Conroy

th_70c_IMG_0235.JPG

Our dark knight and femme fatale pose with child costume contestants.

th_f3d_882_IMG_0293.jpeg

After the event, the Warner Bros' costumer wanted to grab some pictures of himself on the riverboat, the Spirit of Sacramento, with the Sacramento River bridge behind him.

th_97c_IMG_0328.JPG

i saw it last night. i thought it was a good adaptation, almost better then burton's version. the first half is rather slow, but neccessary to develop the character and to explain the background.

*****SPOILERS*****

loved:

-the batmobile (bat tank?) i thought it was incredibly stupid in the promo pics but it in the film it really shows its stuff (certaintly better and more realistic then the previous batmobiles)

-the 2 chicks who are sitting one top of the other in the bruce's euro sports car ;)

-katie holmes: the erect nipples at the end in the silver blouse. yeah that was only there to keep the guys interested ;)

liked:

-the remaining cast: thought they all played their parts very well. the scarcrow was nicely done.

-the story: some elements reminded me of the No Man's Land story arc in the comics. the grittiness was almost up to Frank Miller's standards

-morgan freeman: just gold

meh:

-katie holmes. yeah she's attractive but she looks way too young for the part. if she were gordon's daughter i would believe it; playing the assistant DA..no way.

-the fight scenes: they just weren't that dynamic. a wider shot so we can see more of batman's ninja training would have been nice (i.e. using flash bombs, throwing bat symbols, etc)

-the story: after a great build up and quite a few scenes that portray the dark and *realistic* nature of gotham the use of a microwave emitter and the drug was a little campy for my taste. i would have liked something a bit less comical for a movie of this tone.

-the guy behind me: kept kicking my seat

-the guy down in front: kept turning his cellphone on. WHY????? the dumb ass was probably sending text messages. annoying as hell.

question:

i haven't read the comics with Ra's Al Ghul but wasn't he supposed to be asian? also isn't he an immortal?

Edited by MrDisco

question:

i haven't read the comics with Ra's Al Ghul but wasn't he supposed to be asian? also isn't he an immortal?

I thought he was Arabic. Ra's Al Ghul is Arabic for "the Demon's Head." His right hand man, Ubu, was always calling Batman "infidel" as well, and I thought infidel is a Muslim term for a non-Muslim.

I saw it opening night down here, it rocked, I just havent posted about in on here yet. the grittiness of the movie set the tone for what it really was, I was definately impressed.

So does anybody know if the movie Batmobile actually runs. I think I recall reading somewhere that it actually drives pretty well.

Next question, does anybody have the Bandai model kit yet and if so, how is it?

Graham

They made 8 Batmobiles

Real Specs:

Cost ~$500,000 USD

Overall Length:

15 feet

Overall width:

9 feet

Weight:

2.5 tons

Tires:

(2x) Hoosier racing tires (Front)

(4x) 44" Super Swamper tires (Rear)

Recorded Performance:

110MPH top speed

0-60MPH <6 seconds

6' Maximum vertical jump

30' Maximum horizontal jump

Engine:

350CID Chevrolet V8 (primary)

Rear-mounted jet engine

Edited by ComicKaze

Guest Bromgrev
A pic of the Batmobile model kit

That looks quite nice, actually. A little bit Judge Dredd (from the old days of 2000AD), IMO.

Real Specs:

6' Maximum vertical jump

30' Maximum horizontal jump

Rear-mounted jet engine

Heh, first time I read through those specs I thought the jump figures were inches and wasn't impressed, then I realised that that it was in feet.....wow!

I wonder what the thrust of the jet engine is?

Graham

to my knowledge last i checked ras al ghul was an american explorer who had found the lazarus pits way back in the 1920's or so, he used them to keep himself young, and over the years built his criminal empire, but he was once american, now that is what batman the animated series says, how true that is to the comic im not quite sure as i have never read any of the comic dealing with his origin. the cartoon had a way of sometimes changing somethings, but it was pretty true to the comic, unlike that horrible spiderman cartoon which changed damn near everything

Earlier tonight, I talked to one of my friends, who works as a senior manager at AMC Theatres in Burbank, CA. Last night, I mentioned that I saw the Tumbler in person. My friend talked to one of the Warner Bros. execs and got some detailed info on the vehicle:

- Eight Tumblers were made at $500,000 each. Two were destroyed during production. One has functional weapon bays.

- The Tumbler weighs no more than three tons, yet it can go 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. :blink:

He also asked the WB exec if the company will show off any more movie cars. The exec said two words: General Lee.

According to a booklet they handed out at the theater, they built 4 Bat tumblers and they cost about $1.7 million each. Wonder where they got that info.

Earlier tonight, I talked to one of my friends, who works as a senior manager at AMC Theatres in Burbank, CA. Last night, I mentioned that I saw the Tumbler in person. My friend talked to one of the Warner Bros. execs and got some detailed info on the vehicle:

- Eight Tumblers were made at $500,000 each. Two were destroyed during production. One has functional weapon bays.

- The Tumbler weighs no more than three tons, yet it can go 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. :blink:

He also asked the WB exec if the company will show off any more movie cars. The exec said two words: General Lee.

According to a booklet they handed out at the theater, they built 4 Bat tumblers and they cost about $1.7 million each. Wonder where they got that info.

Okay, I poked around a little for more info. According to Batman: Birth of the Demon (TPB, 1992), Ra's Al Ghul was born 600-700 years ago to a tribe of nomads in the desert of Arabia, who's ancestors originally came from China. So, I guess that would make him both Arab and Asian.

Al Ghul was interested in science, so went to town, married, and became a doctor. During that time, he discovered the Lazarus Pit. He used it to save a dying prince, but I guess he wasn't prepared for the temporary insanity that the Pit causes. The prince flipped out and killed Al Ghul's wife. The king didn't want to punish his son, so he declared that Al Ghul had commited the crime.

Al Ghul escaped, rejoined his tribe, and then sent the prince gifts infected with a deadly disease. The king and the prince went to Al Ghul for a cure, but instead he killed them both, then led his tribe to raze the city and kill everyone in it. Afterwards, Al Ghul spent the next several centuries traveling the world, picking up new skills, building up the League of Assassins, and amassing a huge fortune.

NOel, here's a link to the batmobile repaint pic

http://www.rocuniverse.com/forums//viewtopic.php?t=4681

My forum is here http://www.rocuniverse.com/forums//viewfor...e4d8db9df131f7a

The super articulated batman figure is here

http://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_052705b.htm

I have heard people say they bought it at forbidden planet, others overseas in asia. Apparently limited to 5000.